Academy Ocean Grille
2 Academy Place
Orleans, MA 02653Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Academy Ocean Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.academyoceangrille.com/
- Phone: 5082401585x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Tapas: Tuesday - Sunday from 11:30am - Close at Junior's Bar
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Todd Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not offer off-site catering, but have prepared appetizers and cold plates for guests to pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate dining room that can accommodate up to 55 people and a dining bar, as well as an open air patio, we welcome private parties looking for a relaxing location to host their events.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Goldberg Cummings 8886081360
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer special Holiday Menus (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve) as well has special dinners like our semi-annual Beer Dinners.
A word from Academy Ocean Grille
Located right off Route 28 in Orleans, the Grille offers a menu of eclectic global dishes with a touch of Cape Cod. The dining room offers a casual elegance; Junior's Bar is perfect for a light bite or a cocktail before dinner. Additional seating is available seasonally on the breezy patio. Eclectic definitely describes the menu where Salmon Gravlax with Potato Pancakes, Raspberry & Brie Springrolls and Pork Potstickers are among the many appetizers offered. Customer favorites include grilled Monkfish & Lobster Provencal, Veal Saltimbocca and Frutta de Mare. Lazy Sundays are perfect for lingering over Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary's or sip a mimosa while enjoying our Kahlua Stuffed French Toast. Lunch features an array of sandwiches and salads along with heartier items for diners looking for more of a midday meal. Don't forget the special Tapas and Flatbread Pizza menu available exclusively at Junior's Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Academy Ocean Grille - Best Restaurants in Orleans ›
Academy Ocean Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (21)romantic (15)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Favorite go to restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014this is one of our favorite restaurants on the Cape. We live nearby seasonally. We have never had a bad meal at Academy. Our most recent visit was on a Tuesday night out of season and there was only one waitress who did a great job but was very stretched. It was a steady crowd and she was taking drink as well as dinner orders. Just too much for any one person. We had the Fruitta de Mare and the Filet , both of which were outstanding , all and all a lovely night out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Good food, good friendly service, nice atmosphere. Fixed price menu is reasonably priced. Standard menu & wine prices seem are a little high.Special Features:
- Blew us away!WindtrystVIPDined on 10/18/2014We weny to Academy Ocean Grill during Restaurant Week, using the occasion to celebrate a birthday. We were a party of three, and each of us had an excellent culinary experience. The swordfish, the sole and the frutta de mare were spectacularly good! I ordered the swordfish and I must say that it may have been the best I have ever had! I recommend the restaurant without hesitation,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five stars all the waystevejDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at the Academy Grille. The service was excellent and the food superb. Our entrees and desserts were delicicious and the drinks were par for the course. I had the sole francais and it had a wonderful light batter and tasty blanc beurre. My wife was more than satisfied with her frutta de mare, a wonderful combination of shrimp, scallops and lobster over lobster ravioli with a pink sauce. Her only complaint was that there could be one more ravioli. No leftovers that night! Well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014Ate here with a friend during restaurant week. Both of us had their seafood over lobster ravioli which was delicious! Salad and dessert were both great! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Excellent!KSalleDined on 10/15/2014From the outside, the Academy Ocean Grille appears to be an average place for fish and chips and baked cod. However, once inside, diners find an exceptional menu, quiet tables, and careful, dedicated service. I had one of the best swordfish dinners I have ever had--a generous portion, broiled perfectly and served with just the right amount of a buttery sauce. My husband had an incredible lobster, scallops, and shrimp melange served over lobster ravioli. It was generous in its proportions and absolutely delicious. For dessert, we had an almond raspberry torte--light and wonderful after such a huge meal. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Academy Ocean GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/14/2014We went to celebrate a friends birthday. I made note on open table but it was not recognized by anyone. Food was good, service was good however I found it strange that the uniform was shorts in late October for dinner service. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Food good- service needs helpJoyceDined on 10/14/2014First time at this restaurant. Went on Tuesday of restaurant week. Arrived for 6 pm reservation and were seated promptly. Only a few tables occupied yet it took over 5 minutes for server to recognize us. Although Caesar salad had way too much dressing, the veal and seafood entrees and desserts were delicious!! We were never given any water either until we asked for it. Once we put our credit card on the bill, it took the waitress 10 minutes to pick it up and process. Overall, a good place for dinner but more efficient customer service is needed. The 2 waitresses seemed overwhelmed and discombobulated.Special Features:
- Friday Night DinnerCapeCodderDined on 10/10/2014Took a friend for a nice dinner and was not disappointed. The menu had variety so much so that it was a hard choice on what to pick. I would go back to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findlocalfoodieDined on 10/3/2014Not terribly crowded though the food was very good and we enjoyed our meals. My husband loved the liver and my salmon was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mjmrmVIPDined on 9/14/2014Reception staff - some not that friendly. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner!JiggerDined on 9/6/2014This was our first visit and we will go back! Our meals of pork tenderloins and beef medallions were delicious. Even my finicky husband liked his! Topped it off with homemade Creme Brule. All in all, a great meal.Special Features:
- Great food - lackadaisical servicechetpDined on 9/4/2014Excellent food from excellent menu. Fruit de mer particularly well prepared. Good table for our group of eight, but service good use some upgrading.Special Features:
- Terrific FoodTAJODined on 8/30/2014We were a small group of 4. Each of us had different entrees (swordfish, halibut, cod, veal). Each was excellent wrt preparation, presentation and, most importantly, flavor. Academy's sauces/toppings are top notch, enhancing the flavor, rather than overcoming them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCapeCodGrammaDined on 8/28/2014We have tried to go here twice, without a reservation. This time we reserved. We will not return. The food was just "okay", and for the price should have been better. Nothing horrible, just nothing at all outstanding. Wait staff was friendly and helpful.
- Excellent Choice for DinnerLawyerBabeDined on 8/25/2014My ultra-particular uncle was visiting for a few days. Unfamiliar with the area, he wanted to treat us for dinner, but asked me to locate a place meeting his requirements: very good food and drink, casual charm, attentive service, no fidgeting children, minimal background noise, and a moderate price. I made reservations hoping that the Academy met most of his demands. To my delight, my uncle was pleased. Our waitress graciously responded to my uncle's interrogations about the menu and the wine and beer list. He was able to taste a beer before making a commitment. The food was creative, well prepared, and delicious. The noise level was low enough so that my semi-deaf uncle could engage in conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- BrewsterRedDined on 8/21/2014Service left a lot to be desired and tarnished the experienced. We were not told about the wine bottle specials when trying to choose our bottles and when two entrees were dropped on the ground by the waitress she was frustrated did not apologize or comp anything (even a dessert). Would give it another try and hope for better sevice!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The ambience is pleasant, the service quite good, the pork tenderloin scrumptious. Owner supervised.Special Features:
- Open Table FindNewFanDined on 8/17/2014First time using OpenTable and happened to be on the cape. We were very pleased with this find. Great place to eat.Special Features:
- nice atmosphere. Food disappointscapevisitorDined on 8/16/2014Nice small space and friendly wait staff but the food was very greasy.Special Features:
- Terrific first time experienceCentervilliansDined on 8/9/2014This small operation has both a dinner and a lighter fare menu. Neither is overly extensive, but both are varied. We thoroughly enjoyed a filet mignon and a Cajun chicken and shrimp dish. The baked chocolate pudding was sinfully good, and the sticky toffee pudding was amazing! Well worth our trip from the Hyannis area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacked pizazzLivinmaeatinriDined on 8/7/2014Filet was tender but sauce lacked flavor. Our waitress didn't tell us the specials, we knew because we heard others being told. Food came quick. Sat 15 minutes ahead of reservation time which was nice because the bar was too tiny to sit. Customer base is older (>60) so don't expect to linger before or after your visit.
- looking for directioncheeriosVIPDined on 8/5/2014the menu is all over the place--from tapas to Italian. Seems to cater to an older crowd. the food is not great but consistently good.Special Features:
- not a fair samplesurprisemeDined on 8/3/2014Picked this spot because I had not been here before; I've had brunch all over the mid-Cape and, during the summer at least, everyone's Eggs Benedict are prettymuch the same. Food was average, though I'd skip the Graavlax next time - a few very small bits of salmon on top of small potato pancakes. NOT the graavlax one would expect! Craft beer in bottles and the usual Bud Family on tap. Outdoor tables overlook a busy intersection. Service was OUTSTANDING, however. I would give the place another try, for a meal that was not Brunch. Menu has some attractive food pairings - but Brunch was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When you want more than seafood...TraceyDined on 8/2/2014I was staying in the nearby town of Eastham where there are many very good and long lines at seafood restaurants. This restaurant is more of a destination place especially after a long drive and you want to unwind in a quiet atmosphere with entree selections such as roast prime rib or pork tenderloin. The appetizer of fried calamari with banana peppers is light, crunchy and delightful. I had the pork tenderloin which was served in a light brandy sauce; not just for fall dining. The restaurant offers a very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable priceDrivelmanDined on 8/1/2014Great menu, excellent food, and friendly service. Will return with guests frequently for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwanDined on 7/29/2014Was pleasantly surprized by the gracious interior. Had changed since last I was inside the restaurant -- year's ago -- as I usually eat outside. Crab cake the freshest and best I have had!Special Features:
- Great dinner!LizzyDined on 7/24/2014We had the beef tenderloin, which was cooked to perfection. The mash potatoes and veggies were wonderful as well. service was good, although I asked for a glass of water more than once and did not receive it until the end of my meal after prompting the waitress yet again. Our waitress was very pleasant! We ordered the chocolate pate for dessert the portion was so incredibly small but delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved iteateryDined on 7/20/2014went with family. loved the food. nice atmosphere. service was attentive but not overbearing. highly recommend.Special Features:
- birthday70Dined on 7/10/2014Academy Ocean Grill is one of our very favorite places to eat. The staff is great and the food is always consistent with great specials and new items on the menu. Allways are pleased with our meals and will return many times this summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great to have reservationsrobertoVIPDined on 7/9/2014We spent the week in the Orleans area and we had some great meals,but what makes this restaurant special is that they take reservations.The crowds at every stop were very challenging.Nice to have a quiet and relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealjazzyjozVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a great meal at the Academy Ocean Grille! Everyone in our party of four enjoyed their meals. Our server recommended the prime rib and two in our party had it and it was delicious. The seafood appetizers were also a big hit. We will definitely return next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Wonderful dinner for 39th Anniversary! All our meals were delicious, staff efficient, friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good entree selectionsJohnDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed our two entrees and started with small caesar salads that did come with the anchovies, which we liked. The monkfish and scallops entree had very good large scallops, while the broiled fresh cod with orange saffron beurre blanc was also good. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJeffTVIPDined on 7/2/2014I ordered the halibut special and although the presentation was nice, it was very undercooked - raw and cold inside. I sent it back and fortunately it was promptly returned, properly cooked. Our waitress apologized and said we would not be charged for it, but later returned to say that the owner was making her charge us for it because I ate it. She offer a free dessert instead. Although the owner was well aware of the situation and passed by our table several times, he never stopped to apologize or ask if everything was okay. I asked our waitress to send him to our table, but she asked that we not speak to him because she feared she would be fired if we did. I will not be back.
- The following 147 reviews are from the Academy Ocean Grille reviews archive.
- Very nicemenuboy3Dined on 6/24/2014Fresh, good quality fish and seafood, nicely prepared. Menu has a lot of variety, interesting appetizers. Wines by the glass were good and reasonably priced. Definitely worth going to if you're in the area.Special Features:
- No country for old vegetariansCapeGarlicVIPDined on 6/7/2014I'm always searching for a restaurant where my wife, an omnivore, and I, a vegetarian, can have a great meal together. There are a few on the Cape but Academy Ocean Grill is not one of them. My wife had the monkfish and scallops which was to be served with rice pilaf. The dish was served with a heavy sauce covering everything including the rice. Her response: meh! When I told our server that I was a vegetarian, she offered an uninspired "steamed vegetables with potato". I ordered the vegetable samosas and a house salad. I've had better samosas out of a frozen Trader Joes package. We decided to have desert at home.
- Happy to be backSusanDined on 6/7/2014As usual, our meal was delicious. My husband had the Oysters and was very pleased with the taste and presentation. The cashew crusted halibut was cooked to perfection and the vanilla bean sauce was a perfect combination. Loved the mashed sweet potato and green beans although they were a little under done for me. We passed on desserts this time, but enjoyed a nice Australian Semillion wine. It is so nice to have a local restaurant where they make you feel at home. We had a new server, but our usual came by to check in! We love the decor changes although suttle they seem just right. It seemed to make the space quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014I HAVE EATEN HERE TWICE NOW AND THE FOOD HAS BEEN VERY GOOD BOTH TIMES. I HAVE ALSO EATEN AT THE SAME TABLE TWICE AND ITS BEEN TO CLOSE TO THE FRONT DOOR, NEXT TIME IT MUST BE TOWARDS THE BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small place with great fooddavescatVIPDined on 5/25/2014We went for the seafood, but my husband really enjoyed his calves liver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.