Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
4 Hartford Road
Simsbury, CT 06089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.abigailsgrill.com/
- Phone: (860) 264-1580
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Sean Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Abigail's room on the first floor is a private room available for parties up to 20 guests. Other semi private rooms are available for groups up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Markus Lehofer 860-264-1580
A word from Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
The original Pettibone’s Tavern, on Hartford Road in Simsbury, was built in 1780 for Jonathan Pettibone Jr., whose father, Jonathan Pettibone, had been killed in the fighting around New York in 1776. The Tavern served as a stagecoach stop on the Boston to Albany Turnpike and was also a meeting place where Capt. Elisha Phelps met with Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys to plan the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The original tavern was burned to the ground by Indians in 1800, but was soon rebuilt and reopened in 1803. In more recent times, the tavern has been a restaurant. It was purchased by the Chart House chain in the 1970s, but under new ownership became known as Pettibone’s Tavern again. In January, the building was damaged after a fire activated the sprinkler system. Today, Abigail's has been completely restored and the restaurant has reopened under new ownership. Come and enjoy our extensive menu of creative continental cuisine and a welcoming New England atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)fit for foodies (69)romantic (58)good for groups (56)great for outdoor dining (50)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (33)hot spot (20)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Great ExperienceFrankDined on 11/15/2014This was our first time at Abigails. Atmosphere, food and service all exceded expectations. The only downfall I would give this restaurant is bar area is very small if you want to get a drink before dinner as we usually do while waiting for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itCgamDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I had been wanting to try Abagail's for a long time and we finally made it in. We were early for our reservation so we were able to have a drink in the bar. Great ambiance in the bar. Then dinner was delicious and the service was great. All around a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Neighborhood SpotFoodFanFamDined on 11/7/2014Food is always outstanding and deliciously fresh. Great ambiance and cozy hometown feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that pleased.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014We were there for our anniversary and we placed at a small table in a room so loud we could not hear each other. When asked for a better table, nothing could be done. Food was good except for the beet salad that was way overpriced for what was delivered.
- First DatetottyDined on 11/5/2014We had our first date here and it was amazing! We sat by the fireplace and talked for hours. We had the pork medallions for dinner and the Crème brûlée, (slightly warmed) for dessert. Everything was SUPERB! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. Service was impeccable...Special Features:
- good restaurantworthgoingtoDined on 10/31/2014Abigail's consistently delivers! Excellent choice of meals, fair pricing for value offered. Professional and courteous staff.Special Features:
- FantasicIcemanDined on 10/31/2014There were 4 of us for dinner on a Friday night. Reservations were for 7:30. We had a most enjoyable evening, with friends, good food and lets not forget the cocktails or desserts. We werent rushed. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overallCinCTVIPDined on 10/28/2014The food and the second waitress were both very good. The first waitress didn't arrive for ten minutes; had no wine list when she finally showed up, but promised one and then never returned. I asked the host to find us a more attentive waitress, and he did, after which all was great. The MRG restaurants are usually better than this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great...very nice night out!!!!!!!!merussell37Dined on 10/25/2014Very nice everything was great....very romantic. Love the old style of the restaurant just beautiful inside ..........the food was prepared to our liking it was a very nice night out I will go back to Abigails again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noiseLizzieDined on 10/25/2014The food is great, the service good, but the noise level at dinner time is just too much. My husband and I have enjoyed lunch, which is much quieter. We were at dinner at 5:30 Sat night and the noise level was so high we could hardly hear each other. A shame because the food and service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ViolinladyDined on 10/24/2014Had a great romantic dinner here. Salad with Salmon was delicious, although the salmon could have been a better cut. Berkshire pork is amazing, prepared perfectly!Special Features:
- Abigail'sVitoDined on 10/23/2014Excellent location and decor. The food was great, as is the bar. I'll be back for a fourth time soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall really good, butKensingtonDinerDined on 10/22/2014The Abigail's menu suggests that it's really a steak house - lots of sauces and toppings that can be added to the meat. With that in mind, I was pretty disappointed in the NY strip that I got. It was cooked to my order, but just didn't have a lot of flavor to it. The small filet did not suffer from this problem. Rest of meal very good: generous well-crafted cocktail, excellent salads (especially the Caesar with anchovies), vegetable sides cooked just right and lots of flavor, and the Black Forest Cake was fabulous dessert. Too bad the only off note was a main entree. but I'd still recommend this place.Special Features:
- Apps issueBirthdaygirlDined on 10/20/2014We ordered apps at the bar and waited 1 hour. We advised the bar tender and were told that they were given to someone else. Ours came late, undercooked and they should have been free. On the converse, dinner was delicious , service was slow though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!ExigenteDined on 10/19/2014As always, food and service were impeccable. Portions were adequate; you did not leave the restaurant overstuffed. Quiet and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014we waited a long time to go to this restaurant and finally had an opportunity through OpenTable to go it was delicious and the atmosphere was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menuperennialgalDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant menu was an excellent value - a feature that we had not intended to take advantage of. But when we saw the menu, all four of us found choices that we would have ordered from the regular menu. Our selections were delicious and totally satisfying. The service was efficient without being obtrusive. Our seating was in a small room which lent itself to conversation, which we very much appreciated. I would recommend this restaurant to others without hesitation.Special Features:
- Abigail'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the food and service were very satisfying. The prices were high, particularly for the mediocre wine list.Special Features:
- No moreHammerDined on 10/18/2014Abigail's had become a miss. My last two visits have been poor. The food was expensive and unimpressive except for the french onion soup and chocolate mousse pie. Seating is hit or miss too. There are few quiet spots in the restaurant for a romantic dinner. This will be a happy hour spot but I will no longer go to dinner here. It is not worth the price.Special Features:
- Never disappointsmwyumDined on 10/10/2014I try to visit Abigail's every time I'm in town- I've never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Friday 5:30SandraDDined on 10/10/2014I have been here many times, food and service is usually really good. My first so so experience with Abigails. It was a Friday 5:30 not too many people and our waitress took too long between check ups, usually not the case when I dine there. This time I ventured and opted to try something new, their filet mignon and I will have to say I regret that decision. I love filets since they are always tender, not the case this time. I ordered it medium and I had to use some elbow grease when cutting into it. Thankfully I ordered my usual chopped salad that never disappoints me.Special Features:
- Would be five starts but....ctdineDined on 10/7/2014My wife and I had a great dinner. The food was outstanding as was the very friendly and professional staff. My only complaint is that the table they sat us at was very small and right against the wall. Literally. And both my wife and I had tables of about six people behind us so the chairs were quite tight. The servers bumped us several times as they were serving those two tables. We actually had to move our table so I could get up at the end of the meal. I understand we were a party of two and the restaurant was quite busy, but I think it would be a good idea for the staff to revisit the table configuration to see if situations like this can be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceChristopheDined on 10/7/2014This is a very nice restaurant, great dining rooms and very good food. Slighly disappointed with the desserts.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniverary at Abigail's. It was lovely. Food was great and the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "good" this timeGolfingjakeDined on 10/4/2014I have been to Abigail's several times and have enjoyed it. This time, I can't say it was the best. The table we were given was probably the noisiest in the place. We heard everyone! The service was great, the food was average but the noise was too much. We asked to be seated somewhere else and were told it would have been another 30- 45. But 5 minutes after we sat down I got up and a 4 top was being cleared. So my faith in the staff was lowered quite a bit. If people do go to this restaurant make sure NOT to get the corner table near the server station/kitchen!I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to parRobbyDined on 10/4/2014Upon arriving early for my reservation we had to wait for an additional 20 minuets in their small foyer with a dozen or so others waiting. This was for a 7:15 reservation so it was early enough to seat patrons on time. We finally got out table and it was in a very small room crammed with other tables very little ambiance. We were ignored by our waitress except when she hastily walked by to tell us they were out of tuna entre. After about 20 minuets another waiter Max saw us and asked if we were ready to order. We had not even been asked if we wanted a drink and we told him so. He immediately took our drink order and then told us their evening specials. The food arrived quickly we then had to wait for our waitress once again for our check .Special Features:
- DickDined on 10/2/2014very good restaurant in all aspects I reccommend it very highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantazluVIPDined on 10/1/2014Our first time at Abigals We were a party of 6 We had chicken fish and meat and everyone enjoyed their meal The food was well presented and tasty The atmosphere of the restaurant was atratictive and comfortable.We will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Nice placeBillbdlDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Abigail's many times in the past and have always enjoyed the experience. Our latest visit confirmed that things have not changed. The food was good, the portions were generous and the prices were in line with a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBeccaW88Dined on 9/27/2014I've been for brunch, dinner and special occasions and it never disappoints. Great steaks, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious oysters and great steaks31yearshappyDined on 9/22/2014Four of us ordered fresh oysters and shrimp for appetizers and regular menu filet mignon for entries. Everyone was very happy with the food, cozy white table ambience and wonderful service and will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Magic experienceFoodieDined on 9/20/2014There has always been something special about Abigail's. The first time I ate there I had Mahi Mahi with a cashew sauce and I was hooked. The dishes offered are different, flavorful and an experience in themselves. I cannot put my finger on it but the atmosphere is magical. I have never had a bad dish. They have created a dining experience that is remembered. Recently my husband and I went there for our anniversary. the food was outstanding. For the appetizer I had short rib risotto and he had onion soup, they were exquisite. For the main course I had pork with roasted vegetables and he had shrimp and scollop puttanesca, they were beautiful dishes and so flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful service and foodEasterVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our food was great and they were very accommodating for my Guest's alletgy. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing at BestNtuitive1Dined on 9/17/2014I don't get hype about this place. Perhaps it's because I'm a foodie and a seasoned diner and I know so many better places in the area in this price range (I live 5 mins. away). Or perhaps it's just because my 2nd experience here was a total letdown. I thought the food was better a couple of years ago when I came here on restaurant week. From the PMS hostess to the beyond dry risotto that looked and tasted like a dog's dinner to the bland, dry, gamey tasting pork dish with beets and sweet potato hash that had no flavor whatsoever, to the strudel that was nuked to molten lava on the inside, cold and doughy on the bottom, plus the snobby attitude, I'm done with this place. I don't get that vibe in much better restaurants and I'm no rube.
- ANNIVERSARY DINNERDineoutDined on 9/16/2014We enjoy Abigail's for its fine food but this time it was noisy. It was very busy so I guess that is to be expected.Special Features:
- DeliciousdanlDined on 9/14/2014Our party of six thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Everyone commented the next day how delicious their meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simsbury favoriteMarkBrooklynVIPDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful setting, great place to go with a group in Simsbury. Our favorite outdoor seating in the area. Good food, welcoming staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Always is a pleasure to dine at Abigail's. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- excellent choiceoutstandingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Was seeking a place to take my nephew and his girlfriend for lunch on a Saturday. This is the best spot I can think of in Simsbury for lunch. The food selections were excellent and we each loved what we had. The bread was yummy, the food was fresh and delicious, the service superb and the place is just as lovely for lunch as it is for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Overall the food was close to excellent. My husband had the NY Strip, the vegetables were steamed, with no seasoning at all. the room was loud. Other than that, the rest was excellent. I suggest not sitting in the loud room right off the bar.Special Features: