Academe at The Kennebunk Inn
45 Main St.
Kennebunk, ME 04043Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Academe at The Kennebunk Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thekennebunkinn.com/
- Phone: 2079853351
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian and Shanna O'Hea
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef-owners, Brian and Shanna O'Hea, will design the perfect menu to meet your on or off-site catering requirements for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, anniversary and birthday parties, or corporate events.
- Private Party Facilities: A private room that overlooks The Inn's brick patio and herb garden can accommodate up to 30 for seated service and 40 for standing receptions. Access to the patio/garden provides a gracious combination of indoor and outdoor space.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Ryan 2079853351
A word from Academe at The Kennebunk Inn
Academe at The Kennebunk Inn showcases the culinary creativity and execution of Chef-owners and Culinary Institute of America graduates, Brian and Shanna O'Hea. This year Academe's Lobster Pot Pie was featured on the Food Network show "Best Thing I Ever Ate," nominated by celebrity chef Cat Cora. Since acquiring the historic inn located in the heart of Kennebunk village in 2003, the O'Heas have dramatically altered the look, the feel and, most importantly, the tastes awaiting patrons of The Inn's restaurant. From first course options to entree and dessert offerings, Academe promises an uncommon yet accessible dining experience drawn from the seasonal bounty of the land and sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Academe at The Kennebunk Inn - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
Academe at The Kennebunk Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Weak mealNEDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014PEI mussels were shriveled and tiny when compared to most presentations. The famed lobster pot pie was a disappointment in that it was overly milky, little lobster and without substance. Service and ambiance good. I hope this was just a bad day for the staff was most courteous and desirous of pleasing.
- Not the best...FoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014For a review that I read of the best lobster pot pie, I was disappointed. It had an interesting sauce, but the chunks of lobster were too big as were the potatoes. There were not as plentiful as one would hope. A puff pastry top is not a real accomplishment. I was expecting something a little more gourmet. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. The service was okay.
- Eclectic menu, well executedAJLSDined on 9/19/2014Innovative specials, enjoyed the selection and presentation. Would like to see more seafood and desserts beyond ice cream selection. But what was presented was very good as it has been on all our visits there.Special Features:
- DisappointingpaceripleyDined on 9/12/2014Academe is a hotel dining room glorified with a couple of fairly good items. I was underwhelmed. Service was middling and the food, for the prices, was not great. The Seven Hour Roasted Vegetable Tart was bland; the accompanying blue cheese salad was just not good. The lobster pot pie was decent. There are much better places to eat in Kennebunk than Academe, including the Local across the street.Special Features:
- mainediner6VIPDined on 9/5/2014Usually have good meals at this restaurant, but was a bit disappointed this visit. The lobster lo'maine was not as described on the menu and very bland. Tried the s'more dessert, the dessert cold in the center and "ice cold shot of milk" described in the menu was very warm..
- Excellent for cocktails or dinnerJPM0713VIPDined on 9/3/2014We visited just after Labor Day and it was not busy; cocktail at the bar followed by dinner in the dining room. The bartender was outstanding and deep knowledge of the menu which prepped us for our selections. Excellent dinner and service; on my recommended list for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Going for drinks and lobster pie? What you'll get is phenomenal very friendly service, a medicinal potable and a small crock with two lobster claws, a dozen peas, two chunks of potato and a slurry topped with a very buttery mass of puff pastry. Because it's on food network does not mean it's great overall.
- Consistently WonderfulLocalResidentVIPDined on 8/9/2014We are frequent diners at the restaurant. The food and the service are excellent and, as previously noted, we are most appreciative of the kitchen's willingness to modify meals based on dietary needs. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maybe an off nightJRQ654VIPDined on 8/8/2014didnt live up to expectations...dining room atmosphere is drab; nothing special about the menu or the food. didn't try the specialty of the house, so perhaps we missed the point. but the service was good.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulLocalResidentVIPDined on 8/2/2014Please see earlier reviews. We dine here on a regular basis and find the food and service to be excellent. We love how accommodating they are of special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service. Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We arrived at the same time along with another number of other diners on a busy Friday night. Despite this, we were waited on promptly and the service was outstanding. Our waiter was attentive and personable. We never felt rushed. The special that evening was a steak that was cooked perfectly and so tender that you could cut it with a spoon. My kids loved the pizza. It was nice to get out of the "turn over the table" Dock Square restaurants and spend an evening in a relaxed welcoming environment.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Lobster Pot Pie, Mussels, Salad with dried cranberries & pistasio was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Locals RecommendLocalResidentVIPDined on 7/25/2014We live in Kennebunk and dine here frequently for lunch and dinner. The food is terrific, service excellent. My favorite thing about dining here is how accommodative the kitchen is to differing dietary needs. We cannot say enough good things about the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kennebunk at its bestTomMDined on 7/19/2014Good service, great attitude, and excellent execution. The house special Lobster Pot Pie is unique and excellent.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectationsSGKATLVIPDined on 7/3/2014While staying in Kennebunkport, we searched nearby restaurants with great reviews and came across Academe. When we saw that Chef Cat Cora had chosen the lobster pot pie on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate", we were sold. It did not disappoint. All of the food we ordered, from apps to dessert, was delicious. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choiceapfoodDined on 6/28/2014We had a great dinner. Especially loved the lobster pot pie. Good service, appealing menu, casual.Special Features:
- The following 170 reviews are from the Academe at The Kennebunk Inn reviews archive.
- Academe was worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014My family of four enjoyed each and every item that was ordered, from burgers to salmone to homemade pasta and steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousLocalResidentVIPDined on 5/30/2014Food is always fresh and prepared well. Lots of choices in the menu for lunch.Special Features:
- Great experience!BarneyVIPDined on 5/23/2014It was my first time and certainly not my last!! THX so muchSpecial Features:
- Consistently WonderfulLocalResidentVIPDined on 5/10/2014Delightful menu, fine service. We appreciate their flexibilitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge DisappointmentruthinbostonDined on 5/9/2014Staff informed us (after we were seated) that tonight's menu was "limited" because owners were in New York. Prices were not" limited". Lobster pot pie was served on a cloth napkin in a small pot with the sauce already spilling over and no way to get into it without making a mess of (and scooping sauce from) the napkin. Napkin smelled of bleach. Mussels were tasteless. Young waiter pleasant but came to table only to take away dishes though no one else was in the dining room when we arrived. A dramatic departure from previous dining experiences there. Go through Kennebunk often and had talked it up with my husband. We will not make the Academe a destination henceforth. Too many fine dining options in the area to risk this again.
- Kennebunk Inn is a CharmBJD60Dined on 5/8/2014I had dinner with a dear friend and enjoyed the quiet setting, excellent and very responsive wait staff and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently WonderfulLocalResidentVIPDined on 4/23/2014The title says it all. Well prepared food, attentive knowledgeable service, reasonably priced wines. Just terrific.Special Features:
- We had a party of four, typicallyJohnDined on 3/15/2014We had a party of four, typically hard to please diners. All were very pleased. The food was excellent, especially the crab raviolli and the duck. The service was top-notch; our server (Adrian) was attentive without being overbearing, knowledgeable without being condescending. We appreciated that the wine list had a number of very nice, inexpensive wines. We were fortunate to dine on a quiet Saturday night in March. I would be happy to recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- VisitMainerDined on 3/8/2014We have been here before and have never been dissapointed. Great food, great people, great service. The presentation is one of the best. Plates are well put together. Everything looks appetizing to start.Special Features:
- great honeymoon findalmatheaDined on 3/6/2014We loved this restaurant so much we went back for lunch the next day, and were disappointed that we only found it on our last night. The food was subdued, subtly and sophisticated. Make sure to ask for the bread, it's worth the carbs. Even my picky pastry chef husband loved this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.LovestoEatDined on 3/5/2014We ate lunch here a week ago for the first time and had their lobster pie, which is amazing. We went back this week for restaurant week because the food was so good. Appetizer was again lobster pie, still so good. My husband loved his monkfish over lentils and my beef stew with lobster empanadas were delicious. We both had the pistachio profiteroles for dessert. They were small and tasted the way a profiterole should, homemade and with melted dark chocolate over them. If we weren't in a restaurant, I would have licked my plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Lobster Pot Pie was just okay...not as great as advertised. Also, server never came back to refill our drink order and we had to wait about 20 minutes after meal to be offered a dessert menu.Special Features:
- foodierificfoodieDined on 2/14/2014We went for the VD special menu. As promised we had the very micro lobster tart. As promised on line it was delicious. I would make it two ounces larger. The lamb rack was ok but the filet mignon with a wonderful bordelaise was very good. I appreciated the requested table visit from the Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good. MyGappleDined on 2/8/2014The food was very good. My wife had the Lobster Pie which is everything we had heard about and I had Fish & Chips. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the presentation was whimsical for a simple dish. The bar noise got a little loud at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/30/2014I visited this restaurant on Jan. 30 2014 with my two adult daughters for dinner. We were offered a choice to sit anywhere in their dining room. The dining room only had 2 other tables occupied so we chose the table in between the 2 occupied tables at the front of the dining room facing the front window. Our first waiter introduced himself as our waiter then never returned . The second waiter then came to the table and took our orders. He was an obviously experienced server and did a great job. As we waited for our entrees the couple sitting next to us began to argue and use foul language. Their conversation became rather heated at times which ruined the ambience of dining at the Academe that evening. Our food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great LUnchJaneDined on 1/15/2014Wonderful choices on the Lunch menu. Meal was terrific and the atmosphere very conducive to visiting with lunch friends. Convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster pot pie was amazingNCheelDined on 1/7/2014Lobster pot pie was amazing and the hot chocolate and homemade marshmellows shouldn't be missed!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceFionaDined on 1/4/2014We were entertaining guests from out of town and wanted them to have a delightful evening out. The Kennebunk Inn with its excellent food and beautiful atmosphere was the perfect place to dine. Everyone enjoyed their delicious food and the service was outstanding. I would absolutely recommend the Kennebunk Inn for an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice way to welcome in the new yearHalmulVIPDined on 12/31/2013Went there for New Year's Eve-- preferred when they did a Tapas menu for the night, but this year's 'comfort food' menu was fun as well-- With all the places that charge a premium for NYE its nice to find an affordable - very nice place to go.Special Features:
- New Year's EveSammieDined on 12/31/2013We had a table in a cozy corner, relax atmosphere and we were able to enjoy our dinner without feeing rushed. My husband raved over the seafood stew and I truly enjoyed every bit of the lobster pie. It was our first time and will not be our last time . It was a nice romantic evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood findfrankkDined on 12/27/2013After 15 yrs of visiting Maine we are happy we finally stopped i n for dinner we will certainly be coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve at the Kennebunk Inn.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013Our party of four were promptly seated in a comfortable dining room. We each selected a different entree and were pleased with our choices. Each dish was presented in an attractive manner and appropriately seasoned. A splendid dinner. A most enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Once AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013The Kennebunk Inn's Academe is underrated locally, but has a strong menu with considerable variety. The lobster pie is worthy of it's acclaim. When crowded, the service can be slow, so it's best not to be in a rush. (The bar, which has the same menu, would be a better choice for the time constrained.) It is my go-to place in Kennebunk. It's also one of the few places locally where it's possible to get more than a pub lunch. Just a nice choice--and visitors consistently love it.Special Features:
- Low key diningBostonDined on 11/29/2013Academe is in an old inn... quaint and charming. The decor isn't exciting but the food was very good. A large menu with a house specialty of Lobster Pot Pie which was exceptional. That alone makes a visit worthwhile! Overall, a pleasant experience and would recommend a visit for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.