38 East 19th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2126772233x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 530pm – 1030pm
Thursday: 530pm – 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 530pm – 1130pm
Sunday: 530pm - 10pm
Lunch Monday-Friday: 12pm-3pm
Brunch Saturday-Sunday: 11am-3pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from ABC Cocina
ABC Cocina with Jean-Georges, Phil Suarez and ABC Carpet & HomeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
ABC Cocina - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
ABC Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
379 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (250)hot spot (191)great for lunch (146)special occasion (118)great for brunch (112)good for groups (106)neighborhood gem (105)vibrant bar scene (88)romantic (65)late-night find (34)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- Abc does it againMrsPDined on 8/24/2014Everything we had was amazing. My personal favorites were the fluke, short rib tacos, and grapefruit margarita. My husband and I shared 5 tapas and olives, and we were stuffed. Price wasn't bad either. Excellent valueSpecial Features:
- love their menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014original and exciting menu for fresh delicious food & veggiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muy buenoTravelJunkieVIPDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had lunch with visiting friends and shared a variety of dishes. All of the food was fresh and delicious and we can highly recommend the guacamole, the Berkshire pork sandwich, the sauteed corn, parmesan and chipotle and one of the specials, luscious lamb tacos. Service couldn't be improved. The room is fabulous though quite loud if you're interested in conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent as AlwaysSienaDined on 8/19/2014Have never been disappointed by my experiences at any of Jean-Georges' restaurants. Fantastic, clean, interesting food. Friendly, informed staff. Excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy SalmonBlueJayFoodieDined on 8/19/2014The mescal marinated salmon was amazing. Our wait or was lovely and attentive. I also enjoyed the cocktails although they were a bit sweet and not very strong at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014The place is nice, service quite good. Great cocktails. The food is quite expensive, in relation to the quantity.Special Features:
- Really delicious meal!98rsdVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a fairly bizarre lunch of pancakes, corn, tomatoes and empanadas, followed by rice pudding, but everything was extremely good. Very nice server.
- A(ll the) B(est) C(choices) 4 tapasFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 8/17/2014ABC Cocina offers all the best choices of sophisticated tapas for brunch. The restaurant offers a wonderfully eclectic and broad range of flavors, textures and ingredients; excellently prepared and beautifully plated. The service is warm and friendly. Our server greatly added to our enjoyment with his upbeat attitude. Equally importantly, several members of our party had several ingredient restrictions; Shand was thoroughly familiar with the ingredients and preparation of almost every menu item. it is testament both to him and to the restaurant's management.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I had a family brunch on Sunday. Ambiance was fabulous. To begin, coffee was weak with a pretty bad tasting, and I hoped this didn't set a pattern. Our waitress asked us if we wanted bread and we said "no" which was a mistake, because we left hungry. Why do they ask you if you want bread? Just put it on the table! The food was disappointing. We ordered the guac and chips to start. Chips were good but the guac was nothing special. The chorizo was excellent, the fish tacos were light, fresh and tasty. Huevos Rancheros and Eggs Benedict were nothing special. The size of the portions were small and prices very overpriced. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- Lives up to the hypeCanuckiedudeDined on 8/16/2014Smaller portions, but it's expected when people rave about this place. We were seated outside, but the host was gracious to move us from the sweltering heat to indoors. Tighter space, but it was cozy. Grilled octopus, grilled beef tenderloin with chimichuri, summer squash salad with pumpkin seed and yogurt with spices, grilled maitake mushrooms with goat cheese with drizzled vinaigrette, with an arroz con pollo (chicken) were all delicious, introduced by our server, Stand. The pairing of a malbec from Argentina (Martino 2011 Mendoza) was an excellent choice. Great to the palate, but left me wanting more.Special Features:
- Successful Girls NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014ABC Cocina was the perfect place to start of my best friend's Bachelorette. The cocktails were unique, delicious, and strong. The food was fun and satisfying, great for family style sharing. Our waiter was very attentive and made the whole experience comfortable.Special Features:
- Awesome brunch spotSliebsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Love this brunch spot! I had the watermelon sangria which may just be the tastiest drink I've ever ordered! It was refreshing with a little kick to it. The tapas style plates were perfect for sharing. My boyfriend proposed to me after so it's a restaurant I'll never forget!!!!!!Special Features:
- Very satisfiedRenatoDined on 8/15/2014Came several times and the place always meets my expectations. A little noisy but it is meant to be this way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Love, love, love ABC Cocina and once again we were not disappointed and thrilled with our tapas !!!!! It was just the best…..can't wait to get back……especially for the spicy whiskey sours and spring pea guac….outstanding…..Special Features:
- ABC COCINA #2SusiqueVIPDined on 8/13/2014I came back for a second time and had exactly the same things as they were so good the 1st time. In fact I requested and got the same table too. My lunch guest was so impressed that she is bring her relatives here when they next visit NYC. And next time I dine, I will try something new!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousilanasVIPDined on 8/10/2014gorgeous place. Delicious sharing plates. Fish tacos were sublime. Mushroom and goat cheese salad was unreal. Homenae sodas: yum. Just go.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We loved this restaurant. The food was fabulous. The ambience and liveliness of the place made you want to hang around for a long while. This is definitely a restaurant we will return to when we are back in NYC!!!Special Features:
- You Can Depend On a Good MealFooddawgDined on 8/7/2014For me the food is far from exceptional but to be able have a nice lunch without reservations this is the perfect place. Not to mention it is still difficult to get in for dinner without a couple days notice. They could do better on the deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Quality was generally very good but tended to be on the salty side. Portions were tapas size but entree priced. Liked the calamari, fluke, fish taco and guacamole. Octopus was bland and lifeless. Shortrib taco is very overrated. Arroz con pollo had a healthy amount of chicken but was very salty. Good place for a date.Special Features:
- Loved Our BrunchChickeedeeDined on 8/2/2014Once we found it (!) Was great experience. For those who don't know ABC Carpet, it can be completely confusing. Better signage needed! Food was great, service was attentive but not overly pushy, high 5s all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GargantuaDined on 8/2/2014I've had brunch twice this summer, each time our food was very good. I like the idea of the small dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies Who BrunchLisaDined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely brunch here -- great food prepared expertly, lovely service, and an unhurried dining experience. Our server was not only attentive but also had great suggestions for ordering, steering us in the direction of dishes that we might not have otherwise tried and ended up loving. The small plates come out of the kitchen as they are made and each item we tried (with one exception) was fresh, interesting, and delicious. The entire experience was lots of fun, a good value for this type of dining and utterly delicious. The only dish that was a miss for us was the flan and that may just be because flan is not my thing. But given that the server had steered us so right on the first four dishes and drinks, one miss was not a big deal.Special Features:
- Great place, bad experienceRobbyVIPDined on 8/1/2014I have been to ABC Kitchen and Cocina both plenty of times. The food is top notch and staff is generally very pleasant. Unfortunately, I had an awful experience with the rude matradee this time. After showing a few mins late for our 10pm reservation he had us wait by the bar. No problem. Thirty minutes later, we ask if our table is ready. He rudely said no with a very smug look and when we walked back to the bar started openly making fun of our group to the other two hostesses. All three were very unprofessional the next several times we went over to ask if a table was ready they laughed at us. Until we got angry and pointed out that there were FIVE open tables available he would not sit us.
- Pricey but worth itDoglover115Dined on 7/31/2014The food and selection was great - loved the sweet pea guacamole starter and other dishes too. 3 of us shared 6 dishes and it was more than enough ( think that they accommodated us by serving at least 3 pieces for everything we ordered so we'd all get to try everything).Special Features:
- Original and TantelizingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014I visited ABC Cocina with my husband when we were visiting New York and found the food excellent and unique. The portions thankfully were not too large but just enough to satisfy. We'll definitely recommend this spot for other visitors to the city! The service was also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingskinnyfoodyDined on 7/27/2014The fish tacos and coconut pancakes were delicious. Great service and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JG's Latin outpost is amazing.JeevesVIPDined on 7/26/2014Service is beyond compare, food was creative and amazing. My only nitpick is that I did not love the derserts. Sizing was inconsistent with main dishes and flavors were not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/25/2014I rated this restaurant 3 stars because I didn't think the food was exceptionally good and that it was overpriced. (They charge $20 for 2 tacos!) Other than that, the ambience was nice and it was well decorated.Special Features:
- Clean, crisp flavors ... Fresh!kandjVIPDined on 7/25/2014We really wondered if Jean-Georges could hit another home run with Cocina, and he has. So many people are touting farm-to-table -- Cocina harvests the Union Square Farmer's market and easy access to fresh seafood, creating some wonderfully simple yet complex flavors. Wait staff has that signature easy, friendly touch, even in mid-lunch crush mode. Only negative note -- it is NOISY, and the table we got was much too close to the kitchen. Make sure you ask to be out of the way when you make your reservation.Special Features:
- It's easy as ABC CocinaSusiqueVIPDined on 7/23/2014It was the absolutely best lunch I have had in a long time. My friend and I both arrived a little before our reservation and got a quieter table in the window seating area. Thank goodness. We proceeded to split 3 delicious apps - the pea guacamole, peeky toe crab cakes and the most delicious chared mushrooms. We split a carafe of the Lieb Rose' and then tried the Sea Salt Caramel Flan which was delivered on the smallest little plate. Good but not great until we found out that it was supposed to be served with a heavy drizzling of caramel sauce. Amber, our adorable waitress took it off our bill immediately. We both will be back for more!!Special Features:
- Highly overratedkaustriaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Had lunch there today with a couple of friends. Setting and decor is interesting, noise level way tooo loud. We could barely carry on a conversation without yelling over the techno soundtrack. Dishes that are listed under small plates are miniscule and you probably could easily use 4 small plates ( easily adding up to 50 -60$ ) to satisfy one regular person at lunchtime. The waiter recommended two per person which basically comes out to the equivalent of one appetizer- size portion in most regular restaurants. What little food there was was interesting............... but overall a lot of hype.
- Does not live up to the hypeMustEatDined on 7/23/2014Went for lunch. We were rushed by the staff from the moment we sat down. Food came out in under ten min. The buns on the sandwiches were massive. Impossible to get in your mouth. Carb overload. Nothing on the plate with the sandwich; no greens, fruit. Poor presentation.
- Excellent, simply prepared goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014We loved our meal here! Go with a group and share everything. We found for four people, 8 dishes plus 1 dessert was perfect. Be sure to try the garden tomato salad if it is still in season, and the mushroom with goat cheese dish. The mango sangria is as dangerously delicious as all the reviews say. We sat outside, which was a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TastesLive2EatDined on 7/19/2014Walking into ABC Cucina the place was packed and the mood was energetic and vibrant. Our waiter was very friendly and ready to answer any of our questions. We chose a few dishes from the small plates and each was a wonderful tasting experience. Each of the dishes was as our waiter had described and the small portions were what we expected and wanted. That allowed us to get more dishes than if they had been bigger. While we got a simple Tanqeray and tonic for drinks we did look at the drinks menu and they had a number of interesting choices which we saw on the tables around us. We ordered dessert and both of ours were outstanding. The place was packed when we got there and ended up spending over an hour and a half there. We would go again.Special Features:
- Spicy!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We were 6 in our party, with 3 that didn´t like spicy food. Almost EVERYTHING was spicy. Only the sushi was normal. We didm´t expect that, nor warned. We know its mexican, but there has to be options for everybody. Mexican food is delicious, but it´s not all about spicy.
- Not good, overratedDeenaDined on 7/19/2014Guac was good, some of the free fresh bread was good. Fish tacos overwhelmed by mayo, huevos were good but really salty; accompanying salsa flavorless.
- delicious!flowerpowerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Delicious brunch. The brunch menu combines the regular menu with brunch items and all were delicious. Don't miss the tacos and the french toast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly Disappointing service.OsVCVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our table was not bused when second course came over. We asked the runner to bus the table and he refused: 'I'll call your waiter' (totally unprofessional). I needed to go and ask for silverware after our food was sitting at the table for five minutes. The same buser who brought the bottle of sparkling water, tried to pour tap water twice, even when the big bottle of sparkling water was at the table. Buser came three times to ask 'are you done?' while clearly we were still eating: completely unapropriate question and pushy service. Birthday cake came to the table while I was in the bathroom and my husband was at the table by himself. Surprise was ruined! C'mon, it is Jean George's restaurant! Something good to say: Food is fenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurprisehamboneDined on 7/18/2014We booked lunch for four at ABC Cocina out of convenience: we had to be at ABC Home early afternoon. The meal was quite spectacular (though pricey), even for four jaded New York foodies! We ordered eight small plates and the jamon twice, given its surprisingly dry and robust flavor. The summer squash salad was bright and texturally great, the crab and corn fritters were crunchy on the outside and delicate on the inside, and the octopus was tender and full of flavor. We got talked into the chicken and rice, and were so glad to have done it, especially combined with the house pepper sauce; the crispy skin made the dish, providing great contrast to such a homey, comforting dish. We will be eating there again, despite the prices!Special Features:
- solid lunch place in union sqhunkyJewVIPDined on 7/17/2014Reasonable and delicious lunch. Really good vibe for lunch (perhaps better than ABC kitchen just south). Probably not so much for dinner (for its weird location and its more casual vibe). Indeed, it's just barely cool (i.e., it could very easily exist as a midtown expense account destination) but it's cool enough, and a good place for a bite with a friend or probably to bring a cool client.Special Features: