Acqua Al 2 Ristorante
322 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2 Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2.com/
- Phone: (619) 230-0382
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner, Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Martin Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Martin Gonzalez 6192300382x
A word from Acqua Al 2 Ristorante
The original restaurant was born in Florence in 1978, on Via dell'acqua, right next to the oldest museum of the world. The idea is to give an alternative to the traditional cooking. The passion for the creative Toscan cuisine using the finest and freshest ingredients, makes this one of the most loved restaurants in Florence. Tonight come and dine in the new culinary adventure guided by Martin in the Gaslamp Quarter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acqua Al 2 Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)great for outdoor dining (10)special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (8)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Trip to Italy, but in San Diego2glasseofredwineadayVIPDined on 11/4/2014This is true Italian food...Perfectly prepared...The Chef choices is the way to go....Special Features:
- Extremely disappointedCynthVIPDined on 10/17/2014We were looking forward to dining at the San Diego restaurant-our children had been to the one in Florence and they raved about it. In San Diego, our waiter was very interested in taking our wine/drink orders (almost pushy) but slow with coming to take our dinner order. The caprese salad was good. My husband and I both ordered Filet Mignon, cooked medium rare, one with blueberry sauce & one with balsamic glaze. It took a LONG time for our food to arrive and when it did, both filets were WAY overdone. In 34 years there has only been one time that we have returned our dishes as being unsatisfactory. We returned our filets and when they brought them again, they were no better. We only ate them b/c we were starving. Not good at all.
- Amazed in San DiegofoodDDined on 10/10/2014Such amazing food as we dined at a sidewalk table. The service was outstanding and friendly, from the hostess to the bus person constantly keeping our water glasses filled and clearing plates to our fantastic server. We really enjoyed the chef's sampler menu which provided a taste of 5 different past dishes and 3 meat dishes and 4 desserts. All were ideal portions for not feeling overwhelmed by the amount of food. Acqua Al 2 was a great find during our trip to San Diego, and will get a return visit the next time we are here.Special Features:
- Hugely disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014We had eaten here before the food was pretty good. This last visit was a huge disappointment. The chicken was overcooked, the tomato sauce was bland but the worst food was the penne alla vodka. It tasted exactly like kraft mac and cheese. Skip this place.
- talmadgefoodieDined on 9/28/2014Food was not well seasoned and tasted quite flat while being way too pricey. I have had better italian food at much cheaper restaurants.
- McCartney DinnerpurplejDined on 9/28/2014I booked this restaurant on the recommendation of friends that have eaten here before. Our reservation was for 5pm because we were attending the Paul McCartney concert. Our waiter was not the best; perhaps he was too busy with too many tables inside and out. The food was delicious, but for those of us eating pasta, we were not offered parmesan cheese for our pasta. I had to ask twice for olive oil to enjoy with the delicious bread.Special Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Francisco was a great waiter. The food was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiniVIPDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food. Seating somewhat uncomfortable (wooden bench without cushion). Tried the tasting menu; excellent food, albeit a bit pricey.Special Features:
- great service and foodkittVIPDined on 8/22/2014The price was a bit high for the value, (esp. The appetizers) but food and service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!kimaDined on 8/19/2014I make sure to dine here at least once every time I am in San Diego. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just satisfactoryVegasplannerDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated my birthday and although the server was nice, the whole experience was satisfactory. We had 2 chicken entrees that were not edible and a steak entree that was cold. We did have risotto and pasta entrees that were good. They did offer us a complimentary dessert but only have half off for one of the chicken entrees. We were in the corner of the rear of the restaurant and it was really hot. Won't return, there are many options in SD.Special Features:
- YuckBrratsDined on 8/10/2014The food was beyond inedible. Not one person out of 7 was able to eat more than a few bites. Even though it was virtually empty, the service was slow and not very friendly. Would never go back!
- The following 488 reviews are from the Acqua Al 2 Ristorante reviews archive.
- InterestingchancesDined on 5/20/2014We chose this restaurant for a special occasion because of our experience with its sister in Florence, Italy. The menu and food preparation are the same. Their most interesting menu item is small portions of 5 different pastas and 3 different meats, followed by 4 different desserts, all chef's choices. It was more than enough food and should you like something specific, you can always go back and order just that item. A little on the expensive side but an interesting concept.Special Features:
- New favorite Italian restaurant!WineLoverDined on 5/8/2014Great service and amazing food! It was a little on the pricey size but it was definitely worth it. Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blueberry Filet is to Die ForLove2EatDined on 4/29/2014This is the second time that I have been to this restaurant and I will go back any time that I visit San Diego. The blueberry filet is something that I dream about between visits. The extensive wine list and chef recommended sampler options are reason enough to dine here. The servers are extremely knowledgeable about the menu and take the time to listen to your preferences prior to making a recommendation and they have always been spot on. We take clients here anytime we are in town and it is always a hit. I would definitely recommend visiting whenever you are in town.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014The food and service was incredible. I'm from out of town and every time I'm in San Diego I'm going to this restaurant. Thanks to the chef and the great service. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServicePAfoodieDined on 4/20/2014Our Easter dinner at this restaurant was truly special. While we didn't get all of the courses as recommended, we totally filled up on appetizers, pasta course and delicious bowls of Italian ice cream for dessert. While the food was terrific, and the atmosphere great, it was the tremendous service that made this experience exceptional. Everyone made sure we were taken care of, and our waiter went above and beyond to help us select the best wine and best food. He was great, and we will definitely go back the next time we are in San Diego!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodCaminiteVIPDined on 4/19/2014We love this place. The food is good, the wine list includes some good bottles at reasonable prices, and the service is usually prompt and friendly. After visiting the original in Florence, Italy, we find Acqua Al 2 to be a good San Diego version of the original. Bread comes in a brown paper bag [reason for this is unclear], and they give you a white bean spread for the bread - something different from the usual olive oil to dip. Like many restaurants we visited in Italy, we find the lighting a bit bright for an evening dinner. During this visit, the lights would dim, then get brighter, then dim again, and get brighter...went on for 20 minutes until someone decided they were happy with the lighting.Special Features:
- Good but not up to publicityBeen2FirenzeDined on 4/16/2014This is a good Itlaian restaurant some nice innovations, like the beet risotto. But it is not up to the outstanding original in Firenze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okFrankDined on 4/13/2014I was surprised that none of the pasta was fresh or homemade. I ordered pasta, which was good enough, but nothing special. My wife ordered the steak which arrived overdone. On a positive note, the service could not have been better. It was truly excellent.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014The food was overall not very good. The quality of the meat was good but it was drenched in a sticky sweet mess of a sauce, the risotto was tasteless, the pasta dishes underwhelming. Overpriced and overhyped. Only good attributes, the salads and the location. Not recommended.
- #service failOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2014I made a reservation for a business lunch. When I arrived, there was no host or hostess. I waited for 15 minutes without seeing anyone. None of the waitstaff checked in either. So I left.
- Never DisappointedTheLadyStephanieVIPDined on 4/4/2014I am never disappointed when I go to Acqua Al 2. We had the pasta tasting plate and the meats tasting plate. I highly recommend this, as you get to sample different items - you will be pleased. The service is always great. We returned from and after dinner stroll to have a coffee and the bartender was super nice. This is definitely a must go to. If you want to venture out on a filet mignon try the one with the blueberry sauce! The other with the balsamic is equally tasty. A great appetizer is the eggplant with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese! Molto buona!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much "authenticity"lanriVIPDined on 4/3/2014The restaurant pride's itself on the menu being identical to the original Acqua Al 2 in Florence, Italy. And indeed, all the pasta appetizers we tried were al dente and tasty. However, they were all vegetarian -- not ideal for anyone who still enjoys meat sauce over pasta. And although our waiter graciously comped me a 2nd cup of coffee, their standard practice is to charge for it. Although all-in-all we had an enjoyable dining experience, it was not inexpensive. There are many places in San Diego that serve equally good or better food and don't charge for coffee refills. For patrons in the US, that's carrying "authenticity" a tad too far.
- I think the kitchen had anOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014I think the kitchen had an off night, but we have never been there before so no way to judge. it took over an hour and half to get food, and all we ordered was a caprese salad, veal chop, and pasta to split. There were some tables that just got up and left. We were joking around with the table next to us, that we should order a pizza and have them deliver it to the restaurant since we were all so hungry. In this instance you would think that the manager would walk around and apologize to people, but he didn't. Food was eh, nothing to right home about. Having been in Florence, this restaurant capitalizes on having a sister restaurant there, but it doesn't even become close to it.
- Great Italian MenumarkVIPDined on 3/14/2014Acqua Al 2 is a great upscale Italian Resturant in the Gas Lamp District, close to the live theaters so is good for before show dinners., We were there for a very early dinner so the restaurant was not crowded and the noise level was low.The Risotto ai Funghi was some of the best I have had and the wine selection was good. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Downtown San DiegoDanTableDined on 1/31/2014There's a great choice of traditional and innovative dishes to enjoy here. I love this place. Don't knock the idea of blueberries on top of your filet mignon until you've tried it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseBigDaddyVIPDined on 1/29/2014On business travel in San Diego and wanted to try something new in the Gaslight District. Had the Prix Fix Restaurant Week menu and much to my surprise other than the bread being a little stale, the dinner was great. Will return next time in San Diego.
- DeliciousPositanoDined on 1/25/2014Service and food were superb. The pasta selections, salads, and frites de mar were group favorites. Our server was professional grade and very relaxed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally an authentic Italian placeZluvs2eatDined on 1/22/2014I had such a good meal here. Actually the best Italian meal i have had in downtown and I have tried at least 3 other Italian places in the area! I did the tasting menu that was offered. It was delicious and offered such a good selection! It would be enough for 2 to share. I had 4 different types of pasta with different type of pastas and sauces. My entree consisted of a petite filet mignon, chicken and another cut of beef on top of their home made focaccia bread. The balsamic reduction on the filet was fantastic and the Parmesan cheese that was shaved on top of the focaccia was the best that I have ever had! Our server was very personable and knowledgable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved all the menu options,kalawrenDined on 1/21/2014Loved all the menu options, and the waiter recommendations were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK restaurantlisaVIPDined on 1/17/2014Everything was OK with our dinner. Food OK, service OK, etc. However, there are just too many other outstanding restaurants in SD I would not go back.
- One of my favorite restaurantsSP27Dined on 1/2/2014One of my favorite restaurants from Florence in San Diego! Blueberry steak is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our NewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013We really enjoyed our New Year eve. Leann,the bartender was very nice. Thank you again Aqua Al2!!Special Features:
- left feeling dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2013Overall the experience was so-so. The food was edible, but nothing special (in my opinion), and didn't seem very authentic Italian. Maybe we just chose poorly or they were having an off night. I've only been once, so I don't want to totally poo-poo the place. The service was ok, but delayed and sporadic. People that sat down after us were paid more attention and we felt as if we were forgotten in the back corner. We left feeling like we spent way too much money for a so-so experience. We probably won't go back because we're not local and there are a lot more restaurants in the area to try.
- Excellent Italian foodCarlDined on 12/24/2013I took my family here for a Christmas Eve dinner. It was excellent. The food was fabulous. There was an extensive wine selection, as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion, but specifically a special one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold food and undercooked pastaIlikefoodDined on 12/11/2013Simply put, I shared the pasta and meat sampler with my dinning companion. 4 out of 5 pasta samplers were cold and undercooked and all three meats were cold.
- Wow. Yum!JulieVIPDined on 11/29/2013Amazing food. A-mazing. Amazing! My husband and I ordered the 2 different filet mignon preparations and a side of gorgonzola gnocchi, and wow! I mean wow. So ridiculously good. It is also the exact same menu as the original location in Florence, Italy. And the service was some of the best we've had in a very long time; it was truly what you expect from fine dining. Friendly and professional; water getting immediately refilled when the level drops; plates immediately removed when you are done; yet you never feel like they're staring at you or hovering over your shoulder. They even brought over a personal, tableside coat rack for us, as we each were wearing long coats. The tiramisu was also delicious. This place is now a new favorite!Special Features:
- It's a winning betMannyDined on 11/16/2013The food is very good, there are very oginal dishes in The menu, It is AN italian Restaurant with character and good quality food. The pasta sample is a must for firstcommers, good italian wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyYummyDined on 11/16/2013Yet another delicious meal at one of our favorite San Diego restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.