Academy Street Bistro
200 South Academy Street
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Academy Street Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.academystreetbistro.com/
- Phone: (919)3770509x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Fitzgerald
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Academy Street Bistro
Academy Street Bistro is a farm to table casual dining restaurant serving a new American menu with a French flare. Come try our fresh fish, all natural meats, fresh and local produce. Academy Street Bistro only uses the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. We are committed to local farmers produce whenever possible. I go to the downtown farmers market in downtown Cary twice a week.Continued
Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.
Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Academy Street Bistro - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Academy Street Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)great for outdoor dining (49)fit for foodies (40)special occasion (28)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (14)good for groups (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lunch was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/20143 ladies for lunch, all had the BLT with homemade fries it was all very good. The price was reasonable as well. I ticked off the noise level as we were inside there were maybe 4 other tables and everyones voices bounced off the walls, there was nothing to absorb it. And yes I am very sensitive to noise. I will love to eat outside next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!SimplySouthernDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Academy Street Bistro twice - once for lunch with an old friend and recently for dinner with my husband. It exceeded my expectations both times. The servers were very knowledgeable about the food and wine options. The food, presentation and portions were fabulous and well prepared. We didn't leave a single bite and had just enough room to share a wonderful dessert. The atmosphere is perfect for conversation and the charming ambience is very fitting for a small town, downtown restaurant. My husband and I cook a lot and don't often find a restaurant whose food we prefer over our own. But, we loved this and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Twice in one weekDaveDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed both lunch and dinner. Nice variety in the menu and well prepared. We'll go back - a new favorite!Special Features:
- Excellent food, but pricey.DanSDined on 9/6/2014The Scottish salmon was outstanding! The strawberry and feta salad from the specials list was very good. But be sure to ask the price before ordering specials. This is the first time I ever paid $10 for a non-entrée salad! Unfortunately, the first room we were seated in was extremely noisy and we asked to be moved which they readily accommodated. The noise problem was due to lou patrons in a very acoustically live room. One nice surprise was thecavailabilit of a draught beer from the Cary Fortnight brewery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NC ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014My wife were in Cary (from Ohio) for the weekend for a wedding, and the groom suggested that we eat at the Academy Street Bistro. Great recommendation. The food was excellent, service excellent and the patrons were very friendly. We really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- needs front of house helpradtechmikeDined on 9/5/2014This was the 4th time my wife and I have had dinner at the bistro and after a 6 month break, we have finally found a way to enjoy the really great food without having to suffer the terrible way the dinning room is run. Ask for Terry to be your server. Our past experience has show us that the other servers and staff tend to ignore the dinners until they are called to the tables after sitting and waiting for 15 minutes to be acknowledged on a slow Thursday night. Terry was attentive, knowledgeable and certainly has experience and a flair for this type of work. Kudos to Terry and hope that the management takes this review to heart.Special Features:
- Nice Friday dinnerBilly1953Dined on 8/29/2014Beef filet was outstanding, service a little too relaxed, need to find a happy medium between rushed and ignored. Never asked if we wanted another glass of vino, but nice overall. Food made up for service lapse. Will go back again, hopefully a one time thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Outstanding!APL29Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent service, diverse menu, beautifully prepared, presented and tasting food. Excellent value as well. I could not recommend more highly and I eat all over North America. GO to this place!Special Features:
- A litle gem in CaryGuppyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Wirth trying. This little neighborhood gem has great unique food with a bit of French bistro flair. Knowledgeable staff serving with a smile. Try it outSpecial Features:
- Great food and experiencefunwithfoodieDined on 8/17/2014Academy Street Bistro provides a great atmosphere, great service, and exceptional food. The cucumber dill soup was delicious and our food was fresh and seasoned well. When my omelette came out with mushrooms that I didn't order, the staff was very quick to remedy it and make a new one. We enjoyed our experience and recommend them for brunch and more!Special Features:
- A Surprisingly Mixed ExperienceEjkoDined on 8/16/2014This was our fourth time dining at Academy Street Bistro. The prior three times were very enjoyable. This most recent visit was a letdown from a service standpoint. We arrived at 6:15 for a 6:30 reservation, and were not seated until 6:40. Another group of 5 came in without a reservation and were immediately seated in the bar area, which was not offered to us. It then took a while for our waiter to come to us, and a long time for our drinks to arrive. After that, things went well. In retrospect, it seemed that no one was in charge that evening, perhaps explaining our experience. On the plus side, the food was very, very good, as it has been on previous visits. With 3 out of 4 visits positive, we'll give them another try.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've enjoyed dinner several times here. The chef does a great job and has some creative specials, but I usually end up with their salmon, which is one of my favorites (not just here). Last time, the soup special was a chilled cucumber and dill soup that was incredible.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerLoveLifeDined on 8/9/2014We went to dinner for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. We had appetizers, dinner and dessert-everything was outstanding. The service was friendly and several staff members were attentive. This restaurant is a town gem and can compete with any of the other foodie spots in Raleigh or Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small uninspired menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Went there for the first time with friends. Menu was very limited and the service was slower than I would have expected. My salmon was done well.
- Absolutely awesomehavnfunDined on 8/1/2014Great find. We can't believe this exist in cary. Just fantastic food, service and dessert. We plan on making this a weekly spot. Perfect food, wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in downtown CarycaryfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Great restaurant situated in a perfect section of downtown Cary...it's encouraging to see new "life" being brought back to downtown, \ and Academy Street Bistro is a perfect addition. The food was very good but somewhat pricey for the quality - and for this area. Ambiance was excellent and comfortable. The owners visited our table and it was obvious that their commitment to customer service is top priority.Special Features:
- DdddDined on 7/29/2014Very enjoyable lunch with friends. Allowed us time to talk and there was no pressure to hurry up and eat. Definitely will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not greatguestDined on 7/18/2014food was good. We had 3 appetizers (no main dishes). Oysters "on the half shell" were breaded and fried. Good, but not what I was expecting. Risotto was very tasty. Brussel sprouts were - interesting and different, but I don't think I'd order it again. I would go back to this restaurant again. Good location and atmosphere if you want a nice meal when you are going to a function in downtown Cary.Special Features:
- Simply awesome!ChrisDined on 7/16/2014Great tasting food! Also, a great place to have a working lunch.Special Features:
- Very Good Food, But Kitchen's SlowBillisdueDined on 7/12/2014This was our third visit and it was just "OK". The server was a little slow getting to our table, but very good once we got started. The food was very good but it took much too long to get our soups (Gazpacho) & salads. There is a distinct difference between hand-crafted excellence and slow. The entrees were timed a little better, in relation to the soups/salads, but the duration of the meal was simply too long. The wait was not helped by the presence of a group of 12 or so gals celebrating a birthday dinner. They were certainly well mannered, but with the high ceilings and continual chatter the atmosphere was very noisy. I'm understand the point of a 'high energy' dining room but the service timing has to match and this did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Academy St BistrogastrofoodieDined on 7/11/2014Quiet, place; good beer and wine selection; food was excellent; only concern was we were seated directly beneath an outdoor speaker for the music. We should have asked that it be turned down.Special Features:
- Loyal CustomersharonDined on 7/1/2014The food at Academy Street Bistro is great. With an improvement in service it would be our number one "go to" restaurant.Special Features:
- MenuPGEGDined on 7/1/2014Chef's lunch specials were creative and delicious!Special Features:
- FINALLY!CaryFoodieDined on 6/28/2014This is a lovely date night or special occasion spot right in downtown Cary -- finally! The service and food were both outstanding. Our BBQ shrimp over polenta and avocado was divine. I accidentally knocked over my wine (hand gestures!) and it was magically replaced without my requesting another.Special Features:
- raleigheatsDined on 6/28/2014Academy Street Bistro was just OK. All of the entrees sounded delicious, but when I ordered the special it came out with plain rice instead of the garlic mashed potatoes that the server described. The portions were quite small given the hefty price tag. The meal was good, but not worth the price. The cocktails sounded interesting, but at $12 each I decided to pass. The ambiance was nice, food adequate, but a little too pricey to be completely enjoyable.
- Enjoyable evening!wineandineVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our first visit to this restaurant was such that we know we will return. Outstanding features: everybody seemed to be having a good time, the conversation level was lively. The welcome was friendly. The service was friendly, accurate and accommodating. We particularly enjoyed the shrimp and crab cocktail and the peach melba dessert. Look forward to exploring the menu further.Special Features:
- ReviewMartini1Dined on 6/24/2014Nice place in Cary, fun martini specials. The peach puree martini was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFinickyDined on 6/24/2014Great food, fantastic service and quiet enough to not have to shout at your dining companion! The best part - reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with styleDurhamFoodieDined on 6/21/2014This spot gives you a great rotating menu, a beautiful wrap-around patio and a touch of class. We had a great seafood chowder, strawberry & Camembert salad and finished with a great flour less chocolate cake. Wine list is good, dessert wine list and coffee selection is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Unfortunately, slow service and VERY small portions. Not worth the large tab.
- Great Dining Experienceluv2dineDined on 6/20/2014Had a great experience Friday night.....and our waiter, Terry, was amazing.Special Features:
- food good, service slowkirluvrDined on 6/19/2014Four of us went to Academy Street Bistro for dinner. It was a Thursday night and the restaurant wasn't crowded. There was a loud, large group at one table, and several other small tables were filled. We were taken to our seats, when we asked for a table rather than a booth, they got us one right away. The staff is friendly and accommodating, but the service is definitely slow. The food was worth the trip and I would eat there again. However, the slow service is an issue and would be a problem if it keeps happening. There are too many other good restaurants with better service.Special Features:
- TwinkleBDined on 6/15/2014We have eaten at the Bistro several times and have always had delicious and plentiful food. Had a reservation for Fathers Day, were greeted by a delightful young man and were seated immediately. Service on this day not so great. Were seated for several minutes (maybe 10) before we were greeted and served water. After giving our drink order we waited another 10 minutes before our drinks (ice tea) were served. Food was served more timely and was delicious. Had to flag down server for refill and take out box. Service is usually much better at the Bistro - maybe the holiday left them a bit unprepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2014We had a lovely dinner at Academy Bistro and this restaurant fills a niche in the Cary area. Its reasonably priced and the setting made the dinner quite enjoyable. My entrée was Monkfish and given all the NC fish choices, this was not the best choice; much too fishy although the presentation was outstanding. My dining companion had the chicken dish which was outstanding. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great Cary Restaurant!sharonDined on 6/4/2014So glad Academy Bistro calls Cary home! Another great meal.....Special Features:
- CbNBbDined on 6/3/2014we made a reservation through open table for 6:45 on a weeknight. spring restaurant week. we walked past a boisterous table w/a large group indoors. We were seated outside & left with the wrong menu. we ordered wine, waited, asked for bread, waited, placed order (price fixed menu) , waited, 2nd glass of wine, got salads and it was a long time. We were seated close to a table of 4 females who were having champagne. they were loud & broke a glass on the patio. At 8:30 we'd had no dinner. we told our waitress and she was understandably flummoxed. the kitchen had let her down. the large group did not have a reservation. we told her we would pay for what we had consumed. she said ok then, "I am not going to charge you." we did pay
- TiggerDined on 6/3/2014Fit for Foodies does not begin to size up the menu at this restaurant. I was shocked to find itas Iam not from the immediate area. If the restauarnt week menu is any indication of what the rest of the menu is like, best of luck keeping this chef in a small town. The Salmon cake was nothig short of pure salmon - and to learn they he used Scottish is unreal knowing completely well that its top quality and top price. The presentation and taste of the goat cheese and roasted beets salad were equally amazing. I was surprised to find the yellow beets on the plate as they are rarely offered due to their costly nature. The goat chese was super smooth. The waitress mentioned it was a Champagne Vinagrette - so perfect and non intrusiveSpecial Features:
- Consistently goodCFitzDined on 5/31/2014Three of us women enjoyed an outside dining experience on a Saturday night. House wine was offered at $5 a glass (what's not to like?) This was my second time there. Scallops are TERRIFIC! Good food, good service, great atmosphere ... I'll be back again!Special Features:
- DisappointingDowntownerVIPDined on 5/30/2014We had great expectations but were let down. Inordinate waits for everything with a half full restaurant. How do you run out of wineglasses? The bread was day old at best. In general, the individual components of dishes were OK but the flavor combinations were not the best. Salmon ordered medium was medium rare. On the plus side, some of the best clam chowder we have had in the area.
- Consistently good food and service.DAWilkinsVIPDined on 5/28/2014ASB is a charming, pleasant dining experience. Food is consistently good as is service. Service is particularly superb when Phillip is your waiter. He makes the restaurant an extra special place. Five lady friends dined on this particular evening and everyone was very pleased with their food and the ambiance. The chef sent a special treat to our table at the end of our meal which was very much appreciated by all. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Academy Street Bistro reviews archive.