Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: 2025254375x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)neighborhood gem (156)special occasion (126)romantic (110)notable wine list (92)great for outdoor dining (81)good for groups (46)great for lunch (31)hot spot (28)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- msjhVIPDined on 8/31/2014What a treat. The entire evening was a pleasant one from the friendly greeting to the gracious come see us again goodbye. Food was delicious, portions not overwhelming large. The setting was warm and cozy and the server knowledgable, outgoing and efficient. A lovely eveningI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great authentic Italian food and excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delish; server needs educatingFantasticmealDined on 8/31/2014Had the most delicious burrata and fig appetizer ever!! Still thinking about it. However our server was unapologetic about knowing nothing about the food Her responses to our questions about food were less than enlightening..Response to what was in the squash orrechetti was "squash and orrechetti pasta" and about the vegetarian ragu served in the pasta tasting was "vegetables." Really??Special Features:
- Experience at Acqua 2OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food. We had gnocchi and filet mignon in a balsamic reduction and they were both absolutely delicious. The only negative in the whole evening was noise level. My partner and I had a hard time hearing one another. Our server was perfect! Just the right amount of attention. I would return for sure - perhaps there is some way to use baffles to reduce the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually top notch-sadly not on fricaphillfoodieDined on 8/29/2014let me preface this by saying, that acqua al due is one of my all time favorites. since i discovered it 3 years ago, i've spent every birthday and special occasion there. the burrata, balsamic steak, and sauteed spinach are consistently fantastic and highly recommended by me to friends who have all since become devotees. UNFORTUNATELY, the kitchen chef may have changed, or hopefully just may have had an off night, because on Friday night I took family visiting from out of town for the first time - expecting for it to live up to its previous stellar record and standards. the usually brilliant burrata was soggy, the balsamic steak was over-infused - the balsamic overwhelming the steak, and the spinach was so over-salted it was inedible.:[Special Features:
- Great AtmospherefoodmonsterDined on 8/22/2014A+++. Obvi the mgmt teams knows what they're doing. Absolutely loved the veal. Great work. My fav spot in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!MelissaDined on 8/20/2014I have been to Acqua al 2 in Florence, San Diego, and DC and have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOliviaVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is consistently exceptional, always love going to Acqua Al 2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Was excited to try this place out, but came away pretty disappointed - not nearly enough bang for your buck. We had the salad trio, the five-pasta sampler, the steak trio, and a chicken dish. Salads - Meh. Caprese was good. Pasta - though the pasta itself was fresh, 4 out of 5 of the pastas we tried were forgettable. Like you could make this at home, not much better than boxed pasta mixes. The spicy tomato sauce pasta was, however, delicious. Steak trio - excellent. Balsamic reduction and blueberry sauce reductions were particularly good. Chicken - decent, but nothing to write home about. Service was excellent. Overall, a great place for steak, but the pasta was pretty disappointing given the Florentine origins of this restaurant.
- Excellent mealDCdinerDined on 8/12/2014I head to Acqua al 2 when I want a simple but delicious dinner. I was rewarded again this visit with an excellent meal. Had the Halibut special and it was really good. Friend had the 'Airline chicken' which is always amazing. Simple food done well.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!ChristineRDined on 8/12/2014I love this restaurant every single time I come! Food was amazing and authentic, service was phenomenal - my favorite restaurant in D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterSlobSeriousaboutfoodDined on 8/10/2014Have eaten here before in February when over from the UK and would have given it 5 stars so came again in August, however they have lost their way badly. The food is still good but the service is now atrocious. They have assistant waiters who don't understand English or table craft and would be better off at a fast food outlet as they obviously have had no training whatsoever, so the restaurant is at fault. We ate courses at different times as one order was wrong. I think that they could pull it back and I would give them one more chance but if nothing changes they will go down. People will vote with their feet and their wallets.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We have dined at this restaurant several times and each time the meal has been superb. The filet in blueberry sauce is a particular favorite of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except...DCDiningCarDined on 8/9/2014The noise! We were next an EXTREMELY loud group (literally, less than 3 feet away). We never said anything, but several other tables sent a waiter over to request them to speak just a little quieter. They responded by getting louder. While the food was delicious and the service was excellent, it was almost impossible to enjoy our meal. It was a celebration dinner, and my request to do something special was honored. If the staff had made an effort to apologize or compensate at least some for that experience, I would be a much happier customer. As it is, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to try to go back if we run the risk of another night like that.Special Features:
- Delicious downtown D.C. dining.MamaKDined on 8/9/2014Just as delicious as the original in Florence. The Filetto al Balsamico is melt-in-your-mouth good. We loved the tastings option to try various pastas, salads and desserts. We loved comparing and sampling the chefs choices.You will want to try everything here. The location at Eastern Market is perfect for visitors and residents. This is a charming spot with a warm cozy feel, inside and out. Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful with both the menu and the wines. Crisp and attentive service. We will be back. Don't miss this Capitol gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent pastaPooPahDined on 8/9/2014Red wine list, particularly the Chiantis was really nice and deep particularly in the mid price range (50-70). Food was as advertised. Pasta and risotto were magnificent, nice antipasti and apps with "real" buffalo mozzarella that was heavenly. Veal/chicken/fish entrees were good, but to be honest did not knock me out. One of us probably should have tried a steak entre as this is where the depth is on the menu. Still an excellent evening thanks to one of the most charming, knowledgeable and efficient servers ever. She noticed my martini was made wrong before she even put it down. I have certainly had the wrong drink delivered from time to time but never had it pointed out by a server before I tasted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; solid serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014A friend suggested this place. We went early on a Friday evening. The service was good and the decor of the place quite fun. The non alcoholic drink special was a fruity mix overtop of ginger ale. It was wonderful. I had a veggie pasta dish that was very good. I will return with my spouse to try the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Italian restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I never write reviews, but I thought this restaurant was so great -- ambiance, food, wine selection -- that I had to write about it. I will go again.Special Features:
- Just Ok for meOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Not Italy..pasta was out of the box. Carpaccio was good. Service was nice.
- Acqua Al 2 - Consistently GoodAndyDined on 7/31/2014We brought out of town guests for dinner and they thought the restaurant was wonderful and we all enjoyed our meal. The staff is efficient and warm without a bit pretense. It was a beautiful night and so dined on the patio which was very pleasant. We continue to return to Acqua Al 2 for fine good and a great dining experience.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 7/31/2014A disappointment this time, tho I have enjoyed the place in the past. Everything was mediocre and the wine list is very pricey.
- Exquisite foodtrynewthingsDined on 7/30/2014We had an excellent experience with the ambiance, service and food. While expensive, one must try the restaurant's signature steak, the porterhouse. It was the best prepared steak that we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great locationRAfrancaisDined on 7/27/2014I have had several dinners with groups (6-8). Each time the food is excellent and service good. This time we had appitizers -- the special was particularly good, a pasta course with two plates shared. The butternut squash bow tie pasta was excellent. Then individual entrees. All were excellent. The veal chop was one of the best. We had desserts to share and walked out happy and full (did I mention a couple bottles of nice wine--good list). Go, eat, enjoy
- Enjoyable Evening outTravelFoodie7VIPDined on 7/26/2014We visited DC over the weekend and had a chance to dine at Acqua Al 2. I had eaten here on a previous trip to DC (and also at their location in Firenze). The food was delicious. I always enjoy a restaurant with homemade pasta. The pasta was dressed just right. If you can, try the sampler of 3 salads. It was a perfect opportunity to try several at once, especially since I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to try. The restaurant is located in a cute area of DC. Definitely would go back to Acqua Al 2 next time I am in DC.Special Features:
- Table of 4 for a party of 5OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014I made reservations for 6 people several weeks in advance and had to modify the reservation to 5 that day. We were seated at a table for 4 with the 5th person being squeezed on the end. It was crowded to say the least. The food was good but frankly the table size took away from the experience. Also when I made the reservation I indicated we would be celebrating a birthday and expected some sort of acknowledgement of the occasion as many restaurant do but nothing was mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnergottadineDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I were not aware of Acqua al 2 & decided to try it for our anniversary. We are very fond of Italian red wines and were not disappointed. The food as in other reviews was excellent from the antipasti to the known filet in a blueberry reduction. The food was fresh and beautifully presented. The ambience was lovely as we were greeted warmly from door to table to back out the door when we left. Every person wished us a happy anniversary. We started with tasty cocktails and ended with the dessert sampler- best Tiramisu we have had. My only complaint would be the noise level & the pace inside was quite brisk but that is the result of other diners who obviously know this is a restaurant to return to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PegKenDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic restaurant and food was superb. Rude extremely noisy table of drunks spoiled atmosphere for all that were there. Waiter moved us to new room and table and was very accommodating of the problem. Outside eating is excellent and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Second Memorable MealRondaDined on 7/25/2014We invited three friends to join us for an early dinner before attending Parade at Marine Corps Barracks at 8th & I. Our second visit; their first. Everyone ordered a different dish which we shared. Front staff and wait staff were welcoming, gracious, and helpful. We were seated in a small alcove with a sidewalk window view. Great for conversation and for watching for "notables" -- that night at least one former cabinet secretary! All in all a great time that too soon ended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerEarlyValentineDined on 7/24/2014We ate our way through the tasting menu and it was fantastic! I wouldn't have changed a thing - the service was incredible, our food was delicious, the wine was an excellent pairing, and the ambiance was lively. Perfect for a dinner out on the town enjoying one of our favorite neighborhoods.Special Features:
- HungryDojoVIPDined on 7/24/2014Portions were very small for a hearty eater. Prices were not as lite as the dishes. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- GRAZIE!WashingtonianFoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014FIANLLY, an Italian restaurant in D.C. that I can recommend! Had the burata with grilled peaches and tuna capriccio to start followed by the pasta special. DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Ladies Who LunchRestaurantWeekRWDined on 7/16/2014Such a great restaurant for a quiet, non standard Italian, yummy lunch. Thoroughly enjoyed the lunch special, sharing 6 items between two of us. Waitress could not have been nicer which really puts Acua al 2 over the top. Steak with blueberry sauce gets me every time, not to mention an outstanding tiramisu.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentJohnDined on 7/10/2014Acqua Al 2's daily specials are always a great selection, this still remains the best restaurant in the Eastern Market / Barracks Row area, with superb service, innovative menu items and great food!Special Features:
- Great for Out of Town GuestsBertVIPDined on 7/8/2014Whenever I have hosted an out-of-town group at Acqua Al 2, my guests have been genuinely impressed with their entrees, the quality of service, and the lineup of Congressional leadership they are likely to encounter. The range of salads and the delicate and flavorful desserts are some of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2014We reserved for a birthday dinner and were overall pleased with the food and service. Portions are somewhat small but the pastas were quite good. The appetizer salads were also good but the desserts were just OK (I would skip it next time). Overall we liked the restaurant but it's not in the gem category with places like Al Tiramisu (Dupont) where the food, service, and ambiance really excels.Special Features:
- NOMAPioneerDined on 7/3/2014I have passed this restaurant many times, but never knew what a gem it was on the inside. Great decor and ambiance. Excellent service. Excellent food. Went there to celebrate our 21st anniversary and had a wonderful dinner. Canneloni with mushrooms delicious. Juice and Ginger Beer combo was great. Will definitely return again soon and now want to plan trip to Florence to visit the other restaurant!Special Features:
- Outstanding anniversary dinnerKrikspicksVIPDined on 6/29/2014I've eaten at Acqua Al 2 previously. The food is outstanding. The service is friendly and attentive. The décor is rustic Italian, not white table cloth formal but warm and comfortable. My most recent dinner was with my wife on a special anniversary. I did notify the restaurant when I made the reservation. So I'm not surprised we had especially great service. But really, it was over-the-top amazing. I don't get to Washington DC so much anymore, now that I've retired. But any time in the future when I do travel to DC, Acqua Al 2 will be on top of my list for a return visit. Grazie!Special Features:
- perfect but for noiseILoveBaroloVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great food not fancy but charming ambiance... They need to manage noise better it is too loud to relax.Special Features:
- Tasting MenuFoodie78Dined on 6/28/2014My third (or maybe fourth) trip to Acqua Al 2, first in a couple years. It was on my short list of things to do given the next opportunity I was local, and it did not disappoint! Has to be one of the most satisfying tasting menus available in the area. Split between 2, it's the exactly right amount of incredible food to enjoy for an evening. The balsamic glaze on one of the three preparations of the beef tenderloin had me reaching for bread to make sure I got it all off the plate. I've yet to have anything less than stupendous, including the service. Top notch staff from the front to the kitchen, both helpful, attentive and informative. Not sure how, but it makes the food taste even better. Don't miss this treat in Eastern Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious DinnerdiscerningpalateVIPDined on 6/28/2014Dear My family and I recently returned to Acqua Al 2 for dinner. I want to compliment the Acqua Al 2 staff for making our evening special. As usual, the service was excellent and attentive. I rarely order steak, but this time I tried the filet mignon specialty with the blueberry reduction sauce and it was scrumptious. My wife ordered the branzino and was equally pleased. We shared the tiramisu for dessert and it was worth the calories! The dinner was a truly memorable experience. We look forward to many future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.