Acme Food & Beverage Co.
110 E Main St
Carrboro, NC 27510Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Acme Food & Beverage Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acmecarrboro.com/
- Phone: (919) 929-2263
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Kevin Callaghan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Acme offers personalized catered events from 40 to 400. The catering staff has extensive experience in taking care of all aspects of the event. All alcohol permits. Specializing in southern food and hospitality.
A word from Acme Food & Beverage Co.
The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Acme Food & Beverage Co. - Best Restaurants in Carrboro ›
Acme Food & Beverage Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (69)great for outdoor dining (68)great for brunch (57)romantic (31)good for groups (28)notable wine list (21)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- One of my favorite restaurants!elvisDined on 11/18/2014Delicious and creative food sourced from local farmers and fishers. My grilled yellowfin tuna with a grapefruit sauce was perfectly cooked and the flavors were beautifully complemented by the ginger mashed sweet potatoes and totsoi salad, Servers are knowledgeable and attentive, and the restaurant feels very comfortable and is filled with changing local art. The only problem is that conversation can be a little hard due to noise level, but i guess that's inevitable given Acme's excellence and popularity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tues night meal deal is greatonjaEatsVIPDined on 11/18/2014Tues nights are great at Acme! The good is always amazing and love the offerings for gluten free stuff too. The restaurant actually called ahead of time when i reserved with a GF status and reviewed what was available for my diet. He was awesome! THANK YOU Acme for being health conscious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Acme is back on an upswingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/15/2014We have been going to the Acme for about 20 years. There have been some great meals and some ok meals. Acme's new emphasis on buying local appears to be paying off. We went recently and had some excellent salad greens (from the farmers market, not that mix you can get at any grocery store) with a very special buttermilk tarragon dressing. Shrimp chile rellano was super tasty and my dinning companions enjoyed their flounder specials. I wish they had more fish choices, but this restaurant is priced well and leaves you very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timing/servicencfoodieDined on 11/12/2014Service was terribly slow. We had a big party but there was at least 30 minutes between each course and we ordered all the courses at the beginning of our meal. We spent 2.5-3 hours at the restaurant. The food was average but the timing made the overall experience negativeSpecial Features:
- Very Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014Just a little overpriced. It's good, everything is good, nothing is really off the charts amazing though and the prices are very high.Special Features:
- Great!FoodloverDined on 11/3/2014The food and service at acme was awesome! The group I was with including myself love different types of food so we were up for new things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Chapel Hill/CarrboroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014I've been to Acme many times and the food is incredible each time. I haven't tried a single item that hasn't been wonderful. The service is usually top notch, during our last visit it was pretty bad. Most of their servers are great but the last time we were ignored most of the meal, never were asked if we wanted a second drink or a refill of water, never got bread, took about 20 minutes from the time we finished eating to get our check, and so on. Not what you expect when you spend $60 on dinner. Regardless, it is by far the best food you will have in Chapel Hill or Carrboro.Special Features:
- Farm FreshGourmandVIPDined on 10/26/2014Park behind the restaurant which is a treat in this area, relax outdoors with the dramatic heaters and canopy, and enjoy a sumptuous dining experience. Service can be slow when crowded.Special Features:
- Great variety!FearringtonFriendsDined on 10/26/2014Everything from the special cornbread to the fried chicken, blackened catfish, and the salad was terrific. The seasonal selections are always interesting too.Special Features:
- Yum!mtngirlDined on 10/25/2014I love Acme for special occasions. I always leave very pleased and full of delicious food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DistinctiveArcherDined on 10/22/2014Great menu combining Southern and other influences, delicious food and great service. Excellent martinisSpecial Features:
- PerfectbradweissDined on 10/21/2014If you don't go to $12.95 Tuesdays at ACME you are missing out on a fantastic deal, on to of the always exceptional food. ACME is everything from a neighborhood joint to a romantic retreat. The best in Carrboro.Special Features:
- Hello strangersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I initially requested an outdoor table. However I was seated indoors. It was ok with me however I was very displeased with where they seated me. It was myself and my significant other and we were seated very closely to a group of people that were loud and very close which made the dinner the opposite of intimate. The restaurant had sections that had no patrons so it was frustrating to be eating with a group of strangers when we were a couple and had made the best effort to make reservations and request the outdoor seating. The meal was very delicious but for the prices you would hope for a better overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest ReviewDinerDined on 10/16/2014Food was superb, service was great, but noise level was awful. Almost always problematic is the noise but it was particularly bad this night by the windows. What can you do?Special Features:
- Great food an servicebuddhasdelightDined on 10/16/2014Tasty dishes (even though their small plates really are small). Good drinks, pleasant atmosphere, and attendant service. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady OnJerryLDined on 10/15/2014We have been to Acme many times over the years and enjoyed our latest visit. Though our server seemed a bit harried (the joint was jumping), we did not experience any unseemly waits for anything. The food has taken on a considerably more carnivorous direction and the dishes without meat, especially pork, were definitely in a minority position. Yet, my vegetarian dining partner enjoyed her meal - the hand pie and okra/brussell sprout combo. The oysters rockefeller starter tasted fresh enough, though the seasoning was quite underdone. My short rib was delicious. Drinks, wine and dessert were first-rate. I especially enjoyed the butterscotch pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and local delightstonysDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant sources locally as much as possible. Fresh fish from nearby farming operations as well as from the sea. A local chicken purveyor, and local green growers add to the experience of "farm to table." We heartily recommend this restaurant for those looking for well prepared food using the best of what's available locally.Special Features:
- Spotty and often disappointingcarrborodinerDined on 10/12/2014We have been frequent diners at Acme - a neighborhood restaurant which we have a great affection for. Over the last year, the food has become markedly unpredictable in quality - and our last visit might have been our last - ordering ribeye steak (medium rare) the inside was purple, virtually cold and uncooked, and the steak itself was cut into bite-sized pieces, more like a stew than a steak. When we asked to have (both) steaks recooked, they did so (graciously) but simply put the entire plate (including the fries) into the oven - the steak was moderately cooked, the fries were crispy potato chips (not a good thing.) The steak itself was questionable as well - this appeared to be anything but - lots of fat, little meat. Truly disappointing.
- I've usually been very happyDinnerDateDined on 10/12/2014This was my fourth time at your restaurant. I am sad to say it was my least favorite. Mainly due to your server. He was "phoneing it in" so to speak. To start I asked for tea and need decaf. Most places give you teas to look at. He said "well green tea is and chamomile" I know most green tea isn't decaf. So I asked him to check because it was becoming apparent that he wasn't going to just bring me tea options. Then he comes with already steeping chamomile tea and a cup no honey or even asked me. My date started to ask for a alteration on your Texas boarder. Which he had previously had the last time we dinned here. The waiter cut him off and said we don't do substitutions. He continued in this manner, you live and die by your staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting time was far too long.DukePA2000Dined on 10/11/2014The food was great. Our waiter was attentive. We however had to wait 90 minutes for our food to arrive. We arrived at 6:30 and ordered shortly thereafter. It took thirty minutes for our appetizers to arrive and a full ninety minutes for our entrees to arrive at our table.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOut2eatDined on 10/11/2014We had a great meal and yummy drinks! Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Loved it. Wonderful.Mom2manyDined on 10/10/2014Loved the food. Wonderful specials. Will definitely be back. Already told a friend they should goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014We took a group here and had absolutely horrible service. Our waitress was extremely inattentive and quite rude. The only time she interacted with us was to take our order. Thankfully, other servers came by to check on us. I have been here before and had some of the best service, so they are capable of it, but I would say this ranks on the top 3 worse service experiences I have ever had. The food was delicious, but if I hadn't had the great service once before, I would not return to this restaurant. I will try it one more time and see how it goes before deciding if I'll ever go back.Special Features:
- tables too close togetherScooterUNCDined on 10/5/2014I'm all for maximizing profits but I shouldn't be able to reach over and grab the food off the next table. Squeezed us into a tiny 2 top between 2 very obnoxious 4 tops who had commandeered the available space on the banquette with their laptops and coats allowing my partner little room to breathe. Server was clueless and left us hanging without the offer of a second drink until she overheard me asking my partner if he thought I'd ever get her attention. Wait time between apps and entree was 29 minutes... Abyssmal...
- Outstanding food and serviceGAtarheelVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had an excellent dinner, just as good as we remember our last meal to be. We were especially appreciative that on a crowded Sat night, the hostess honored our reservation which we had changed from 4 to 2 via open table earlier in the daybut was apparently not communicated to them. Their policy is not to put a party of two at a four top table. The restaurant was packed with people without reservations waiting. We had submitted our change in good faith and were grateful that they responded by honoring our request and seating us at the larger table since there were no other options available. We thought the heirloom tomato salad was superb- and had excellent crab cakes and salmon as our entres. Look forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good stuffSouthernGirlAdventuresVIPDined on 10/3/2014This favorite spot always serves up tasty plates — but tonight we wondered why our server assumed we would not want the freshly baked bread served to all the tables around us... or why it was assumed we would not be interested in dessert, coffee, another glass of wine… The food was good, though the salmon combo with cheese grits and black beans is an odd combo to me. The roasted brussel sprouts were delicious, as was the calamari salad. It's just too pricey an evening to rush and skimp — Perhaps we'll try again in November…Special Features:
- Great Place!momof2Dined on 10/1/2014Took my UNC student & other teens out for a birthday dinner. We had a 4th surprise guest that they accommodated easily. We found parking easily in side lot, then the storefront entrance to this neighborhood gem. Weather was perfect for outdoor dining, patio was well-appointed, cozy & had great ambiance. Service was attentive without being even remotely pushy. We all ordered very different entrees & all were thrilled with their food. Small menu with interesting seasonal specialties, and we all found something cool to try. I'd recommend.Special Features:
- So glad we ate hereEPODDined on 9/29/2014I had always heard about this place, but we live so far away that I never got around to eating here. Finally had a chance 2 nights ago and it was excellent. Food was outstanding and ambiance is upbeat with a nieghborhood feel. Will definitely eat here again if we're in the area.Special Features:
- drchewDined on 9/27/2014Creative menu selections with a southern tilt, executed deftly and delivered by professional staff. Delicious! Enjoyed the cozy outdoor patio on a warm late summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food as alwaysJwodineDined on 9/24/2014Great butternut squash hand pie! Delicious seasonal crab cakes with jambalaya! Even when the service is a little slow, the kitchen never disappoints!Special Features:
- ellenDined on 9/21/2014This was my first time at Acme. Took some friends from out of town. We all loved the foodSpecial Features:
- We loved it!dstubbsDined on 9/21/2014This weekend we tried Acme in Carrboro. Several people recommended it to us. We were not disappointed. The food was amazing and the service was top notch. We will definitely be coming back to this great farm-to-table restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014I was disappointed in ACME this visit. ACME is one of my favorite restaurants and one of my go to places for a nice evening out. The food choices were not up to the usual standard. I don't eat red meat and my husband is lactose intolerant. There were very few choices for us. Since, the chef refuses to do substitutions, he should consider not having cheese on every dish. I won't give up on them, but hope for better selections next visit.Special Features:
- Great brunch locationNCfoodieDined on 9/21/2014Sunday brunch with friends couldn't have been more pleasurable. Our server was very attentive and helpful, the Bloody Mary menu was fun and tasty (one tip to Acme-find or make some bacon-infused vodka!). They are a little inflexible hen asking for an addition to the Eggs Benedict but our server went to bat for us and convinced the kitchen to accommodate my wish (for a price).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cramped, bad service, bad atmospherWashingtonVIPDined on 9/21/2014We came for brunch. The donuts were good. Everything else -- the specials, the omlettes, and especially the slow inattentive service -- was just awful. This is one of those places that only exists because people in the Research Triangle will pay good money for garbage. Avoid.
- Awesome Brunch!!lunchproVIPDined on 9/21/2014We so enjoyed our Sunday brunch at Acme this weekend. We started with the 3 donut plate and a piece of the coffee cake. Both were fantastic. We all four thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the benedict hand pie special and ate almost every bite. A couple of others had the benedict deluxe entree and loved it as well. The grits are a don't-miss. Acme is one of my favorite restaurants anyways, and now it's my favorite brunch spot as well.Special Features:
- Family brunchdeniseDined on 9/21/2014Started with donuts.. A must do. Oyster salad, a few egg dishes an the outstanding French toast casserole. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Sunday BrunchBrunchinDined on 9/21/2014Food was excellent. My dad loved the tomato juice, said he could tell "it isnt V8." Homemade sausage was good. Overall a great brunch location in Carrboro. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- DjdtVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our food was very well prepared. Salmon and crab cakes. My only complaint was they really rushed us. We had just finished our appetizers and the entrees appeared. Felt like the wanted us out of there. Will return, but will somehow slow them down.Special Features:
- Excellent, As AlwaysCoomomeVIPDined on 9/16/2014We always have a great experience at Acme. We've enjoyed many meals here and have hosted a few friends who also enjoyed themselves. The food is great and priced appropriately. We love the patio. Acme is on our favorites list.Special Features: