Acme Food & Beverage Co.
110 E Main St
Carrboro, NC 27510Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Acme Food & Beverage Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acmecarrboro.com/
- Phone: 9199292263
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Kevin Callaghan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Acme offers personalized catered events from 40 to 400. The catering staff has extensive experience in taking care of all aspects of the event. All alcohol permits. Specializing in southern food and hospitality.
A word from Acme Food & Beverage Co.
The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Acme Food & Beverage Co. - Best Restaurants in Carrboro ›
Acme Food & Beverage Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (108)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (74)great for brunch (57)romantic (42)good for groups (38)notable wine list (29)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Why alway so overdone?Noonie72Dined on 8/30/2014We always have a very positive feeling towards Acme, it was one of the first places we tried when we moved to the area. But the last several times we have been there the food has been very mediocre mainly because the kitchen just overwhelms dishes with sauces and ingredients. For example, I had the caprese starter with fresh tomatoes but they were doused in pesto sauce, just drowning and you couldn't appreciate the fresh mozzarella or tomatoes at all. The same with the stuffed pepper appetizer, and essentially all the full meals, doused in gravies and additional items that overwhelmed rather than refining the taste of the great quality bases, whether that be a meat, veggie or fish dish. I think we will stick to a hamburger next time.Special Features:
- INCREDIBLEkpmooreDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant just shot up to my list of best in Chapel Hill. The food here was nothing short of a work of art. The outdoor dining is more relaxing than anyone's backyard I've ever enjoyed, plus full-service and a water feature. The service was stellar. The waitress was attentive with excellent recommendations, and the whole staff was very attentive. Back to the food though, the balance and complexity of flavors in every dish we ordered was incredible. My shrimp-filled chile relleno was covered in a complex mole sauce that was unlike anything anywhere. They managed to class-up southern sausage and bacon on a glorious charcuterie plate. This restaurant is absolutely a destination, and will be our Chapel Hill special occasion go-to.Special Features:
- Great Local FoodlocalisbestDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I went for a significant anniversary. We were very pleased by everything from the cocktails and wine selection all the way through desert. I'm a big fan of eating locally, and they serve fresh NC seafood and many local vegetables and meats. Everything was well prepared and well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Idyllic dining experienceSunnyDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dining experience sitting outside on a beautiful evening. The waterfall and greenery surrounding the outside dining area made it very idyllic. Our group of four women was using the event to celebrate our long-time friendship as one of our members was moving away. We each had a delicious meal; mine was crab cakes over a shrimp jambalaya. It was suburb! Some of the best crab cakes I have ever had. The service was quick and efficient, but we never felt rushed. We had plenty of time to enjoy the meal and time together. All in all it was an outstanding dining experience!Special Features:
- rfgabDined on 8/23/2014ACME is the apex of the presentation of heirloom tomatoes! The red snapper was very good and the Blue Moon Pork was excellent. The key lime pie to top it off was most fine.Special Features:
- Lived Up to Their SloganJoAnneDined on 8/23/2014Thank goodness someone got a gift certificate to Acme!! They totally lived up to their slogan "Damn Good Food". EVERYTHING we had was unique and flavorful. The chefs really work their magic! And so did the bar with the watermelon sangria! We will definitely go back even though we live 40 minutes away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent food for our party of 6 with varied tastes. Service attentive but unobtrusive and well timed. Only problem was noise level, as conversation so important--this was a reunion after 30 years, so we wanted to hear every word.Special Features:
- Great food every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Relaxed atmosphere and excellent food with very good wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placedaddyruchirDined on 8/18/2014We love going to Acme. We just went with a couple from S.F. foodie friends. Even they were blown away by this place. I'm a vegetarian, so the one thing is I wish there were more options for me. But, 95% of the top dollar restaurants out there are not super-veggie friendly, so I can't really complain. My vegetable risotto was pretty awesome anyways. The best thing about this last visit was the farmhouse funky wine our waiter produced off the wine list. it was a mushroom, earthy wine for $40. Loved it!!! The only thing that wasn't fantastic was the butternut pudding. was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- NancyDined on 8/17/2014Acme is one of my favorite go-to restaurants. I go there when I want a special experience, when I'm blue and want to feel uplifted, when I want to be with good friends, when I want to celebrate something special. The food is always delicious, the service pleasant, and the experience never fails to meet my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific birthday dinner!lunchproVIPDined on 8/14/2014It was my choice on where to dine for my birthday and Acme didn't disappoint me! I've never had a bad meal there and the seasonal offerings are always terrific. I still had the salmon and again wasn't disappointed. All of our appetizers were amazing and the French rose I had by the glass was terrific as well. Love Acme every time!Special Features:
- A local treasuremaxsparksDined on 8/12/2014Acme features the best of southern cuisine with seasonal favorites from many local farms. The appetizers and desserts are to die for they also have a great wine a cocktail selection. The specials on Tuesday night are must!Special Features:
- great local food!!elvisDined on 8/12/2014Acme is wonderful. The menu changes often enough that there's always something new, seasonal, and interesting. Luckily, they also keep old favorites on the menu (their fried chicken might be the best i've ever had). Our server overhead that it was my friend's birthday and brought our dessert with a lit candle which delighted my teenage friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceretiredinNCDined on 8/8/2014I was a little wary when I choose a restaurant by the name of Acme Food but it was absolutely great. Food and service were excellent. The only problem is that they do not split a bill for two couples so my husband and I ended up paying more than our share when we split the bill.
- Great for grad studentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014In my time as a grad student at UNC, I loved getting together with a group of friends to go to Acme on Tuesday nights for their recession special. I probably went there 15 times in 3 years, and never had a bad experience or a bad plate of food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Poor Service...BBobDined on 8/5/2014The food at Acme is great, but I will never go back again due to the rude waitstaff and poor service. I've been to Acme several times and the service has not improved. Each time I have made reservations at Acme, the food service was slow and my group was rushed by pushy, rude waiters. Also, Acme refuses to provide separate checks for large parties, which is fine; however, Acme is the only place I've ever dined that considers a party of 5 a "large group". Typically, that number is 6 people. The separate check policy is something that the waitstaff should mention to diners before they are seated. This would save a great deal of time and awkwardness when the bill arrives.
- Worth a tryAppmarineDined on 8/1/2014We dined at Acme with neighborhood friends with whom we eat out on our birthday months. The restaurant staff was friendly and the service was prompt. Everyone liked their food, though I had a ribeye special, which was tasty, but exceedingly grisselly (sp). Except for the steak and the fact that the tables were so close wait staff kept bumping into our backs, Acme is well worth a visit. Good food, good wine list and nice lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, great service!919to212Dined on 8/1/2014Absolutely delicious! Must try the cornbread, vegetable risotto and watermelon/peach sangria!! Job well done, ACME! Will definitely be back and refer everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sassysueDined on 8/1/2014We had a great time! We sampled many different items from the menu & everything was great! Can't wait to dine here again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food and serviceMrPaul1Dined on 7/31/2014I was pleasantly surprised of the variety, quality and quantity of Amce dinners. Awesome. To make reservations on online website. Each time someone for the restaurant called see if I had any special requests,etc -very classy and professional !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchT2SPVIPDined on 7/27/2014Excellent service, delicious food! I dine here often and the personal service along with consistent local, fresh food are just several reasons I return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remains on our top-10 listEBBrDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I had dinner with her mother and our daughter (who is a chef). My mother-in-law asked to have her fries extra crispy, and that's exactly what she got. My gumbo was very good; my wife's tomato plate and charcuterie were both excellent; our daughter's fried okra, flash fried peppers, and pulled pork salad were also great. The beers were good, though my mother-in-law was disappointed that there was no hefeweizen available (e.g., Blue Moon). We ate everything! And our waiter was knowledgeable, helpful, and funny without going over the top. Very nice dinner, once again, at Acme!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant discoveryXmodelDined on 7/23/2014Loved this place!! Being a spoiled New Yorker I've see it all. I was pleasantly surprised to fine a great dining spot in a cool neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicedeedub84Dined on 7/22/2014We love to go to Acme in Carrboro. We went for our son's 21st birthday. The server was awesome, friendly, vibrant. The food was delicious. Tuesday is $12.99 entree night, so great food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Two Nights in a RowDinerDougDined on 7/22/2014Acme is usually so good that I recently went two nights in a row. Both times the meal was good and the atmosphere was great. Dinner was nice, but brunch is really their forte.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewsltopherDined on 7/21/2014A friend brought me to Acme the first time I visited Chapel Hill, so I wanted to return now that I've moved here. I LOVED the food and drinks during the first meal, but on this second visit I was really disappointed. My calamari salad was tasty, but pretty greasy. And then my main dish of crab cakes was really salty and not very flavorful. My partner ordered the salmon and the fish and grits were great, so I'm glad I had a chance to enjoy that. Our server was great, but he never asked me how the food was and didn't notice that my plate had most of the food left on it. It was such a stark contrast from my first visit there. I hope this was a blip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, But . . .gjetsonDined on 7/20/2014Tasty comfort food, well prepared and fairly priced. Heirloom tomato appetizers were out of this world. Our waiter was friendly and professional but had too many tables and was not very attentive. It didn't spoil the evening, but we didn't like the tight spacing of the tables and the long wait for our main courses. After our appetizers were cleared, it took about 40 minutes for the entrees to show up. It was a busy night, but still. We'll definitely go back, but maybe on a weeknight.Special Features:
- Great placeJAPwPDPDined on 7/20/2014I have been to ACME several times with friends, family and for special occasions and have always enjoyed the food and service. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- Great food, service and decor!ChgogalDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I went based on positive reviews found online. We were very happy with our meals, the service and the charming patio. We went with the pecan chicken and a soft shell crab special. There were many other items on the menu that we want to try and are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, local, and fantasticFamilyInTownDined on 7/19/2014Celebrated my 25th anniversary with my employer here. The wait staff was fantastic. Knew all about the specials, wine pairings, etc., and made recommendations to the table that we all enjoyed. Shared appetizers and passed the entrees around, everything we had was first rate. And they specialize in local produce direct from local farmers to your table. Living near Acme is one of the great things about living in Carrboro.Special Features:
- Good local restaurantfamniteoutDined on 7/19/2014Good local restaurant with farm to table mentality. Food is good. Service slow. Cocktails fair. Tomato dishes, Hamburger, steak and tuna good choices. Spaghetti and meatballs, roasted pork, charcuterrie disappointing. Desserts good especially peach cobbler and brownie. Wines a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not what it used to be292929Dined on 7/16/2014I have enjoyed Acme's food for years, but I am sorry to say that it is not what it once was. The crab cakes I ate last week were not near as good as the dish I enjoyed a few years ago. The crab was not that fresh, the rice/tomato/okra accompaniment was bland, and there was something in the dish was far too sweet. I couldn't say what that was, but the sweetness didn't go with the crab cakes and overpowered the dish. The tomato plate appetizer was pretty good, but the olive oil in the pesto topping was tasteless and thin. It didn't really taste like olive oil. I also tasted some of the scallop fritters, but found them to be essentially a moister hushpuppy with corn kernels. I couldn't detect any scallop flavor. Disappointing.
- Terrible seating, too crowdedFoodloveDined on 7/15/2014The food was tasty, but everything else was terrible. The hostess was rude and there are way too many tables crammed into that small restaurant. Also, we were stuck in some reject corner--I didn't even get to choose where I sat.
- perfect dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Amazing service and food. What a gem! We were there for part of the tomsyo festival and had anamazing heirloom tomato appetizer, as well as the fried oyster salad. Entrees were perfect; I think the forever pig might be the best BBQ I've ever tasted. The salmon was also amazing. Perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CarrborodcfoodieDined on 7/10/2014Acme is consistently one of the best restaurants in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. The food is always excellent; the service is very good; sitting outside is very pleasant. It has become my "go to" place for a nice dinner. The only issue is that if you are sitting inside, it can become loud and hard to have a conversationSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014Excellent and exceptional. Unique cuisine with amazing flavors. I was thoroughly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMfood4thoughtDined on 7/6/2014A southern flare and delicious food. Fried catfish, tomato plate, great and wine beer selection and the butterscotch pudding is amazing!Special Features:
- Stuffed!!ChachaDined on 7/6/2014Amazing food and a lot of it! Start out with tray of 3 amazing donuts, walk the block then come back and have amazing smoked salmon eggs Benedict. I'm not big on eggs Benedict but this was on a homemade pastry and very fresh eggs. Very unique, different and awesome food. Wait time for food, check, and refill ( which never happened) where extremely long my only negative comment. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always...Cpember2Dined on 7/6/2014I love this place. I have been for dinner and brunch, as well as a tasting on a food tour. Every time has ben SO GOOD! For brunch, my friend and I split the doughnuts and the coffee cake, and I ha the Acme breakfast. My two eggs was more like 4 or 5 eggs, with perfectly crispy bacon (I asked for it that way), yummy (somewhat spicy) potatoes, and the most incredibly biscuit I have ever eaten. I highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Special PlaceNancyDined on 7/6/2014Acme has been one of my favorite restaurants for a long time. The food is always excellent, the service friendly and attentive, and,their Manhattans are superior. My friends and I frequently go there for Sunday Brunch , where the menu provides a nice variation beyond the standard fare. One of us has serious food allergies, so she calls ahead and the chef always provides a delicious alternative to meet her needs. I love this place! I sometimes go there for dinner by myself and always have a wonderful experience.Special Features: