Academy Street Bistro
200 South Academy Street
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Academy Street Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.academystreetbistro.com/
- Phone: (919)3770509x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Fitzgerald
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Academy Street Bistro
Academy Street Bistro is a farm to table casual dining restaurant serving a new American menu with a French flare. Come try our fresh fish, all natural meats, fresh and local produce. Academy Street Bistro only uses the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. We are committed to local farmers produce whenever possible. I go to the downtown farmers market in downtown Cary twice a week.Continued
Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.
Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Academy Street Bistro - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Academy Street Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)great for outdoor dining (37)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (24)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (10)romantic (9)good for groups (7)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great dinnerSaminCaryVIPDined on 10/10/2014Marybeth took great care of us! A little slow at the bar, to start, but the the "academy steer redemption" made an excellent recovery. Highly, highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- End of week dinner out with husbandEPODDined on 10/10/2014Nice ambiance with very good food and service. If I lived in this neighborhood, I would come here more often. Service was also very good. I'd recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- Business dinnerPatSDined on 10/8/2014My customers really enjoyed the food. A very nice evening for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch on the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014My husband had a recent lunch at the bistro-his first visit. Delicious crab cake sandwich and yummy beet and goat cheese salad. He loved the crispy french fries which accompanied his sandwich! Attentive service.Special Features:
- Excellent food and winemarmelDined on 9/30/2014Went to the bistro for a birthday dinner and as always the food was fresh and delicious. Loved the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKsrscDined on 9/26/2014Went for lunch on a work day and it was quiet. Food was OK/Good but the service was nothing special. Didn't seem to care too much. I may have gone there with too high expectations based on the reviews. I may go again but with more realistic expectations.
- Delicious!jnwallDined on 9/20/2014We were served well, dining outside on a beautiful fall evening. Delicious food! Great service. A must if you are in Cary/Special Features:
- Never disappointsJulieMJonesDined on 9/20/2014Academy street bistro is always great. It's that place you want to take close friends from out of town to impress them with a taste of Cary.Special Features:
- Lunch was great!kildcaridDined on 9/17/20143 ladies for lunch, all had the BLT with homemade fries it was all very good. The price was reasonable as well. I ticked off the noise level as we were inside there were maybe 4 other tables and everyones voices bounced off the walls, there was nothing to absorb it. And yes I am very sensitive to noise. I will love to eat outside next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!SimplySouthernDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Academy Street Bistro twice - once for lunch with an old friend and recently for dinner with my husband. It exceeded my expectations both times. The servers were very knowledgeable about the food and wine options. The food, presentation and portions were fabulous and well prepared. We didn't leave a single bite and had just enough room to share a wonderful dessert. The atmosphere is perfect for conversation and the charming ambience is very fitting for a small town, downtown restaurant. My husband and I cook a lot and don't often find a restaurant whose food we prefer over our own. But, we loved this and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Twice in one weekDaveDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed both lunch and dinner. Nice variety in the menu and well prepared. We'll go back - a new favorite!Special Features:
- Excellent food, but pricey.DanSDined on 9/6/2014The Scottish salmon was outstanding! The strawberry and feta salad from the specials list was very good. But be sure to ask the price before ordering specials. This is the first time I ever paid $10 for a non-entrée salad! Unfortunately, the first room we were seated in was extremely noisy and we asked to be moved which they readily accommodated. The noise problem was due to lou patrons in a very acoustically live room. One nice surprise was thecavailabilit of a draught beer from the Cary Fortnight brewery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NC ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014My wife were in Cary (from Ohio) for the weekend for a wedding, and the groom suggested that we eat at the Academy Street Bistro. Great recommendation. The food was excellent, service excellent and the patrons were very friendly. We really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- needs front of house helpradtechmikeDined on 9/5/2014This was the 4th time my wife and I have had dinner at the bistro and after a 6 month break, we have finally found a way to enjoy the really great food without having to suffer the terrible way the dinning room is run. Ask for Terry to be your server. Our past experience has show us that the other servers and staff tend to ignore the dinners until they are called to the tables after sitting and waiting for 15 minutes to be acknowledged on a slow Thursday night. Terry was attentive, knowledgeable and certainly has experience and a flair for this type of work. Kudos to Terry and hope that the management takes this review to heart.Special Features:
- Nice Friday dinnerBilly1953Dined on 8/29/2014Beef filet was outstanding, service a little too relaxed, need to find a happy medium between rushed and ignored. Never asked if we wanted another glass of vino, but nice overall. Food made up for service lapse. Will go back again, hopefully a one time thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Outstanding!APL29VIPDined on 8/27/2014Excellent service, diverse menu, beautifully prepared, presented and tasting food. Excellent value as well. I could not recommend more highly and I eat all over North America. GO to this place!Special Features:
- A litle gem in CaryGuppyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Wirth trying. This little neighborhood gem has great unique food with a bit of French bistro flair. Knowledgeable staff serving with a smile. Try it outSpecial Features:
- Great food and experiencefunwithfoodieDined on 8/17/2014Academy Street Bistro provides a great atmosphere, great service, and exceptional food. The cucumber dill soup was delicious and our food was fresh and seasoned well. When my omelette came out with mushrooms that I didn't order, the staff was very quick to remedy it and make a new one. We enjoyed our experience and recommend them for brunch and more!Special Features:
- A Surprisingly Mixed ExperienceEjkoDined on 8/16/2014This was our fourth time dining at Academy Street Bistro. The prior three times were very enjoyable. This most recent visit was a letdown from a service standpoint. We arrived at 6:15 for a 6:30 reservation, and were not seated until 6:40. Another group of 5 came in without a reservation and were immediately seated in the bar area, which was not offered to us. It then took a while for our waiter to come to us, and a long time for our drinks to arrive. After that, things went well. In retrospect, it seemed that no one was in charge that evening, perhaps explaining our experience. On the plus side, the food was very, very good, as it has been on previous visits. With 3 out of 4 visits positive, we'll give them another try.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've enjoyed dinner several times here. The chef does a great job and has some creative specials, but I usually end up with their salmon, which is one of my favorites (not just here). Last time, the soup special was a chilled cucumber and dill soup that was incredible.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerLoveLifeDined on 8/9/2014We went to dinner for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. We had appetizers, dinner and dessert-everything was outstanding. The service was friendly and several staff members were attentive. This restaurant is a town gem and can compete with any of the other foodie spots in Raleigh or Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small uninspired menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Went there for the first time with friends. Menu was very limited and the service was slower than I would have expected. My salmon was done well.
- Absolutely awesomehavnfunDined on 8/1/2014Great find. We can't believe this exist in cary. Just fantastic food, service and dessert. We plan on making this a weekly spot. Perfect food, wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in downtown CarycaryfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Great restaurant situated in a perfect section of downtown Cary...it's encouraging to see new "life" being brought back to downtown, \ and Academy Street Bistro is a perfect addition. The food was very good but somewhat pricey for the quality - and for this area. Ambiance was excellent and comfortable. The owners visited our table and it was obvious that their commitment to customer service is top priority.Special Features:
- DdddDined on 7/29/2014Very enjoyable lunch with friends. Allowed us time to talk and there was no pressure to hurry up and eat. Definitely will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good not greatguestDined on 7/18/2014food was good. We had 3 appetizers (no main dishes). Oysters "on the half shell" were breaded and fried. Good, but not what I was expecting. Risotto was very tasty. Brussel sprouts were - interesting and different, but I don't think I'd order it again. I would go back to this restaurant again. Good location and atmosphere if you want a nice meal when you are going to a function in downtown Cary.Special Features:
- Simply awesome!ChrisDined on 7/16/2014Great tasting food! Also, a great place to have a working lunch.Special Features:
- Very Good Food, But Kitchen's SlowBillisdueDined on 7/12/2014This was our third visit and it was just "OK". The server was a little slow getting to our table, but very good once we got started. The food was very good but it took much too long to get our soups (Gazpacho) & salads. There is a distinct difference between hand-crafted excellence and slow. The entrees were timed a little better, in relation to the soups/salads, but the duration of the meal was simply too long. The wait was not helped by the presence of a group of 12 or so gals celebrating a birthday dinner. They were certainly well mannered, but with the high ceilings and continual chatter the atmosphere was very noisy. I'm understand the point of a 'high energy' dining room but the service timing has to match and this did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Academy St BistrogastrofoodieDined on 7/11/2014Quiet, place; good beer and wine selection; food was excellent; only concern was we were seated directly beneath an outdoor speaker for the music. We should have asked that it be turned down.Special Features:
- Loyal CustomersharonDined on 7/1/2014The food at Academy Street Bistro is great. With an improvement in service it would be our number one "go to" restaurant.Special Features:
- MenuPGEGDined on 7/1/2014Chef's lunch specials were creative and delicious!Special Features:
- FINALLY!CaryFoodieDined on 6/28/2014This is a lovely date night or special occasion spot right in downtown Cary -- finally! The service and food were both outstanding. Our BBQ shrimp over polenta and avocado was divine. I accidentally knocked over my wine (hand gestures!) and it was magically replaced without my requesting another.Special Features:
- raleigheatsDined on 6/28/2014Academy Street Bistro was just OK. All of the entrees sounded delicious, but when I ordered the special it came out with plain rice instead of the garlic mashed potatoes that the server described. The portions were quite small given the hefty price tag. The meal was good, but not worth the price. The cocktails sounded interesting, but at $12 each I decided to pass. The ambiance was nice, food adequate, but a little too pricey to be completely enjoyable.
- Enjoyable evening!wineandineVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our first visit to this restaurant was such that we know we will return. Outstanding features: everybody seemed to be having a good time, the conversation level was lively. The welcome was friendly. The service was friendly, accurate and accommodating. We particularly enjoyed the shrimp and crab cocktail and the peach melba dessert. Look forward to exploring the menu further.Special Features:
- The following 154 reviews are from the Academy Street Bistro reviews archive.
- ReviewMartini1Dined on 6/24/2014Nice place in Cary, fun martini specials. The peach puree martini was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFinickyDined on 6/24/2014Great food, fantastic service and quiet enough to not have to shout at your dining companion! The best part - reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with styleDurhamFoodieDined on 6/21/2014This spot gives you a great rotating menu, a beautiful wrap-around patio and a touch of class. We had a great seafood chowder, strawberry & Camembert salad and finished with a great flour less chocolate cake. Wine list is good, dessert wine list and coffee selection is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Unfortunately, slow service and VERY small portions. Not worth the large tab.
- Great Dining Experienceluv2dineDined on 6/20/2014Had a great experience Friday night.....and our waiter, Terry, was amazing.Special Features:
- food good, service slowkirluvrDined on 6/19/2014Four of us went to Academy Street Bistro for dinner. It was a Thursday night and the restaurant wasn't crowded. There was a loud, large group at one table, and several other small tables were filled. We were taken to our seats, when we asked for a table rather than a booth, they got us one right away. The staff is friendly and accommodating, but the service is definitely slow. The food was worth the trip and I would eat there again. However, the slow service is an issue and would be a problem if it keeps happening. There are too many other good restaurants with better service.Special Features: