1775 E Mission Bay Dr
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sandiegohilton.com/acqua-restaurant.aspx
- Phone: (619) 279-7922
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner: 6:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hermann Schafer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua
New American cuisine comes to life in this newly renovated restaurant overlooking Mission Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Acqua reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (11)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)special occasion (5)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- HostessIrateyouDined on 10/25/2014Food and service was fine, but there was no hostess at the front for a while to greet us. Bartenders see us standing there but nothing. A hostess taking a break sees us but again we had to ask someone to help us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014We were staying at the hotel and had a business dinner at Acqua the night before. For various reasons we decided we weren't up to going "off campus" so went to Acqua. Very nice seating outside. Repeated the squash and lobster soup we had the night before, which was excellent. My flatiron steak had excellent flavor and was properly cooked. My husband's stroganoff tasted great, was full of meat and jyst the right texture. Good leftovers, too. Service was friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Really Bad Happy HourfunkyVIPDined on 10/7/2014We needed a place central to get together with friends, without going into the crazy traffic snarl of Pacific Beach. The view was nice, but the staff was rude! We asked for a Happy Hour Menu 4 times and finally went to the bar to get it ourselves. When we finally had a waitress serve us, she brought the wrong food. Not worth the time or money, go somewhere else.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 9/28/2014Food and service was excellent! Sat outside and the view of the bay was beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/3/2014The food is very good, the service was as well. The menu is inventive and not your usual run of the mill hotel food.Special Features:
- The following 53 reviews are from the Acqua reviews archive.
- lovely eveningAC33VIPDined on 7/26/2014I usually don't expect much from hotel restaurants; especially since the breakfast at this same hotel was pretty sub-standard. But Acqua for dinner was really nice. Our waiter was efficient and knowledgable, service was really good, and the food was delicious. Sitting on the outside terrace around sunset was beautiful. I would go back.Special Features:
- DisappointingEllie29VIPDined on 7/26/2014The best thing about Acqua is the view. Breakfast and lunch are very good. I would go some place else for dinner. The food was just ok, nothing great. We ordered the seafood special (Shrimp and scallops) and the steak. The service was very slow and we had to track her down to pay. One table who had children were running all over the restaurant. (Not the restaurant's fault but took away from relaxation) The rest room was dirty with sand on the floor and all trash cans were running over with trash.Special Features:
- Weekend getawaylavernoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Service was good, Ambience was good, food was average. I had the sea bass......average. My boyfriend had the tuna and it was very overcooked. The wine list was impressive.....that was a plus for us. It is a nice place for an evening cocktail but disappointed and won't be back. I will say it would be a great place for a corporate function, a party, or just getting together with a group of friends. A romantic evening with a great meal.....not so much.Special Features:
- Good place to have a late dinnerKhoaNguyenVIPDined on 7/5/2014After a long day at the beach, we came for a late night dinner. The service is good but not outstanding. we ordered the squash soup with lobster bits and filet mignon for the main course. We were quite happy with the food and as good as any restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great work-travel find!AcquaDined on 6/2/2014I was at the Hilton resort in San Diego for a conference for work and I always try to seek out new places to eat. The resort is a bit isolated, so I decided to eat the at the on-site restaurant, Acqua. I'm glad I did! I ate early in the evening, so it wasn't too loud or crowded and I was able to eat outside with a gorgeous view of the Mission Bay. I had a glass of the Hess Cabernet, the beet and goat cheese salad followed by the scallop appetizer as my main meal. The scallops were pan seared with mushroomm, shallots and truffle essence and I savored each one. I was convinved by my friendly waiter to try the 3 mini-creme brulee sampler dessert. The dark chocolate was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiancaJDined on 5/31/2014Continental cuisine is delicious with very good presentation. Service was very attentive, when we had had it. Wait time between courses was a bit too extended. Staff to guest ratio should be evaluated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fabulous / Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014I've eaten at this restaurant for lunch many times. Food is always top notch. Outdoor dining is very comfortable and scenic. Service is usually pretty good but never outstanding. This time the service was less than usual. Bread plates but no bread served, and the waitstaff appeared completely disinterested in their job and was not very friendly. I think they could care less if we ate at this restaurant or not. I hope that this is not a sign of things to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother"s DayIrishcowboyDined on 5/10/2014First experience at Aqua and it was excellent I would recommend dinning there to anyone. I will definitely be coming back again with my familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherDiscriminating1Dined on 4/19/2014Terrible service. Lackluster and over priced food. Typical for hotel restaurant which we weren't aware if when we booked. Marriott hotel restaurant. Physical property very nice
- Very enjoyable!AeginaVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had a really pleasant meal here -- the service was great, and the location is pretty. The food was generally good. But the butternut squash soup!!!!! Out of this world. I want the recipe!!!Special Features:
- Unexpected gourmet findAruba99VIPDined on 4/2/2014The food is very good and prepared with some notable twists. The salads were bountiful served with nuts, fruit and cheese on top of fresh lettuces of various kinds. The entrees included swordfish on top of risotto served with vegetables and braised beef served with root vegetables. Both were excellent! The wine list is exceptional with many price points to satisfy most budgets. Desert had some twists on old favorites like Austrian cheesecake. Service was paced so enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor breakfast and indoor dinnerAlDeepCreekDined on 3/23/2014Breakfast outdoors looking at Mission Bay was delightful especially with Luis serving. Dinner indoors on Sunday night was well served with special attention from the Executive Chef to help with a wine suggestion. Delightful meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceMRotaDined on 2/22/2014Girlfriend and I went to Acqua for our 3 year anniversary dinner and had an amazing time. Great view right on the bay at sunset, great service, and exceptional food. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and gave great recommendations. I will definitely be dining at Acqua again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Menu One PriceMrPachecoJrDined on 2/14/2014Long story short, if you never been here, don't go on Valentines Day. The food was good but the price put a bad taste in my mouth. Good thing about it is that they let you know ahead of time what the "menu" is and how much you'll end up paying, roughly. Thanks anyway OpenTable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was average. PortionseledaroseDined on 1/24/2014Dinner was average. Portions were very small for the price. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- Enjoyed this restaurant!Bon47Dined on 12/31/2013We decided to go to Acqua for their 3 course special New Year's Eve Dinner. We were staying at the Hilton Hotel where this restaurant is located. Since it was very loud inside because of the band, we decided to eat out on the patio, where there were plenty of heat lamps. We enjoyed our dinner very much, and the special dessert was wonderful. We had a very good, friendly waiter, in fact all the wait staff were very friendly and helpful. Definitely enjoyed our New Year's Eve, and we'd do this again. Also, would like to come back to Acqua sometime when it's warm, and stays light later, so we could really appreciate the patio's ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday Dinner at AcquaJudithDined on 12/25/2013We enjoyed a prix fixe meal at Acqua for Christmas dinner this year. My friends had the filet with scallops appetizer and I had the swordfish and delicious salad starter. I thought the portions were perfect though my husband would have liked more food. Dessert was a flourless chocolate terrine and just heaven! Overall, we had a very nice experience. The food was delicious, wait staff very attentive, and everyone was happy and in the spirit of the season. The sunset was gorgeous too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Pleasant MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2013Upon arriving our reservation was not acknowledged. When shown to a table preferred we were asked back being told it was reserved by another party. It took quite a while for wait staff. When she arrived she looked unkempt. We decided on the holiday menu - what brought us to this restaurant. We thought this was our only option but noticed others ordering off the menu. After getting our food we wished we had done the same. The appetizer was good; the entree not at all. The meat was dry and there was a lack of gravy. The stuffing was like two round pieces of cardboard. The dessert fair. The wait staff returned only once but seen diligently waiting on others. Difficult getting anyone's attention. We left Acqua vowing never to return.Special Features:
- Good food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013The food was good but it took a long time to get it then when I asked for a box it took a really long time. It seemed as though my being there was unimportant to the waiters/waitress. It is also very expensive.
- Fantastic family outing forfoodnfunDined on 12/25/2013Fantastic family outing for something different over the holidays. Delicious palate pleasing options. Loved the atmosphere, friendly staff and scenic view. My only issues were that the fixed menu price was a little steep for what you get. I had the swordfish over rice. The serving size was incredibly small compared to some of the other options (filet mignon and traditional turkey options were more generous in size). I don't typically eat much (usually split meals) but this was an excessively tiny dish...or maybe they ran out on me?? Not sure what happened, but food was absolutely delicious!!Hoping this was just a glitch and not a regular occurrence because I would love to come back again sometime! YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the AmbienceAnchi123VIPDined on 12/14/2013I loved the outdoor seating at this place and it was next to the water's edge. You can cozy up to their fire pits while sitting in there many choices of modern rattan furniture. They have a kid menu which made it easy for picking out food for the kids. (Pricy though).Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, casual decorRickVIPDined on 12/12/2013Nice restaurant, casual decor and atmosphere, outdoor water view. Here for lunch today, good menu choices from appetizers to entrees. Food was well prepared, tasty, plenty to eat. Server knew menu well, friendly, there when needed. Great spot for a easy going casual meal in excellent outdoor setting . Will return next time in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2013if you want quick service - avoid. Had no cutlery for 10mins after main course arrived, 40mins for dessert, and attentive servers Acqua does not have. Teamwork horrid! It was almost as if the servers dissappeared.. this was thanksgiving - they should be thankful for more customers if service does not improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acqua - niceBootsDined on 11/28/2013The lay out, architecture, ambience, presentation of food and exemplary customer service speaks for itself. A well designed and managed restaurant. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hotel Restaurant...Great FoodBeachLoverVIPDined on 11/20/2013Stayed at San Diego Hilton Resort. Ate lunch at Acqua and had really fresh tasting salads. Decided to do dinner later that evening. Ordered several appetizers and they were delicious. This was one of the top three meals I've had at a hotel restaurant. More importantly, it really was great tasting food along with the view of Mission Bay. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterSDlocalDined on 11/16/2013I would have rated the restaurant a 5 but although the food and ambience was great, the service lacked a little on the day we dined and after our dinner. The food and ambience were very good. The fresh baked warm bread was a treat and the outdoor heaters and fire pits kept us warm on a cool night. The service started out good but we had to ask for more water and wine. We got there at 5:30 and it was not very busy so service should have been better. After dinner I forgot my credit card and after calling 4 times a couple of days later asking about it, I finally was able to talk to security who returned my card to me. It shouldn't have been this hard to connect with someone. Customer service is not their strength.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience.tdb13Dined on 10/19/2013All categories of our experience were amazing. The restaurant manager and the staff all did a great job of our party of 8 people. The food was all fabulous. They were very efficient, friendly, and created a beautiful evening for us. I am sure that all of us in the group will come back again for more dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snobby ServiceJamieDined on 9/25/2013The food here was outstanding, the view was incredible, but the waiter was rude. Yes my fiancee and I are in our early twenties and might appear to be younger with little income, but comments like "This wine is probably more in your price range" and "Oh that is actually pronounced . . . [insert french accent here] " were not necessary.Special Features:
- Top of the linethugginDined on 9/20/2013The service was excellent, the ambience and view were magnificent, the food was delicious. Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Music PlayedanniebananieDined on 9/19/2013Loved the live music and the extra touches they added during Restaurant week, like a yummy amuse bouche and champaign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but small portions.Mike2MariaDined on 9/17/2013Eat outside, the place is beautiful! Great service & delicious food, but i would double the portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would recommend with reservationsfrekwentdinerVIPDined on 8/10/2013I would recommend with reservations, and here is why: the service was horrible and even rude. The food was absolutely outstanding and creative and plentiful. Rolls were delicious, salads wonderful, entrees absolutely wonderful and creative and large! Even dessert was outstanding. For staying at the hotel, this is an easy choice! However, we did not see our waiter for 20 minutes once we got seated. If it weren't for Alex the busser, we would not have known anyone even knew we were there. Our waiter never told us the specials. (I learned them AFTER we had ordered by over hearing another waiter tell her table.) I don't think all the service is bad, but consider yourself warned. Do eat here, but be on top of the service issue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special lunchKATSDDined on 8/8/2013I had the five spice butternut squash soup with lobster and cream. It was a small bowl and I could have eaten a gallon of it! The chocolate mousse dessert was divine and a sight to behold! A little more expensive than the average lunch, but being right on the bay was worth it!Special Features:
- Service was horrible. WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/7/2013Service was horrible. Waiter seemed annoyed that he had to serve us.
- Above Average Hotel FairLGfromLQDined on 7/26/2013Beautiful atmosphere, above average food, below average service. This restaurant is filled with kids and pool bound guests. Did not feel like fine dining until the bill came.Special Features: