Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
4 Hartford Road
Simsbury, CT 06089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.abigailsgrill.com/
- Phone: 860-264-1580
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Sean Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Abigail's room on the first floor is a private room available for parties up to 20 guests. Other semi private rooms are available for groups up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Markus Lehofer 860-264-1580
A word from Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
The original Pettibone’s Tavern, on Hartford Road in Simsbury, was built in 1780 for Jonathan Pettibone Jr., whose father, Jonathan Pettibone, had been killed in the fighting around New York in 1776. The Tavern served as a stagecoach stop on the Boston to Albany Turnpike and was also a meeting place where Capt. Elisha Phelps met with Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys to plan the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The original tavern was burned to the ground by Indians in 1800, but was soon rebuilt and reopened in 1803. In more recent times, the tavern has been a restaurant. It was purchased by the Chart House chain in the 1970s, but under new ownership became known as Pettibone’s Tavern again. In January, the building was damaged after a fire activated the sprinkler system. Today, Abigail's has been completely restored and the restaurant has reopened under new ownership. Come and enjoy our extensive menu of creative continental cuisine and a welcoming New England atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)great for outdoor dining (67)romantic (63)fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (39)notable wine list (34)great for brunch (32)good for groups (24)scenic view (17)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great evening diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Took my wife here for her 60th birthday. She loved every detail from food, service, to ambiance. I would highly recommend caping it off with the peach berry pie for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Great place, but the noise level takes away from a 5 star rating! Difficult to carry on a normal conversation.Special Features:
- Amazing!KrisCDined on 8/22/2014We absolutely loved everything we ate, and our server was excellent-very attentive but not pushy. She allowed us to take our time with our appetizers and cocktails before bringing our entrees. Highly recommend the cheese plate-it is huge and could easily have been shared by 4 people instead of 2! Steaks were cooked perfectly and entree sizes were very generous. Pricey but well worth it!Special Features:
- One of our favorites!Selective1Dined on 8/15/2014We love Abigail's! It is one of our "go to" places which never disappoints!Special Features:
- Nice place... Few snags thoughWritbywhittDined on 8/15/2014Excellent ambiance.. But very loud! Food was excellent. Prices are high especially for kids meals. Mine wasn't hot either. But very tasty! Went there with a group on they didn't accept. I guess the fine print said not available on weekends.. They made no attempt to work with me on that. Not like they were hurting for business!!! I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Second ExperiencemiaminativeVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had a very enjoyable meal here on all accounts recently and looked forward to returning. This time although 55 degrees outside, the air conditioning was blasting and the noise level was so loud we could not hear each other talk.. An order of Shrimp Scampi tasted fine but came with just 3 lonely shrimp, and the sides the server recommended which came with a grilled steak were not at all as the menu described. We ate quickly since it was so cold and noisy and skipped coffee/dessert. A key factor to a restaurant's success is consistency, which sadly Abigail's was not able to sustain. We will not return.
- SWMomDined on 8/14/2014Great place to celebrate our anniversary. Attentive but not intrusive service, great meal, good wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeSteaklover1Dined on 8/13/2014Delicious meal as always. Impeccable quality. Well versed staff on all questions asked. Not afraid to make recommendations. The old adage of you get what you pay for comes to mind. Not a place to grab a quick bite because the kids had soccer practice. We have found it to be more of a special occasion kind of place and have even turned our friends on to it. Never a bad time or meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantBobPlainvilleCTDined on 8/12/2014Abigails was recommended by a friend to try. decided to take wife there for her birthday. Was greeted at door with smiling faces. Had ordered flowers through opentable and they were on the table when seated. Our waitress, Rachael, can right to the table when we were seated and wished her a Happy Birthday. Serve was more than expected. Excellent job goes to Rachael and the kitchen staff. Serve of food was at a great pace. Not rushed or slow because the restaurant was full. Food was delicious. Had raw seafood as appetizer, dinner was pork and red fish. Both excellently prepared and presented. Desert was to die for.Would recommend for any occasion. The only complaint that I would have is the the hostess was dressed in inappropriate shorts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abigail's is goodctpwDined on 8/11/2014This is a solid choice for a meal. Outside seating though close to the road is still quite enjoyable. The food is good but not inspiring and the core menu items haven't changed much in years. Wine prices are too high for the quality available. strawberry shortcake dessert was awful, coffee flan was delicious, red fish nouvelle which they have had for years is very good. Set menu is a good value. regular menu needs some dusting off.Special Features:
