243 S. San Pedro St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toranokola.com/
- Phone: 2136219500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Hisaharu Kawabe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater large food events, company parties, private parties, community events, etc. We can provide anything from bento boxes to custom designed meals from our extensive menu by Chef Hisa.
Come in to try what the NY Post stated as the #1 dish you must try while in LA, Toranoko's own homemade Uni Goma Tofu or more adventurous and trusting diners can opt for chef Hisa's omakase menu. Check out all the artwork behind the sushi bar, mural brick wall, and on the bar top to add even more flavor to your dining experience.
- It was closed.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014I wish there had been better communication between the restaurant and OpenTable. We had multiple confirmations of our reservation but when we arrived at the restaurant it was closed for two days. Have a real bummer. Don't know if I will trust OpenTable again.
- paulVIPDined on 6/19/2014Service not existing. Had to find a menu ourselves. Sushi "chefs in training" missed some ingrediences, food was so-so.
- WILL RETURNTinaVIPDined on 5/22/2014WE ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE RESTAURANTS, WE CAN RETURN TO, AND ALWAYS GREETED WITH A SMILE FOOD ALWAYS IS FRESH AND LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE IN A MAGAZINE COVER , THANK YOU I SHALL RETURN SOONSpecial Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 5/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. First we had the somen salad, very tasty and refreshing on a very hot evening. The special raw seafood for the day selection was excellent, we tried the oysters and albacore with Japanese salsa. Incredibly fresh and tasty. The sushi assortment was was delicious and fresh also. Tried the rib eye sukiyaki, great dashi the only thing i wished for was a little more vegetables but it was great. We had a very interesting dessert of sesame ice cream with orange jello. Very clever how the jello was in the orange shell. Overall it was a great dinner, we will have to return again soon.Special Features:
- good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2014sushi is very good, but sumiyaki is so-so. it was busy the night we went.
- Mama Musubi pop-up.LorenaDined on 3/7/2014Efficient and excellent service, food and atmosphere. Mid-range price point perfect for happy hour and business meetings. The Mama Musubi pop-up added to the menu without drawing away from the fresh assortment offered on main menu. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Modern Sushi RestaurantYumyumDined on 2/21/2014Toranoko is our new favorite sushi restaurant. The sushi is delicious and rich and they offer a nice selection with different specials available every week. We sat at the sushi bar and ordered straight from the chefs, who will play around with the sushi (add a little yuzu kosho here, some tasty sauce there, etc) and make it unique and interesting. Their egg custard appetizer is SO GOOD. This is a hip, modern kind of restaurant so it's great for a group of friends to visit (I've seen them put a bunch of tables together so large groups can fit).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a bit of edgejmgraceDined on 2/14/2014There are a ton of great sushi spots in Little Tokyo, but this is one of the few with a bit of edgie ambiance. They also have a bunch of breat apps and tapas items in addition to sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little CrazyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014I will start off with saying that we went on Valentine's Day and it was very busy, and it was a little crazy. The staff was great, it was just a little slow and they kept getting our table mixed up with another so we kept getting food we didn't order. That being said, we would ABSOLUTELY come back again and plan too. The staff was great, the restaurant had a really great vibe about it and the food was really, really good. It is hard to find Nasu Miso done well, but theirs was perfection and the chicken meatballs are a must try. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Poor service spoils ValentinesLifeform86Dined on 2/14/2014Went in with minimal expectations, but a decent dinner for two on Valentines. The spot was clearly mismanaged and as a higher-end modernized Japanese fusion restaurant plus being where it is in Little Tokyo I thought it would be able to handle a med. packed night. To be clear to food from the scallop appetizer to sushi rolls, the overall food was decent, but with no greeter in front to acknoledge us and the lack to organized management our food quality was overshadowed by one of the worst services I have experiened in years. I even had my last roll come out 30 mins. after our previous dish. Not worth the wait. I think I will stick to the more traditional Japanese restaurants down the street from here.
- Heavenly deliciousFoodie4evaDined on 2/14/2014I want to announce that I have broken up with my previous sushi spot. Delicious food and sexy drinks. All the elements set the pace for a perfect night. This place is great for dates with its romantic urban chic ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing First Time ExperienceColbyVIPDined on 2/12/2014Everything from the service, food, drinks, and location was perfect. We had such a good night. Thank you to the entire staff for making it an awesome night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I SHALL BE BACKTinaVIPDined on 1/30/2014ENJOYED AND OUTSTANDING FOOD SERVICE OUTSTANDING FOOD AMAZING I WAS SUPER IMPRESSED FRESH SUSHI WAS SERVED WITH A EXPAINATION FROM ALL THAT CAME WITH A SMILE THANK YOU I SHALL RETURN ****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very warm and friendly --TomBVIPDined on 1/29/2014Very warm and friendly -- there are two booths which are very comfortable and we got one. Parking is around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was in LA and wanted toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/16/2014I was in LA and wanted to take my son out for sushi. I thought Little Tokyo would be the best location and was very impressed by your restaurant. We had a great server Thursday evening and especially loved the presentation of the Salmon Egg Sashimi. The squid ink risotto with clams was a creative asian fusion dish and we loved it. Also one of the best Saketinis I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The young man with all theTexasDined on 12/18/2013The young man with all the Tattoos. He was great and had great conversation we came from Houston,TX my two best friends and I and we just had a ball with him....matter of fact it was our first day in LA so that set your week off right Thank You!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Izakaya!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/16/2013Angelinos: make this great izakaya on the outskirts of Little Tokyo your next go to downtown Japanese spot. Great menu (love the buta kakuni) and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly place!SylsalDined on 11/30/2013Very friendly place! No barrier between customers and sushi chefs makes for wonderful chatter about beautiful food. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Great ServiceanahannahDined on 11/2/2013Went with a group of four and ordered the chirashi bowl, sashimi plate, kobe corn dogs. miso marinated cod, seared yellowtail and shrimp ceviche. Everything was really tasty. The only negative comment is that the ceviche was a bit oily and a very small portion for $5. it was listed on the happy hour menu, although it's the same price as on the regular menu. It was a bit slow for a Saturday night but we ended up getting great service from the wait staff. I've already recommended it to a friend and will go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Fresh FishSadiaSatoDined on 10/12/2013We did an Omakasi with head chef Seiji and it was wonderful. Everything was so fresh and tasty. Our first time here and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodil2eVIPDined on 10/5/2013The food is out of this world. Service at the table was spotty and inconsistent. Waiter forgot several orders and would disappear although the restaurant was almost empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!il2eVIPDined on 10/1/2013The food is amazing. I sat at the sushi bar and Chef Seiji Nakano himself prepared the food. It was a truly wonderful experience. Chef Seiji Nakano is very detailed and has a great sense of humor. Loved every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi happiness!!!!CJ0722Dined on 9/28/2013First let me just note that they have Supporo on tap case (awesome)! I went there on a date and the environment was claim and the advice was above my expectations. I would recommend this place for meet and greets and couples dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place with syrprisesakragnessDined on 9/20/2013This restaurant is one that I consider a treat to go to. I have been there twice each time with very different specials than the previous. The seafood is wonderful and has a great quality to it. They have different dishes everyday and during seasons which makes the food really fresh. The service was amazing in both cases. The servers were very polite and helpful with advice on what is the unique thing to get that day. We met the owner our first time and he took care of most the decisions for our food. He did an amazing job with ordering for us. My girlfriend and I know our seafood and are very picky, but he was able to enlighten us with what was special to his restaurant that day which made our experience better than what we were thinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushiWeipangDined on 8/29/2013We sat at the sushi bar and asked chef Seiji for the omakase (chef's choice). The ingredients were amazingly delicious an fresh, probably one of the best sushi experiences I've had. Chef Seiji served sushi with homemade soy sauce, and just the right rice/fish ratio, it was perfect. Service was great as well.Special Features:
- Hidden secretOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2013Small establishment, but not that small. Perfect evening with our group. Very quiet inside. Not crowded at all, quality of the sushi was very good. Prices are moderate. Overall I was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Great spot. The food is verySantianaVIPDined on 7/17/2013Great spot. The food is very good with some Peruvian influences. Great flavors!Special Features:
- Interesting Fusion Cooked FoodsJennyVIPDined on 7/11/2013I would recommend staying away from their traditional raw sushi items and stick with their fusion creations. Their raw items are a bit fishy. I had their sushi and carpaccio, and the sushi was pretty horrid. The carpaccio was ok, drenched in olive oil though. They might have been trying to hide the fishiness of the fish with olive oil. But onto their fusion food, their uni tofu is amazing if you love uni. The salsa that they put on the salmon skewers are pretty tasty. And their spicy salmon was addicting. Stick to fusion and you're good to go. Ambiance is worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great tasting dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2013had a great tasting dinner with Travelzoo certificate. The food was great, first time tasting homemade tofu, good and creamy, didn't recognized it as tofu. Service was attendive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IzakayaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2013Really enjoyed our dinner at Toranoko. The fish was very good and the small plates for happy hour also. We will be back.Special Features:
- Funky, Urban JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/15/2013I purchased a certificate on TravelZoo for a 5 course meal for two. This was an AMAZING deal. The food is DELICIOUS, flavorful, fresh, vibrant and it was a VERY generous portion. The staff was super friendly and attentive. It's also has super funky urban vibe but is pleasantly not too loud. I will be back and would DEFINITELY recommend it.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2013I went to this place using a Travelzoo deal, $58 for a supposedly $158 dinner for two and i find that the dinner is worth more like $58 than $158. The quality of the fish/meat were very ordinary. The cooking was not special either. I don't think i like to go back.
- a delightful findeatforfourDined on 6/12/2013the assorted fish carpaccio is so fresh and tasty we are coming back every week just for it:)Special Features:
- Delicious bento box lunchJackVIPDined on 6/10/2013Delicious bento box lunch special. Lunch special was terrific deal for the price. Service was attentive. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the Chef's ChoiceJoeyDined on 6/8/2013We enjoyed the Chef's Choice five course dinner at Aburiya Toranoko. The food was imaginative, fresh and impressive. The service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese stylekobebombDined on 6/4/2013Very good. Went for lunch. I like the fact that Toranoko is bringing high Japanese standards of great food, knowledge, service, and atmosphere. I'll be back to try dinner and more drinks next time. I did not give it 5 stars just because there is always room and desire to improve.Special Features:
- A mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2013While there were some standout flavors — an especially fresh shrimp ceviche, and decent cocktails — on balance our meal just wasn't anything special. Being big fans of the Lazy Ox next door, we we had high expectations, but were rather disappointed. The idea of the restaurant is fantastic, but the food was pretty bland and uninspired. If they can improve the level of cuisine, it'll be a fantastic spot...Special Features:
- Great food, serviceBarchellDined on 6/1/2013Fish carpaccio was our favorite, but everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BEST deals everOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2013One of the BEST deals ever for TravelZoo in Los Angeles. Apparently Wed nights are 50% off. Worth the trip downtown. Food amazing and prepared with care. Sashimi delish. Happy hour delights might be enough for those need early evening food and libations! Parking is metered until 8pm.Special Features:
- Another gem from CardenasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/14/2013What can I say that hasn't been said? Thank you for creating a great casual but fancy enough sushi spot without the over the top little Tokyo cookie cutter atmosphere. It's a sweet little spot for a date, friends, and neighborhood spot. Prices are decent, foods is fantastic and chefs are top rate. And above all they've got options!!! So you can bring the sushi shy person and they won't starve in fact they will be very happy o know there are plenty of meats on sticks that are yummy! Thanks again MC you rock my manSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.