Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
4 Hartford Road
Simsbury, CT 06089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.abigailsgrill.com/
- Phone: 860-264-1580
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Sean Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Abigail's room on the first floor is a private room available for parties up to 20 guests. Other semi private rooms are available for groups up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Markus Lehofer 860-264-1580
A word from Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
The original Pettibone’s Tavern, on Hartford Road in Simsbury, was built in 1780 for Jonathan Pettibone Jr., whose father, Jonathan Pettibone, had been killed in the fighting around New York in 1776. The Tavern served as a stagecoach stop on the Boston to Albany Turnpike and was also a meeting place where Capt. Elisha Phelps met with Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys to plan the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The original tavern was burned to the ground by Indians in 1800, but was soon rebuilt and reopened in 1803. In more recent times, the tavern has been a restaurant. It was purchased by the Chart House chain in the 1970s, but under new ownership became known as Pettibone’s Tavern again. In January, the building was damaged after a fire activated the sprinkler system. Today, Abigail's has been completely restored and the restaurant has reopened under new ownership. Come and enjoy our extensive menu of creative continental cuisine and a welcoming New England atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (66)great for outdoor dining (64)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (36)good for groups (34)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (31)scenic view (16)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- Disappointing at BestNtuitive1Dined on 9/17/2014I don't get hype about this place. Perhaps it's because I'm a foodie and a seasoned diner and I know so many better places in the area in this price range (I live 5 mins. away). Or perhaps it's just because my 2nd experience here was a total letdown. I thought the food was better a couple of years ago when I came here on restaurant week. From the PMS hostess to the beyond dry risotto that looked and tasted like a dog's dinner to the bland, dry, gamey tasting pork dish with beets and sweet potato hash that had no flavor whatsoever, to the strudel that was nuked to molten lava on the inside, cold and doughy on the bottom, plus the snobby attitude, I'm done with this place. I don't get that vibe in much better restaurants and I'm no rube.
- ANNIVERSARY DINNERDineoutDined on 9/16/2014We enjoy Abigail's for its fine food but this time it was noisy. It was very busy so I guess that is to be expected.Special Features:
- Simsbury favoriteMarkBrooklynVIPDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful setting, great place to go with a group in Simsbury. Our favorite outdoor seating in the area. Good food, welcoming staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Always is a pleasure to dine at Abigail's. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- excellent choiceoutstandingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Was seeking a place to take my nephew and his girlfriend for lunch on a Saturday. This is the best spot I can think of in Simsbury for lunch. The food selections were excellent and we each loved what we had. The bread was yummy, the food was fresh and delicious, the service superb and the place is just as lovely for lunch as it is for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Overall the food was close to excellent. My husband had the NY Strip, the vegetables were steamed, with no seasoning at all. the room was loud. Other than that, the rest was excellent. I suggest not sitting in the loud room right off the bar.Special Features:
- Menu is complicatedCutterDined on 9/12/2014The menu has gotten complicated. One has to jump around and figure it out. (Top hats for steaks??) Our choices were tasty with the exception of the rib eye which was so chewy there was a pile of gristle on the plate. The coffee ice cream got rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Willing to try againAnniversaryDined on 9/12/2014We go back to when this place was the chart house. We went there when we were single. We chose Abigail's for our 33 anniversary. Loved the staff and the lay out of the restaurant. I ordered the tuna which I requested medium. It came very rare (red and cold in the middle). I eat it that way sometimes so I did not make a issue. My wife ordered the pasta vodka with chicken and sausage. The chicken tasted a bit old. I would be tempted to try them again. Maybe steak next time.Special Features:
- enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Our waitress Rachael, was great, very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience, made more so by her service! Would recommend Abigail's for delicious food, warm and inviting atmosphere and delightful waitstaff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKRonnyDined on 9/10/2014Tried out Abigails for the first with a living social coupon. My wife and I shared the iceberg wedge salad, which came out with a wilted wedge of lettuce and tasted like something a chain restaurant would produce. For entrees my wife had bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. The pork was overcooked and on the tough side, the roasted apples were raw. I had the Maine lobster pasta, also unremarkable, the lobster watery and stringy and the sauce was bland. We enjoy Republic and Market Grill, other restaurants owned by the group, but wont be hurrying back here. The only saving grace was the fact our meal was almost half price
- Don't trust their web specials.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Good food and service, but don't believe specials advertised on their web site. They discontinue them without notice. We complained via e-mail and they said "appreciate your feedback and I will make sure that our website reflects the correct information. Thank you," They didn't say they were sorry or offer to do a make good. They still haven’t fixed the problem on the web site.
- Great place for a birthday dinnerLovetennisDined on 9/6/2014The birthday lady was given a choice of any restaurant in the area and chose Abigail's. Arrived early and went upstairs to the bar for a drink before being seated. Old house and front stairs could be a challenge to some. Since rain was forecast, we decided to skip the patio for dinner. Started with crab cake and a spinach salad. As we were sharing, they split the them before serving. Nice portion crabcake and a great start to dinner. Lady order the pork tenderloin and I choose the scallops. Both meals were perfect and served in a beautiful presentation. No dessert. Waiter was very attentive. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Meg did a wonderful job..delicious and very nice experience:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial charmScotay72Dined on 9/6/2014The setting was perfect. An 18th century structure, converted into a modern bar and restaurant. The soup and salad selections were excellent, as we're the appetizer. The entree did not live up to our expectations. The lobster, on a bed of risotto, was disappointing. The food arrived cold and the reheated version turned out greasy and somewhat tasteless. Unfortunately, we will be unable to give this restaurant a second chance, as we were just passing through the state.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceChoosyDinerDined on 9/4/2014I have not been here for a while so not sure how "new" the menu is but as always there are lots of great choices. The food is always good as is the service. The restaurant itself has a lot of charm and each dining area is a different experience. One of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining.MollyDined on 9/2/2014Enjoyed our entire dinner and the service, our waitress Kathleen was wonderful. The only thing lacking was with our dessert, strawberry shortcake. The biscuit was delicious but we had to hunt for strawberries!Special Features:
- Great evening diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Took my wife here for her 60th birthday. She loved every detail from food, service, to ambiance. I would highly recommend caping it off with the peach berry pie for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Great place, but the noise level takes away from a 5 star rating! Difficult to carry on a normal conversation.Special Features:
- Amazing!KrisCDined on 8/22/2014We absolutely loved everything we ate, and our server was excellent-very attentive but not pushy. She allowed us to take our time with our appetizers and cocktails before bringing our entrees. Highly recommend the cheese plate-it is huge and could easily have been shared by 4 people instead of 2! Steaks were cooked perfectly and entree sizes were very generous. Pricey but well worth it!Special Features:
- One of our favorites!Selective1Dined on 8/15/2014We love Abigail's! It is one of our "go to" places which never disappoints!Special Features:
- Nice place... Few snags thoughWritbywhittDined on 8/15/2014Excellent ambiance.. But very loud! Food was excellent. Prices are high especially for kids meals. Mine wasn't hot either. But very tasty! Went there with a group on they didn't accept. I guess the fine print said not available on weekends.. They made no attempt to work with me on that. Not like they were hurting for business!!! I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Second ExperiencemiaminativeVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had a very enjoyable meal here on all accounts recently and looked forward to returning. This time although 55 degrees outside, the air conditioning was blasting and the noise level was so loud we could not hear each other talk.. An order of Shrimp Scampi tasted fine but came with just 3 lonely shrimp, and the sides the server recommended which came with a grilled steak were not at all as the menu described. We ate quickly since it was so cold and noisy and skipped coffee/dessert. A key factor to a restaurant's success is consistency, which sadly Abigail's was not able to sustain. We will not return.
- SWMomDined on 8/14/2014Great place to celebrate our anniversary. Attentive but not intrusive service, great meal, good wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeSteaklover1Dined on 8/13/2014Delicious meal as always. Impeccable quality. Well versed staff on all questions asked. Not afraid to make recommendations. The old adage of you get what you pay for comes to mind. Not a place to grab a quick bite because the kids had soccer practice. We have found it to be more of a special occasion kind of place and have even turned our friends on to it. Never a bad time or meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantBobPlainvilleCTDined on 8/12/2014Abigails was recommended by a friend to try. decided to take wife there for her birthday. Was greeted at door with smiling faces. Had ordered flowers through opentable and they were on the table when seated. Our waitress, Rachael, can right to the table when we were seated and wished her a Happy Birthday. Serve was more than expected. Excellent job goes to Rachael and the kitchen staff. Serve of food was at a great pace. Not rushed or slow because the restaurant was full. Food was delicious. Had raw seafood as appetizer, dinner was pork and red fish. Both excellently prepared and presented. Desert was to die for.Would recommend for any occasion. The only complaint that I would have is the the hostess was dressed in inappropriate shorts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abigail's is goodctpwDined on 8/11/2014This is a solid choice for a meal. Outside seating though close to the road is still quite enjoyable. The food is good but not inspiring and the core menu items haven't changed much in years. Wine prices are too high for the quality available. strawberry shortcake dessert was awful, coffee flan was delicious, red fish nouvelle which they have had for years is very good. Set menu is a good value. regular menu needs some dusting off.Special Features:
- Dinner 8-10-2014sassy2013Dined on 8/10/2014Abigals has become our best dining. Surprisingly , my steak that night came out very rare/raw to a point and my husband asked for bowties and he received flat ribbon pasta. The waitress quickly made every thing great......or we thought.....the asparagus were cold. ??? Once again the waitress made the corrections. Our waitress was the best and to top the night off had put a candle in Rons strawberry shortcake as it was his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BummerOhioFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I are new to Connecticut and Abigail's has been suggested by several people...so we had to try it. After the bread & salad course things were looking pretty impressive, so I was excited to dig into the entree & main course. The crab cakes were dry (possibly the waitresses fault since they sat under the warmer for quite some time) and the bland pasta sauce made the entree more of a soup. Service was slow and very inattentive - waitress totally forgot to bring our coffee with our dessert. Also, I mentioned when I made the reservation that it was a birthday celebration and not a single "happy birthday" from anyone. Abigail's was fair at best, but we try to give restaurants a second chance...will keep you posted.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great service, happy people, superb food, and nice outdoor environment.Special Features:
- Our first timemmadvVIPDined on 8/2/2014Can't say enough good things about Abigail's. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- Wonderful First ExperiencemiaminativeVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Abigail's and would definitely return. We were surprised to see the place so crowded on a Tuesday night but upon seeing the menu the reason became quite evident - they have a wonderful 3 course dinner special Sunday, Monday and Tuesday for $24.95. Each category had plenty of choices and reasonable sized portions so it made a pleasant experience a great value as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Learned two thingsAnAdultNightOutDined on 7/27/2014First, the three course special was a surprise and a surprisingly good values [their marketing dept could have done a better job promoting its availability]. The pork ribs entree was a disappointment, significantly over cooked / burnt [not chard] with an almost tasteless sauce [mostly charcoal flavored]. We have had many meals at A's and this entree was the worst, definitely not up to their usual standards. Understand it was a new item - next time possibly a bit more practice before serving. Specials a great idea with wine and tip could eat out for under $100.00. Lastly we sat on the old porch between an adult birthday party and the "children's" tables, ouch! Not a great spot for a quite adult dinner. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always ConsistentEdgarDined on 7/26/2014Abigails can always be counted on to deliver a very good experience. The entire experience is always spot on.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This is the second visit to this restaurant. The first time we were there to celebrate our grandsons highschool graduation, We were rather a large party but our waitress took it all in stride and never missed a beat, Saturday evening we were celebrating our 52 wedding anniversary and this time was even better. Food was delicious and our waitress was very attentive. She provided excellent service. I've already decided where I want to have my birthday dinner in September so be on the lookout for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small complaintSeeJayDined on 7/26/2014Other than the fact that it took our waitress 10 minutes to come to the table and pour us our water everything else went well. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findSweetie2040Dined on 7/21/2014First time here and will definitely be back. Nice atmosphere. Very Good service. Varied menu. Fresh and tasty food. Will Need to come back and get more dishes. Would be a great place to take a group or an intimate night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detail was missing...BlissCTDined on 7/20/2014We were seated in the sun room, separated from a party of 14 by 2 empty tables. If there had been a noise level category of "deafing," I would have chosen it. I cannot understand why the young host chose to seat us so close to this large group. I don't think he even gave ambiance a thought. There was an empty table on his computer screen, and he chose it. For my entree, I ordered a Caesar salad with crab cakes--dressing on the side. When the salad arrived, the dressing was on the salad. The crab cakes were very good, but too rich for the heavily dressed salad. Someone failed to get my order correct--the waitress or the kitchen. Again, not paying attention to detail.
- Out of this worldShoeDined on 7/19/2014My wife's filet was the best she's ever had. We both enjoyed her meal ;-)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous from beginning to end!goodfoodloverDined on 7/18/2014We were greeted warmly upon entering and taken to our seats. Our drink order taken quickly, we were served a wonderful amuse bouche of pan-seared scallop, then ordered our appetizers which were the P.E.I. Mussels Poulette and the Garlic and Gorgonzola Bread. There were more than enough of both for the two of us to share and the bread was necessary to sop up the luscious creamy wine sauce! Next we had our entrees which were specials; lazy lobster on a bed of asparagus risotto and smoky ribs (and a lovely bottle of wine from the extensive wine list). Not that anything more was needed, but we were served an array of dessert offerings that included three different variations on a cream puff, cheesecake, and ice cream..and after dinner drinks!Special Features:
- Nice place for lunchEnjoyingLifeDined on 7/13/2014I joined two friends for Sunday brunch, but we opted for the lunch menu instead. Options are limited on the brunch menu, which is pricey considering the limitations. Our server was great, as was the reservation desk when I called to say we would be late. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features: