1623 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://abefisherphilly.com/
- Phone: 215-867-0088x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International
- Executive Chef: Yehuda Sichel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Abe Fisher
Inspired by the cuisine of the Jewish diaspora, Abe Fisher serves small plates in a lively atmosphere. The restaurant has a full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Abe Fisher - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Abe Fisher reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)hot spot (55)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (19)romantic (18)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Amazing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014Inspired food. Do not miss the borscht tartare or the pork belly Reuben. The Hungarian duck was one of the best dishes I have had all year and maybe the best duck ever. For dessert, the apple strudel is delicious. For a special treat, ask for the chef's counter and watch your food get made in front of your eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Senior PerspectiveHoneymoonerDined on 10/18/2014Had an outstanding time. We loved the food and it was a fun place to be. I am telling all our friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abe fisherBentleyDined on 10/17/2014We had a great dinner with friends- ordered the three course dinner- sharing 12 items- best way to go- All of them with beautiful presentation and amazing flavor and spices. We had four dessert all different and delicious. Not too sweet perfect nightSpecial Features:
- Consistent and amazingAdamelbDined on 10/16/2014Usually these types of places, somethings are great and some are bad. Between myself and my date we sampled 10 dishes total and every single one was amazing. First time that's happenedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new scenefoodfanDined on 10/16/2014Love the energy that accompanied the very creative and delicious dishes. Had a second order of the brussel sprouts, gelfite fish a standout! Really all dishes including the reuben, veal tacos and kasha dish were awesome. Great service. Fun evening!Special Features:
- Super delicious!elizoleDined on 10/14/2014What a delectable menu to go with the fabulous decor! I enjoyed all of my dishes, which consisted of the brussels sprouts salad, hot sable cake & roasted salmon....super delicious. Service is also fantastic. I'll definitely be back to sample the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicetraff616Dined on 10/11/2014Good food. Nothing like ive ever had before. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014This place was fantastic--in my opinion, the food was even more impressive than at Zahav (which is really saying something). If you go, make sure to reserve the Montreal-smoked short ribs (they only have a few per night). The Brussels-sprouts salad, the chopped liver, and the corned-pork-belly reuben also stood out, although everything we had was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014We had very high expectations since we love Zahav. Abe Fisher exceeded those expectations and we were "WOW"ed by the experience. As different as it is from Zahav, it is equally impressive. Though everything was amazing, the brussel sprouts, chopped liver, pork belly, gefilte fish and veal tacos were most memorable. Cocktails, wine, dessert, and service were outstanding as well. We were fortunate to grab the only two seats at the chefs table. We look forward to going back and trying the smoked short ribs, which looked succulent and delicious.Special Features:
- a new favoritephoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Service was impeccable, thoughtful, knowledgeable. The decor is sleek but comfortable. The food is creative but approachable, and we were surprised, in a good way, by each dish. Must try dessert is the bacon egg cream. It sounds totally weird (and it is), but it is totally amazing. Very reasonable pricing, too.Special Features:
- OutstandingCCCCathyDined on 10/9/2014The staff at the restaurant is top shelf. I made my reservation on Open Table erroneously on the wrong date but they were able to accommodate 5 with little wait. Dinner was incredible from the chopped liver to the tasty taco's and salmon done perfectly. Cocktails were creative and delicious as were all the desserts. It is definitely on my list of dining places to recommend and revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- check your bill!146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 10/6/2014I loved the food, but I was overcharged on the bill. I bought the price fix meals and then was charged additionally for the 'included' deserts ($18). I returned to the restaurant the next day (twice - the first time in the afternoon - the doors were locked) and received an apology and a return of my $20 ($18 plus tax; yes I had my receipt). But that left me on the hook for the $5 tip that went with that erroneous bill. Not worth fighting over, but that meant two trips back for less than a full recovery. I have been to over 200 Philadelphia restaurants and have not had any billing problems before this.
- Truly a cut aboveJPStevensVIPDined on 10/3/2014I don't write reviews often. I could not withhold this one, though. Went on a Friday night, sat at Chef's table, went with the Prix Fix for $39. I've been to all the hot restaurants in Philly, including Solomonov's Zahav. The food at Abe Fisher was truly a cut above -- the mixture of ingredients, the presentation -- a wonderful adventure for your taste buds and nose. Specific highlights include (but really, are not limited to) the sweet and sour meatballs, kasha varnishkas, and stuffed trout "gefilte fish." If I would pass on anything it would be the beet tartare. Also just as noteworthy is the cocktail menu...for me, this was a surprise, and just as outstanding as the food, especially if you are a fan of amaro.Special Features:
- Good Food Tiny PortionsphylitVIPDined on 9/26/2014Yet another small plates place where a salmon entre is the size of a cheese wedge. Can order a la carte or prixe-fixe for $39.00 wwich includes three courses, and you'll need them, and dessert. Food is a take on Eastern European and Global. (kosher salami and shrimp fried rice, anyone?) The drinks are good but tiny for $12.00. They have very clever names, as if that is compensation for the small amount and price. Food is unusual and does not tastes as one expects according to it name. The noise level was deafening on a Friday night. There were four of us and we had sore throats the next day from trying to communicate. Try it but bring your tweezers.Special Features:
- Different and DeliciouslorrainemdDined on 9/25/2014The food was different, yet familiar. It was like eating at your Jewish Grandmother's house, yet with a gourmet twist. My husband and I shared 6 plates and we honestly enjoyed every single one of them. The food was perfectly executed, extremely interesting and well-portioned. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The vibe was fun and the room was industrial, yet pretty. I am 7 months pregnant, so I am not drinking, but the wine list looked diverse and the cocktails looked enticing. The bar looks like a nice adult bar to grab a drink with friends. We can't wait to go back to try other items!Special Features:
- JEWISH HOLIDAYNOISYDINERDined on 9/24/2014We were 3 in our party and since the restaurant was one of Zahav's owner's we expected alot. We were disappointed. After we finished the chefs dinner were we each pick one from each column we discussed the quality of the food. Lots of the dishes had jewish names but were not jewish dishes. Since it was the first nite of the Jewish New Year, we planned to have a holiday meal. Also, the dishes were lacking something, don't know what. Also the noise level was noit acceptable.Special Features:
- Abe Fisher -a hit in Philadelphia!EricVIPDined on 9/22/2014RUN...do not walk to Abe Fisher on Sansom Street. R-U-N! This place is so inviting from the time you set foot inside to the time you are thanked more than once for coming as you exit for the evening. Excellent service...and I do mean excellent! Everyone makes you feel welcomed and truly appreciative that you are there. The food is simply divine. I cannot wait to go back and have already told a host of friends you must dine here. The Hungarian duck is the dish to get. If you are not a duck person (trust...you will be after tasting the duck at Abe Fisher), then do the price fixed option. Amazing. Small but cute and a gem on Sansom Street. Remember, run...do not walk to Abe Fisher and be prepared to be amazed with great service.Special Features:
- Oy Vey!powersgirlDined on 9/18/2014GET TO ABE FISHER! Don't be intimidated by the menu if you're not familiar with Jewish cuisine. Everything is FANTASTIC! My fav part of the night? Your "bread" is an assortment of savory rugelach... DEEEEELISH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what I had expectedgigfy73Dined on 9/17/2014I had preconceived notions of what the food would be like. My notions were well off the mark. Exceptionally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they did not have it rightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Not right music, food is trying to hard. Good service but 5 different person come and check on the table every dish, over the top
- ExcellentpunkyjamVIPDined on 9/17/2014The service was amazing and the food creations were intriguing and well-presented.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Awesome service staff-not snobby and very helpful in menu selection-explaining terms etc. Food was amazing! Veal tacos and the Borscht are musts! Love the concept-and was put outside of my comfort zone in a great way! Looking forward to coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Came in for restaurant week with a group of 5 and tried just about every dish. I was nervous about bringing my family here -- since the idea smoked fish and gefilte fish made them look at me with eyebrows raised -- but we fought over the last bites as plates circled around the table. Service was fantastic and quick -- love the trick with sparkling water service. It was busy and a touch loud for my parents, but with a later reservation, things calmed down by the time we started eating. I think the wine helped, too. We'll most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Eat here.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014The bar staff and managers are amazing. Food was creative and delicious. You should eat there. Often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food of the Diaspora?NewtoOldCityDined on 9/16/2014We went to Abe Fisher during restaurant week, shortly after they opened. In order to experience a number of dishes we each ordered different dishes. The restaurant was quite accommodating in making a special request happen, and substituted certain items in a dish for others not allowed on a special diet. Kudos to the team of servers! They were friendly and knowledgeable. More kudos for the sparkling water, offered gratis and continually replenished during the meal. The salmon entree and the deconstructed borscht were two of my favorite dishes? The desserts were great as well. My only issue was with the serving size of the craft cocktail I ordered. For the $12 cost, there wasn't very much alcohol by volume in my glass when it was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the rest. scenejjp4VIPDined on 9/16/2014have been a long time fan of zahav so was excited to try his new restaurant, abe fisher, and it definitely did not disappoint. the vegetables were a great start - highly recommend the borscht! followed by the seafood, which might have been our favorite course - had the salmon and sable - both perfection. the veal schnitzel tacos with spiced lemon wedges were so good i would go back there for a beer and the tacos as a quick meal at the bar. overall, very attentive service and great food means i'm looking forward to go back.Special Features:
- Philly123Dined on 9/14/2014Zahav is my favorite restaurant, so I had high expectations when the owners announced the opening of Abe Fisher, and I was not disappointed. The eclectic menu, consisting of several courses of small plates that were served for sharing, created an interesting and interactive meal. The veal schnitzel tacos, brussels sprouts, sweet & sour meatballs, & apple strudel were highlights. My only complaint is, although each plate was individually delicious, the plates don't connect to each other very well & the menu could be more cohesive. This may be a result of the international inspiration of the menu (which is Jewish-inspired cuisine from all over the world). However, the terrific service and inspired food will keep me coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative but heavyKBarMVIPDined on 9/13/2014Interesting, creative twists on eastern-European styles. Innovative, but on the heavy side. Glad to have eaten there, but not the type off food I want to eat often. One dish was salty, another under seasoned. They were out of the duck and the pork belly, which were dishes I really wanted to try, so I can't review them. Other diners in the party loved the short rib; I found it tasty but heavy and greasy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceCONSUMESALLDined on 9/12/2014Abe Fisher lived up to the considerable hype it received in the press prior to opening. All but one dish (sea bass, too many flavors happening at once!) were outstanding and the service was superb. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CapriaDined on 9/12/2014Went for restaurant week and had a wonderful time. Staff was so attentive and friendly. Food was superb. Highlights were borscht tartare, savory rugelach, meatballs, and the black and white cookie dessert. I will definitely be returning back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookNSolo does it againcelyseDined on 9/11/2014Abe Fisher strikes a delicate balance between cleverness and deliciousness; the food is wonderful while remaining true to the tongue-in-cheek "Jewish diaspora" theme. Highlights include tender and tangy sweet and sour meatballs with soft, melting boursin cheese, and an almost-too-decadent "bacon and egg cream" with smoky maple drizzle done tableside to great effect. Simpler dishes like a clean radish salad and well-roasted carrots were unexpected hits as well. The cocktail list is nothing to write home about, and the Abe Fisher was just a small cup of pickle juice, but the food was so good we didn't much care. Service was friendly, affable, and the right level of attentive. All in all an incredibly lovely meal. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Jewish soul foodbitemeVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were continually impressed as each course came out, each one better than the one before; the most phenomenal flavor pairings and I can definitely see why it's not like your bubbe's cooking - for example the kasha varnishkes was outstanding and not at all like what I'm used to - they were these little pillows of raviolis stuffed with kasha in a delightful cream sauce - sublime! Everyone loved the stuffed cabbage, the smoked sable cakes and the chef's take on "borscht" was intriguing and not at all what we expected - but maybe that was the key: Jewish comfort food with a twist! Pork belly with potato latkes? - who would've thought it could work, but it did. The servers were great too, professional and pleasant - an outstanding evening
- Very Good, Interesting FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Food and service were exceptional Acoustics are very bad, it was difficult to have a conversation just across the table top.Special Features:
- AmazingPhillyGirlDined on 9/10/2014Everything about this place was spot on. The food & cocktails were delicious and the service was fantastic. We went during restaurant week and are looking forward to heading back soon. Excellent overall! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great experience! Will be back.StephDined on 9/10/2014This menu was unique to me since I'm not accustom to traditional Jewish food. Abe Fisher does a great modern spin on their dishes. There was only 1 dish out of the 8 I didn't care for. Each course was served as a small plate so I suggest sharing and trying a bit of everything. The service was exceptional. The staff is friendly, informative (since I didn't know every menu item), and doesn't let you go without one thing needed. I recommend this restaurant for a nice evening out!Special Features:
- Amazing! IFoodgirlbwyDined on 9/9/2014I'm not kidding when I say Abe Fisher has some of the best food I've ever eaten. Wonderful staff and overall very enjoyable atmosphere. Actually went back the next night for more! Will definitely keep going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Food was delicious, highly recommended. Each course was well prepared. They had just opened and there were no kinks or any service issues.Special Features:
- Abe, more like the BabeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/8/2014Everything was delicious. Will definitely be going backSpecial Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014We were a party of four and everyone very much enjoyed the creative and delicious food as well as the vibe of the restaurant. The chef was very personable and we appreciated the time he took to speak with us. We would definitely go back and would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Unique, but limited menuBarryVIPDined on 9/7/2014Eclectic menu was very limited, even for foodies like us. Some very clever and creative items, but other offerings that were underwhelming