1330 W. Morse Ave.
Chicago, IL 60626Neighborhood:
North of Foster / Rogers Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maynestage.com/the-pub/
- Phone: (773) 381-4550
- Hours of Operation:
BAR OPEN UNTIL 2AM
CLOSED ON MONDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Attached is Mayne Stage featuring a performance space that reflects the unique and diverse history of Rogers Park. We present a variety of terrific acts in our 250-seat multipurpose venue. Now, with a recent multi-million dollar restoration and renovation project, the entertainment and dining venue is poised to be a magnet for significant development in this north-side neighborhood. In addition to live performance, and utilizing its state-of-the-art audio and video systems, the venue offers space for studio recordings, rehearsals, educational programs, corporate events and private parties.
- Special Events: Live music every Tuesday night - No Cover!
A word from Act One
Act One Pub is Chicago's favorite northside pub, featuring new cuisine in a strong and masculine, yet comforting setting among expansive polished woods, handmade stained glass, and low, romantic lighting, Act One has garnered rave reviews and a loyal following for its devotion to seasonal, local fare.Continued
Tuesday - $4 select drafts
Wednesday - 1/2 off bottle of wine
Thursday - Specialty cocktails $5
Sunday - $3 Mimosas and Bloody Mary's | $4 drafts
Tuesday - $4 select drafts
Wednesday - 1/2 off bottle of wine
Thursday - Specialty cocktails $5
Sunday - $3 Mimosas and Bloody Mary's | $4 drafts
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Act One reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Bar foodAaarghVIPDined on 10/31/2014It's a bar, with decent enough food, some interesting beers - very nice people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Praire Style GemOldRPerVIPDined on 10/25/2014In addition to having the best music space in the city the Mayne Stage has food that is way above your basic pub grub. Their panko breaded chicken in lemon sauce is perfectly cooked, their fish and chips are outstanding and their chicken pot pie is certainly better than my moms which was Banquet. They also have great burgers and all of it is served in a beautiful Prairie Style bar/dining room.Special Features:
- Convenient for Mayne StageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Very convenient for going to event at Mayne Stage. To be fair, it has improved progressively since it opened some years ago. They've improved the food so that it's generally above the "bar food" level. I expect Act One will continue to improve. This past Friday evening we probably just had an "off" experience. The food was just ok and the service was uninspired.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy, happy, on time for a showeat2danceDined on 9/25/2014We sat outside before the show last Thursday with two tables full of different folks eating different ways (vegan, burger lover, dieter, health conscious omnivore, beer connoisseur, no caffeine, you get the idea). The flatbread got us all off to a good start (salty but tasty). We sampled the menu from Salad Nicoise, to sandwiches, salads, one entree (no memory of what that was). Server got us separate checks, which endears her and gets better tips. Loved the big root beer float dessert. The cheesecake was small but yummy. Will certainly return before the next show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Good, tasty food. Friendly people. Very good service. Place seems to continue to get better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concert VenueJulieDined on 9/18/2014My girlfriend and I had a great experience and the staff (Matt and Christopher) went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and where to go to get a great seat for our concert for the evening to see The Fixx. Act One is lucky to have these guy's on your team.Special Features:
- Hip Rogers Park dining and musicniteowlDined on 9/5/2014Me and my girlfriend took her two young daughters and used the reservation system, which worked like a charm and when I added their ages in the special requests, we found when we got there that Wall-E was playing on the TV facing us! A nice touch. The food was very good (my girlfriend did experience some stomach discomfort from the pot roast melt she shared with me although I did not. It was rarer than I normally get it, however.) They were very accommodating to our family needs, although they seemed a bit understaffed as it took a little longer to get our server's attention. They always have world-class musical acts, and Jeff Brown did not disappoint. I wish the room would quiet down during performances, it's always so loud. A fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loudlmary14809Dined on 8/24/2014I will never return on a Sunday at dinnertime. I wanted to leave, but we were too hungry. The burgers were ok, but the sound level was horrible
- Sadly lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014Second time at this restaurant. First time wasn't great, so I thought of give if a second chance. I wish I hadn't. Greeted by a staff person at the door who said he wasn't the host but handed menus to me and my friend and told us to go sit anywhere. It took 6 minutes for anyone to acknowledge us with water or drink requests. The food (basic breakfast fare -- eggs, sausage, etc) took 20 minutes and then my eggs were cold, the sausage overcook and the English muffins quite un-toasted. The server was pleasant enough, but I don't quite understand the delay in service since I counted only 15 people in the place and 2 servers, 2 bussers, a bartender and a host on duty. It's too bad because physically it's got appeal and the location is perfect.
- ToniDined on 8/1/2014My steak and broccoli were cooked to perfection, and the mashed potatoes were full of flavor. I was quite pleased with my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 183 reviews are from the Act One reviews archive.
- Great FoodPollyDined on 7/25/2014I invited my daughter and her boyfriend for dinner.Everything was great until more people arrived and our waitress didn't appear as often. My daughter's boyfriends dish was too spicy and instead of sending it back I suggested bread. Well! I was really surprised when the bread appeared on the check. Of course it was taken off because I explained the problem to the waitress and I also told her I was not going to pay for the bread!Special Features:
- Hidden gemprincessbratDined on 7/17/2014My server on a Thursday night made me feel like he could make anything happen. I am cleansing and am limited to the food I can consume but together we were able to find a dish that would work. He was attentive to my preference of un iced water and would swap out waters that had been refilled with ice water. To me the service makes a restaurant!Special Features:
- We'll be backconquerooDined on 7/2/2014From out of tow. Locals recommended Act One. We tried it prior to a show at Mayne Stage. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful and we opted for comfort food (it was cold and raining in the summer) which hit the spot. We will be back next time we're in Chicago.Special Features:
- Act One, Rogers ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Good food, fun atmosphere. Close to theater. Friendly servers. Outdoor tables when weather allows. Nice indoor tables by windows with good street views.Special Features:
- Great experience even better flightFoodCritiqueDined on 6/20/2014Love this place. Inside mayne stage theater, act one is fit for foodies. A neighborhood gem we enjoyed the experience as well as a flight of beer. Definitely recommend to try it and mayne stage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for neighborhoodPaperdollVIPDined on 6/19/2014We were there for dinner before going to TimeLine Theatre. It was a great choice for location, right be the Red Line, and the steak sandwiches and sweet potato fries were very good. The best part was the welcome that we got from our wait person - Samantha. She was very helpful - my husband tasted beers before he ordered and she was attentive and charming. Ask for her!!!Special Features:
- Before or after theater treatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014We found Act One on Google Maps, then discovered it was an Open Table subscriber. Walking distance from both the Red Line El and the Lifeline Theater. Nice, quiet, wrought iron tables outside or a large, lively bar scene inside. My fish and chips was delicious and very generously portioned. My husband enjoyed the turkey wrap. The couple that dined with us liked the extensive beer menu. The servers were very friendly and knowledgeable. Already looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Good TimesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We had dinner before a WYCC show featuring Fareed Haque and co. We had great service, good food and drinks! So glad we ate in the restaurant before the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Brunch - 4*dianaefcDined on 5/11/2014We had a great Mothers Day brunch here. Excellent service (if a little slow; it was busy, after all), good to great food, nice atmosphere and bottomless bloody mary's! This is a great neighborhood spot that I think people over look because they think it's just a bar attached to the excellent Mayne Stage. But it's a good restaurant in its own right! We'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table Reserved/Ready Upon Arrival!MmmFooooooooodDined on 5/11/2014I needed to make a Mother's Day reservation in the northern Chicago area and was running out of time! I wasn't sure about making a reservation at a restaurant I had never been to, but Act One had great reviews so I thought I would give it a shot! I was really happy I did! When I arrived, the table was already reserved and ready for us! It even had a "Reserved" sign with my last name on it, so I was impressed by that level of organization. The food was also delicious for brunch! They had a bottomless brunch option, which included an entree and unlimited bloody mary's, mimosas and beermosas -- at a really good price! All in all, I would go again and recommend Act One to anyone who was looking for a nice Sunday brunch with friends or familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousThebobDined on 4/25/2014We were pleasantly pleased with everything. We liked the location and were surprised as how good the experience wasSpecial Features:
- Bottomless Mimosas saved placebrunchfanaticDined on 4/20/2014The service was poor, slow. Only good thing was the mimosas as it took forever to get our food. Was sadly disappointed.Special Features:
- Food was good, service lousycliffDined on 4/6/2014We ate at the restaurant because we were going to DOG1 at the Mayne Stage - great bluegrass. It was Trivia night; which we didn't know at time of reservation. Ended sitting at the smallest table; cramped corner. It filled up fast; service was slow. i enjoyed my sandwich - pot roast…very good. Maybe a bad night; would go back sit at a different table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pub grubJayTmanVIPDined on 3/14/2014Had a good meal before a show at Mayne Stage. Chicken Pot pie was more like a chicken stew with a puff pastry on top, lots of vegetables in it. Burgers also were good.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysRalphDined on 3/8/2014Act One is the perfect place to eat before or after a Mayne Stage performance. Quality and convenience are great. It's pub grub, but nice pub grub. Good craft beer selection, though not as good as a specialty place. Friendly if hurried staff. Been there many times and have never been disappointed. Definitely the best place in the neighborhood, though there's not much competition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Brunch-enough saidOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2014On Saturdays and Sundays, you can get an entree and bottomless Bloody Marys, mimosas, or beermosas for $20 from 11-3. I went there with a group of friends, 11 people total. We were there for 4 hours drinking. No one got mad at us and they kept bringing the drinks.the refills were fast and our server was so sweet. The breakfast was delicious and the drinks were strong! My husband and I live around the corner and this is the place we frequent most in Roger's Park.Special Features:
- Great food with a touch of serviceTable4twoDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I chose to visit Act One because we were attending a nearby show and the theatre recommended it to us. We ordered the loaded potato skins as our appetizer. The portions were adequate, but the potato skins weren't exactly loaded. Plenty of potato was left uncovered and the potatoes were a bit dry. My wife ordered veggie wraps with a house salad. The salad had a good variety of vegetables and my wife had a house vinaigrette which was a bit sweet for her liking. Her veggie wraps were outstanding though and she was quite satisfied. I had the special chicken breast with mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley as my side. Every part of my meal was delicious. We finished with a "Sonic limeade" for dessert which was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Rushsjm22Dined on 2/16/2014We went to Act One for a concert. Dined before the show. Servers were overwhelmed with the number of tables and therefore, the "Slow Rush". Bartender was slow too but, I sure this was due to the number of people that arrived at around the same time. Food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't have wine or a drink;kimbarkDined on 1/19/2014Didn't have wine or a drink; I am sure there are great choices as the menu is varied with great choices. Don't know about lunch because we were there late afternoon early evening. What I do know is the service is attentive but relaxed. It was a bit too noisy to chat---we are seniors and have hearing issues. But we liked the youthful vive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Act One WinsOutandAboutDined on 12/31/2013Excellent food, charming atmosphere, good service (incluidng valet for $5) and very good drinks. Smallish menu outside of appetizers and sandwiches, but well prepared and satisfying. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyPhillyVIPDined on 12/29/2013Always a great restaurant ....great service and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Found!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2013I have been here many times. If you want great entertainment and great food at terrific prices, this really is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staff. Ready withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2013Friendly staff. Ready with our reservation even though I called saying we'd be 15 min late. Were able to handle a short turn around for us to get to a play.Special Features:
- Sunday bruncholdfogeyDined on 10/27/2013Decent selection, reasponably good food, very good ambience., good wine and beer selection, inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeDeniseDined on 9/27/2013The food was well worth the money, my however my skeak over cooked ;( We spent about $60 on 2 ppl I expected to payless but the food was so good and well seasoned I didn't mind. It's definitely is a neighborhood gem. With good weekdays drink specials. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date night!jval1821Dined on 9/3/2013The place has great food, great romantic lighting, friendly staff, and live music that wasn't over powering of our conversation. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice barSixpacDined on 8/6/2013Great service, pretty good food and a great place to listen to up & coming local artists. I'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightSchmckaneDined on 8/3/2013I took my husband to Act One/Mayne Stage for his birthday. We had never been to either so it was a shot in the dark. We were pleasantly surprised. The food menu had just enough to chose from and there's something for everyone. They have awesome beers on tap and bottled as well as a great wine list. All of the food was delish and the service was friendly and prompt. It wasn't overly crowded or loud. I'd definitely go back and I highly recommend it for both dinner and a show. The only thing I didn't like was trying to find parking. But, that's not the fault of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbearably noisyclp126VIPDined on 8/2/2013The food was good enough--we had salmon and a chopped salad--but the room was so loud that it was next to impossible to carry out a conversation with anyone more than a foot away. We were a party of six and all had been to Act One before, but everyone agreed that the noise level was worse than ever before, which was kind of strange, because the restaurant was maybe only 3/4 full. It was a relief to walk outside.Special Features:
- Free entertainment up front in PubarchyVIPDined on 7/13/2013We heard the Kelson Twins, a duo of youthful (teen) acoustic guitarist and singers who write much of their own stuff. They harmonized beautifully. Great selection of craft beers (on tap and in containers); very good range of Belgian brews. Surprisingly good food — walleye fish and chips with vinegar salt on the fries; great fennel & sausage thin flatbread appetizer; superb scratch-made dark chocolate pudding. but oldish coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.