Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: 2025254375x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (149)fit for foodies (147)special occasion (121)romantic (108)notable wine list (84)great for outdoor dining (74)good for groups (33)hot spot (24)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Not overly impressive, but good Italian. The highlight was a burrata appetizer -- wonderful flavor combination with an always-amazing type of cheese, can't really go wrong. The steaks were also fantastic -- our selection of three steaks were all cooked perfectly with amazing reductions. The pasta sampler unfortunately fell short. We learned the "Specialty" pasta sampler is actually just a random assortment of whatever the chef happens to be cooking for others at that moment, and we were unfortunately unhappy with the selection of pastas at the time of our order. The couple next to us had a different (and much better looking assortment). The dessert was good, but not amazing. Overall, solid Italian meal, but we won't be rushing back.
- Even better than I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I came to Acqua al due for the first time over a year ago, and had since moved away from DC. On this visit I was dying to go back and it was everything I remembered and more. The pasta tasting was amazing, and the steak tasting was even better. We ordered our steak medium rare it was perfectly cool just falling apart when you cut it. The blueberry steak is a favorite here and did not disappoint at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverwroughtOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Ordered the Filet Mignon with Balsamic Vingrette - filet came drenched in sauce completely overpowering the flavor of the filet. As the dressing was black the plate came out looking like an oil spill. Antipasti came with only one cheese and five variations of Salami - undressed. Very underwhelming. Most pasta options featured fusilli pasta (with very slight variations) - ended up ordering the Gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce - pasta was overcooked. Service was unbearably slow and we say without bread for nearly 30 minutes.
- BuddycatDined on 10/16/2014Friendly as always. A al 2 staff always try to be accommodating and on this occasion succeeded. They gave us a quieter table (although not quiet enough for real conversation--see below) and turned down the fan so that we weren't frozen. A al 2 is a real contribution to the comfort we find in living on CH.Special Features:
- Definitely recommendGustavoDined on 10/13/2014Nice place! Service really friendly, good food and good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always right onOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014As always, we had fabulous meal with excellent service,ÿSpecial Features:
- Always excellentChirsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Second visit to the charming DC location after visiting one in Florence. Many similarities. Overall, this place serves excellent, down-to-earth Italian cuisine in a charming setting. The service is friendly and prompt without being too casual or hovering. Good drinks and a good wine list. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining delightgagibsonDined on 10/8/2014I can't imagine a better place to dine in Capitol Hill, outside, on a balmy October Wednesday evening. Friendly and efficient service, good wines and food, and a panna cotta as good as any I've had in Italy.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceEileenDVIPDined on 10/6/2014Loved this place, the service was fantastic and they went out of our way to make our anniversary super special. I'm pregnant and loved that they had a delicious non-alcoholic cocktail (fruit juice mint and ginger beer). We made our server aware I was pregnant (mentioned it when we booked through OpenTable) and she went out of her way to find out/let us know which cheese on our cheese plate was unpasteurized, which really impressed me. We got the cheese tasting and pasta tasting which was the perfect amount of food. The honey that came with the cheese was AMAZING. I'd definitely recommend both, as well as the frozen caramel mousse for dessert. Definitely let them know if it's your anniversary when you book, they have a private booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing amazing amazingKristinaDined on 10/5/2014Acqua al 2 reminds me of its sister restaurant in Florence, which I've been to earlier this year). My boyfriend and I went to celebrate our 3 years together (and to compare the place to the Florentine version), and it was nothing short of incredible. We had the ricotta balls to start, then moved on to the chef's specialty of three 3-ounce filet mignons with different sauces on each (blueberry was one), sipped on some of the most delicious wine we've ever had, and finished it all off with a tasty tiramisu. Service was fantastic. I am so happy this restaurant exists in the US- I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come to the hillRobL4Dined on 10/3/2014Always enjoy this neighborhood gem. Great service and great food each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticFoodloverDined on 10/3/2014Definite must do in DC! Great food and ambience. Felt like I was back in Firenze. Motto beneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does it better, and betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014Been going here for special occasions for years and, rather than be complacent, they are at worst consistent, and at best better and better. We shared a primi of papardelle with boar and it was generous and wonderful. My steak was perfect and I could not get enough of the pepe verde sauce. No room for dessert, but my espresso was among the closest this side of Rome.Special Features:
- FantasticArrCeeDeeDined on 9/30/2014I have no complaints about my experience at Acqua Al 2. The food was amazing and the service was second to none. What an amazing restaurant and experience. I will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still as good as the first time..DaisyVIPDined on 9/30/2014I went to Acqua 2 a couple of times several months ago, and somehow hadnt been back to Eastern Market again till this week when I was meeting a friend after work. I'd forgotten how great this place is - we were seated immediately inside, the decor is charming and slightly dim which gives it a cozy atmosphere. The food is terrific, fresh Italian fare, both traditional items and seasonal dishes on the menu. The wine list has plenty of choices by the glass & bottle, and a wide range of prices. The service is pleasant and efficient, your water glass doesn't get past half before it's filled again, the same with bread and olive oil. Really such a great place, I'm going back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in DCcher10VIPDined on 9/27/2014I haven't eaten in the one in Florence, but I've heard its simply amazing as this DC branch is. The burrata special over spaghetti squash with honey and pomegranite was good, burrata not that creamy though. The arugala and pear salad was delicious. The filet mignon with blueberry sauce was amazingly good. The shrimp over linguine with zuccini and cherry tomato was very good, though didn't remember the waiter saying that it was a little"hot". Flourless chocolate cake was to die for. Go if your in DC. Plenty of street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014Went their with a new business acquaintance and, while we did not have the lunch special, we enjoyed the meal and service greatly. Will take my wife there for dinner, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnercorsica6Dined on 9/21/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday...it was his choice. He has been here multiple times. I have been here once before, but for lunch. We had a wonderful evening and the food and service was awesome!Special Features:
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Take your girlfriend here, I did - it was a hit. Great service and food. Many options and highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Fantastic! Wonderful!DBNDDined on 9/12/2014The service was spectacular. Food was delicious. Janet was our service and it was fantastic. We went for our anniversary and my girlfriend's birthday and they started us off with a proseco toast and ended with a special birthday desert- all on the house. It was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully accommodatingRcepuchDined on 9/9/2014This place has become a favorite for us, and its stature was enhanced the other night when we were hopelessly snagged in DC traffic and arrived an hour after our reservation – with little time to spare, because we had theatre reservations right after that. The one member of our party who was able to get there in time cooled her heels at the bar for a while, then explained the problem to the staff. They seated her and kindly offered suggestions about which dishes could be made the fastest when the rest of us arrived. We kept in touch by cellphone and she was able to place the order before we arrived – so our plates hit the table just a few minutes after we did! As always, the food was delicious, so inhaling it seemed a bit criminal!Special Features:
- Great Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I had a wonderful dinner and very much enjoyed the evening. The service staff were all very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you LiilianaDC81VIPDined on 9/5/2014WE have been here many times since they opened and have been to the original in Firenze! The bur rata with honey pine nuts and grapefruit was fabulous. Their signature pasta melanze (eggplant) over the top --huge and special thanks to manager Lilliana --a genuine and kind woman --she made our experience --she corrected the picture of our children in the showcase and was GENUINe with her thoughts and well wishes!! Huge hugs we will be back soonSpecial Features:
- too good not to sharejanelcVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great food! Portions too big not to share which the servers made easy. Fresh salad fixings and homemade pastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulAnnieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner there. The chef's-choice of five small pasta dishes was amazing. Great service.We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- msjhVIPDined on 8/31/2014What a treat. The entire evening was a pleasant one from the friendly greeting to the gracious come see us again goodbye. Food was delicious, portions not overwhelming large. The setting was warm and cozy and the server knowledgable, outgoing and efficient. A lovely eveningI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceDCVisitorDined on 8/31/2014Great authentic Italian food and excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delish; server needs educatingFantasticmealDined on 8/31/2014Had the most delicious burrata and fig appetizer ever!! Still thinking about it. However our server was unapologetic about knowing nothing about the food Her responses to our questions about food were less than enlightening..Response to what was in the squash orrechetti was "squash and orrechetti pasta" and about the vegetarian ragu served in the pasta tasting was "vegetables." Really??Special Features:
- A Taste of TuscanyDateNightDined on 8/30/2014We had a fabulous dinner for my husband's birthday. He is always searching for good Italian food in this city which is hard to find, but we found it here! Everything -- from the home made gnocchi, to the mushroom riso and the filet in balsamic reduction, was delicious! We enjoyed a bottle of wine from a vineyard we had visited in Tuscany, and had never seen on a menu here in the US before which was a real treat. Most importantly we had great service. Our waitress Jordan was new (first night serving and first time opening a bottle of wine EVER), and although she may have been nervous she was sweet, knowledgeable and attentive, which is more than we could have asked for! We look forward to another night out here soon.Special Features:
- Experience at Acqua 2FoodisloveDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food. We had gnocchi and filet mignon in a balsamic reduction and they were both absolutely delicious. The only negative in the whole evening was noise level. My partner and I had a hard time hearing one another. Our server was perfect! Just the right amount of attention. I would return for sure - perhaps there is some way to use baffles to reduce the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually top notch-sadly not on fricaphillfoodieDined on 8/29/2014let me preface this by saying, that acqua al due is one of my all time favorites. since i discovered it 3 years ago, i've spent every birthday and special occasion there. the burrata, balsamic steak, and sauteed spinach are consistently fantastic and highly recommended by me to friends who have all since become devotees. UNFORTUNATELY, the kitchen chef may have changed, or hopefully just may have had an off night, because on Friday night I took family visiting from out of town for the first time - expecting for it to live up to its previous stellar record and standards. the usually brilliant burrata was soggy, the balsamic steak was over-infused - the balsamic overwhelming the steak, and the spinach was so over-salted it was inedible.:[Special Features:
- Great AtmospherefoodmonsterDined on 8/22/2014A+++. Obvi the mgmt teams knows what they're doing. Absolutely loved the veal. Great work. My fav spot in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!MelissaDined on 8/20/2014I have been to Acqua al 2 in Florence, San Diego, and DC and have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOliviaVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is consistently exceptional, always love going to Acqua Al 2!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Was excited to try this place out, but came away pretty disappointed - not nearly enough bang for your buck. We had the salad trio, the five-pasta sampler, the steak trio, and a chicken dish. Salads - Meh. Caprese was good. Pasta - though the pasta itself was fresh, 4 out of 5 of the pastas we tried were forgettable. Like you could make this at home, not much better than boxed pasta mixes. The spicy tomato sauce pasta was, however, delicious. Steak trio - excellent. Balsamic reduction and blueberry sauce reductions were particularly good. Chicken - decent, but nothing to write home about. Service was excellent. Overall, a great place for steak, but the pasta was pretty disappointing given the Florentine origins of this restaurant.
- Excellent mealDCdinerDined on 8/12/2014I head to Acqua al 2 when I want a simple but delicious dinner. I was rewarded again this visit with an excellent meal. Had the Halibut special and it was really good. Friend had the 'Airline chicken' which is always amazing. Simple food done well.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!ChristineRDined on 8/12/2014I love this restaurant every single time I come! Food was amazing and authentic, service was phenomenal - my favorite restaurant in D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterSlobSeriousaboutfoodDined on 8/10/2014Have eaten here before in February when over from the UK and would have given it 5 stars so came again in August, however they have lost their way badly. The food is still good but the service is now atrocious. They have assistant waiters who don't understand English or table craft and would be better off at a fast food outlet as they obviously have had no training whatsoever, so the restaurant is at fault. We ate courses at different times as one order was wrong. I think that they could pull it back and I would give them one more chance but if nothing changes they will go down. People will vote with their feet and their wallets.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We have dined at this restaurant several times and each time the meal has been superb. The filet in blueberry sauce is a particular favorite of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except...DCDiningCarDined on 8/9/2014The noise! We were next an EXTREMELY loud group (literally, less than 3 feet away). We never said anything, but several other tables sent a waiter over to request them to speak just a little quieter. They responded by getting louder. While the food was delicious and the service was excellent, it was almost impossible to enjoy our meal. It was a celebration dinner, and my request to do something special was honored. If the staff had made an effort to apologize or compensate at least some for that experience, I would be a much happier customer. As it is, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to try to go back if we run the risk of another night like that.Special Features: