Above the Salt
305 S. Mill St.
Aspen, CO 81611Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Above the Salt
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 9705443399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Geno Gulotta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Above the Salt
Rustic Italian fare served in a hip, urban setting with a taste of the old world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Above the Salt reviews from OpenTable diners
- Bar, Disco or Restaurant?DeliciousDined on 9/1/2013I thought this was an Italian Restaurant. That's only half of the business. The other half is a bar (indoors and out) with VERY LOUD obnoxious music! I asked the greeter if they could turn it down, as we wanted an enjoyable dinner. We had TWO speakers facing our table! When the next person came to our table I told her that the music was TOO LOUD. She moved us to a "quieter" table - oxymoron. The THIRD lady finally got the music turned down and a miracle happened - people stopped shouting and could actually hear one another! Amazing! The pizza was very good as were the salads. I guess if you want relaxing ambiance, you have to stay home.Special Features:
- A must in AspenenjoysgoodfoodDined on 8/23/2013A great place for a delicious meal in an energetic and casual environment. The food was very flavorable. Soup hot, salad cold and crisp. Enjoyed is thoroughly and will hit is again on our return to Aspen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good but not great....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013Service and ambiance were great, and the menu looked good but taste was just a bit above average. I had the soup special (tomato and roasted fennel), which tasted more like canned soup, and the veal scallopini which were ok. Friends had the short rib pizza (spicy and tasty but I've had better), and one of the pasta dishes (cant recall the name, like puttanesca but different) which I did not taste but they loved. wine list was good and reasonably priced byAspen standards. I would to back,especially if someone else was paying :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKbillDined on 7/26/2013Food was good. Nicely dressed salad. Entre good flavors. In attentive service. Not crowded.Special Features:
- service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/20132nd time at this restaurant. 1st time was for dinner in the winter, food was good, and our waiter was chatty and helpful, but place was not at all busy or bustling. 2nd time was summer, where we sat outside. We asked about the medium pizza and the waitress actually said "it's like what you would get at Dominoes." She didn't bring bread or water after requested, forgot a side dish (which never came). Was clearing our plates and left them on the corner of our table when other dishes arrived. Basically service was terrible with long waits between courses. Meals arrived looking like they'd been ready for a long time and forgotten. Maybe they were understaffed that evening. On a positive note the bruschetta was good.Special Features:
- Pasta missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2013Ordered "gluten free" lamb bolognese and while pasta may have been gluten free, the sauce was not. Furthermore, vegetable pasta with leeks was not appealing at all in terms of taste. Needs some definite work on these dishes, and proper advertising of them for health conscious consumers.
- Surprised and disappointedjledetVIPDined on 6/29/2013The place has a lot going for it but the dishes we got were underwhelming. The bruschetta was practically inedible: they tried to cram way too much onto the bread: pesto, cheese, balsamic vinegar. No point in making simple things overly complex.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2013Food and service were spectacular! We all loved it and we are looking forward to coming in again when we are back in Aspen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was moderatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013The restaurant was moderately full but the staff and kitchen could not get their act together. They were paralyzed by a large party and therefore service to our party of 4 suffered dramatically. Does it really take 1 hour to get salads? We voiced our concerns which were met with apologies and complimentary desserts. The food is good, but is it worth another visit? The jury is still out.
- A fun place to have dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2013A fun place to have dinner. It is a cozy spot with small tables and small chairs. The Veal was delicious.
- We were thrilled with ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2013We were thrilled with our choice. The food was great (except for the dessert which was okay), our waiter was adorable and, for Aspen, the prices were pretty good.Special Features:
- Did not meet my price expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2013Did not meet my price expectations of a $$ restaurant. Averaged $40 per person not including salads or appetizers. Food was good. It was not overpriced for the quality of the food/location, but we were looking for a more affordable dining spot.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a great dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Enjoyed a great dinner at About the Salt. Fantastic service, fun ambiance and great food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Ambiance was so-so and toOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/6/2013Ambiance was so-so and to be honest I was thinking that the food would also be so-so. I was pleasantly surprised though. The food was very good as was the service.
- Food was way too salty thiswinetasterVIPDined on 2/28/2013Food was way too salty this time. Taking the name a bit too literally.
- Was so looking forward tofinediningVIPDined on 2/25/2013Was so looking forward to this dinner and was very disappointed. We were seated in a section off from the main menu so didn't feel a vibe. Salad had too much salad dressing and the entree was too salty. They accommodated it, which helped, but overall experience was disappointing. Gelato wasn't even creamy.
- Service was fair, never toldshoremavenDined on 2/25/2013Service was fair, never told about specials. Had to ask for ice twice, ordered the meat appetizer and was not given any plates. Asked about the frutta de mare and was told it was in a tomato based broth and it was in heavy tomato sauce. Not one of my favorites in Aspen. Was pricey for what was offered. Ordered a beer and was given the happy hour menu. When it came time to pay, was told oh no that's the happy hour price.Special Features:
- Delish food, welcoming atmosphereDenverFoodieDined on 2/22/2013I needed a place to go in Aspen that wasn't OVER THE TOP expensive (hard to find in Aspen) but still delicious. After looking at some reviews, this sounded like a good option. I'm so glad I tried it. The restaurant is cozy, laid back and welcoming. I saw people dressed up for a night on the town, and people in fresh off-the-slopes attire. I had the acorn squash ravioli with braised rabbit and my husband had the short ribs and they were both amazing. The table next to us got a pizza and it smelled delicious. I'd love to try it next time I go (and there will be a next time).Special Features:
- Missed the mark of greatnessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013We booked a reservation; when we arrived we had to wait awkwardly by the door amidst diners. No one was there to seat us for about 5 minutes. We were left wondering if we were in right place (while servers milled around us). We were finally seated at a tight two person table by the back entrance (which was a little frosty when door opened to let people in/out). Bar scene around the corner seemed happening; but didn't feel part of it as seated around the el in restaurant. Server very good. Food good as well. The guy who delivered it to our table, however, unceremoniously plopped it down; he didn't bother to arrange all the knick-knacks on the tiny table to put the appetizer in the middle. If I were to go back, might do things differently.
- Delightful people but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/26/2012Delightful people but the food just isn't very good.
- I wasn't impressed with theDeborahVIPDined on 12/25/2012I wasn't impressed with the winter menu and it didn't have enough variety for vegetarian options. I had the carbanara and i was hoping for a trafitional fettuccini. it jad too many ingrdients amd the sauce was liquidy. The summer menu is healthier and has more variety, plus it's nice to sit outside. The staff is very accommodating and pleasant.
- Excellent food & service!JohnVIPDined on 12/24/2012Excellent food & service! Christmas Eve was very special ( and tasty) thanks to you good folks!Special Features:
- Bring your jacket and scarves!PrescottVIPDined on 11/25/2012Great food, but terribly cold and without heat in most dining room areas.Special Features:
- A review is difficult as itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2012A review is difficult as it was a very quiet night--the food was of reasonable standard--I have had better italian meals. Expensive but it was Aspen after all!!Service was goodSpecial Features:
- A great location, attentiveKAL47VIPDined on 9/10/2012A great location, attentive waitstaff, interesting curated wine list, and good variety of menu items. We had a bottle of wine and split a pizza and watched the Aspen crowd stroll by.Special Features:
- NataliaSeasons52VIPDined on 9/6/2012We decided to try this restaurant, it wasn't crowded when we're there but we wanted to try it anyways because opentable listed it. We weren't really hungry but we want to try the food in Aspen so my fiance and I ordered one pasta dish for him and salad for me. The waitress took the liberty to split our order and charged us more at the end. We didn't say anything however it would've been nice for the waitress to check with us first. The pasta and salad were good, but we were not too happy for the service.Special Features:
- Over priced as is everythingMofltDined on 8/22/2012Over priced as is everything in Aspen... But even more so for what you get.Special Features:
- Loved the outdoor seating.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/17/2012Loved the outdoor seating. Great location in the center of aspenSpecial Features:
- We had an incredible mealPickyeaterDined on 8/14/2012We had an incredible meal with a great server. Sitting outside made our experience perfect! The meal was very reasonable and we would definitely go back! The pork tenderloin and veal scaloppine are must haves.Special Features:
- Great food, service and ambiance.CherieDined on 7/26/2012Great food, service and ambiance. We ate outside. The tapanades we ordered with the bread were great.Special Features:
- Try this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2012Friendly, great food & service...will definitely return soon...Special Features: