Above Restaurant and Bar
1 South Orange Ave
South Orange, NJ 07079Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Above Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aboverestaurantbar.com/
- Phone: 9737622683
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday Lunch: 11:00 - 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Hours: Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am- 1:30am, Sunday: 11:30am - Midnight Late Night Menu available Tuesday- Sunday 10:00pm- Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Catalano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available. Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Above has a private dining space equipped for groups of 20-40 people.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager Mario LaVecchia 9737622683
- Entertainment: Live music Friday Nights http://www.aboverestaurantbar.com/up-coming-events for more details.
- Special Events: Please visit http://www.aboverestaurantbar.com/up-coming-events for more information
- Cross Street: Valley St. / Scotland Rd.
- Public Transit: South Orange train stop via NJ Transit Montclair Branch, Morristown Line & Gladstone Branch. Station is directly across the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Free parking at rear of building. Complementary Valet service provided Friday & Saturday evenings.
A word from Above Restaurant and Bar
Above Restaurant & Bar is a contemporary American eatery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Above Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (7)good for groups (7)special occasion (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Varied and goodpairof8sVIPDined on 9/24/2014Above has a diverse menu and everything is really good. The fish is cooked perfectly, lamb burger was delicious, pulled pork mac & cheese didn't appeal to me visually but was a big hit at the table. Cocktails are large and the wait staff is outstanding. Above is dependable and you can usually find a table even on a busy night.......Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Been here before, won't go backOnebadexperienceDined on 9/12/2014I'm an out of tower who goes to Above 2-3 times a year with in town friends. Service, food, and drinks have always been good to excellent. Not on 9/12/14! Seated promptly for 7 PM reservation. Went downhill from there: I ordered whiskey manhattan; was served a bourbon one, and up charged for premium bourbon brand. Mushroom soup was excellent; lobster mac&cheese had NO lobster in it, just a 2 oz burnt, dried out tail perched on top (maybe from waiting under the warming lights for an hour?). Never saw waiter after he served drinks; food served by another server. No one asked us for dessert/coffee order. We had to ask hostess to get our bill. She apologized. This one horrendous experience has probably put all of us "off"returning to Above.Special Features:
- poor service, adequate foodPortiaVIPDined on 8/25/2014On a Monday afternoon at lunch, with few tables filled, the service was slow and haphazard. It took far too long for our orders to be taken. The food, when it came, was fine though nothing special, and the coffee was awful. We saw the waiter again when he brought the check. The only thing the place has going for it is the fact that there are few places to have lunch on a Monday.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I was surprised that the menu was so extensive. Quality was good. We sat outdoors - in the non smoking area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneGreatfoodfindDined on 8/2/2014I was amazed at how big the menu was. I figured there was no way they could do everything well. But each of us at our dinner got something different and all loved our meals. Outdoor seating was an unexpected bonus as well. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedmanDined on 7/16/2014Nice local spot- food is good and sitting outdoors during summer (roof top) is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceLadydVIPDined on 7/6/2014I keeping coming back to the Above Reataurant because the food and service is so great. You can't go wrong picking the Above for lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 473 reviews are from the Above Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Service was terrible. Waiter seemed uninterested. Restaurant was not crowded at all and we still waiting a long time to be seated (even with our reservation) and to have our order taken. Food was very good, and a nice menu, but probably would not go back just because of the service.Special Features:
- CarlitoDined on 5/11/2014This is just one of the most magical, convenient and delicious places that I have ever dined at. And even though he wasn't my waiter, Daniel was there to greet me and take a minute out to have a laugh with me and wish my wife a Happy Mother's Day. I come there and see the same staff and it is such a comfort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing & DistastefulSonofSouthOrangeMumDined on 5/11/2014On Mother's Day, 6 of us had lunch: my mother, sister, brother, my wife and our son. 3 generations of my family. It was a VERY disappointing experience. We were seated, got our menus. It went downhill from there. We weren't served bread. We asked for lemon for our water, and got five wedges. Entrees were served, and no one asked about fresh pepper or grated cheese. We had to ask someone (not our waiter) for them. My brother's fries were nearly raw. No one came over to the table to see how things were, or if we needed anything else. My brother was upset. My sister was upset. My wife was upset. We've been to Above before, for Mother's Days and for Thanksgiving, and the experience has never been so poor. I'm disappointed and shocked.
- Bruncheon HolidayCmannconsoDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day, we had a delightful brunch on the spacious outdoor patio. A beautiful day and good food. They have 4-5 different kinds of eggs Benedict as one of the many choices and we got three of them. One order of bread pudding for dessert was delicious and sufficient. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014love this place! great, food, vibe, and location. Can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Day-1 Fan!foodieyaz3Dined on 5/7/2014I've gone to ABOVE many times since it opened. The menu has many options and reasonably priced. The ambiance is superior to any of local restaurants in South Orange. I am a huge fan of this restaurant - perfect for any occasion. I am excited that summer is coming so I can have a romantic patio dinner/lunch with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Enjoyed the food and the place itself Will returnSpecial Features:
- exceeded my expectationshb13Dined on 5/3/2014I've read many so-so or negative reviews, that I was a little concerned about dining here. The atmosphere is impressive and the food was very good. Not sure why all the negative reviews. The fish tacos, sushi and beet salad were all delicious and presentation was excellent. Sushi was very fresh. Entree portions were very large. The talapia and asparagus were delicious, though the rice was a bit undercooked. The mini canoli were yummy as well. Our server was friendly, but could have been a little more professional in his delivery. Not sure if this one waiter was indicative of everyone though. But, that didn't really detract from the experience. All in all we will definitely return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceBasiaDined on 4/25/2014First time here- loved the food and the host staff and the decor- but our waiter was awful- he seemed to be bothered or not care that he was there and he wasn't attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, good food, but....TDPEACHESDined on 4/16/2014My daughter had the Branzino and was pleased with the fish, said rice was gooey. My rack of lamb was cooked perfectly. Mother had the salmon and found it moist and flavorful. Portions were ample. The wine was good and I enjoyed a delicious chocolate martini. Appetizers were good. We had an enjoyable meal. Criticism is with the service. We felt rushed by our waiter the who went home while we finished our desserts and coffee. The restaurant closes at 10. He was gone by 9:35. A 20% gratuity was automatically added to our check The service wasn't 20% service except for that of the young lady who was the bus person. We're not crying about tipping...just the arbitrary and mandatory way it was handled. Not sure about returning.Special Features:
- Bar food only!ralper7447Dined on 4/12/2014Based on our experience, I'd say, stick with the bar food -- that way you won't be disappointed by the good-sounding but poorly cooked entree-type food.Special Features:
- Big SurpriseBGHLPCDined on 4/11/2014We had eaten here a few years ago and it was pretentious. The management was also disappointing This time around we found the menu very diversified and choices for all tastes and budget. One negative. The waiter clears dishes before everyone is finished dining. Management should know better. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better each time I go.casanitaVIPDined on 4/6/2014The first time I went to Above, I was underwhelmed. However, since then, I've tried it a few times and the food has been quite good as was the service. I would go there more if they had better wine prices. We are spoiked here with so many BYO great restaurants, and their wine list is very high.Special Features:
- The kitchen needs workNosoap1Dined on 3/28/2014Greeting was pleasant, ambience was pleasant too, and the service could not have been better, BUT-- The food was very pedestrian, even mediocre. Drinks were decent sized and well prepared (one Perfect Manhattan, one Gin Martini). Then came the food. The bread was fresh, but pretty tasteless, with an almost firm crust. Empanada appetizer was 3 1/2 stars (shared). Beet salad very good. Large crab cake was very fishy -- inedible -- returned, and credited on check. Special of Beef Balsamica (sp?) was just OK. A little too sweet for my taste; mashed potatoes bland; spinach overcooked (tasted as though it had been sitting in a hot tray -- a waste of good spinach). Pricey, for what you get. An upgrade in culinary skill would help.
- Above: Below expectations.NicholasNameDined on 3/22/2014Watery cocktails, inattentive waiter, overpriced mediocre food, somewhat loud, and cheap placemats and utensils. On the surface, Above looks like a nice spot for a romantic dinner, excellent food or a classy night out but it's just a facade. The menu is too vast for the kitchen to master each dish and present it properly. The entrees are $5 overpriced for what you are served.
- Great findARR3VIPDined on 3/21/2014Very good food and service made for a wonderful dinner. The only negative- parking - but that's for the entire town. On the flip side it's next to the NYC train - this is good. We will returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014The food was decent but not worth the price we paid for it. Also, I would say the service was poor, but really it was just the waiter. The staff bussing tables, filling water, etc. were very attentive. I had heard great things about this place but wasn't all that impressed.Special Features:
- A solid BraydsrDined on 2/28/2014Nothing particularly special about the food or service. It feels like an upscale hotel restaurant in the lobby.Special Features:
- Nice findFernVIPDined on 2/28/2014We searched for a restaurant to have dinner before a show at the SOPAC. Decided on Above because of the reviews and it's proximity to the venue. We were very please with our choice. Food and service were great! We will definitely make our way back when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing aopetizers!LindaDined on 2/22/2014Struggling to narrow the apps down for our group of four, we opted for own little "cocktail party" dinner. Six apps (and a few cocktails" made a great dinner for us. The "sun and moon" and lobster salad sushi appetizers are a must for any sushi lovers.Special Features:
- Awesome TimeTruffleMasterDined on 2/9/2014Upon our arrival, we decided to sit in the bar area instead of table in the dining room, it was a great choice, the high top chairs at the bar were super comfortable and our server Lisa was Fantastic! She was perfect and on top of everything, she got me what I needed before I had to ask, super attentive. The food was incredible, loved the Arugula Salad, French Onion Soup, and the Short Rib Ragu was out of this world! The only suggestion I would make is that the portions were enormous! I was full on soup and salad before my entree came out, although very reasonably priced considering how much food came out. The creme Brulee sugar top was done correctly, however the custard underneath was a little too thin. If you go, ask for Lisa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableKatieVIPDined on 1/25/2014Above is always great. The food is a step above the usual fare and they have a great drinks menu as well. Dessert is always a highlight so save room. Great outside when it is warm as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good timesLadydVIPDined on 1/20/2014I have been to this restaurant on numerous occasions and I am never disappointed. There is a nice variety of food for every tat. I love their scallops dish as well as their hamburgers and their salads are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ambiance were great!LynnDined on 1/19/2014Food and ambiance were great! Would go back for the indoor and outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2014Fantastic ambiance - spacious and very pleasant atmosphere. Food is generally good but not great. Waiter was uncertain of choices on menu and needed training. Despite the problems, it's a very nice place to dine and hang out. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Orange HighlightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2014Beautiful bar & restaurant with upscale food & serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fair, tried to beOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/4/2014Food was fair, tried to be too much of an "everything" restaurant (sushi and pizza on the menu!) and was just OK overall.
- Consistently good!locayokelDined on 12/27/2013We tried some different things this visit - their sushi special was delicious - very fresh and well seasoned! Salads as always were chilled, fresh and delicious. Great service, we enjoyed our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This visit lived up to ourCJSWDined on 12/13/2013This visit lived up to our expectations. Significant improvement from our last visit three weeks ago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateCarolftwinDined on 12/3/2013I took my parents to Above for their 53rd wedding anniversary. We were seated promptly and our waiter wished my parents a happy anniversary. I never thought anyone read the notes placed on the reservation. We order sangria and it was one of the best red sangria I ever had. It wasn't watered down although it had lots of nice. Food was very good too. I am vegetarian and it was great to see I had an option too. It was the perfect local place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, needs windowshadesSonofSouthOrangeMumDined on 11/28/20133rd Thanksgiving visit. 4 of 5 of us had holiday menu. Butternut squash soup and mushroom bisque excellent. Potato gnocchi a bit dry, sauce delicious. Entree excellent: dark and light meat juicy, mashed sweet potatoes sublime, roasted asparagus and stuffing good. Gravy quite good, cranberry sauce fine. Desserts not as good: ice crystals in pumpkin gelato, pumpkin pie fine. Coffee lukewarm, milk cold. Overall, we enjoyed the meal. Two negatives: setting sun was directly in my eyes as we reached end of the meal, and the restaurant does not have window shades (!). ½way through our meal, another family sat next to us, and proceeded to speak in a very high volume (nothing restaurant can do about that). Pretty room, can get loud. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!locayokelDined on 11/16/2013Had dinner for 3 on Saturday night - they were very busy, but you always feel well attended to. The service is excellent, always refilling your water glass and checking to see if everything is OK. The appetizers came out quickly, and dinner was excellent! The stuffed lobster special was great, as was the Sea bass. Their salads are always fresh. Daniel, our server, was great, friendly and pleasant. This is one of our new favorite places to go for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable!TishieDined on 11/16/2013Have been to Above many times for lunch and brunch and always happy with the menu selections, food quality and service. gnThis was the first time we tried it for dinner. Our party of six was seated in a comfortable corner booth and everyone was quite pleased with their choices for dinner. Cocktail menu was an inventive delight. Portion sizes are quite generous and the service was just as attentive on this busy Saturday evening as it had been for lunch and brunch thanks to our server, Joe. The only negative was that the noise level was higher, likely because the restaurant was completely full. However, it was not like some places where you cannot hear yourself think. All in all, a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.