- Dinner 8-10-2014sassy2013Dined on 8/10/2014Abigals has become our best dining. Surprisingly , my steak that night came out very rare/raw to a point and my husband asked for bowties and he received flat ribbon pasta. The waitress quickly made every thing great......or we thought.....the asparagus were cold. ??? Once again the waitress made the corrections. Our waitress was the best and to top the night off had put a candle in Rons strawberry shortcake as it was his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BummerOhioFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I are new to Connecticut and Abigail's has been suggested by several people...so we had to try it. After the bread & salad course things were looking pretty impressive, so I was excited to dig into the entree & main course. The crab cakes were dry (possibly the waitresses fault since they sat under the warmer for quite some time) and the bland pasta sauce made the entree more of a soup. Service was slow and very inattentive - waitress totally forgot to bring our coffee with our dessert. Also, I mentioned when I made the reservation that it was a birthday celebration and not a single "happy birthday" from anyone. Abigail's was fair at best, but we try to give restaurants a second chance...will keep you posted.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great service, happy people, superb food, and nice outdoor environment.Special Features:
- Our first timemmadvVIPDined on 8/2/2014Can't say enough good things about Abigail's. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- Wonderful First ExperiencemiaminativeVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Abigail's and would definitely return. We were surprised to see the place so crowded on a Tuesday night but upon seeing the menu the reason became quite evident - they have a wonderful 3 course dinner special Sunday, Monday and Tuesday for $24.95. Each category had plenty of choices and reasonable sized portions so it made a pleasant experience a great value as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Learned two thingsAnAdultNightOutDined on 7/27/2014First, the three course special was a surprise and a surprisingly good values [their marketing dept could have done a better job promoting its availability]. The pork ribs entree was a disappointment, significantly over cooked / burnt [not chard] with an almost tasteless sauce [mostly charcoal flavored]. We have had many meals at A's and this entree was the worst, definitely not up to their usual standards. Understand it was a new item - next time possibly a bit more practice before serving. Specials a great idea with wine and tip could eat out for under $100.00. Lastly we sat on the old porch between an adult birthday party and the "children's" tables, ouch! Not a great spot for a quite adult dinner. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Abigails can always be counted on to deliver a very good experience. The entire experience is always spot on.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This is the second visit to this restaurant. The first time we were there to celebrate our grandsons highschool graduation, We were rather a large party but our waitress took it all in stride and never missed a beat, Saturday evening we were celebrating our 52 wedding anniversary and this time was even better. Food was delicious and our waitress was very attentive. She provided excellent service. I've already decided where I want to have my birthday dinner in September so be on the lookout for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small complaintSeeJayDined on 7/26/2014Other than the fact that it took our waitress 10 minutes to come to the table and pour us our water everything else went well. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findSweetie2040Dined on 7/21/2014First time here and will definitely be back. Nice atmosphere. Very Good service. Varied menu. Fresh and tasty food. Will Need to come back and get more dishes. Would be a great place to take a group or an intimate night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detail was missing...BlissCTDined on 7/20/2014We were seated in the sun room, separated from a party of 14 by 2 empty tables. If there had been a noise level category of "deafing," I would have chosen it. I cannot understand why the young host chose to seat us so close to this large group. I don't think he even gave ambiance a thought. There was an empty table on his computer screen, and he chose it. For my entree, I ordered a Caesar salad with crab cakes--dressing on the side. When the salad arrived, the dressing was on the salad. The crab cakes were very good, but too rich for the heavily dressed salad. Someone failed to get my order correct--the waitress or the kitchen. Again, not paying attention to detail.
- Out of this worldShoeDined on 7/19/2014My wife's filet was the best she's ever had. We both enjoyed her meal ;-)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous from beginning to end!goodfoodloverDined on 7/18/2014We were greeted warmly upon entering and taken to our seats. Our drink order taken quickly, we were served a wonderful amuse bouche of pan-seared scallop, then ordered our appetizers which were the P.E.I. Mussels Poulette and the Garlic and Gorgonzola Bread. There were more than enough of both for the two of us to share and the bread was necessary to sop up the luscious creamy wine sauce! Next we had our entrees which were specials; lazy lobster on a bed of asparagus risotto and smoky ribs (and a lovely bottle of wine from the extensive wine list). Not that anything more was needed, but we were served an array of dessert offerings that included three different variations on a cream puff, cheesecake, and ice cream..and after dinner drinks!Special Features:
- Nice place for lunchEnjoyingLifeDined on 7/13/2014I joined two friends for Sunday brunch, but we opted for the lunch menu instead. Options are limited on the brunch menu, which is pricey considering the limitations. Our server was great, as was the reservation desk when I called to say we would be late. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A Favorite!TamiDined on 7/11/2014Abigail's is one of our favorite places to dine. It's worth the hour - fifteen minute drive. Never disappointed. Staff and food is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent resturant, pure/simpleDandPVIPDined on 7/8/2014From apps to dessert, there is nothing not to like at Abigail's, including the energy that exudes out of the diners, as well as the waitstaff. Ambiance, decor, choices, presentation, and quality: All excellent. Monday-Tuesday night specials are out-of-this-world outstanding, as well. A restaurant worth the ride--near or far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great ambienceSandraDDined on 7/6/2014Sat outside and enjoyed a great meal and appetizers. Staff did not forget anything we ordered and they were polite but they did not check up on as often as they should have. Perhaps since there were only 2 servers to wait on all the tables that were full they were not able to. At one point we would have ordered more wine but since they did not come, we finished our meal and decided to go open a bottle at home. Besides that the food was great and I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchCTDinerDined on 7/6/2014We had brunch outside on the patio. The brunch was delicious and a great deal at $18 per person which included a cocktail and dessert. The traffic noise on the patio wa a bit loud but they have privacy from the road with all the bushes and trees so it looks lovely. The upstairs bar could be a great place for a private event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to usual standardsgoldrushDined on 7/5/2014We eat at Abigail's often and this was the worst we have run into. Two people's filets were ordered medium rare and came medium well. By the time we could summon someone to address the problem, the other 2 people had nearly finished their meals. Manager did what he could to solve problem but it was an uncomfortable dinner for everyone. 2 appetizers were plopped down on our table and the person that brought them walked away. we did not even have silverware or napkins or plates. We yelled at him quite loudly (every other diner within 100 feet looked at us but he just kept walking. I assume he was hearing impaired. Our hot appetizers were cold by the time we got our servers attention. They have done better in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014From appetizers to dessert - everything was outstanding - the only complaint would be the noise level - rather loud and a bit difficult hearing the waitress. Besides that, I will definitely be back - especially for the calamari and Gorgonzola red pepper bread!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitJoePVIPDined on 7/2/2014Been here several times and never been disappointed. The food is very good and menu varied. They are accomodating in evey way and the service prompt and courteous. Had scallop dinner that was so well prepared and accompanied by an excellent risotto. The prices are also very good for food choices and wine.Special Features:
- great food, wonderful settingenjoyfoodDined on 7/1/2014Our food was very tasty, both the appetizers and the main meals. The setting is very comfortable, airy and spacious. Service was friendly and on time. A very pleasant lunch !Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerStargzr13Dined on 6/28/2014I can't say enough good things about Abigail's. I had noted in my online reservation that my husband and I were going to be celebrating our one year anniversary, and they took such care of us! The host/manager had us seated in a window-side half booth... So romantic. And our waitress personalized our shared dessert (chocolate mousse pie-delicious). The food was outstanding to say the least (hubby had sirloin, I had filet), and afterward we headed to the upstairs bar (nice atmosphere!) to have a nightcap. We could not have been happier with the overall experience. Thanks Abigail's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HearschHearschDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful food choices for a person who has a restricted diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!GloriaDined on 6/20/2014I've been to Abigail's on many occasions, and it never disappoints. The food, service, and ambience are excellent. I have chosen different items from the menu and each has been delicious and generously portioned. This past visit, we got a very large corner booth, and since we were celebrating a special event, it was nice to have the privacy and quiet. Our waitress was cheerful and accommodating. I would highly recommend this restaurant. PS. On our way out, 3 men at a table we were passing stopped me to tell me they admired the dress I was wearing. That is simply lagniappe (a New Orleans term meaning "the icing on the cake.").Special Features:
- SpecialplazadjDined on 6/20/2014Have been to Abigail's often and have never been disappointed or even slightly disappointed. Over time we've tried several items on the menu and would have a difficult time choosing a best. It has become a special occasion place and a place to entertain out of town guests. The food, service and atmosphere are what brings us back.Special Features:
- NoisesjmulDined on 6/17/2014This our second time here and the first was much better then this time. Apps were great, my lobster w/pasta was bland, so was my husbands pasta. We will try it again. We will make sure we sit outside in the summer. The noise it too much sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abigail's for dinnerTSLSVIPDined on 6/17/2014This visit to Abigail's was a positive experience. Of particular note was the quality of the lobster tail I ordered. Service was good. No issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food & service was excellentYummyfood100Dined on 6/16/2014We had a very competent waiter and even tough my daughters sandwhich came out wrong it was corrected without a problem. The house wine was excellent & the spinach artichoke dip & jumbo shrimp cocktail were the best I have eaten!Special Features:
- todezafrDined on 6/15/2014Excellent dinner - a bit more exspensive than it needed to be but worth it.Special Features: