Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant
5842 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://abyssiniachicago.com/
- Phone: 7732717133
- Hours of Operation:
Friday: 10:00am - 11:30pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian
- Executive Chef: Aleganesh Bisrat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine
A word from Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant
When you're in the mood for good time and cuisine, be sure to check out Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant. Abyssinia is located in one of the area's most pleasant settings and is known for its delightful staff and superb cuisine. The menu at Abyssinia features a wide array of great selections, made from only the freshest and highest quality ingredients, with something sure to please every member of your group. Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant has established itself as one of the area's favorite culinary destinations and is sure to offer you a pleasant and unique dining experience every time you visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Inconsistent Service Really HurtsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Apparently, the restaurant stopped checking OpenTable reservations, as it was not aware of the reservation at all. The food was good as always but service was dreadful. It was short-handed and basically had no wait staff; just one of the cooks occasionally came out to check on patrons. Unfortunately, this person barely spoke English. Some patrons waited 10+ mins just to be seated and 30+ minutes just for the food to come out. There was another couple who were waiting 10+ mins just to get their check. And they ended up having to wait 30+ minutes more because the bill was tallied wrong and the refund was slow in coming. Food was good as always, but the restaurant really needs to be more consistent in terms of services.Special Features:
- absolutely amazing preparationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2012absolutely amazing preparation of the meat dishes associated with ethiopian food. truly memorable. the veggie dishes were more just average but still complimented the meat dishes well. only confusing part is that there is another ethiopian restaurant next door, and I think years ago when I went it was all abyssinia, which was more interesting.Special Features:
- Very great restaurant, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2012Very great restaurant, amazing food. One of my favorites. Cheap prices, service is very good, not outstanding, but the people are very friendly.Special Features:
- The service was just absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2012The service was just absolutely amazing. They were very accommodating and just overall great people. The food was great.Special Features:
- Great food, service was aWillDined on 5/19/2012Great food, service was a bit slow (only 1 staff member working the dining area).Special Features:
- Wonderful experience fromOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2012Wonderful experience from start to finish. The flavors were amazing. The service was welcoming and friendly. Our server explained the menu and was so very gracious and attentive. He seemed to truly want us to enjoy our meal and experience.
- Great food if you waitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2012Great food. Nice owners. Very slow service (even for Ethiopian food.)Special Features:
- This was my first EthiopianFuegofanDined on 3/31/2012This was my first Ethiopian food dining experience. The four of us were surprised that all of our food came on the same tray, where we just reach in with the injera and grab bites. It's an incredibly social way to eat. And the food is good, solid food. Just don't be looking for something exceptionally fancy. At 6:45 only two other tables were occupied. At 8:30 the place was full. It's BYOB, but they also have beer and wine available. Service was inconsistent in speed, but always very polite. Also, you can get gluten-free injera if you let them know an hour in advance, which was a big plus for us.Special Features:
- Not much in the way of decorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012Not much in the way of decor but the prices are very reasonable and the food was delicious. When I dined, I was one of only 3 tables but still didn't get the service I felt was warranted since there were few tablesSpecial Features:
- Food was really good, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2012Food was really good, although it took a little while longer than expected to get our appetizers. The service staff was really friendly
- Go, with time to spare. DependingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/6/2012Go, with time to spare. Depending on the night, it can be a long long long wait. But worth every minute.Special Features:
- Great service, great taste,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Great service, great taste, great value. Would highly recommend. Stands side by side with other similar establishments in the area.Special Features:
- Overrun by Small ChildrenGonzo70VIPDined on 12/6/2011Unfortunately we had to walk out of Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant a few minutes after we were seated as there were loud unsupervised small children running about the dining area. At one point one of the children began climbing on one of our chairs. I was disappointed as I love Ethiopian food and had heard good things about the food at this venue, but this was not an acceptable ambiance for a meal.
- A very unique dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011A very unique dining experience. We received fantastic service and a thorough explanation of the menu and all the items we weren't familiar with. Definitely worth the trip and will be eating there again in the future.
- The food was excellent, no-frillsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2011The food was excellent, no-frills food with good flavor.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2011I've been here twice and the food and service have been fantastic both times. Very affordable and BYOB. Great for a birthday party!!Special Features:
- I like Ras Dashen next doorOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/17/2011I like Ras Dashen next door better... this place is great for the low price and the BYOB. But I like the ambiance and energy at Ras Dashen - this place was super quiet. It took awhile to get our food... not sure if that means it's super fresh (we were one of two tables) or something else. The AC wasn't working all that well so we were pretty hot at 8pm on a 90 degree day... service is polite, but nothing to rave about. LOVE the BYOB. And again, the food is good. Just nothing life changing.Special Features:
- Highly recommended for BYOB.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/8/2011Highly recommended for BYOB. The food took a long time to arrive, and there seemed to be a lot of confusion with our order. The restaurant was not crowded- not much ambiance, food was good not great.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2011First time eating Ethiopian food; a good experience. The owner/manger was very warm and helpful with making choices from the fare.Special Features:
- We went at 5:30pm and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011We went at 5:30pm and it was quiet. Food was very good and service was excellent. Wait staff was very helpful in suggesting foods for us to try. We woulod go back again.