Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
600 E. Market St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2102241234
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Chef Larry Eells
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Achiote River Café has a larger space capable of accommodating up to 140 people. This space also can be subdivided into thirds by wall units to match your space requirements. Dedicated wait staff are assigned to your event to ensure a high level of service. Additionally, two rooms available for parties of up to ten.
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available
A word from Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio
We've added some new spice to River Walk dining. The Achiote River Café. Featuring a very fresh menu of Latin food with Asian Influence, complemented by an extensive wine list, many from Argentina and Chile. Indoor or riverside dining available. Achiote River Café. An intriguing new direction in River Walk dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Achiote - Grand Hyatt San Antonio reviews from OpenTable diners
- Better restaurants in the area.WondererVIPDined on 5/18/2013Food was ok but the menu is limited. The wine list was also limited and they were out of all pinot noirs. This is a good place if you want a quiet place on the river that is not mass produced food and easy to get into.
- Mother's DayDeacon1953Dined on 5/12/2013I will choose someplace else next year. I appreciated the great service, but you really need to work on the selection on your Buffet. There was no lettuce for a salad yet you had plenty of salad dressing avaialble, only one type of soup, and the meat loaf I had was ice cold. I won't be back. I enjoyed the food I had at several banquets that I have attended at the hotel since it opened, but this experience was certainly not what one would expect at a Grand Hyatt Hotel.
- DisappointedEddieDined on 5/12/2013We celebrated Mothers Day with breakfast here and were disappointed. The food and fruit choices were very limited, The food was good but compared to other hotels this breakfast buffet was nothing to speak of.Special Features:
- J and LynMRiverVIPDined on 5/11/2013Food was good and well presented. Generous portions. You can sit inside or outside for a nice view of the Riverwalk. The hotel where the restaurant is located, is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was really good, ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/15/2013Service was really good, our waiter was knowledgeable about food and beverages. Our drinks were really good (signature marg, and peach marg mart). Food was just average, nothing to write home about. Asian influences just didn't pop such as in the guacamole and churrasco steak. best items we ate were the corn bread and the asparagus on churrasco plate(shrimp were bland but cooked perfect temp. There are so many restaurants on the river walk I would rather dine at unless food improves...
- Needs more vegetarian options,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Needs more vegetarian options, otherwise food and service were good. Loved sitting in the patio sectionSpecial Features:
- Food was amazing, a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Food was amazing, a great twist on southwest cuisine meets asian. The service was great, will be back again.Special Features:
- A must go toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013The food from apetizers to main dish to dessert was incredible. The Cuban rolls for an apetizer to the glazed salmon main dish to the lemon curd cheesecake were primo!Special Features:
- Staff was very nice, but depiteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Staff was very nice, but depite very few other people in the place, the noise level was a little loud for the sort of ambiance they were tryimg for. The food itself was ok, but not exceptional, and the New York strip was a little gristley. The main course came while we were still only half way into the appetizers. Not an umpeasant place but not good enough to justify a return at the price point.Special Features:
- wonderful visit to S.A.....EVERYTHIWaltDined on 2/24/2013wonderful visit to S.A.....EVERYTHING WAS EXCELLENTSpecial Features:
- Menu is great and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/24/2013Menu is great and the food was delicious. Considering how busy the restaurant was, the staff did a great job in seating us and getting us our orderSpecial Features:
- Marginal at BestBird1218VIPDined on 2/15/2013We were seated at Achiote and waited...and waited...occasionally staff would say that they were getting to us until, finally, we announced to a random server that we were hungry and hadn't received service. We didn't understand that Achiote was buffet only. The food was just ok; nothing special. The room had a cafeteria feeling about it...very much a convention stopover.
- great restaurant, it was superOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013great restaurant, it was super busy the day we went, we had to wait a little before getting someone to come by our table, but after that they were super attentive and appologetic for the wait. the service was great and the food phenomenal... it was a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- The missing waiterchurchkeysVIPDined on 2/14/2013Valentine night - we are dressed nice for convention. We look forward to returning after last weeks great experience. Seated promptly by the hostess. 20 mins we visit and review menu. Started looking around for a waiter - no waiter anywhere. Bartender passed by and got us drinks. We said we needed a waiter. 10 mins later, hotel staff walks by, greets us. We ask him why the wait? He says he is not a waiter. Walks on. We choose to start the buffet. There is not much but it tastes pretty good. Temperature is not hot on most of it. We finish, stack our plates. No waiter. We eat dessert. No waiter. We try to pay at the bar - they choose to let it go. We don't pay anything. It's a good thing...that's why the 2 star overall instead of 1
- Achiote did not honor reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Achiote did not honor reservations made through this site. We were told we would have to wait over an hour past our reservation time for a table. There were several empty tables and several parties being told the same thing we were. We had greatly enjoyed previous experiences at this establishment, but ended up going somewhere else in this case. Overall rating reflects this experience, other ratings reflect previous experiences.
- Excellent choices, flavors,churchkeysVIPDined on 2/9/2013Excellent choices, flavors, seasonings. The soup has quite a bit of cream if that's not your thing. The empanadas were tasty. Make a great entree.
- Very nice. Quite. good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/5/2013Very nice. Quite. good service. But the food was VERY saltySpecial Features:
- food was cold and my ladyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013food was cold and my lady had to eat alone...i was given another plate which was hot this time. Steak was prepared to early..maybe next timeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful meal-so nice toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2013Wonderful meal-so nice to eat something besides BBQ and cole slaw.Special Features:
- AchioteMRiverVIPDined on 1/26/2013Food was good. The server suggestions were great. Nice guy. We had dinner on the patio, which had a ni e scenic view of the River Walk. On the other hand, because the bar s located on that area, was too noisy.Special Features:
- Just a little North of O.K.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2013Food is ok. Presentation and excitement buil-up is greater than the taste. We tried several appetizers, main plates and desserts. I would consider going again, just to make sure my palate was not having an off night. I felt that by reading such an exciting menu, I would of wanted to also be enthralled into the flavor. The ambiance is ok, I thought it was going to be a more "suit jacket and cocktail dress" type of place for dinner, but it was a crowd of mostly jeans and shorts. There is so much I want to like about this place. Hopefully I will be back and the next time I will rant and rave about its food, I'm optimistic.Special Features:
- Restaurant was overpricedFranknMarDined on 1/23/2013Restaurant was overpriced for the quality of the food and service. Food was adequate but very salty. We had the Guacamole (their Asian style) but it was lacking in spice and did not have enough Wasabi for my taste. Avocados were fresh. My wife had the steak and shrimp plate. Steak was cooked very nicely and had a good flavor with very little seasonings on it. The shrimp, on the other hand, were loaded with a ton of salt. Ginger mashed potatoes did not appeal to my palate but others may enjoy them. I had the traditional Peruvian dish. The meat, veggies, fries, and rice were all really great, but covered in a very salty sauce. Service, as others have mentioned, was slow. We will not go back here.
- Well prepared food. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2013Well prepared food. Service was adequate but too casual for $40av. Check.Special Features:
- Consistently exquisite diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/2/2013Consistently exquisite dining when ordering off the menu as well as the buffet. Very attentive wait staff which makes for an overall pleasant experience.Special Features:
- The service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012The service was excellent and the food delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic dinner. The price was appropriate for the atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingHKinHTownVIPDined on 12/27/2012The last time we were here, was over a year ago, and the food and service then was excellent. That was the reason why we went there again when we visited San Antonio recently. Unfortunately, everything seems to have gone downhill for this restaurant. The food was just ok, the service was slow even though the place was only moderately filled. We were very disappointed with the food.Special Features:
- Southwestern twist on traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012The Christmas buffet was amazing. A great variety of traditional favorites with a southwestern flair.Special Features:
- I was not particularly inpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012I was not particularly inpressed with the restaurant specially for a Hyatt Grand.
- we enjoyed our dinner. theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012we enjoyed our dinner. the advertised price was buffet, tip, and tea $30. per person. the cost was very much more than $30.00 and did not include tip or tea.
- Not-So-Grand Hyatt diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2012The food served in their buffet was very tasty. However, every dessert seemed to be some sort of chocolate-mint invention. This is great if you love chocolate and mint together (I do not). The restaurant was not as intimate as my wife and I had hoped. We were celebrating our anniversary and expected a table for two. I should have done more research instead of being impressed with the location being inside the Grand Hyatt. We were seated at a small table with a long, booth-style bench on one side and a chair on the opposite side. It felt more like a diner than a restaurant. Overall, it is a nice place to dine, but not a "special event" type of place and definitely not as upscale as other less-expensive places on the Riverwalk.Special Features:
- We had tickets to the BalletOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012We had tickets to the Ballet next door. The Achoite is the hotel restaurant so you see the giant breakfast buffet and half of the tables that had jelly already on the table. The food was better than expected. We were able to have drinks at dinner and then walk up the stairs into the theater very very easily. So I would never choose to go to Achoite as a destination, however if I was at a conference at the hotel or Henry B Gonzales it would be fine. The service was poor but everyone was friendly.(water glasses always empty, dropping off food with no silverware, staff nonexistent)
- Phenomenal as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012I love this restaurant! I give it an outstanding overall recommendation because I am never disappointed! We had a 7 o'clock reservation but decided to wait a few extra minutes because I wanted a more private table than the one where we were originally going to be seated. I casually mentioned that it was our anniversary and didn't want to be seated between two other sets of diners. Our meal was fantastic, our waiter appropriately engaging and friendly (expert advice on recommendations) and then we were surprised by a nice glass of Champagne. I almost booked another restaurant, but just couldn't pass up another chance to dine at Achiote! Phenomenal as always.Special Features:
- Fusion Twist Knock-OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012We loved this fusion style restaurant. It is our new favorite restaurant on the Riverwalk. We especially enjoyed the appetizers and could have filled up on just those. The duck quesadilla, heirloom tomato salad, and the cuban spring rolls were amazing. The entrees were great and all tasted very good, but the rum pineapple dessert was the knock out punch of the night. Service was a little slow, but our waitress was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the ambiance and being next to the river was fun too. It is a bit pricey, but normal for the Riverwalk. We plan on coming back again for a special night out on the town. Try it if you can.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!bigbadbedDined on 12/18/2012This place was excellent! Service was outstanding, & the atmosphere was truly amazing. And to top it all off, the food was superb! OH!!! And the price was VERY reasonable.Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012The food and the restaurant itself was great. The Ba-hi Hot Pot was incredible, and the table-side guac (traditional style) was some of the best I have ever had. Overall an awesome dining experience. We were seated outside near the bar, and the restaurant didn't have any other diners at the time. By the end of our meal, however, more people has arrived, along with a rather boisterous group at the bar. Understanding that the restaurant cannot control such things, this was the only negative spot for the night, and if I had it to do over again, I would ask to move!Special Features:
- Food, atmosphere, locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Food, atmosphere, location were all great. Service....not so much. Had to literally waive the waitress down more than once.Special Features:
- The food was well done andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012The food was well done and presented. We were there for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately both nights were buffet only. Would have enjoyed freshly prepared food from the menu.Special Features:
- It was a nice ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012It was a nice Thanksgiving buffet. It would have been even better if the food was hot. Even warm would have been appreciated.Special Features:
- Loved the outdoor seating.SeasonsVIPDined on 10/27/2012Loved the outdoor seating. Food was very good. Ate here for breakfast and lunch. Loved the breakfast buffet. Dinner items were also quite tastySpecial Features:
- Apps were great, service slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2012Apps were great, service slow, weak margarita, very salty sauce on Peruvian beef stir fry.Special Features: