Abe and Louie's Boston
793 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Abe and Louie's Boston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.abeandlouies.com/
- Phone: (617) 536-6300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday - Saturday 4:00 pm - 12:00 am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Tindaro Losurdo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Abe and Louie's Boston
Abe & Louie's represents the ultimate in classic American steakhouses, while still maintaining local charm and appeal. Our philosophy focuses on the finest quality food and service; this emphasis on quality is showcased in our décor and atmosphere. The Abe & Louie's commitment to quality is best represented in our signature prime steaks that are selected from the finest corn-fed, local and Midwestern beef. All the steaks served are aged 6 weeks on the bone to ensure the most flavorful and juicy steaks. Guests will marvel at our menu's emphasis on our fresh seafood and produce. The lump crab cake and swordfish chop are signature dishes, outstanding in their own right, in addition to the exclusive bone-in filet mignon and other fine steaks and chops. Our high-quality cuisine is paired with an award-winning wine list featuring a selection of over 200 wines from the best regions in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Abe and Louie's Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Abe and Louie's Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
509 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (303)fit for foodies (190)notable wine list (176)good for groups (137)hot spot (123)romantic (121)vibrant bar scene (108)neighborhood gem (91)great for lunch (86)great for outdoor dining (72)great for brunch (60)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (18)Show More
- Questionable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2014Our brunch server told us there wasn't a drink menu (?!?!). He seemed annoyed when I pulled the drink menu online and ordered from that. No specials listed (also unusual for A&L). Overall he seemed annoyed to have to wait on us throughout the meal. Additionally, our booth back must have been loose or something because the guy behind us kept aggressively pushing on it, even as we 2 girls politely told him it was rocking us back and forth. Dinner is a waaaay better experience at Abe & Louie's. I'll stick to that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steakhouse in Bostoncampmom22VIPDined on 11/22/2014There is never a visit to Boston for us that doesnt include a visit to Abe and Louies. The food is delicious and the service is outstanding, Absolutely worth the price!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go HungryHC2014Dined on 11/21/2014Wow. That's pretty much sums up the experience I had at Abe and Louie's. The steak I had was hands down the best steak I have ever eaten. The bread they bring out, goodnight, it was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed, the Boca location is MUCH betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014Were recommended to try the pomegranate prosceco as it was "awesome". In fact it was very ordinary, but that's not my main gripe. My main gripe is that when I order medium well steak, that's what I expect, not well done and dry as paper, particularly at an establishment of the caliber of Abe & Louie's. Nor do I expect the waiter to then tell me, on bringing this to his attention, that "yes, our medium well does tend towards the well done side here"!! Really, then why wasn't it that way 2 weeks earlier when a friend took me their to eat? Okay, it's possible to get an over temperature steak, but don't compound it with inane excuses, that just doesn't sit well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why I come to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014If you want a great meal and you don't mind paying for it then you have found the right place. I would not be able to afford such prices on a regular basis but when I am in Boston there is one night for Abe & Louie's. The seafood tower is the best I have ever had. This place is pretty noisy so if you want a quiet atmosphere you might chose another restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Experience!DubzyDined on 11/19/2014I have been to Abe & Louie's in Boston on many occasions and have always enjoyed my experience. The food is "always" delicious and the service and ambiance always add to what is an exceptional dining experience. The other night however, other than the delicious food, the experience was horrible. It started when we arrived and I informed the hostess that I had an open table reservation. She dismissed us like we were 2nd class citizens and said our reservation was upstairs! I was confused and said our reservation is here at Abe & Louie's and she shunned me like I was stupid and said we have 2 floors so go up stairs and they will help you! Downstairs in the main dining room the restaurant was buzzing as it usually is and which in my opinion adds to the ambiance of being there. Me and my guest headed up the stairs to walk in to a totally different Abe & Louie's experience. The room was mostly empty with large tables set up for large parties (10-20 people) and there was a little table of 2 off in a corner ( our table) that looked ridiculous in the setting. Our waiter started off attentive ( since we were the only diners up there) and came right over to start our order. Once our entre's arrived our service was over as some of the large parties had started to arrive and all of the waitstaff was falling all over them. I had to chase down the waiter just to pay my check. I am not sure if getting my reservation through Open Table sent me down this path ( I hope not as I have used them before at other restaurants and never felt treated like this) but it will certainly be a long time before I decide to visit Abe & Louie's at this location again!Special Features:
- Best in Boston!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2014I was in town for a medical conference. A simple Google search of steakhouses led me to Abe & Louies and Capital Grille. I chose Capital Grille on night one and Abe & Louies on Night two. In my opinion, Abe & Louies is worlds better than Capital Grille. The service was unbeatable. The ambiance was just right to eat a giant, peppery, crunchy steak, From the appetizer to the dessert, it was all that and more. I have been to countless steakhouses in many cities in the US and this one instantly became my favorite. Drinks are strong, service is perfect and the steak is truly top notch. Don't consider another choice. Ask for Ken as your server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014The bone-in Ribeye was fabulous. Service professional and the meal experience was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "go to" Boston RestaurantBibsterDined on 11/15/2014I can't say enough good things about Abe & Louie's. The martini's come in tubular glasses and a small glass bucket of ice and is poured at the table (the drink not the ice). You get to drink half while the other half stays icy cold. The bread came in a small cast-iron-like skillet, fresh from the oven and drizzled with butter. It's a steak house, have the steak. They put a beautiful sear on the outside of my tenderloin. It's a little bit of a sin but I drag each tender bit through a Bearnaise sauce and feel my arteries harden with each bite. Blue cheese mashed potatoes are served family style and are smooth and creamy. We also ordered sides of the green beans with shallots and glazed rainbow carrots. I assure you that each vegetable is not good for you but unbelievably good. I'm not a dessert guy but my guest were. The homemade warm cookie with ice cream was huge. A&L's is pricey but it is Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy for colleaguesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The morning after a conference at the Haynes Centre, 5 of us from work went to Abe & Louis on recommendation. The Eggs Benny came out cold but we felt comfortable asking for them to come out again and the server gladly obliged. Really nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ast. Sommalier didn't have grasp of wine listWine14Dined on 11/13/2014The Assitant Sommalier didn't have a solid grasp of the wine list, When I suggested the type of wine tha I enjoyed along with a relative price point, he proceeded to drag out a shy of $ 500 bottle of wine. When I then asked to compare which bottle he would recommend over another, he had no idea. Lastly, I was sold a bottle of wine that was mis-maked. The Chateaux Clarke is not a Pauillac.Special Features:
- AmazingTyMcDined on 11/11/2014The best delmonico steak I've ever had. Better than Top of the Hub, Morton's, and Smith & Wollensky's. Excellent wine and beer selection for a fancy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And the Winner is....MercianknightDined on 11/10/2014Why has it taken us so long to visit this place. Friends had told how awesome it was but we kept trying to find another best Steak House. Abe & Louie's is what we have been looking for all these years. The bar was electric, and bar-keep Eric was phenomenal with his service - which was only surpassed by the attentive, knowledgeable Kenny, our waiter. The place was packed, but with a more mature clientele, which made for a more sophisticated ambience. It was noisy but not rowdy, packed but we never felt crowded. The food may seem pricey to some, but the quality (and quantity) probably gives you more bang for your buck than most places I have ever visited in Boston. This is my new, best Boston Steak House.Special Features:
- ServiceOdunayoVIPDined on 11/10/2014Food was excellent. Service seemed a bit tired and aloof at first, picking up as the dinner progressed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair to Poor ValueSanchoDined on 11/10/2014Food is good but prices too high. Side orders too large for individual.
- The best steak I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Not much more to say. Go for the bone-on rib-eye if you're hungry.Special Features:
- Great all aroundJoe33Dined on 11/9/2014Of all the many steak places in the city, I think I found my favorite. Everyones steak was cooked perfectly, the service was spot on and the prices (compared to competition - Grill 23, Del Fiscos, Capital, Ruth, S&W, etc.) were very reasonable. It is a bit loud, but no where near to annoying noise level of Grill 23.Special Features:
- Too Loud to have a conversationDSCanadaDined on 11/8/2014I would not recommend this place if you are having a business meeting - the place was extremely loud and you could not hold a conversation. As well, the service was so delayed. It was difficult to get the servers attention. We had a reservation for 7:30pm and we did not get to our seats until 8:10pm - unacceptable. There was chaos everywhere and not a relaxing atmosphere. The food was okay - nothing great. The wine selection was good but pricey.Special Features:
- LeeLeeDined on 11/8/2014Food & Service was outstanding, steaks, seafood & chicken was excellent.Special Features:
- Always a great dining experience!AshleyjeanneDined on 11/8/2014I am always a fan of Abe and Louie's!! The wait staff is spectacular and the food is to die for! Great steaks and seafood. If you have an opportunity to eat brunch there as well I highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedKatADined on 11/7/2014We chose this restaurant for the great reviews on yelp, #2 steakhouse in the city of Boston. The steak was great, we also had porkchops that were over cooked, the mashed potatoes were very runny and flavorless (garlic was ordered). The service was very slow, after our entrees were dropped off the server came by immediately to ask how everything was (I hadn't even cut into my steak yet) and then the next time we saw him was about 5 mins after we finished eating at which point we just got our check and went on our way.Special Features:
- "We could have gone to Morton's"PalinkaDined on 11/7/2014Not a restaurant for a leisurely meal. A late lunch, 1500 on a weekday, and we had cocktails, a good Delmonico steak and disappointing sides (gluey mashed potatoes, horribly oversalted spinach), a bottle of zinfandel from a small selection -- pinots noir, cabernets, blends galore, but only a few zinfandels -- and lemon sorbet. And we were outside in an hour and a half. We felt rushed, and wondered, were the waitstaff trying to clear us out before shift change? Visiting an independent steakhouse is always an experiment: You may have a glorious meal, you may wish you'd stuck with one of the chains. For us, Abe and Louie's called Ruth's Chris, and the Palm, and the other greats to mind. But not in a good way.
- Steaks, seafood & wine what else?BuffaloGalVIPDined on 11/6/2014We were a table of 3 and did not have to wait to be seated. The server was attentive and our food was all prepared to our liking. Two of us had steak and one lobter casserole. It was suggested to ask for less bread crumbs and I was appreciative of that as the end result was just a mix of the perfect amount of lobster that melted in my mouth. We shared 2 sides which was plenty for all 3. What else could we order? The best was a shared skillet cookie which is a hot brownie with ice cream & loads of chocolate. DELICIOUS! We loved the lively atmosphere - many groups of business men entertaining as well as couples.Special Features:
- Excellent Food. Offensive Service.PotsandPensVIPDined on 11/5/2014I've eaten here MANY times. The food never disappoints. The wine list also very good. Unfortunately, Joe the bartender needs a lot of help. Not only did he insult & disrespect me (to my face), he made me question ever going back. I spoke with the manager, Samantha, the day after and shared my experience. She was very gracious. I don't want to get into the details of Joe's obnoxious behavior, but I am content that management is handling it. Go here for the food. If you experience bad service, ask to change your server immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabu!!SouthendfoodieDined on 11/5/2014We are big fans and continue to be impressed - just a great place all around. Bon Appetit!Special Features:
- Great place for a fine night....jeffyzfDined on 11/4/2014This was a great stop on my trip to Boston. The steaks were cooked to perfection and not lacking flavor. I have eaten at many steakhouse's and I would say this one ranks with the best of them. Great decor and feels like a great steakhouse with decades of history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wouldn't recommend this placemattysox508Dined on 11/3/2014Even with a reservation we had to wait almost 20 minutes to be seated. It took the waiter almost another 10 minutes to come over and greet the table. He didn't make any suggestions, or ask if we had any questions about the menu. Although he was pleasant, he did not engage us at all. We were a large party of 9. I was unimpressed. The cut of meat I personally had was extremely fatty. I expected more.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceHildurDined on 11/2/2014Sam took great care of us and his reccomendations for the main course and desert were excellent. Great service and food. Will return upon our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!LCDinerDined on 11/1/2014Always very consistent and you know what to expect when going here. Have dined here many times and this time was up to expectatations . Although it seems there is always a wait for your table even with reservations, the food and service are top shelf. And this time we went for my 60th Birthday so we wanted a special night, and A & L delivered - and the restaurant really surprised all 6 of us with giving us a full dessert tray on the house which was totally unexpected! Thanks! We will be back for the next special occaision.Special Features:
- BlandBuch027Dined on 10/31/2014Went for anniversary dinner per request from a friend. Ordered filet mignon medium and it arrived burnt. Too salty, not enough flavor. Ordered sides asparagus and brown smashed potatoes-- sides were bland and didn't taste like anything. Would not recommend and will not return.
- Big Steak in BeantownBigCheeseBigSteakDined on 10/29/2014the Bacon and Blue Cheese is a MUST. Abe & Louie's is a great cow palace.. classic steak jointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brokentooth1028Dined on 10/28/2014broke my tooth on the abe and louie salad pasachio nut shells in it Not a great experince I don't think I will be returning to this restaurant in the near future The only good thing about this restaurant was the server Janice did a great job.Its not the old Abe and Louies as I remembered it a few years ago!!
- foodieDined on 10/28/2014Great restaurant. I like my steak well done and they know what that means - cooked all the way through but NOT burned on the outside! Delicious. The Mac and cheese is probably the best I've ever had. I would recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoubleD52Dined on 10/28/2014Great food & atmosphere. The sirloin steak was cooked perfect, the sautéed spinach was just the way I like it & the Caymus wine fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janlou1VIPDined on 10/28/2014Very good as usual. Only complaint is that steak could be a bit more tender. Also, knives were dull!Special Features:
- Relaxing lunchCWL7VIPDined on 10/28/2014This was a good location on Boylston within a nice walking distance of my friend's hotel at Copley. The food was okay but I thought it was overpriced for the quantity of lobster in my salad. My friend's tuna in her salad was too cooked but then again, she asked for medium-well-done. Maybe the waiter should have told her it would be too dry. Anyway, I will definitely go back and try something different. It was such a pleasant dining experience otherwise. Very attentive waiters and, at lunch, it wasn't noisy so we were able to talk. In Boston, this is really quite important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Food and ServiceTom2020Dined on 10/26/2014The portions are large and the steaks are fine. My Prime Rib was very good, but not excellent; it's not on a bone and was missing that savory quality you get on the browned surfaces. Sides are very good; the Au Gratin Potatoes and out of this world. My Skillet Cookie was OK. The other side of the table split a HUGE Seven Layer Chocolate Cake. That looked quite good, but it would have kept me up all night. BTW, I LOVED the presentation of my Manhattan. To accommodate a full pour and avoid spilling, they serve a glass ice bucket on the side, with the part of the drink in a very attractive heavy glass tube. No spills and it keeps the rest of the drink nicely chilled. Service is superb, professional without being at all "stand-offish."Special Features:
- Miss Susan ShepherdEmmas40thBirthdayDined on 10/26/2014My party had Brunch at Abe and Louie's in Boston on Sunday 26th October for my sisters 40th Birthday. I have to say what a beautiful restaurant. The ambience was energitic and full of buzz for a Sunday morning, fantastic food and service. Our Server also organised a nice cake with candles that My sister thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks for making her day so special.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchMandyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Dinner is always great here but the brunch was just as good!Special Features:
- Great for Birthday BrunchBrunchDined on 10/26/2014I've been here twice for brunch and the food is amazing. The prices are actually reasonable for the quality of the food that you get. You can't go wrong with any of the Benedicts (Get the lobster bene if you can) and the Potatoes Au Gratin are sinfully good. I'd stay away from the Glazed Carrots, we were not impressed. That's about the only negative thing I can say about this place. The wait staff is attentive and professional. Great stuffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.