2838 SE Belmont St
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.accantopdx.com/
- Phone: 5032354900x
- Hours of Operation:
Apertivi Hour: Mon-Fri
Dinner: Sun - Thurs 5:30pm-9:30pm
Fri + Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm
Brunch: Sat + Sun 10am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Accanto
Accanto is a lively cafe, enoteca and neighborhood gathering spot located in Southeast Portland. Offering several antipasti, small plates, housemade pastas and large plates all meant for sharing, Accanto’s menu will change with the seasons. Accanto's wine list draws from Europe, as well as the Pacific Northwest; guests can also choose from Genoa's extensive bottle selection. The beverage list features cocktails made with spirits from local distillers, as well as Italian Grappas and digestivos. Since we live in the greatest beer city in the world, local microbrews will always be on tap. After many years in the making, this quiet neighborhood corner finally comes to life. We hope that you can join us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Accanto reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (30)great for brunch (28)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (15)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- GREAT Italian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Since I am Italian, I don't frequent Italian restaurants very often. I think that my cooking is as good as I can get in any restaurant. However, I enjoyed Accanto VERY much. I was impressed that, although the lunch menu looked small, I had a hard time deciding what to order because every menu item looked delicious. I enjoyed my pasta tremendously. I WILL be back.Special Features:
- A for real restaurant experienceColornumber9Dined on 10/9/2014My wife and I came here to celebrate. We were initially seated at a table but both of us weren't feeling that and asked to be reseated. We got the chef's table, and I'm so thankful for this. Watching anyone talented at their work is both an honor and a privilege - Shawn (Sean?), the chef, was truly a classy guy and I felt like we got a very unique experience here. The food was fantastic, from start to finish. Our server, Rob, was also great and we enjoyed getting to know him a little bit as well. This is a great restaurant for people who appreciate the human aspect of dining; there's so much work involved in producing quality food, and that is not often recognized. Thank you guys for a great time! We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & InvitingPDX123Dined on 9/29/2014Upon walking into Accanto, the bartender looked up and greeted us - so welcoming. Asked if we had a reservation, pointed to our waiting table and said he would be right over. The food was excellent - we tried an appetizer, a salad, a pasta and an entrée all of which were well prepared and very flavorful. Great use of fresh ingredients. 4 kinds of beets in the beet salad and when I said I didn't care for goat cheese, shaved jack was substituted. Just an incredibly relaxed, warm wonderful atmosphere. While a great neighborhood hangout, also great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accanto rocks!GreatFoodVagabondsDined on 9/29/2014The first clue that Accanto would be amazing was the fact our friends from Portland recommended this as their first choice for a very special occasion. Great atmosphere, great food, and casual, friendly service........not to mention the background music included Wilson Pickett!Special Features:
- FantasticToscanoVIPDined on 9/25/2014Accanto has always been great, and now that Sean Temple is in the kitchen it's even greater. We love the small plate starters, the salads, the entrees, the wine and drink choices...well, everything really. Sean has brought some of his signature dishes over from his stint at Paulee, and in that way it is reminiscent of Paulee at less than half the price. I would like to keep this place a bit of a secret so we could always get in, but it's too good to keep to ourselves. Our best place to sit: the chef's counter. Just go.Special Features:
- accanto11goose19VIPDined on 9/25/2014Accanto has a very nice selection of specialty cocktails along with a good wine list. Our group chose to share a number of dishes, albacore tune, risotto, lasagna with lamb bolognese and spaghetti with lobster and calacrian anchovies along with a heirloom tomato salad, and grilled lamb ribs. each item was very well prepared and servings were of reasonable quantity. For dessert the tiramisu was average.Special Features:
- FrenchieDined on 9/25/2014I love Accanto for its food, the great service, and the ambiance. You couldn't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual business dinnerMissPDined on 9/22/2014I was hosting some work colleagues-looking for good quality eats without the huge bill. Accanto exceeded expectations. Creative preparations, perfect portions, delicious. Monday night wine special helped deliver a business friendly expense report . Multiple thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in PDXNelsonDined on 9/21/2014We're from Seattle and go to Portland several times a year and found Accanto one night by accident when the another wildly popular restaurant we went to was full for several hours. What a happy find! Now, we eat there every time we are in Portland...You really cant miss...I don't know what was better, the salmon tartar w/ Mama Lil's peppers, the New Old Fashioned cocktail, the beet salad or the red grape sorbetto!!! YAY Accanto!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The heirloom tomato salad was delicious, refreshing and light. The tuna entree was lovely as well. Had a couple different red wines and they were great and the staff was spot on with descriptions and suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerBobcatDined on 9/16/2014Food was excellent Service very knowledgeable--one of the best meals I have had in the Belmont Hawthorne area everSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We've been to Accanto numerous times. We've had excellent service and great food every time we've been there. They have always been very willing and flexible to accommodate our group of 6-10 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative specials & delicious menuDynaMoDined on 9/9/2014We had a lovely dinner at Accanto -the specials for the day were very creative and very good. We split the insalata special as a primi (Oregon Albacore salad with grappa crème fraîche dressing) and i had the entree special, Lambchetta (lamb loin wrapped in housemade lamb sausage). Very yummy. The service was excellent and the wine list was varied and affordable. We sat at a lovely 2-top near the front window. It was next to the bar, so the noise level was higher than desired, but fairly easy to tune out. I noticed that some of the larger tables were high, with bar height chairs, but our table was of a standard height and very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best gem- vibrant, classy and funelizDined on 8/30/2014You can't go wrong with anything you choose to eat. The best seat is the bar overlooking chefs! The Italian donuts are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We thought the food here was fantastic, when it finally arrived. It wasn't that busy in the restaurant that night, but I still think that our server might have forgotten about us. I understand it's a small kitchen, and we weren't really in a rush, but we probably would have ordered extra appetizers if we knew it was going to be such a long wait for our dinner. Otherwise, great food and beverages.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian GourmetMariaDined on 8/29/2014All dinner courses we ordered were well prepared, looked lovely and tasted wonderful! Our bottle of wine was a great Italian Nebbiolo. Service was attentive. Noise level is a bit high. We plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!midwestinpdxDined on 8/22/2014Drove by this place so many times and never really noticed it until I was told about it. Great food and amazing service, and quite decent prices. Perfect portion size for being not full but not hungry (as it should be). Server actually looked at me in the eye when she talked with me and all the servers treated me like a customer vs. other restaurants in portland having laid back attitude like I am a burden. It felt like a restaurant from the east coast. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- Sidewalk Dining TreatbwalleDined on 8/21/2014We were pleasantly surprised by this cafe. The antipasti were good (but avoid the deviled eggs!) an the veal rib eye was outstanding. Afogado was a nice finish to a fine evening of dining. The service was outstanding - our waiter was very informative and had many good suggestions - and the outdoor dining was quieter than most noisy restaurants so we could actually talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesandreaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We ate at Accanto on Friday and it was the first time in a while where we went to a restaurant and were happy with everything we had! My drink was fabulous too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let DownanonVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been to Accanto many times for both dinner & brunch & I have always enjoyed it. However, my last experience was disappointing. The meal started well enough with a well made cocktail for me. My companion liked the beet salad. I enjoyed the Frito Misto. Our reservations were on the early side. Service was attentive at first. As the place filled that changed. The place was understaffed. My dining partner enjoyed her main of risotto. However, my main was another story. I don't mind paying for a good cut of veal but this was fatty and cooked far more than ordered. The burnt broccolini was bitter. Then, no waiter contact for 25 mins. & no way for meaningful feedback. Waiter tried to comp ice cream which I did not want. Bill took too long.
- BrunchDeniseVIPDined on 8/9/2014The eggs benedict was delicious. Service was also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dessertsagingDined on 8/6/2014We ate dinner outside. The spinach lasagne was a little bland. The tiramasu (I don't know how to spell this) was outstanding . I would return and recommend this restaurant to friends and family. For those bringing a dog, the waiter brought a bowl of water for the critter.Special Features:
- only one complaint--noiseDeb49RoyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Only one complaint--the restaurant is too noisy.. It is beyond me why restaurants that are already noisy insist on adding to the noise by playing music. It is hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table feast.DeborahDined on 8/1/2014My favorite time at Accanto is summer when the menu is replete with great produce. We had a wonderful dinner there, each course fresh and delicious. The heirloom tomatoes over creamy whipped chèvre was a highlight. The soups are always delicious and light. Accanto is for sure one of our favorite dining venues!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, waitress, bad hostessWineAndDineDined on 8/1/2014I've had a great experience here for brunch. However for dinner for some reason the hostess decided to seat us in the back corner by the kitchen door. (We're we bad!?). The restaurant wasn't full. We were hoping for a nice dinner at a place we already knew was great from brunch. Instead we paid a lot for a sub par experience. Note to any future dinner. Don't accept the back table!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magic tricknobodyspecialDined on 7/28/2014It's amazing what they do with such a small kitchen -- like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. The key, I think, is that the staff all get along and work together toward the common goal of knocking your socks off. I've walked barefoot out of Accanto many times, and I look forward to doing it again, the sooner the better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedbrownieDined on 7/24/2014I've been wanting to go to Accanto for years and finally made it with my husband while the kids were away. Not one thing we ordered was delicious. The appetizers were tepid, my orchiette was undercooked and my husband's lobster pasta dish had very little flavor and was luke warm. My cocktail was fine but not inspired. The chefs seemed bored and uninspired as well. We had just come from the Woodsman Tavern where it was bustling and everything we had was superb. I don't understand why Accanto doesn't try harder. I wanted to love it and it fell far short of my expectations.
- Great happy hour or anytime.oregonclematisDined on 7/20/2014I've eaten here many times, and the food is always inventive, and the bar service is splendid. The July 20th brunch special cocktail (prosecco, campari and grapefruit juice) was perfect. The deviled eggs are to die for, and often offered on the bar menu as well as for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster comfort foodNorthenderDined on 7/19/2014Our experience at Accento was pleasing . The Haberaro infused Vodka Bloody Mary hit the spot along with the deviled eggs . Then came the Crab Benadict and the Oyster Hangtown with blood sausage ! MmmmmmmGooooood We will be there again for sure ... Thank you Accento and staff for a stand out meal worthy of a revisit !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accanto sings no songOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014the food was mediocre and they don't know what a poached egg is . avoid the ravolololo! They need singing lessonsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMChristieWiDined on 7/7/2014I love Accanto and was excited to introduce my husband to it for the first time. We went on a Monday for the spaghetti and meatballs (seriously, SO good), but unfortunately they were sold out by our 7:30 dining time. Get there early for them… it is so worth it! And the Monday night $15 bottle of wine deal to go along with it it hard to pass up! We ended up having the risotto and gnocchi on this occasion, and both were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what I was looking for!JosephDined on 7/6/2014I was visiting Portland over the weekend when we stumbled upon this awesome restaurant for brunch. Las Vegas, where I am from, doesn't have too many unique, hole in the wall restaurants that offer a clean, casual, contemporary dining experience at an affordable price. Accanto's menu featured the ecclectic and creative palate that reflected Portland's personality. I ordered the Duck Hash for brunch. Never had I eaten warm beets with a duck confit which tasted more like pulled pork. It was awesome and I will try to recreate it at home. I will definitely take my friends and family back here when I visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening outBirthdayBlissVIPDined on 7/5/2014The food was good; starters were delicious. Service was very good. I'm gluten free & there were many great options. Was disappointed that I ordered my steak medium rare & it was closer to medium well. Did not want to wait for a re-do so I just ate the center & left the rest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- On our way to a concertRealityBitesDined on 6/30/2014We stopped for an early dinner and all of our meals were quite good as well as appetizers. From a service perspective, it was a bit off putting when they wouldn't seat us when we arrived only minutes before formally opening. We were served promptly so it didn't matter but to get settled, review the menu would not have been an imposition it would seem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt in your mouth goodqueenofmydomainDined on 6/29/2014Accanto was perfect for celebrating an anniversary! We tried the 3 for $13 appetizers and were not disappointed with the deviled eggs with a spicy kick and we loved the pickled vegetables. Our favorite has to be the entrees we both ordered. We got the bison tenderloin and the spinach lasagna but instead of the spinach noodle they had a polenta square on top. That was melt in your mouth delicious! I cannot even describe how the polenta melted with the cheese and fall off the bone lamb inside with the broth surrounding it. It was magic! But when I tried to describe it to a friend, the polenta square weirded him out! So just trust me, it was divine! As for the bison, they need to serve more of it in every restaurant! Equally great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mariqailDined on 6/29/2014Accanto was delicious. Just flat out. I just had the leftovers for breakfast and even they were delicious. Just very good food done very well. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal. Too noisy.KayJayDined on 6/28/2014This has been a favorite neighborhood place for us for quite some time. We had a great dinner. The appetizers and salads were memorable, especially the beet salad. The mussels with pasta were superb and the orecchiette with fennel sausage and rabe was lovely, too. However . . . .we were a party of three and we had an extremely difficult time carrying on a conversation even when leaning in across the table. The physical structure of the restaurant has not changed since our last visit, but the general noise level in the was uncomfortably loud. It was not that it felt like the guests at the neighboring tables seemed to be shouting or sitting at our own, but rather that the overall roar in the restaurant was very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Left wanting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014We have been here several times and have always had good food and good service. We had a reservation, arrived early and were going to sit at the bar and have a drink, it was our anniversary. They seated us right away. we ordered the salmon and the lamb spinach lasagna. It took over an hour to get our dinner, the waiter did offer me a half a glass of wine, but I declined as we were hungry. The salmon was mushy, and fishy tasting, the lasagna noodles were over cooked and mushy. We were terribly disappointed.
- The following 547 reviews are from the Accanto reviews archive.
- Second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Pork chop came a little under done. Everything else was very good. Menu was a little confusing, we felt rushed to order meal, then, when it was time for dessert we had to wait awhile to order. All other service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good mealDavidDined on 6/21/2014I brought a friend from out of town to dinner. My wife and I enjoy Accanto, and I knew it would be a good place to bring my friend. The food was great, as usual. It was a nice experience for a meal away from downtown, in a nice atmosphere on a beautiful Saturday evening. I got to show my friend a part of Portland that he had not seen before and enjoy a good, reasonably priced meal at the same time. He enjoyed the lasagna and I had the fettucine. Wonderful!Special Features: