9 Great Jones St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://acmenyc.com/
- Phone: 212-203-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Acme
Acme serves locally-sourced, seasonal New American Fare with Nordic accents in a casual bistro setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acme reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (27)special occasion (25)romantic (24)hot spot (24)great for brunch (17)late-night find (16)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great RestaurantLoni101VIPDined on 8/23/2014ACME was terrific. Food was wonderful. Very eclectic menu. Refreshing. Healthy. Would definitely go back. Took my 23 year old daughter and two friends. We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anaskuVIPDined on 8/22/2014I don't think we got the full experience of Acme because we were seated right at the entrance. The main dining room seemed much more dynamic, relaxed and enjoyable. As it was, I felt off in a corner and a bit awkward which made the slight negatives of the experience more pronounced - slow service and share plates of yummy food but small portions. That being said, the restaurant is gorgeous. The food was very good but I wasn't dying over it. Very good for a healthier night out with girlfriends!Special Features:
- IncredibleDined on 8/22/2014First visit here and was for my sisters birthday celebrations. Loved it! The vibe is cool, staff are super attentive and the food was delicious. We had fish skins, fish tacos (my favourite), mushroom and corn and the pork crepes - delicious!Special Features:
- Great for veggie loverscarmenreyVIPDined on 8/12/2014Had a fun dinner here with a group of 5. Food was great - tons of veggie options which I loved. Price point is high.Special Features:
- Absolutely delightfulkoftyDined on 8/9/2014I wasn't sure what to expect - but Acme surpassed even my wildest expectations. Following the excellent guidance from the staff, we selected a mix of dishes, and every single one blew our mind. The Pearl Barley - better than most risottos I've had. The Monkfish, wrapped in cabbage - amazing. The Foie Gras & Langoustines - delicious. We shared, as suggested, and every single dish surprised us with freshness and selection of ingredients as well as taste. Let's not forget about the desserts - one came with a sweet chanterelle cream, and it was as surprising as delicious. So were the stuffed strawberries - what an idea! I'll be back on my next visit to NYC.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!karinVIPDined on 8/8/2014Me and my husband loved the 4 dishes we had - 3 starters and one entree. They all come in portions that are good to share. Don't miss the starters! All the menu has combinations that you probably never had before (like the delicious lamb and oyster tartare) and the chef's imagination seems endless. We were only disappointed with the deserts: we had three of them and they were only ok, nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasJulesDined on 8/7/2014I had initially gone to Acme when it opened. The food was good, the waiter was knowledgable and friendly. Now, it's like a night club, that I don't feel cool enough to go to. Everything was about the scene, and the food seemed like it was an afterthought. We actually got up and left after our drinks. I wanted a place that cared for me, not a place where I had to vie for service.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/7/2014Having eaten at many of the city's top restaurant we had to try Acme due to its affiliation to NOMA (chef use to work there). We read some reviews which were very average, but most people who write these reviews go to places like Acme twice a year and expect the moon and the stars for a hundred and fifty dollars. The decor on the inside was what we call "edgy". We did the tasting menu. The food was innovative, with unusual ingredients that worked well together. The highlights was the goat cheese yogurt with beat nitroginized beets and hard rye bread crumble. The food was good - the only thing where they fell a little short for us was the service. The service was attentive, but very poor when it came to explaining the good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Overpriced for the quality and quantity...unimpressed.
- acme southern and cajun food?!DavidBDined on 8/2/2014The food is very good but it's more on the Scandinavian end. The restaurant should market it self as a southern-Scandinavian food rather than southern and cajun. Also the name is quite odd. I know it has a good meaning but doesn't sound nice for a restaurant at this level. The food was great and very creative. Ambiance and bar really good. Downstairs bar also very good. Service was not that great, also not everyone would like the chef menu due to the raw food as well as the amount of seafood items, not an issue for me but for my wife. I asked the waiter if I could order the menu only for me and he told me no and no exceptions. Got very frustrated with that. Restaurant should better accommodate customers requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- raw food trend is not for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014When you leave a restaurant thinking that the drinks were better than the food something is wrong. Not that meals were bad but not even one was remarkable. I had the $75 7- dish menu. Great ambiance though.Special Features:
- Romantic Dinner at AcmeGourmetGirlDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had a fabulous dinner at Acme when we were in New York on business last week. The food was great and we even saw the chef in the restaurant which was such an added bonus. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and felt very romantic and the food was both delicious as well as interesting and creative. My husband really enjoyed the evening and so did I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really bad bouncersfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014i went there for a dinner with a friend. we had a reservation and were seated promptly. dinner and drinks were great--no issues with that. after our dinner we went downstairs to the bar. it was quite empty, but we still stayed and ordered a few drinks. i then stepped out, because my sister was visiting town for a few days and wanted to greet her. with her, we tried to get back in, but the extremely rude bouncer in the front told me he can only let one of us in. i told him i dined there and that it's empty inside. he didn't look me in the eye and just shouted at me that he is doing his job by not allowing us to get it. i couldn't say goodbye to my friends inside the bar and had to leave immediately. what a horrible experience!Special Features:
- Terrible food and serviceJavoDined on 7/18/2014Acme offers a terrible service and not worthy expensive food. Wouldn´t reccomend, neither going back. There´s so many options, to not receive good service and food, as you paid. Terrible the bouncer to get in to the " fkn club"
- Innovation equals deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2014Finally tried Acme after all of last year's hype and criticism. I had no idea what to expect and was more than pleasantly surprised by their innovative menu. We were four people, all fairly adventurous eaters and shared what seemed to be half of the menu. To my surprise, the foie gras with (uncooked) langoustine was the clear favorite. Totally unique dish that was fresh and balanced. The spare ribs were delicious (and gluten free!) as was the pulled pork and Johnny cakes which came with a variety of most interesting accoutrements/ban chan to be rolled up into mushu or Korean BBQ style wraps. Drinks were fantastic and in entice as well. Our one misfire was the dessert called oak and something - a bit too far fetched and oddly savory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, Creative, OverpricedRhymingRitaDined on 7/9/2014We did find some of the flavor profiles a bit sketchy, and the prices were inflated to the point of being a bit silly. The foie gras and langoustine appetizer was an interesting idea that just tastes - interesting. Not pleasureable, not satisfying, just interesting. A dozen oysters were plump, fresh, and without a single spec of sand or grit. Allso ordered the "Johnnycakes" which is really just pulled pork, interesting condiments, and a corn crepe to wrap. Appetizing and entertaining - but $38? Seriously? And a fish entry by the $3 oz that can only be ordered in 12 or 19 oz sizes because the smaller sizes "sell out"? Cocktails are, of course, also overpriced. At these prices I expected to be flown to the moon - not even close.
- Fantastic evening eating in the barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Perfection ... Great food, great service :)my Best meal i nyc to dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereTiiaDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant has great atmosphere. We took the July tasting with 9 courses with matching wines (5 different wines). They were some good tastes like smoked fish tacos and the braised pork, excellent choices. Some other weren't that special but they were okay. The wines matched the food well. We just hoped some more information from the wines. Little explanations about the wines would be nice. Maybe you could bring the bottle to the table when bringing new wines that the customer could see the bottle too. Anyway the service is great and friendly. Good place to visit in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BadunhappycustomerDined on 6/29/2014Way too overpriced, and the food was not half as good as I was expecting it to be.
- Silly foodHstudVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food combos didn't work. The oysters with pine was horrible. The cauliflower was good but sloppily presented, the Johnny cakes ingredients were all over the place. The other items we had were just nothing to get excited about.The drinks were really good and so was the service.
- pretty but underwhelmingfoodlover22Dined on 6/9/2014At first glance it's a beautiful space with a well dressed and vibrant crowd. Our table was in a terrible location but to their credit they did move us once another opened up (without us asking). The cocktail we had while waiting was light and fresh and delicious. That's when the fun stopped. Grilled oysters (5) were ok but small and overpriced. 'green' strawberries (aka unripened) sounded interesting, but it was largely without flavour and just a creamy pleasant dish with no pop. 'Grilled' lettuce salad was - again - small and overpriced and I've made it better at home on my bbq. The final dish - the chicken - was absolutely delicious but we had stopped caring by then. Overall nice place for a drink but much better to be found out there!Special Features:
- Amazing flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was delicious--the intensity and the mix of flavors was amazing. In spite of the room being quite lively, sitting at a large table in the back there were only a few times that we could not hear everyone in our group. The experience was such that even our doubting Thomas was won over and spoke of a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSadFoodieDined on 5/24/2014I rarely have a dining experience where every dish selected is enjoyable, but such was the case eating at Acme. Our group had the lamb & oyster tartar, crispy salmon skins, chicken & eggs, johnny cakes, artichokes, and fries, and there was not a single dish that any member of our group had problems with. The flavors were perfectly balanced and the food was so fresh! Our waiter was personable and gave great advice on portions (we ate family-style). The ambience was elegant without the overly dim lighting some restaurants feel they need to create "atmosphere". I definitely plan on eating here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceVickylevyDined on 5/17/2014Very nice atmosphere, nice people, food ok, open until late and nice drinksSpecial Features:
- Loved ItPerfectVIPDined on 5/16/2014My friends and I were really impressed with Acme. Each person who works there that we encountered was courteous, charming and helpful. The food was outstanding. We especially loved the mackerel tarts and brown eggs. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/10/2014Strange. This Nordic-tinged menu uses local ingredients in odd combinations. It's interesting, not bad, but probably not worth all the hype the Acme has generated. The menu is small. Service is relaxed and friendly. The old Acme -- which served a very different cuisine -- is still recognizable after modest renovations.
- Special treatment, laid backbigcatbootDined on 5/5/2014I felt comfortable, at ease, and very satisfied while dining at Acme. It's been on my list for quite some time, and my expectations were reasonably matched. Happy to report that the food was outstanding (esp. cauliflower with brie and black truffle). I'd highly recommend based on food alone. However, it was the general sense of ease and comfort that would really pull me back. We never felt rushed, and surely maxed out our time at Acme.Special Features:
- EvolvingmarcusDined on 5/2/2014I have eaten at Acme several times, and have liked it better in the past. It seems that although the food still has a Scandinavian feel, the bitter flavors and the flavor contrasts are being muted to conform more to popular taste. We had the tasting menu ($75) which covered many of the small dishes on the menu, and it left an overall weak impression. We tried the wine pairings ($45) which made an effort to match this not very wine friendly food, with mixed success. Probably worth another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish We Had More TimeNoelTDined on 5/2/2014Had a pre-theater ("Here Lies Love") dinner at ACME and wish we had more time to savor the wonderful dishes. Unusual and inspired menu delivered. Looking forward to returning and making the meal the event.Special Features:
- The following 335 reviews are from the Acme reviews archive.
- Poor attention to detail.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2014We got the tasting menu with wine pairings. Never were the wines explained to us more than "this is a Riesling," for example, and we were not at all informed for how many courses each wine selection was to last. At one point, a waiter "topped off"our glasses without any forewarning. He poured in a different wine than we were drinking without realizing it and never amended it himself. That in and of itself is understandable, perhaps, but overall, the poor attention to any detail or ability to care for the diners overshadowed what were a few interesting food preparations (raw foie gras and langoustines; radishes with oyster mayo; raw lamb and oysters). We left thoroughly disappointed.Special Features:
- Noma in New York!Anne12Dined on 4/27/2014Fantastic food and service very friendly, we ate at Noma Copenhagen, recognizable dishes in iTS own waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowergirlDined on 4/26/2014Nice little downtown spot for a lunch/brunch on Saturday before heading to theatre. Enjoyed lamb sandwich. There are no outdoor tables, however.
- Inventive Nordic Brunchad2321Dined on 4/26/2014Had brunch for two at Acme on Saturday 4/26. Very quiet at 11 AM. The steak tartare was the best I've ever eaten. Egg dishes were creative. Portions were scaled perfectly. Our server was outstanding--she indulged me with a lengthy conversation about mezcal and made a beautifully balanced mezcal margarita.Special Features:
- Mixed with a clubOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014My wife and I were having a very good dinner which was booked At 10:00 pm, then a couple of frinds arrived from a different restaurant to see us and held us finish our last wine bootle ($135). My friend called me saying that the dorrman wasn't letting him in (what's the purpose of a doorman in a restaurant?). To end the story, I went to the door and be advised that they were not taking more people in the restaurant and started to look to his phone, while the bodyguard was pushing my friend from the door - very nice!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticPiamartinDined on 4/24/2014We were received and shown to the lively bar, 'cause we arrived a little early. Nice reception(ist) :-) At the table it was a challenge to comprehend the way the meal was going to be "organized". But the waiter gave us very good advice, and we created a great menu-plan for the evening. And we had quite many surprising - in the positive way - experiences in tasting the different courses. It was great! It was tasteful, it was new, it was original. I never had radishes in an emulsion of oyster and parsley. The Californian white wine was great. And the Cognac and Grappa were only found slightly guilty in the hangover next morning. All in all: Mums!Special Features:
- We will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Friendly staff, great food, and good service made the experience very pleasurable.Special Features:
- a new type of dining experienceVOtronDined on 4/19/2014The ambience was familiar, great for people watching. The star of the experience was the food. The ingredients were all listed on the menu, but the preparation was mind-altering experience. From the delicate egg custard served in a basket of hay to the freeze-dryer dessert. Everything was so delicate, elegant, and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!ADKSamDined on 4/12/2014My girlfriend and I went down for a weekend in the city. Our experience at ACME left nothing to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed thebirchrunnerVIPDined on 4/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the innovative cuisine at Acme. While limited, due to food allergies, the chef and staff did a great job helping me to navigate through the menu. The dishes were all beautifully presented and flavors were extraordinary. We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Saturday brunchMimo13Dined on 4/5/2014Made reservations for an early Saturday brunch, expecting to be packed. Instead, it was very tranquil which was perfect! Food was good, especially the pastry basket. Delish! The baked egg was ok, will definitely go back to try other dishes. Wish there was an outdoor spot though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.