38 East 19th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (212) 677-2233
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 530pm – 1030pm
Thursday: 530pm – 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 530pm – 1130pm
Sunday: 530pm - 10pm
Lunch Monday-Friday: 12pm-3pm
Brunch Saturday-Sunday: 11am-3pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from ABC Cocina
ABC Cocina with Jean-Georges, Phil Suarez and ABC Carpet & HomeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
ABC Cocina - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
ABC Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
394 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (285)hot spot (213)good for groups (135)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (126)great for lunch (124)romantic (90)great for brunch (88)vibrant bar scene (88)late-night find (42)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014Fish taco was excellent but that was about it. Tres leches, salted caramel flan, brussels sprout salad were all less than mediocre. Does not even come close to our wonderful ABC kitchen experience earlier.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect! Amazing service too.LoreleiDined on 11/18/2014Absolutely perfect! Amazing service too. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review - ABC CocinaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014The food was good and the ambiance is interesting. The service was also good, but not outstanding and I think the waiters should indicate if the food is spicy (when it is not written in the menu). I ended up ordering a rice that was really spicy and could not eat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/16/2014Everything you order is delicious. Better to go with a group of people so you can try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UrvashiGDined on 11/15/2014Excellent decor and food, cocktails were great too. The vegetarian empandas were incredibly good. The service could have been a bit better, but overall was a wonderful lunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent decor and great food!Meimei2Dined on 11/15/2014I like the decoration in the restaurant . It is versy simple but cozy. The food is creative but very tasty combination of the ingredients. Would love to visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of the trip.NicoleDined on 11/14/2014We visit NYC a few times a year and read the hype about ABC Kitchen and ABC Cocina, and were excited to land a reservation. To say we were not disappointed is an underatatement. Ambience was beautiful, low light and the industrial feel you'd expect from ABC. Drinks were exceptional, and the food was outstanding. Braised short rib tacos, raw fluke, and sweet potatoe empanadas are all must tries. There wasn't one thing we didn't rave about. Our waiter was friendly, patient and accommodating. We had an early 5:30 reservation and were seated right away. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and Delicious DiningTwiggyVIPDined on 11/10/2014ABC Cocina has an inventive, appealing, tapas-like menu that allows you to pick either a series of small plates or a large plate. Everything is meant to be shared. Everything we ate at lunch -- guacamole, spicy shrimp, fish tacos, and a shaved Brussels sprouts salad -- was flavorful, even intriguing. The renovated space resembles the restaurant that used to be in this location, and it also shares that restaurant's noisy, youthful ambiance. I can imagine that it would be crowded and exceptionally noisy for drinks/dinner, because there is nothing to muffle the sound. But you can't miss with the food -- there is something to appeal to every taste.Special Features:
- Just okayyambartsumianDined on 11/8/2014I was expecting a lot more, considering that this is the restaurant that replaced Pipa. The food was good, but nothing blew me away. I enjoyed the fish tacos, the meat & eggplant empanadas, the sizzling shrimp (though nowhere as good as Pipa's), the apple and celery root salad, and the stuffed baby calamari. Of these, the salad and stuffed calamari were the most creative, but I've had much better tapas in Spain for much less cost and, again, much better tapas at Pipa for about the same price. The flan was forgettable. Our servers were helpful, knew the menu well, and did make good wine recommendations. All in all, I still don't understand why they had to close Pipa to re-open it as ABC Cocina. Why "fix" something that wasn't broken?Special Features:
- ShannaVIPDined on 11/6/2014We loved everything we had here. Fun place with great drinks! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- LOVE this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014Dreamy space, incredible food and extremely lovely staff...all this on a busy lunch hour.Special Features:
- Fun, eclectic, a little slowPeterVIPDined on 11/4/2014Cocina is very different from ABC kitchen. Small plates (there are entrees but sharing is the game here), interesting flavor swings and made for sharing things like fritters, balls of cheese and pork, crispy chicken salad. Plenty of tasty options but service comes from so many faces that the end of the meal can take a search mission. Try itI would recommend this to a friend.
- ply789Dined on 11/3/2014The food was delicious, it was a great dining experience overall.Special Features:
- Hip and deliciousTJW123Dined on 11/3/2014Really cool decor, hip crowd but not overbearing, loved the small plates. Fab combinations and flavours. Good for any occasion at any time.Special Features:
- Great foodfoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2014The cocktails are really good here. The food is great too. The tacos are well seasoned and were my favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I expected the food to be better, ok at best. everything else wasSpecial Features:
- So glad I remembered this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014Great food - cool atmosphere - reasonable prices, definitely going back- make a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014been here a few times, the ambiance, service and food are always great. Tough to get a reservation for prime time, but definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Don't expect to eat together if you are having a main dish. Disorganized kitchen had to be explained one too many times as a kitchen "design."Special Features:
- Late Lunch @ ABC CocinaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Everything was perfect... food was delicious! Excellent service... Wow!!!Special Features:
- Great room, mediocre food.CpsheltonDined on 10/31/2014A real let-down. The food was FINE, and that's it. Food from Jean-George's is not meant to be "fine." I wonder what he would have done if he had been served what I was served.
- MimiDined on 10/30/2014Ambiance is noisy and agreeable.l Food is excellent, nice size portions, well presented and service is excellent. Reservations are honored to the minute and the staff is helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet table request honoredQuietEnjoymentDined on 10/27/2014I had important business to discuss over lunch and therefore requested a quiet table when I made my reservation through Open Table. My request was honored with a table near the window. The menu is innovative, the food is delicious, and the decor is unique. I highly recommend ABC Cocina.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Way OverpricedRog222VIPDined on 10/26/2014I've lived in NYC for a decade, and the pricing at restaurants really doesn't phase me much anymore. I have to say that at ABC Cocina, however, I felt like I was paying a lot for far too little. The food is okay. The best part of my meal was the short rib tacos - melt in your mouth, absolutely delicious. Everything else was meh - guacamole was average at best, and while the butternut squash was tasty, it was definitely something I could make at home with little effort and not worth the $17 price tag. On the plus side, staff was attentive and the drinks were well-made and delicious. Overall, however, I won't return. I'd rather go to Cafe El Presidente for reasonably priced fare.
- Our new favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014The food is SUPERB. Have been here two weekends in a row and will be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most flavorful food!JenniBVIPDined on 10/25/2014ABC Cocina is one of my favorites. Everything I have ever ordered here is exceptional. The oysters are always top notch. "Taste explosions" is the best way I can describe their dishes, and they are perfect for sharing size between 2 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch or lunchCometDined on 10/25/2014Great neighborhood dining fit for casual lunch. A bit noisy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014Food is good, but nothing unique or memorable. Actually, the fish tacos were not good at all. Very noisy restaurant. It is like going to bar on a Saturday night filled with 20 somethings. Confusing to annoying philosophy to service. Multiple people approached us to ask the same thing - like, what would we like to drink. Also, service staff approached the table way too many times that my conversation with my friend, whom I have not seen for over a year, was repeatedly interrupted. I eat out all the time and sheer number of interruptions at ABC Cocina really stood out. I would not be returning.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Everything was wonderful. Service was outstanding. A little noisy but other than that fantastic,Special Features:
- Surprising and deliciousgluttonDined on 10/23/2014I didn't know what to expect and waiter was helpful in describing menu....was very pleasantly presented and deliciousSpecial Features:
- Funabc123VIPDined on 10/23/2014great selection of tapas but you have to like Spanish wine - there is not much else to pick fromSpecial Features:
- perfect!njdinetteDined on 10/23/2014I was afraid we'd be rushed through dinner at this popular spot, but that was not the case. Our table of two shared a total of seven dishes, would order each and every one again. The service was friendly and attentive, not overbearing - even advised us when we began over-ordering. The decor is fabulous!I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryallthetimeDined on 10/23/2014Great staff-friendly, fun-everyone was smiling. Food was great, on the pricey side, but then again, this is NYC. This place is more a tapas bar for sharing food, vs the sister restaurant next door: ABC Kitchen. Took my 13yr old son-we loved everything: calamari, Berkshire pork tacos, guacamole, tenderloin, etc. highly recommend the fritters for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodabcdDined on 10/22/2014Our party ordered the guacamole (very good), the calamari (good, not great but got several recommendations about it), the short rib tacos (delicious) and the arroz con pollo (AWESOME). Would definitely come back and try some other stuff, but probably would still want the arroz con pollo.Special Features:
- what an experience!!spunkyDined on 10/20/2014I was blown away by the decor, ambience, service and most of all by the quality of the food. Beautifully presented and carefully prepared. Every single bite of my food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd course served during 1st courseStellaDined on 10/20/2014- we had the fixed price lunch-menu - we were still eating our first course, a waiter came with the second course and put the plates simply next to the first courseSpecial Features:
- DisappointedFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/19/2014We thought the food was ok -- certainly not great, and we don't understand why it was so hard to get a reservation. Clearly a popular place, but we found it to be mediocre.
- Perfect for sharingBwoodsVIPDined on 10/15/2014Very hard to get a reservation but worth the constant checking on opentable! The drinks were great and the food portions were small and perfect for sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster RiceLaurieVIPDined on 10/15/2014I really like the food here but would avoid the Lobster Rice as we felt the Lobster was mushy and rice was poorly prepared!Special Features:
- YUMMY CUISINESPClearwaterFLDined on 10/15/2014Energetic and vibrant scene with Latin oriented cuisine is a must for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.