Acacia of Lawrenceville
2637 Main Street
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Acacia of Lawrenceville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.acacianj.com/
- Phone: (609) 895-9885
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm- close, Saturday, Sunday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Acacia of Lawrenceville
Our passion for inventive American cuisine is matched only for our passion for using the freshest, local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Acacia of Lawrenceville - Best Restaurants in Lawrenceville ›
Acacia of Lawrenceville reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (20)romantic (20)great for lunch (13)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Acacia is legen... wait for it...JimmyKDined on 11/14/2014...dary! Legendary! I have never been disappointed with Acacia and this time was no different. Met up with a friend for dinner on Friday night and had an awesome dinner! We started with the duck croquettes and octopus with chorizo for appetizers. Both were great, the octopus and chorizo came with potatoes and sliced apples and was an excellent app. The duck croquettes were excellent as well, served with a pesto sauce. For dinner, I went with the short rib, which was perfectly prepared and came with a side of celery root mash and broccoli. My buddy had the salmon and enjoyed his meal as well. The restaurant is BYOB, which is cool, so you can bring your favorite adult beverage and enjoy it with your meal.Special Features:
- AcaciaMichaelDined on 11/8/2014Great romantic ambience. Wonderful restaurant to be intimate with close friends or your signifcant other.Special Features:
- Great Ambience; Disappointing FoodfuneaterDined on 11/7/2014It was a special occasion. We ordered the octopus appetizer (OK); cauliflower soup (tasteless); arugula salad (nondescript dressing); duck (nothing special); crab cakes (consistency of a salmon croquet and paired with sweet potato mash and too salty kale). This last dish was so disappointing that the server gave us a free dessert, which was the best part of the meal. The wait staff was friendly and the surroundings were pleasant. It is BYOB, which would make it a favorite place to go if the food were up to par. Won't be returning.
- Well done!wineanddineVIPDined on 11/7/2014Four delicious courses that started with the roasted cauliflower and apple soup and finished with the apple pie; I love the Terhune orchards’ apples! The Caesar salad with the house-made dressing is really one of the best tasting ones around and the salmon entrée, with kale and parsnips, was well-prepared and speaks highly of the restaurant’s inventive and sophisticated approach to dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!GreenVIPDined on 10/30/2014We've been disappointed for a long time yet return periodically because it's 5 minutes from us. This time we hit the jackpot. A new Chef (Chris) with an updated and fresher menu that changes with what's fresh locally. We're looking forward to returning and hope it continues to be great food, service and environment.Special Features:
- A real gem!eddiemac358Dined on 10/29/2014A great, simple, yet refined menu for the upscale and sophisticated palate. Outstanding service with full attention to detail to everyone at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfriendly management and staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Poor atmosphere due to a large loud party. Management and staff less than welcoming.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Love, love, love Acacia. I am never disappointed. And it is byo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dish -- Breakfast for DinnerTrentVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Porridge with Soft Egg and Mushrooms - best dish of the night! Really like the atmosphere and menu. BYOB. Minor flaws. PEI mussels in the Paella were small and overcooked. Everything else in it was fresh and good. For the Porridge and Egg dish the waitress did not know if it was a sous vide style preparation of the egg. She had a quizzical look on her face when I asked so either my French is poor or she did not know what that is. Had to ask for a description of the cheeses on the cheese plate. She was a very friendly though and found out the names of the cheeses quickly. Timing at the end of the meal a bit slow. I attribute the service flaws to training to ensure all staff is familiar with the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My best MealswineanddineVIPDined on 10/10/2014I do eat here 3 or 4 times a month and have had many very good meals. I can readily notice how the new chef is making a very positive difference to the quality of food with both ingredients and preparation. While I've had the Griggstown chicken countless times (here, as well several other restaurants in Mercer and Somerset counties) this was the best that I've eaten at Acacia. Some times I may have felt it a little dry, but this was amazingly moist and really brought out the best taste in this high quality chicken. The seasonal accompaniments were well chosen for this, too. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my favoritePhDTigressVIPDined on 10/2/2014Of the many restaurants in the area, Acacia remains my favorite. We took friends there to celebrate their recent marriage. The appetizers included a marvelous cauliflower-apple soup, tasty pork cheeks, and flavorful octopus. One friend enjoyed the signature crabcakes, his spouse ordered scallops (and the plate was full of them), my husband had classic hanger steak with fries, and I enjoyed the evening's special of ahi tuna with bok choy and mushrooms. The menu offers a mix of classic and inventive dishes that are beautifully prepared and presented. Our guests had amazing desserts. One sour note: apparently the server gave our guests real coffee instead of decaf and they didn't sleep all night. Be sure to double check that it's decaf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YolyOVIPDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely charming! The wait staff was friendly and accommodating, the food was delicious and the portions were a very good size. An added plus is that there is ample (free) parking. It is BYOB and every patron we saw there, arrived with their own wine. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good but not greatSCboozeDined on 9/20/2014It has been a while since we ate here, and the experience was good. There were 4 of us and 2 loved their meals, the others were not too impressed. The service is outstanding and there is outside seating. Its BYOB which is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MortDined on 9/11/2014Hadn't been to Acacia for five years. It has gone downhill. It was extremely noisy, flies all over the place, brusque waitresses, chipped plates, and silverware with knicks and sharp edges. The food was less than mediocre: chicken overcooked and dry; the salad was not fresh; and the ice cream had been in the freezer too long and was just ice chips with no flavor. It was also very noisy, though there were very few people. This place needs a new manager!!!!
- Wonderful Experience!BobbyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We hadn't been to Acacia in several years and we won't wait that long to go again! We had a wonderful window table and excellent service. For appetizers, I had the heirloom tomato salad which was superb and my husband had the grilled octopus which was excellent. For the main course, I had the Griggstown Brick chicken which was delicious. My husband had the pasta special which was a fra diavalo seafood which was perfectly seasoned, just spicy enough to give it a great taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better.WannabeFoodieDined on 8/22/2014From the appetizer through the dessert, it was a wonderful dinning experience. A quiet and romantic atmosphere set the stage. The subtly of flavors combined with bold concepts made for an unforgettable meal. I had the Kobe meatball appetizer special and they were literally the best meatballs I've ever had. Everything else my girlfriend and I had was off the regular menu and delicious. She'd never been to Acacia before although I have and she still talks about the restaurant to her friends now, a couple weeks later. They definitely made me her hero.Special Features:
- Excellent foodHombreHambrientoDined on 8/21/2014To celebrate my 21st wedding anniversary, I decided to use OpenTable to pick a restaurant for this special day. Although I usually use Yelp, I decided to book at Acacia because it was close and available, and it was one of the best meals I have had in years. We started with salads. Mine was the Heirloom tomato and my wife's was the Green Papaya. Both were fatastic. Our Entrees were prepared with care. I had the Pork Ribeye, which was so tender, you could cut it with a butter knife, and my wife had the Ahi Tuna, which she said was wonderful. For dessert, I had the Chocolate Peanut butter pyramid and she had the Creme Brulee that were both fantastic. The coffee was not fresh, but the entire evening was fabulaous. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Perfection in PrincetonIranmnVIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food, great service! A wonderful experience every time we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DiningwineanddineVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food continues to excel under the new chef. Dining here 2 or 3 times a month, I have noticed some very nice changes to the menu that include the ingredients and the preparation, as well as the choices. This restaurant, which I thought pretty good for many years, is certainly now on my short list of the best BYOB places in Mercer County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Lawrenceville.mafalzonDined on 8/1/2014I grew up in Lawrenceville, and the small town isn't much known for vibrant Cuisine. Acacia does a good job of introducing local product while preserving the big city flavors of just 60 miles north of here. Prices are affordable, and it's worth taking a detour if you're passing through Route one.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceGeomanVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a Friday reservation and the restaurant was very quiet when we arrived, but filled quickly . The salads and entrees were excellent , service was great and well timed, the kitchen executed perfectly , no glitches at all. One of the best BYOBs we've been to in the area .Special Features:
- The following 152 reviews are from the Acacia of Lawrenceville reviews archive.
- LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 7/11/2014Three nice courses from the power menu were delicious. The cauliflower soup was excellent, as well as the monkfish, which I have had before, and both made a great combination for a summer lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014The new owner are doing a great job. Definitely good menu. Well prepared.Special Features:
- overweightdinnerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our first visit under the new owner/chef was a pleasant experience. Plating and composition were excellent. Food could use a bit more assertive seasonings. Seemed like every dish had one of the new 'in grains' as an accompaniment-maybe overkill. We will give it some time before a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have been dining at Acacia for more many years and this was perhaps one of our best experiences. Bread: extraordinary Soup: unusual but delicious (English pea soup) Salad: fresh, crisp with excellent salad dressing Entrees: filling Tea: replenished Sadly, no room for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Crab cakesLionmbDined on 6/11/2014Delicious crab cakes and salmon. The Asian pear salad was also very large and very good. Chef Chris came out to talk with us and it was a very enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Delicious DiningwineanddineVIPDined on 6/6/2014One of the best meals that I've had here (and that includes many). The English pea soup and monkfish made a perfect spring meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationKimboDined on 5/31/2014The food was tasty and the service was fine and accommodating but the prices are out of this world expensive. Beyond local town run business expense; crazy expensive. Luckily it's a BYOB. They were accommodating to the children by making them a bowl of pasta but it barely had 15 noodles in the bowl and only a dab of butter sauce. And all that for $9.00. Dessert was nothing special actually overally sweet. Dinner was delicious -we had the special but again insane pricing. Due to the pricing it's not a place you can frequent often.Special Features:
- Acacia has it all!PattyDined on 5/30/2014This is a great place to have lunch and dinner with family and friends. The food and service never disappoints. The staff provides friendly service to small and large groups I highly recommend Acacia for a dinner for two or for a celebration of a special event!Special Features:
- Good FoodSKYBLUEDined on 5/17/2014Food was good, I had duck and my husband had the NY strip, both were great. We had shrimp and grit for appetizer, it was OK. The grit was just different that what we usually have.Special Features:
- UnremarkablehardsellDined on 4/29/2014For a rainy Tuesday night, not unexpectedly, it was pretty quiet, only 5 other tables. Yet, the service was slow. Not sure if it was because there were only two servers or the kitchen was understaffed. Menu offerings were quite different from the online menu, which is not a tragedy but disappointing when the menu was rather limited. Pear salad was very nice, brisket just ordinary. Dining partner's beet risotto was unremarkable. Previous visits were much more enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Friday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 4/11/2014I made an excellent lunch on the black bean soup and the pork loin special. The meat was perfectly prepared and absolutely tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed resultsJerseyGirlVIPDined on 3/28/2014beet terrine - beautiful and delicious house salad - fresh, but looks like something you get at a diner fish special - perfect vegetarian selection - undercooked vegetables, missing wild mushrooms, sauce too sweet, button mushrooms added when mentioned, but they seem to think the customer can't tell the difference between a trumpet and a button mushroomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, but noisy.LocalResidentDined on 3/22/2014We enjoy Acacia occasionally, but never for a romantic, quiet evening out. The food is interesting, tasty and somewhat eclectic. But the acoustic aren't good and even though the restaurant was only half full, the noise level was annoying. We were at a small table crammed in next to a noisy party, and so left for dessert and coffee elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 3/14/2014Came in for a later lunch (2 pm) and found a quieter dining experience after some larger parties left. All in all, it was great food and great service without being rushed through the meal and the wine that I bought. It was a very nice way to end the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decidedly AverageJA1956Dined on 3/8/2014We last visited this restaurant when it was new, which was about 20 years ago. I recall thinking it was good at the time, but clearly we weren't blown away since we've never left the area but also never returned until last weekend. We won't be rushing back. We dined on a Saturday night at 8 pm. The place was about half full. I had a mixed grill special that I asked to be prepared medium rare. The duck was the right temperature, but the lamb and the beef were overdone. My wife had a salmon dish that is on the menu. It was prepared as she requested but in hindsight she probably erred asking for it medium rare; salmon tends to need more cooking. Overall, while nothing was particularly bad, it also wasn't good enough to get us to return.
- an enjoyable Birthday dinnergloriaDined on 3/8/2014We took our adult children and their partners to Acacia on a sat. night at 6 PM for a birthday dinner.We had a very friendly waitress and the food was overall delicious. Appetizers for the table were outstanding. We were rushed to order dinner too quickly without a reason. Everyone seemed to really enjoy their dinners which were presented beautifully. My order for sesame tuna came with scalloped sweet potatoes and asparagus. Unhappily, the meal was cool, even the potatoes & the tuna a little mushy. Desserts were absolutely fabulous! They did create a happy Birthday plate in chocolate drizzle which was very nice. I would definitely go back. This restaurant is expensive but offset by being a BYOB. Worth another trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Quality ExperienceJudyWVIPDined on 2/22/2014Our party of four booked an early table at Acacia prior to a Saturday evening concert at McCarter Theatre. We were seated promptly in a lovely corner table with additional cushions for comfort and back support. The service was very attentive without being excessive. Our appetizers of shrimp bisque and tuna tartar were quite tasty. The wild boar shank was a hit with the meat eaters in our group and the seared muscovy duck was perfectly done. The fish special was tasty, but not outstanding. The plate of three chocolate desserts was plenty for four to share and each one was delicious. A wonderful meal was enjoyed by all!Special Features:
- Lunch at AcaciawineanddineVIPDined on 2/21/2014I always enjoy my lunches (and the occasional dinner) at Acacia. I've found the soups and entrees always well-prepared and always very good to outstanding in their quality and originality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening as alwaysPhDTigressVIPDined on 2/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Acacia. We knew that it would be the perfect place for that occasion. The setting is intimate, the service is attentive and professional, and the cuisine is outstanding. We shared a tasty goat cheese and beet terrine to start, My husband enjoyed succulent short ribs. I almost never order chicken in a restaurant, but I was intrigued by the prosciutto-wrapped breast of chicken. The portion was generous and the flavor was delicious. A diner simply could not go wrong at Acacia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.