Acquapazza - San Mateo
201 E. 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Acquapazza - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acqua-pazza.com/
- Phone: 6503750903
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner Tuesday-Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 10-:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11:30am-2:30pm: Open Monday for private parties.
Happy Hour Tuesday-Sunday 4:30-6:30pm (Bar Only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tullio Rosano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact Renee Rosano at (650) 375-0903 or email
- Private Party Facilities: Check out www.acqua-pazza.com to see our banquet menu options, or call the restaurant directly for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Renee Rosano 6503750903
A word from Acquapazza - San Mateo
Owner and Exec Tullio Rosano came to the U.S. from Naples with a dream of sharing his passion for the food of his region. Acquapazza “crazy water” is a traditional preparation of Naples fishermen who simmered their catch of the day with cherry tomatoes, parsley, garlic and Mediterranean sea water. Other Rosano family recipes include homemade gnocchi.Tullio fuses elements of Naples with the best pantry in the world, California. The constantly changing menu features homemade bread, pizza, pasta, locally sourced meat and seafood. The Rosanos and strive to create memories not just meals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acquapazza - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great authentic Italian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/6/2013Great authentic Italian food. Good service. Always consistentSpecial Features:
- great food and accomodating serviceiluvtheatreworksVIPDined on 6/22/2013we showed up on a busy saturday night and ending up spending a couple of hours - the service was great and attentive to lots of special dietary requirements. the staff was friendly and helpful, and very enthusiastic about the food and its origins. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service!FoodieCoupleVIPDined on 6/16/2013We greatly enjoyed both the food and service. I had the special pappardelle pasta, which was perfectly cooked, and the rack of lamb, which was cooked a little over but good quality. Our service was fantastic, they were always there when needed. I had a specialty cocktail and it was wonderful. I'm looking forward to returning. The only thing I could say was a negative; the music was a bit loud. There was a gentlemen singing and I think the volume was a bit loud but his music its self was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Italian CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2013I took my father and husband her for Father's day lunch. We live in the South Bay and the main reason we travelled to San Mateo is because Pasquale Esposito advertised he would be there from 1-5 p.m. I wanted my father to hear him. We were seated and at 1:30 i asked the manager where Pasquale was - he said he wouldn't be there until 4 p.m. I was very disappointed and so was my family. I would not have gone to this restaurant if I had known he would not show up. But.....that being said - our meal was delicious, the service was great and if we are in the area we will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!Craiggy36Dined on 6/7/2013This is the kind of place where you can go all out or have a nice night without breaking the piggy bank. We have had their pizzas the last couple of visits. They are excellent. We've had their entrees too....and, although it has been a while, the memories are nothing but positive. They have some great wines - mostly ones that I have never tried before. On a nice evening, it is really nice to sit outside and watch the people walk by. Great date night place...or a great place to hang out with some good friends with some great food and drink.Special Features:
- Acqua Pazza Yum!RockDined on 6/1/2013Very friendly staff made us fell very welcome, and no stuffy attitude. The bar tender is cute and really knows how to shake a cocktail. The dishes were great and everyone at the table enjoyed what they ordered. We left very satisfied, and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, warm service, nice setOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2013Warm, attentive service in a great atmosphere, notice the art deco building exterior and modern art interior setting. Wonderful foccacia and dip, generous portion of perfectly cooked fish (both salmon and halibut were super-moist, instead of overcooked to dry flakiness) with nice sides of broccoli rabe and potatoes, simply prepared Italian-style, so the freshness shines through. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedFoodie650VIPDined on 5/24/2013I live in San Mateo and have been to AcquaPazza quite a few times. After my latest experience there, I will not be returning. The restaurant cut corners and did nothing to make up for it when I brought this to their attention. 3/8 of us ordered the halibut dish. My entree had an extremely tiny cut of fish that was about half of what the other two diners received. Someone called it "honey I shrunk the fish" and asked if it was from the kids menu. Humor aside, I let the server know and he just said it was the corner of the fish and no less than the other portions. That was clearly not the case. I don't appreciate excuses. Mistakes happen, but when nothing is done to rectify the situation then I am done with the place.
- wish we lived closer...uncleDined on 5/18/2013We had a wonderful meal. The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodScottDined on 5/12/2013We went to Acqua Pazza on Mother's Day and it was a nice experience. The service was really good as everyone, especially our waiter and the hostess, were very personable and easy to speak with. That always creates a nice atmosphere. The people sitting around us were respectful and we had the window seat of our choice, thanks again to the hostess, on a beautiful day so that was really nice as well. In regards to the food, the appetizer bread and focaccia were homemade and was great. The main courses were pretty good. Not wild on flavor. A bit more bland, but they didn't taste bad. I had the braised ribs and the meat was very nice - soft. I tried the pasta with Italian sausage and it the sausage was the star. The sauce was a little bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great date night outFoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2013We love dining here because the food and atmosphere is great! It's a great place to have a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- Amazing!!BeckynycDined on 5/11/2013Such amazing Italian food. Chef Tulio Rosano always delights my taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Before - SlowFoodleventhaldDined on 5/10/2013We went to Aquapazza before and were not that happy but decided to give them a second chance and I am glad that we did. The bruschettas were not crispy the first time, this time we asked to make sure the toast was exactly that, toasty and crispy, and they sure were, with wonderfully ripe and delicious tomatoes. I ordered a fresh pasta with tomatoes and mushrooms, the pasta was fresh and delicious, I asked to have more tomatoes though as the proportion of tomatoes in the dish were not to my personal taste and they whisked the dish away to the kitchen and it had it back to me in less time than I expected hot and with the perfect proportion of pomes to pasta. While everything was not perfect, just asking made it perfect. Try them again!Special Features:
- An Italian gem right downtownLisadnashVIPDined on 4/21/2013Wonderful welcome, delicious food, easy to make this a frequent stop!Special Features:
- i thought the food at AcuapazzamaybeDined on 4/20/2013i thought the food at Acuapazza was good and liked the ambiance. We had what I hope was an unusual experience where our waiter disapppeared after the salad course, returned in twenty minutes and asked if we had gotten our main course. We had not. After another five or ten minutes when he bought the main course, he said he had to go to the store to buy pineapple juice. It was strange.Special Features:
- Great Italian RestaurantNotTooShabbyDined on 4/20/2013Acquapazza is a favorite, local restaurant of ours. We take family and friends there for special occasions and it's a regular date night go-to. We're always treated very well and never rushed. We have favorite dishes that never dissappoint - Risotto & Gnochi - and the seafood is always fresh and perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2013I love going to new places when traveling. I had researched on Trip Advisor and Google to find a place that would suit the majority of individuals attending the dinner I was arranging. The different reviews I read intrigued me. So I decided to risk it and try Acquapazza even though none of the locals I work with had ever heard of the place. It was FABULOUS!!! They anticipated our arrival, had great service and the food was amazing. Everyone that attended the dinner thought it was great. I will definitely be taking more individuals to this restaurant in the future. Delicioso!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience - greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2013Excellent experience - great service, great food. Will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- This time the food wasn'tFoodieVIPDined on 3/31/2013This time the food wasn't as delicious as it used to be. The entre was dry and sparse. The service was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- AquaPazza, "the Experience"123DWSDined on 3/24/2013Our experience dining here has always been wonderful-The people are just delightful, the food is outstanding, and the service is very attentive.Special Features:
- Wonderful authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/23/2013Wonderful authentic Italian flavors - Delicious pasta from 'mamas' own recipes. Very good serviceSpecial Features:
- Relaxed atmosphere in a restaurant.JohnDined on 3/23/2013I had read some of the recent negative reviews and was somewhat nervous about making a reservation with a special guest. I went ahead anyway and made the reservation. I'm glad that I did. Although the place was crowded, our Open Table reservation got us seated as we arrived. The food was fine--especially the dessert. Our service was excellent and helpful when asked questions. While a crowded restaurant can be a bit slow at times, a bit of patience on the customer's part can make for an enjoyable evening. Italian ain't fast food. We were never rushed. The conversation with a friend who lives on the East Coast was exactly what we wanted. It takes more than murals of gondolas to create the atmosphere of an Italian restaurant.
- We love it there. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013We love it there. We were told that they were going to be closing or selling from a restauranteer friend of ours so we high tailed it back there to have another delightful dinner. I understand that is it not busy enough to stay open but I sure think it is pretty darn special so do not understand that.Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Good food and good service at a very reasonable price. The cook knows his business: we tried pastas, the seabass, some soups. All great. We also tried some desserts and coffees. Parking is only possible half a block away (no valet).Special Features:
- Not as good as usualGourmetGalVIPDined on 3/9/2013Wow, hadn't been in a while and either it was a bad night or this formerly great restaurant has lost it's mojo. Service was slow, the ravioli special was swimming in sticky, tasteless cream sauce and it looks like many tables have been removed. Just didn't have good energy and it was prime time on a Saturday night. I want to love this family-run authentic Italian restaurant but I overheard the waiter talking about another restaurant they are opening in the city...so perhaps their focus is elsewhere. They need to get this one right!
- A good addition to San Mateo?ViktorDined on 3/9/2013I found the food to be average, not bad, not great. The hostess, wearing hot pants was a distraction, not an asset. The service was rushed with waiters running around like they were putting out a fire. A large open space in the dining room area gave the feeling of a warehouse. On the other hand, my wife liked the food very much. I might give it another try, but not anytime soon.
- We might hesitate to recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2013We might hesitate to recommend it. We came a few times last year and food was pretty good. The brothers who owned the place.......are they still the owners? Did not feel their engaged presence like we did last year. The food was somewhat mediocre this time. The waiter was earnest and made a good effort. The manager/(did not recall him being one of last year's owners? ) was attentive. However, the beet/arugala salad and pastas were disappointing
- Mushroom ravs with walnutsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013Mushroom ravs with walnuts and sauce, (white) UMMMMMM perfecto and not too rich!!!!Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013Food was great and so was the service. What more needs to be said? Enjoy!Special Features:
- wonderful lunch - great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2013wonderful lunch - great service and ver accommodating wait staffSpecial Features:
- An Italian restaurant thatParkBlvdAttorneyDined on 2/17/2013An Italian restaurant that was "out of" carbonated water? Then served Stezzaprete that was machine-made and had none of the irregularity thta typififies this pasta. Mostly ignored by the wait staff. Just a really mediocre experience.
- I was used to all native ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2013I was used to all native Italian waiters, but this is no longe the case. It's too bad. The flavor of the food was delicious however, the portions are very small. The oil/garlic spread that comes with the bread is not very flavorful.Special Features:
- There was a group of us andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013There was a group of us and they were wonderful. The food was great, the service excellent and we were not rushed. I would recommend this restaurant and will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Great fresh, house made pasta!SuzyDined on 2/8/2013Great fresh, house made pasta! And a very good value in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- very medicore. Food definatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2013very medicore. Food definately not something to write home about.
- Good food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/20/2013Good food, great service. Used a discount coupon but was treated like a "regular" customer.Special Features:
- This restaurant is very warmotdinerVIPDined on 1/19/2013This restaurant is very warm and friendly. It's among our favorites. The service is excellent. We had a special brussel sprout appetizer that was outstanding. Our dinner for 4 was also very good. We had 3 fish dinners, two of which were specials, one sole and the other swordfish, and then the salmon. We had one pasta, the which was always a favorite.Special Features:
- Our bartender is awesome.PenSelVIPDined on 1/3/2013Our bartender is awesome. We've had him before (though I can't remember his name) and he is always friendly, smiling and very positive. Place is great.Special Features:
- My wife and I enjoyed an earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012My wife and I enjoyed an early dinner, our request via Open Table, to be close to the evening pianist was honored although not initially by the hostess. The food we ordered was nicely prepared and we enjoyed it. The service was not on par with the food. It was not that the server was not helpful, rather he seemed somewhat uninformed about timing of delivery of dishes, and needed knowledge about the wine list. We will return to the restaurant for another occasion.Special Features:
- Very friendly staff and waiterfun2dineoutDined on 12/30/2012Very friendly staff and waiter remembered the drinks my friend had days before even though I went with another friend this evening. Quite impresive. I ordered this drink, the SPA Martini. Beautifully decorated and great. I asked the waiter about it and why it didn't taste of vodka as do the other martinis I have tried in the past. He said because they use 3 other liquers in drink including pomegranate. Both friends loved them so much, they each had 2. Ribeye also prepared nicely. Great desserts.Special Features: