Acme Food & Beverage Co.
110 E Main St
Carrboro, NC 27510Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Acme Food & Beverage Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acmecarrboro.com/
- Phone: 9199292263
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Kevin Callaghan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Acme offers personalized catered events from 40 to 400. The catering staff has extensive experience in taking care of all aspects of the event. All alcohol permits. Specializing in southern food and hospitality.
A word from Acme Food & Beverage Co.
The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Acme Food & Beverage Co. - Best Restaurants in Carrboro ›
Acme Food & Beverage Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)neighborhood gem (118)great for outdoor dining (76)special occasion (71)great for brunch (62)good for groups (35)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)hot spot (16)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- DistinctiveArcherDined on 10/22/2014Great menu combining Southern and other influences, delicious food and great service. Excellent martinisSpecial Features:
- PerfectbradweissDined on 10/21/2014If you don't go to $12.95 Tuesdays at ACME you are missing out on a fantastic deal, on to of the always exceptional food. ACME is everything from a neighborhood joint to a romantic retreat. The best in Carrboro.Special Features:
- Hello strangersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I initially requested an outdoor table. However I was seated indoors. It was ok with me however I was very displeased with where they seated me. It was myself and my significant other and we were seated very closely to a group of people that were loud and very close which made the dinner the opposite of intimate. The restaurant had sections that had no patrons so it was frustrating to be eating with a group of strangers when we were a couple and had made the best effort to make reservations and request the outdoor seating. The meal was very delicious but for the prices you would hope for a better overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest ReviewDinerDined on 10/16/2014Food was superb, service was great, but noise level was awful. Almost always problematic is the noise but it was particularly bad this night by the windows. What can you do?Special Features:
- Great food an servicebuddhasdelightDined on 10/16/2014Tasty dishes (even though their small plates really are small). Good drinks, pleasant atmosphere, and attendant service. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady OnJerryLDined on 10/15/2014We have been to Acme many times over the years and enjoyed our latest visit. Though our server seemed a bit harried (the joint was jumping), we did not experience any unseemly waits for anything. The food has taken on a considerably more carnivorous direction and the dishes without meat, especially pork, were definitely in a minority position. Yet, my vegetarian dining partner enjoyed her meal - the hand pie and okra/brussell sprout combo. The oysters rockefeller starter tasted fresh enough, though the seasoning was quite underdone. My short rib was delicious. Drinks, wine and dessert were first-rate. I especially enjoyed the butterscotch pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and local delightstonysDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant sources locally as much as possible. Fresh fish from nearby farming operations as well as from the sea. A local chicken purveyor, and local green growers add to the experience of "farm to table." We heartily recommend this restaurant for those looking for well prepared food using the best of what's available locally.Special Features:
- Spotty and often disappointingcarrborodinerDined on 10/12/2014We have been frequent diners at Acme - a neighborhood restaurant which we have a great affection for. Over the last year, the food has become markedly unpredictable in quality - and our last visit might have been our last - ordering ribeye steak (medium rare) the inside was purple, virtually cold and uncooked, and the steak itself was cut into bite-sized pieces, more like a stew than a steak. When we asked to have (both) steaks recooked, they did so (graciously) but simply put the entire plate (including the fries) into the oven - the steak was moderately cooked, the fries were crispy potato chips (not a good thing.) The steak itself was questionable as well - this appeared to be anything but - lots of fat, little meat. Truly disappointing.
- I've usually been very happyDinnerDateDined on 10/12/2014This was my fourth time at your restaurant. I am sad to say it was my least favorite. Mainly due to your server. He was "phoneing it in" so to speak. To start I asked for tea and need decaf. Most places give you teas to look at. He said "well green tea is and chamomile" I know most green tea isn't decaf. So I asked him to check because it was becoming apparent that he wasn't going to just bring me tea options. Then he comes with already steeping chamomile tea and a cup no honey or even asked me. My date started to ask for a alteration on your Texas boarder. Which he had previously had the last time we dinned here. The waiter cut him off and said we don't do substitutions. He continued in this manner, you live and die by your staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting time was far too long.DukePA2000Dined on 10/11/2014The food was great. Our waiter was attentive. We however had to wait 90 minutes for our food to arrive. We arrived at 6:30 and ordered shortly thereafter. It took thirty minutes for our appetizers to arrive and a full ninety minutes for our entrees to arrive at our table.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOut2eatDined on 10/11/2014We had a great meal and yummy drinks! Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Loved it. Wonderful.Mom2manyDined on 10/10/2014Loved the food. Wonderful specials. Will definitely be back. Already told a friend they should goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014We took a group here and had absolutely horrible service. Our waitress was extremely inattentive and quite rude. The only time she interacted with us was to take our order. Thankfully, other servers came by to check on us. I have been here before and had some of the best service, so they are capable of it, but I would say this ranks on the top 3 worse service experiences I have ever had. The food was delicious, but if I hadn't had the great service once before, I would not return to this restaurant. I will try it one more time and see how it goes before deciding if I'll ever go back.Special Features:
- tables too close togetherScooterUNCDined on 10/5/2014I'm all for maximizing profits but I shouldn't be able to reach over and grab the food off the next table. Squeezed us into a tiny 2 top between 2 very obnoxious 4 tops who had commandeered the available space on the banquette with their laptops and coats allowing my partner little room to breathe. Server was clueless and left us hanging without the offer of a second drink until she overheard me asking my partner if he thought I'd ever get her attention. Wait time between apps and entree was 29 minutes... Abyssmal...
- Outstanding food and serviceGAtarheelVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had an excellent dinner, just as good as we remember our last meal to be. We were especially appreciative that on a crowded Sat night, the hostess honored our reservation which we had changed from 4 to 2 via open table earlier in the daybut was apparently not communicated to them. Their policy is not to put a party of two at a four top table. The restaurant was packed with people without reservations waiting. We had submitted our change in good faith and were grateful that they responded by honoring our request and seating us at the larger table since there were no other options available. We thought the heirloom tomato salad was superb- and had excellent crab cakes and salmon as our entres. Look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good stuffSouthernGirlAdventuresDined on 10/3/2014This favorite spot always serves up tasty plates — but tonight we wondered why our server assumed we would not want the freshly baked bread served to all the tables around us... or why it was assumed we would not be interested in dessert, coffee, another glass of wine… The food was good, though the salmon combo with cheese grits and black beans is an odd combo to me. The roasted brussel sprouts were delicious, as was the calamari salad. It's just too pricey an evening to rush and skimp — Perhaps we'll try again in November…Special Features:
- Great Place!momof2Dined on 10/1/2014Took my UNC student & other teens out for a birthday dinner. We had a 4th surprise guest that they accommodated easily. We found parking easily in side lot, then the storefront entrance to this neighborhood gem. Weather was perfect for outdoor dining, patio was well-appointed, cozy & had great ambiance. Service was attentive without being even remotely pushy. We all ordered very different entrees & all were thrilled with their food. Small menu with interesting seasonal specialties, and we all found something cool to try. I'd recommend.Special Features:
- So glad we ate hereEPODDined on 9/29/2014I had always heard about this place, but we live so far away that I never got around to eating here. Finally had a chance 2 nights ago and it was excellent. Food was outstanding and ambiance is upbeat with a nieghborhood feel. Will definitely eat here again if we're in the area.Special Features:
- drchewDined on 9/27/2014Creative menu selections with a southern tilt, executed deftly and delivered by professional staff. Delicious! Enjoyed the cozy outdoor patio on a warm late summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food as alwaysJwodineDined on 9/24/2014Great butternut squash hand pie! Delicious seasonal crab cakes with jambalaya! Even when the service is a little slow, the kitchen never disappoints!Special Features:
- ellenDined on 9/21/2014This was my first time at Acme. Took some friends from out of town. We all loved the foodSpecial Features:
- We loved it!dstubbsDined on 9/21/2014This weekend we tried Acme in Carrboro. Several people recommended it to us. We were not disappointed. The food was amazing and the service was top notch. We will definitely be coming back to this great farm-to-table restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014I was disappointed in ACME this visit. ACME is one of my favorite restaurants and one of my go to places for a nice evening out. The food choices were not up to the usual standard. I don't eat red meat and my husband is lactose intolerant. There were very few choices for us. Since, the chef refuses to do substitutions, he should consider not having cheese on every dish. I won't give up on them, but hope for better selections next visit.Special Features:
- Great brunch locationNCfoodieDined on 9/21/2014Sunday brunch with friends couldn't have been more pleasurable. Our server was very attentive and helpful, the Bloody Mary menu was fun and tasty (one tip to Acme-find or make some bacon-infused vodka!). They are a little inflexible hen asking for an addition to the Eggs Benedict but our server went to bat for us and convinced the kitchen to accommodate my wish (for a price).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cramped, bad service, bad atmospherWashingtonVIPDined on 9/21/2014We came for brunch. The donuts were good. Everything else -- the specials, the omlettes, and especially the slow inattentive service -- was just awful. This is one of those places that only exists because people in the Research Triangle will pay good money for garbage. Avoid.
- Awesome Brunch!!lunchproVIPDined on 9/21/2014We so enjoyed our Sunday brunch at Acme this weekend. We started with the 3 donut plate and a piece of the coffee cake. Both were fantastic. We all four thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the benedict hand pie special and ate almost every bite. A couple of others had the benedict deluxe entree and loved it as well. The grits are a don't-miss. Acme is one of my favorite restaurants anyways, and now it's my favorite brunch spot as well.Special Features:
- Family brunchdeniseDined on 9/21/2014Started with donuts.. A must do. Oyster salad, a few egg dishes an the outstanding French toast casserole. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Sunday BrunchBrunchinDined on 9/21/2014Food was excellent. My dad loved the tomato juice, said he could tell "it isnt V8." Homemade sausage was good. Overall a great brunch location in Carrboro. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- DjdtVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our food was very well prepared. Salmon and crab cakes. My only complaint was they really rushed us. We had just finished our appetizers and the entrees appeared. Felt like the wanted us out of there. Will return, but will somehow slow them down.Special Features:
- Excellent, As AlwaysCoomomeVIPDined on 9/16/2014We always have a great experience at Acme. We've enjoyed many meals here and have hosted a few friends who also enjoyed themselves. The food is great and priced appropriately. We love the patio. Acme is on our favorites list.Special Features:
- Awesome meal and atmosphereLaGrinDined on 9/13/2014My family had dinner at the ACME for the first time. Awesome experience, excellent food, and wonderful service. Highly recommend the ACME for everyone, whether its a family dinner or a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazing EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I took the girl I'm seeing to Acme for her birthday dinner, and it didn't disappoint. We started with watermelon sangria, which was the drink special for the night. Although it was OK, the sangria was my least favorite item that night. Next, we shared the fried green tomatoes with mozzarella, corn, and sun gold tomatoes, which were amazing. Our entrees were just as delightful; I had the catfish with collards and black-eyed peas (yum!), while she blazed through the pecan-crusted chicken atop mashed potatoes and butter beans. We would've had dessert, but we were completely stuffed. The ambiance is always nice for a date night, although someone on staff seemed to have butter fingers, clanging objects here and there. Best 'Boro eats!Special Features:
- Nailing itfood4thoughtDined on 9/1/2014Great choice of Southern inspired classics with a modernized twist. They always have some good fish dishes. I love the salmon, my husband loves the cat fish. They have a great selection of local beers and their butterscotch pudding is my favorite dessert. Shrimp and grits: nail it, fried oyster salad: nail it, steak frits:nail it. Great neighborhood gem. Don't hesitate to go!Special Features:
- Why alway so overdone?Noonie72Dined on 8/30/2014We always have a very positive feeling towards Acme, it was one of the first places we tried when we moved to the area. But the last several times we have been there the food has been very mediocre mainly because the kitchen just overwhelms dishes with sauces and ingredients. For example, I had the caprese starter with fresh tomatoes but they were doused in pesto sauce, just drowning and you couldn't appreciate the fresh mozzarella or tomatoes at all. The same with the stuffed pepper appetizer, and essentially all the full meals, doused in gravies and additional items that overwhelmed rather than refining the taste of the great quality bases, whether that be a meat, veggie or fish dish. I think we will stick to a hamburger next time.Special Features:
- INCREDIBLEkpmooreDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant just shot up to my list of best in Chapel Hill. The food here was nothing short of a work of art. The outdoor dining is more relaxing than anyone's backyard I've ever enjoyed, plus full-service and a water feature. The service was stellar. The waitress was attentive with excellent recommendations, and the whole staff was very attentive. Back to the food though, the balance and complexity of flavors in every dish we ordered was incredible. My shrimp-filled chile relleno was covered in a complex mole sauce that was unlike anything anywhere. They managed to class-up southern sausage and bacon on a glorious charcuterie plate. This restaurant is absolutely a destination, and will be our Chapel Hill special occasion go-to.Special Features:
- Great Local FoodlocalisbestDined on 8/25/2014My wife and I went for a significant anniversary. We were very pleased by everything from the cocktails and wine selection all the way through desert. I'm a big fan of eating locally, and they serve fresh NC seafood and many local vegetables and meats. Everything was well prepared and well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Idyllic dining experienceSunnyDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dining experience sitting outside on a beautiful evening. The waterfall and greenery surrounding the outside dining area made it very idyllic. Our group of four women was using the event to celebrate our long-time friendship as one of our members was moving away. We each had a delicious meal; mine was crab cakes over a shrimp jambalaya. It was suburb! Some of the best crab cakes I have ever had. The service was quick and efficient, but we never felt rushed. We had plenty of time to enjoy the meal and time together. All in all it was an outstanding dining experience!Special Features:
- rfgabDined on 8/23/2014ACME is the apex of the presentation of heirloom tomatoes! The red snapper was very good and the Blue Moon Pork was excellent. The key lime pie to top it off was most fine.Special Features:
- Lived Up to Their SloganJoAnneDined on 8/23/2014Thank goodness someone got a gift certificate to Acme!! They totally lived up to their slogan "Damn Good Food". EVERYTHING we had was unique and flavorful. The chefs really work their magic! And so did the bar with the watermelon sangria! We will definitely go back even though we live 40 minutes away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent food for our party of 6 with varied tastes. Service attentive but unobtrusive and well timed. Only problem was noise level, as conversation so important--this was a reunion after 30 years, so we wanted to hear every word.Special Features: