Academy Ocean Grille
2 Academy Place
Orleans, MA 02653Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Academy Ocean Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.academyoceangrille.com/
- Phone: 5082401585x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Tapas: Daily from 11:30am - Close at Junior's Bar
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Todd Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not offer off-site catering, but have prepared appetizers and cold plates for guests to pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate dining room that can accommodate up to 55 people and a dining bar, as well as an open air patio, we welcome private parties looking for a relaxing location to host their events.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Goldberg Cummings 8886081360
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer special Holiday Menus (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve) as well has special dinners like our semi-annual Beer Dinners.
A word from Academy Ocean Grille
Located right off Route 28 in Orleans, the Grille offers a menu of eclectic global dishes with a touch of Cape Cod. The dining room offers a casual elegance; Junior's Bar is perfect for a light bite or a cocktail before dinner. Additional seating is available seasonally on the breezy patio. Eclectic definitely describes the menu where Salmon Gravlax with Potato Pancakes, Raspberry & Brie Springrolls and Pork Potstickers are among the many appetizers offered. Customer favorites include grilled Monkfish & Lobster Provencal, Veal Saltimbocca and Frutta de Mare. Lazy Sundays are perfect for lingering over Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary's or sip a mimosa while enjoying our Kahlua Stuffed French Toast. Lunch features an array of sandwiches and salads along with heartier items for diners looking for more of a midday meal. Don't forget the special Tapas and Flatbread Pizza menu available exclusively at Junior's Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Academy Ocean Grille - Best Restaurants in Orleans ›
Academy Ocean Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (15)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent Choice for DinnerLawyerBabeDined on 8/25/2014My ultra-particular uncle was visiting for a few days. Unfamiliar with the area, he wanted to treat us for dinner, but asked me to locate a place meeting his requirements: very good food and drink, casual charm, attentive service, no fidgeting children, minimal background noise, and a moderate price. I made reservations hoping that the Academy met most of his demands. To my delight, my uncle was pleased. Our waitress graciously responded to my uncle's interrogations about the menu and the wine and beer list. He was able to taste a beer before making a commitment. The food was creative, well prepared, and delicious. The noise level was low enough so that my semi-deaf uncle could engage in conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- BrewsterRedDined on 8/21/2014Service left a lot to be desired and tarnished the experienced. We were not told about the wine bottle specials when trying to choose our bottles and when two entrees were dropped on the ground by the waitress she was frustrated did not apologize or comp anything (even a dessert). Would give it another try and hope for better sevice!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The ambience is pleasant, the service quite good, the pork tenderloin scrumptious. Owner supervised.Special Features:
- Open Table FindNewFanDined on 8/17/2014First time using OpenTable and happened to be on the cape. We were very pleased with this find. Great place to eat.Special Features:
- nice atmosphere. Food disappointscapevisitorDined on 8/16/2014Nice small space and friendly wait staff but the food was very greasy.Special Features:
- Terrific first time experienceCentervilliansDined on 8/9/2014This small operation has both a dinner and a lighter fare menu. Neither is overly extensive, but both are varied. We thoroughly enjoyed a filet mignon and a Cajun chicken and shrimp dish. The baked chocolate pudding was sinfully good, and the sticky toffee pudding was amazing! Well worth our trip from the Hyannis area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacked pizazzLivinmaeatinriDined on 8/7/2014Filet was tender but sauce lacked flavor. Our waitress didn't tell us the specials, we knew because we heard others being told. Food came quick. Sat 15 minutes ahead of reservation time which was nice because the bar was too tiny to sit. Customer base is older (>60) so don't expect to linger before or after your visit.
- looking for directioncheeriosDined on 8/5/2014the menu is all over the place--from tapas to Italian. Seems to cater to an older crowd. the food is not great but consistently good.Special Features:
- not a fair samplesurprisemeDined on 8/3/2014Picked this spot because I had not been here before; I've had brunch all over the mid-Cape and, during the summer at least, everyone's Eggs Benedict are prettymuch the same. Food was average, though I'd skip the Graavlax next time - a few very small bits of salmon on top of small potato pancakes. NOT the graavlax one would expect! Craft beer in bottles and the usual Bud Family on tap. Outdoor tables overlook a busy intersection. Service was OUTSTANDING, however. I would give the place another try, for a meal that was not Brunch. Menu has some attractive food pairings - but Brunch was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When you want more than seafood...TraceyDined on 8/2/2014I was staying in the nearby town of Eastham where there are many very good and long lines at seafood restaurants. This restaurant is more of a destination place especially after a long drive and you want to unwind in a quiet atmosphere with entree selections such as roast prime rib or pork tenderloin. The appetizer of fried calamari with banana peppers is light, crunchy and delightful. I had the pork tenderloin which was served in a light brandy sauce; not just for fall dining. The restaurant offers a very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable priceDrivelmanDined on 8/1/2014Great menu, excellent food, and friendly service. Will return with guests frequently for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwanDined on 7/29/2014Was pleasantly surprized by the gracious interior. Had changed since last I was inside the restaurant -- year's ago -- as I usually eat outside. Crab cake the freshest and best I have had!Special Features:
- Great dinner!LizzyDined on 7/24/2014We had the beef tenderloin, which was cooked to perfection. The mash potatoes and veggies were wonderful as well. service was good, although I asked for a glass of water more than once and did not receive it until the end of my meal after prompting the waitress yet again. Our waitress was very pleasant! We ordered the chocolate pate for dessert the portion was so incredibly small but delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved iteateryDined on 7/20/2014went with family. loved the food. nice atmosphere. service was attentive but not overbearing. highly recommend.Special Features:
- birthday70Dined on 7/10/2014Academy Ocean Grill is one of our very favorite places to eat. The staff is great and the food is always consistent with great specials and new items on the menu. Allways are pleased with our meals and will return many times this summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great to have reservationsrobertoVIPDined on 7/9/2014We spent the week in the Orleans area and we had some great meals,but what makes this restaurant special is that they take reservations.The crowds at every stop were very challenging.Nice to have a quiet and relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealjazzyjozVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a great meal at the Academy Ocean Grille! Everyone in our party of four enjoyed their meals. Our server recommended the prime rib and two in our party had it and it was delicious. The seafood appetizers were also a big hit. We will definitely return next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Wonderful dinner for 39th Anniversary! All our meals were delicious, staff efficient, friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good entree selectionsJohnDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed our two entrees and started with small caesar salads that did come with the anchovies, which we liked. The monkfish and scallops entree had very good large scallops, while the broiled fresh cod with orange saffron beurre blanc was also good. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJeffTVIPDined on 7/2/2014I ordered the halibut special and although the presentation was nice, it was very undercooked - raw and cold inside. I sent it back and fortunately it was promptly returned, properly cooked. Our waitress apologized and said we would not be charged for it, but later returned to say that the owner was making her charge us for it because I ate it. She offer a free dessert instead. Although the owner was well aware of the situation and passed by our table several times, he never stopped to apologize or ask if everything was okay. I asked our waitress to send him to our table, but she asked that we not speak to him because she feared she would be fired if we did. I will not be back.
- Very nicemenuboy3Dined on 6/24/2014Fresh, good quality fish and seafood, nicely prepared. Menu has a lot of variety, interesting appetizers. Wines by the glass were good and reasonably priced. Definitely worth going to if you're in the area.Special Features:
- No country for old vegetariansCapeGarlicVIPDined on 6/7/2014I'm always searching for a restaurant where my wife, an omnivore, and I, a vegetarian, can have a great meal together. There are a few on the Cape but Academy Ocean Grill is not one of them. My wife had the monkfish and scallops which was to be served with rice pilaf. The dish was served with a heavy sauce covering everything including the rice. Her response: meh! When I told our server that I was a vegetarian, she offered an uninspired "steamed vegetables with potato". I ordered the vegetable samosas and a house salad. I've had better samosas out of a frozen Trader Joes package. We decided to have desert at home.
- Happy to be backSusanDined on 6/7/2014As usual, our meal was delicious. My husband had the Oysters and was very pleased with the taste and presentation. The cashew crusted halibut was cooked to perfection and the vanilla bean sauce was a perfect combination. Loved the mashed sweet potato and green beans although they were a little under done for me. We passed on desserts this time, but enjoyed a nice Australian Semillion wine. It is so nice to have a local restaurant where they make you feel at home. We had a new server, but our usual came by to check in! We love the decor changes although suttle they seem just right. It seemed to make the space quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014I HAVE EATEN HERE TWICE NOW AND THE FOOD HAS BEEN VERY GOOD BOTH TIMES. I HAVE ALSO EATEN AT THE SAME TABLE TWICE AND ITS BEEN TO CLOSE TO THE FRONT DOOR, NEXT TIME IT MUST BE TOWARDS THE BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small place with great fooddavescatVIPDined on 5/25/2014We went for the seafood, but my husband really enjoyed his calves liver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cape Cod CookerCapeCodCookerDined on 5/23/2014Good service, excellent food, imaginatively prepared and presented, very friendly atmosphere, reasonable prices considering the location.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We took advanatge of Restaurant Week. Too cold to sit outside and our reserved table was against a wall so we had privacy but everyone had to squeeze past on the other 3 sides. Husband's swordfish was very good. My sole was very buttery, too much. I scraped off egg coating to remove some butter. Veggies were good but also swimming in butter. The warm chocolate pudding was a diappointment. I guess I thought it would be a bread pudding or something with character but it was unremarkable. It's not easy to put together a $25 dinner on Cape Cod so I think I would go again to Academy Grill again but at a different time.
- downundererDined on 5/14/2014food average to poor avoid the veal at all cost awful nothing worth discussing
- Wonderful eveninglpcapecodDined on 5/11/2014Food and service were great and it was a busy day (Mother's Day) Never rushed and a warm welcome. Definitely a place to recommend an revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJustmeDined on 5/8/2014Very pretty dining room, good food, good service, good wines at half-way decent prices. Would take family and friends here!Special Features:
- Orleans FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/4/2014The Academy Ocean Grille is a lovely place to have dinner or a special lunch. The food is uniformly great, and even in Orleans where sea food is king, the fish dishes are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Academy Ocean Grille reviews archive.
- Good, and clearly a local favoritebrian6uVIPDined on 4/25/2014While we were among the first to arrive the night we ate there, it is clearly a beloved local haunt for some of the couples in Orleans. All are known on a first name basis, and the waitstaff treats them like family. Nice, easy and relaxing place for dinner in Orleans. In season, it is always nice to know a place or two that will serve a good, predicable meal...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting new findmjmrmVIPDined on 12/21/2013We have seen the name for years but never had occasion to visit before. Now we are happy we did. The food was excellent. We had veal saltimbocca and sauteed sole. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Easy location/centrally located and near highways too. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner--A Gem in OrleansJarjeanneVIPDined on 12/6/2013We hadn't been here is a few years. It was wonderful. The food was really lovely--carefully prepared, not too heavy (sauces, fats, etc.) and tasty. Service was the best. It's the first time a request for more water has been met with a carafe so that we could self-serve. Thoughtful and attentive. We'll visit frequently now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the AOG!!BrianDined on 12/6/2013Always a great meal! One of my favorite spots on the Lower Cape.Special Features:
- Don't let the outside fool youAhabDined on 11/28/2013This place may not look like much from the outside, but it has a great kitchen. We were looking for a place for Thanksgiving and Open Table recommended the Grille, and we're glad they did. Although we did not get there until 45 minutes before the last reservation, the Turkey was very tasty and moist. The real test is the stuffing and their's was very good, and not the Stove Top that many places try to pawn off as the real thing. Portions were large and reasonably priced, particularly for Cape Cod. We are from New Orleans, and we have a small catering company, so we're not quick to hand out kudos, but this place deserves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch all aroundTAJODined on 11/10/2013We went to Academy Ocean Grill on a Sunday night after a concert and were treated to a top notch set of entrees. I had the swordfish, which was excellent, my wife had broiled cod, which she thought was very good, and the others in our party had veal saltimbocca, which they described as one of the best they ever had. They also have a good selection of wine. The atmosphere is casual but leaning a little upscale (w/o ever being pretentious).Special Features:
- Very good meal along withJimmDined on 11/9/2013Very good meal along with great attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2013The food and service at the Academy Ocean Grill is consistently exceptional. On the most recent visit, I had the swordfish, which was perfectly prepared. Any meal that I have here is always finished off with Sticky Toffiee Pudding. Don't miss this one when you are visiting, or live on, Cape Cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but limited Fall menuReenieDined on 10/26/2013Have been here in summer months when the menu is much more extensive...missed the samosas, the potstickers and the spring rolls which I think we're on the menu then. Also, the number of entrees was limited (late October 2013) as compared to summertime. Veal, filet Mignon and swordfish were all yummy ...delish..... The paint shades are very Zen like so it is a relaxing atmosphere.... Lights could be just a little dimmer. All in all a great restaurant and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.