Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 525-4375
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (149)neighborhood gem (146)special occasion (121)romantic (102)notable wine list (83)great for outdoor dining (57)good for groups (32)hot spot (29)great for lunch (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- We had an excellent appetizerlivetoeatDined on 6/20/2010We had an excellent appetizer and the ambiance and the service were very nice - but our main course pasta dishes were bland and a bit disappointing. And only one of the four desserts in the sampler we tried (the tiramisu) was good. For the quality of food, we thought $50 a head was too much. Hate to dis the place because the service was so nice, but I'm hoping they'll improve the food a bit more.
- The food was delicious (everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2010The food was delicious (everyone should try the cheesecake) and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The view of Eastern Market didn't hurt either!Special Features:
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2010Food was very good. Service was spotty which made the experience disapointing.
- We had a great time...likeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2010We had a great time...like visiting old friends who had arrived from Florence!Special Features:
- Absolutely excellent! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2010Absolutely excellent! The food was fabulous, the service attentive but not overbearing, nice ambiance. I had the filet mignon with the blueberry sauce - divine! We will definitely return to this great place and highly recommend to others.Special Features:
- Service needs to come up toOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/18/2010Service needs to come up to par with the food. Our appetizers arrived before the wine we ordered. Noise level is high. Needed to shout to guests on the other side of the table.Special Features:
- We've eaten at Acqua al 2OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2010We've eaten at Acqua al 2 in Florence so we're very excited to get to try the DC location. It's very popular - even reserving 6 wks out we could only get a 5:30 and 8 reservations. Food seemed on par with Florence but the service has to get better. Not a very knowledgeable serving staff and they seemed very rushed and not well coordinated. Once the service settles down, I'm sure it'll be a favorite DC spot for us.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/17/2010We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We arrived with an extra person, and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating despite being extremely busy that night. The pasta was wonderful. Only downside to experience was the noise level - definitely not a place to dine when you're trying to have meaningful conversations. Otherwise, we loved it!Special Features:
- The steak sampler is absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2010The steak sampler is absolutely delicious, and the mojito with fruit is really delicious. But our reservation was messed up, so we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for our table, the waiter was slow to get to us, slow to check up on us, slow to get to dessert and slow to bring and pick up the check. The antipasto toscano was flavorless; the crustini way overtoasted. The side potatoes were dry, and the dessert was just OK. It is also extremely loud in the main dining room--I-can't-hear-my-date loud. It's got potential, but it has some issues to work out.
- Atmosphere was very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2010Atmosphere was very nice. Pasta sauces were plain and rather disappointing.
- Sorry to say we were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2010Sorry to say we were very disapointed. It was so loud that we could hardly hear each other speak. With a room full of emptly tables (we were there early) they played a family with 2 babies right next to our table adding to the noise. They were so concerned that we would not be through by 8 (we started at 6) that at least 2 people made a point of telling us this more than once. By this point they could have served the best meal on earth, who cared. I felt for the price the servings were sparse. Sorry but I will not be back.
- The food was fine. The glassesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2010The food was fine. The glasses of wine we bought at the bar were the smallest pours I've ever seen. The service was a little awkward (although attentive and friendly). One server brought us someone else's food -- twice. One server took away our bread, then another asked us if we wanted bread, and then another brought us bread even though we had said we didn't want any more. The tables are too close together -- diners are generally forced to share their dining experience with their neighbors -- there's certainly no ignoring folks (or their conversations -- first date small talk on one side, politics on the other) sitting two inches away.
- Reservation and Hostess (Host)OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2010Reservation and Hostess (Host) situation not working. PLEASE work it out otherwise everything else is good.
- I was very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2010I was very impressed with our meal at Acqua Al 2 in D.C. Excellent food and excellent service. Had the pasta sampler (shared) and the filet mignon with blueberry sauce. I guess the only things I wasn't crazy about were that the tables are very close to each other and the price is a little high. Most of the seating is not conducive to romance. We were there on a Monday night so noise wasn't too bad, considering it's a pretty small place. I can see weekends possibly causing some difficulty in hearing each other--given you are almost sharing a table with other couples. :-) Regarding prices: my filet was $29 and the pasta sampler was $15 or $16. All five of the pastas were great. Even with prices and lack of privacy; I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Had a great meal w/ greatBADSERVICEDined on 6/14/2010Had a great meal w/ great service. An overall wonderful dining experience. Highly recommend the pasta and steak samplers!!Special Features:
- The hosting staff was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2010The hosting staff was very professional and attentive, the manager gracious and accommodating, and the food a delight. The menu is very Tuscan and a very welcome addition to our neighborhood. We enjoyed the attentiveness of the wait staff and were well satisfied with our menu choices. The only regret was the noise level in the dining area where we were seated. The room does not have any soft, sound absorbing features and the reverberation of several full tables of obviously happy diners was somewhat of a distraction. Otherwise, no complaints and we are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- This was our first visit soOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/13/2010This was our first visit so we tried the pasta sampler and the steak sampler, it was all excellent. Would probably order a la carte next time. The steak was phenomenal. Would try specific pasta next time. We had a very nice time.Special Features:
- This is a new Italian restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2010This is a new Italian restuarant on Capitol Hill across from Eastern Market. The low light and unpretentious decor made it very comfortable and inviting. We were seated immediately and had wonderful,knowledgable, and attentive service. The assiegos of five pastas, including three whites and two red sauces were tasty and a good introduction to the menu. the steak assiego of three different steaks was good with very tender meat. And we liked s the assiego of four desserts. Only complaint was a cold mashed potato and pesto accompaniment to a special which was tasteless. Otherwise, a very good dining experience at a very good price.Special Features:
- For those of you wonderingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/12/2010For those of you wondering if it could ever live up to the one in Florence, don't be afraid to try: It really does!Special Features:
- Incredible food - had theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2010Incredible food - had the pasta, beef and dessert samplers. The samplers were lovely and just the perfect bites, if a little small. Service was spectacular; not only was our waitress attentive and personable, but so was the rest of the staff roaming the restaurant to make sure you were well taken care of. Cute restaurant, though bc it's a small space, hard to get reservations. Coming from NYC and somewhat of a food snob, I was very impressed with the restaurant, and it was one of the highlights of my trip to DC.Special Features:
- The DC location is just asOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2010The DC location is just as good as Florence, where I had my first dining experience. Amazing.Special Features:
- We had been to Acqua Al 2OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/9/2010We had been to Acqua Al 2 in Florence 12 years ago and were excited to try the one in DC. It did not disappoint. We got the 5 pasta sampler, which b/w two of us would have been enough for an entire meal. The sampler items are chosen by the chef, and they proved to be an excellent mix of both pastas and sauces. Not realizing how much food was part of the sampler, we also split their speciality, the filet with blueberry sauce, which was one of the most tender steaks I've had in a long time. Really good! Overall, the restaurant is a great find, with good ambiance, good service, and very reasonable prices. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- this was the best meal I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2010this was the best meal I have had all year!!! the ambiance is wonderful (love the ambiance), the service was outstanding, and the special attention we rec'd because it was our anniversary was wonderful1 congrats to ralph and arti! we will be back1 deborah and bruce haskinsSpecial Features:
- By far the most authenticDCdinerVIPDined on 6/7/2010By far the most authentic Italian food in DC, and that's coming from someone that has lived over there. Almost so good I don't want to share it because I'll be going back again and again.Special Features:
- Food was great, so was theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/5/2010Food was great, so was the service. It was pretty loud, but other than that a great experience.Special Features:
- I've actually been to theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2010I've actually been to the Acqua Al 2 in Florence, Italy. I was extremely pleased to find out they recently opened one in DC. The food is REALLY good!!! Exactly the same as I remembered in Italy. I would suggest the Sampler menu's (for two). You get a taste of the different offerings of Acqua al 2. Very, very excited it's here in DC.Special Features:
- The restaurant was very accommodatiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2010The restaurant was very accommodating with our late arrival, but the food and service are not as good as the original in Florence, Italy where we were last week. The wait staff is young and not particularly engaged or professional. The food was average. The tiramisu was watery and 'melted' on the plate. The Prosecco was good. No valet parking, but parking was available.Special Features:
- I randomly came across theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2010I randomly came across the restaurant on Open Table, and decided to try it because of how close it was to my work. I didn't have any expectations when I went it, just thought it would be a fun new place to try. My date and I were THOROUGHLY impressed by everything Acqua Al 2 had to offer. The service, atmosphere, wine, and food were all amazing. I have since recommended it to all my friends, and will definitely be going back again in the near future.Special Features:
- Pastas were all very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2010Pastas were all very good, but a bit heavy. I'd love to see a few lighter things on the menu - and more options for antipasto/apps. It was a very nice experience overall.Special Features:
- After going to the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/1/2010After going to the original restaurant in Florence almost 10 years ago, I had high expectations. Those expectations were definitely met. The pasta sampler was delicious and the balsamic-glazed filet was amazing. Loved the dessert sampler too, but the standout on the plate was the cheesecake. The staff was excellent as well. We had a wonderful night and will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Friendly, accessible placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2010Friendly, accessible place - pricey for the typical Italian - but this is NOT the typical American idea of an Italian restaurant. Excellent choice of "plates" with portions small looking but as rich as some are, just the right amount of food. Don't go expecting bottomless lasagna plates. Great wine selection. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the restaurant.foodiesforlifeDined on 5/30/2010We enjoyed the restaurant. The staff was friendly and the overall ambience was great. The only minor complaint was the vegetarian pasta sampler was a bit disappointing. The pasta seemed to have come from a box, perhaps this is not the case. We loved the meat and the cocktails and wine were awesome.
- This restaurant is truly specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2010This restaurant is truly special -- you will feel like you're eating in Florence. First, the pastas are perfectly al dente and the sauces are sublime. Second, the steaks are perhaps the best in DC, and we've been to all the local steakhouses. The most tender cuts of filet you'll find, grilled to perfection. Lastly, the decor is spot-on, they've even painted the walls of their neighboring building to look like a street in Florence. A gem!Special Features:
- Very stylish decor with low-keyTequilaflambeDined on 5/29/2010Very stylish decor with low-key rustic ambience. Especially fine for excellent cuts of grilled steak and veal. Meat lover's paradise. Gorgeous first course pastas, too.Special Features:
- Best Italian I've had in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2010Best Italian I've had in DC in the 8 years I've lived here. Authentic, fresh, and just plain good.Special Features:
- Unfortunately our first visitSusanDined on 5/25/2010Unfortunately our first visit to our new neighborhood restaurant was at best a mediocre experience, and actually quite disappointing. Music was more suited to a late night lounge; ambiance in the dining room needs a little help.(Ask to be seated in the back not in front of the kitchen) Service was impersonal and generic. Most importantly though, the food lacked flavor- where's the garlic?!- and was very bland and nondescript. Our hopes were dashed for a new go-to restaurant in the hood.
- cannot say how much we lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2010cannot say how much we loved it. amazing menu. amazing interior. fantastic service. phenomenal food. our new favorite place!!!
- The food was amazing. I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2010The food was amazing. I've been to their restaurant in Florence, Italy and the food in DC is just as great. The pasta tastes like you're in Italy and is outstanding and the Blueberry Filet Mignon is excellent. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone that likes Italian food.Special Features:
- Very pleasant service, lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2010Very pleasant service, lovely space, but after the hype, the food was disappointing.
- Overall, this was a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2010Overall, this was a great dinner experience. The place still has some "new restaurant" quirks to work out - our server seemed very inexperienced. The food was amazing - the person at the table next to me had just moved back from Florence, and assured me that the food in the new Capitol Hill location was just like the original in Italy.Special Features: