Abalonetti Bar and Grill
57 Fisherman's Wharf
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Abalonetti Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.abalonettimonterey.com/
- Phone: 8313731851x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Phillips 8313731851x
A word from Abalonetti Bar and Grill
Abalonetti Bar and Grill is one of the original restaurants on Monterey's Historic Fisherman's Wharf. Famous for Monterey calamari, we now feature more than 20 different preparations from local squid processed in-house. With ample ocean views, the Wharf's largest waterfront pet-friendly patio, a full bar, cocktail menu and local wine list, Abalonetti has been a favorite of locals for decades, providing a fun and casual waterfront dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Abalonetti Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Abalonetti Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (15)kid-friendly (14)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- EastbayHottiesEastbayHottiesDined on 8/25/2014We found the restaurant online and had no difficulty finding it. was a hike to get to old pier. Only locals were allowed to validate parking. They had excellent Clam chowder. The waitress was very helpful.Special Features:
- LoveLondonDined on 8/20/2014Delicious food, great table by the window and very kind service.
- Calamari!GreatVIPDined on 8/19/2014I had the BBQ calamari and it was the best dish I have ever had here. Highly recommended. I would give them 5 stars but other people in my party, while they enjoyed their dinners, were not as pleased as I was.Special Features:
- Great eveningLCM22Dined on 8/16/2014We had a group of 10 for a small celebration. The table was set up before we arrived, including the high chair I'd requested. We were also placed near an open window/door, and the breeze was much appreciated amongst the crowd. The server was friendly and attentive, and accomodated the inevitable multiple-cards-per-bill issue seamlessly. Well done Abalonetti's, and thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialseabrzDined on 8/15/2014Quality food and service in a tourist mecca. Squid and abalone.Special Features:
- Always GoodPauhoniDined on 7/27/2014Kid friendly and the food is always good. A special treat is the "Local's Menu." Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dog's love the dog friendly menudogdaysofsummerDined on 7/22/2014Food was great, drinks being kept full that's great too. The look on my dogs face when his half pound hamburger came in a Frisbee now that's priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was RealRomaDined on 7/18/2014This is a great restauraunt. I went with a friend of mine because we'd read the Open Table reviews and we like calamari. That's what we ordered, and it was absolutely delicious, marinated, barbecued and sauteed. The ambience was simple, old-fashioned, almost neighborhood despite its location. Service was a little slow, maybe because we'd said we weren't in a hurry, but our waiter was benign and professional. The view is pleasant, and you can eat outdoors, nothing fancy. The bar is small--don't go there to get tanked and rub shoulders and stand around looking at the water. We enjoyed the experience. NB: If you want to order the $2.99 Margarita, tell the waiter that's the Margarita that you want. The upscale Margaritas were tasty.Special Features:
- great food, plain restaurantmonkeyhouseDined on 7/14/2014The food was great. Very fresh, lots of options, great prices. The restaurant is fairly plain as you'd expect from a pier location but clean and not cramped. Great views (we saw harbour seals, sea otters and pelicans). Service was ok. Host was great, very friendly and welcoming. Wait staff were a bit forgetful but pleasant and hard working. Read lots of reviews before choosing this place and glad I did. We had one vegetarian in the party and there was lots of choices. It is hard to find seafood and vegetarian mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BmanniversaryDined on 7/13/2014I liked the atmosphere except noisy and small. Had table by window was nice. Chowder awesome! Didn't care for presentation of plates. Looked just thrown together. Sour creamer for coffee. Had to ask waiter more than once to bring what we wanted.Special Features:
- Overall Outstanding2wiceisniceDined on 7/2/2014Great experience on old fisherman's wharf, we liked it so much we returned for another evening dinner! Great food, service, and atmosphere! Seafood was so fresh, we had cioppino the first night and the dinner special of salmon stuffed with shrimp/lobster the second night. Rich and delicious! The bread was unbelievably good! Had to take some home! The clam chowder was the best on the wharf! We will return to this gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningtomtravelsDined on 6/30/2014Food was enjoyable but not remarkable. Second thought the calamari was a thing of beauty. We had sand dabs, shrimp and chips and salmon filet. Everything was edible and even good but not inspired. I would definitely go back and I'm very glad I ignored all the crappy reviews. In my opinion people have more problem managing expectations than getting bad service and bad food. I got slightly more than expected here but I had a good handle on my expectations. The next night, without the granddaughters or dog we dined at Fandango. Non sense to expect the same experience at both. By the way go see my review of our meal there. Phenominal. I enjoyed both but they are not comparable and I have no right to expect them to be. Good job Abalonetti's!Special Features:
- Back againaku8Dined on 6/16/2014I had a calamari dinner the night before and enjoyed the food and view and wanted to try a different entree so I decided to have lunch the next day. Good size portions and well prepared. There are a lot of choices of the wharf but I would go back again the next time I am in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for Seafood and Fun!RarelyeatsoutDined on 6/14/2014Place we go to celebrate a birthday. Love Calamari and all the staff here. Great atmosphere and delicious seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So Hotdab0709VIPDined on 6/13/2014Having read several positive reviews we were a bit taken back by our dining experience. The abalone was tough and a huge let down, as we went there for that menu item. To be fair, the calamari was perfectly prepared and presented, as were the oysters.
- food excellent everything else ehfoodlvrDined on 6/7/2014We really enjoyed our meals, but the service and the outdoor ambience was fair. We would go back for the food knowing the rest is average at best.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Abalonetti Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Excellent foodKshabDined on 6/1/2014Excellent food and service. Plan on going back before our vacation ends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewAnEatingExperienceDined on 5/17/2014As a Monterey local, I have enjoyed Abolonetti's lunch special. They have fresh fish and great entrees for a reasonable price. I decided to take my family there to celebrate my recent graduation from CSUMB. They loved it, especially since it was on the warf which adds to the historic Monterey vibe. I recommend their cioppino and calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the kidsLovetodineDined on 5/10/2014Nice place near the end of the wharf. Good view of the marina. Food was well prepared, fresh and my seafood pasta had a little bit of everything. Excellent ingredients. And they also had exactly what we were looking for which was Abalone. Minor Suggestion: put the Abalone on the appetizer menu. (we asked for it and got it) Brook our server was a doll and made lunch a wonderful experience. You need to clone her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not RecommendedlocalinthehoodVIPDined on 5/9/2014Kids shrimp popcorn had shells from tails. My son spent most off his time trying to get them off. Can you imagine a kid choking on one? They casually said that's how they are bought for the restaurant. Server was very friendly and attentive. Bad wine list and lobster was chalky. Food just is not good. Manager responded to requests but a smile would go a long way.Special Features:
- Nice dinner on the wharfOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Calamari appetizer nice and tasty. View from inside/outside restaurant is wonderful. Very good/reasonable childrens menu. Casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2014I've been to the restaurant before. Wasn't up to my expectations this time. A bit overpriced for the food served. Yes, it's on Fisherman's Wharf, but....Special Features:
- Always Very GoodlaughingeyesDined on 3/20/2014Always a great spot for early lunch...1130 opening...lovely view...yummy food...great calamari...friendly and understated service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell, AbalonettijefmfftfDined on 3/8/2014We've been coming here for almost ten years. After our visit a year ago, I tried to ignore the signs: maybe just an off night. But after dining here last weekend, it was clear Abalonetti was on the decline. On the positive side: I had seafood pasta which was very good, and the server was attentive. On the negative side: my friend had sand dabs that were more sand than dabs--way too much breading.My husband had swordfish that was burned on the bottom and sitting on a "soup" of indescribable vegetables. And the wine list was truly uninspired. Although all the wines were very reasonably priced, the selection looked like it was picked from the bottom shelf of the grocery store. Kind of sad to say this, but we won't be coming back.Special Features:
- When our group arrived, theAutumnDined on 2/25/2014When our group arrived, the restaurant was very cold. Thankfully, they shut the doors and turned the heater on; otherwise, we would have had to keep our coats on. We drove a long way just for the abalone. I'm sad to say it was just OK. Very small and a bit tasteless. I've had great abalone and that was not the case here. Our waiter was wonderful, but the dining experience was just so so. I think if we'd ordered something else it would have been better.
- we have eaten at abalonetti'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014we have eaten at abalonetti's on several different occasions and this is one of the 1st times we were not pleased with our meals. The clam chowder was thick and tasteless, the linguine/clam sauce had no flavor to it. we had to ask to be moved because the door was left open and it was very cold. Even after they moved us to another table, I had to leave my coat on. Probably will not return.
- Monterey Bay Best BetKimnDebDined on 2/21/2014Outstanding food and service Eddie made our experience notable Marty's Special and Mahi Mahi delightful! We will absolutley go back again next time we are in MontereySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristyIrishEyesDined on 2/16/2014If you are looking for something quaint - not at this spot. To many deep fried foods to be considered fresh fish. The best part of the experience was the martinis and observing a very good bartender behind the bar! I asked for a table with a view and received a table in the way of waiters running back and forth around with food orders. The noise level was horrible and couple that with tired and cranky kids - not my idea of a fun food experience.Special Features:
- PassJessicaDDined on 2/14/2014Went to this restaurant in Fisherman's Wharf with low expectations being a tourist area and all. And those expectations were met. The only positive I had was the Italian bread salad. Tasty. But the fettuccini alfredo was tasteless. My husband has the local's special salmon and he said that it was satisfactory. I disliked the pasta so much that I then ordered a pizza. The pizza was not good. The service was good, but I will not ever return because the food was bad.Special Features:
- Valentines Day DinnerLindseyDined on 2/14/2014Great experience! Seated right away, the table was cute, the waiter Lindsey was perfect! She made our dinner so special! Got an entire crab dinner for $20! Needless to say we left full and very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and Delish Foodlizzylizard217Dined on 2/5/2014Went here for the first time yesterday and was very happy with the service and the quality of the food. I ordered the Parmesan Crushed Rock Fish and it was so delicious. My hubby ordered the Clam Chowder and said it was good and sweet. It had lots of cheese in it, if that's how you like it. The atmosphere inside is romantic and has a view of the ocean. I would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafoodSacriderDined on 1/18/2014A bit noisy to start due to the teenage girls next to us, but quieted down once they left. Delicious Dungeness crab and the cioppino was wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placekarenDined on 11/1/2013Staff was friendly, gave us a great table. prompt service and delicious food! Happy hour margaritas were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem on the pierFloyd5238Dined on 9/27/2013We enjoyed our dinner very much. The place is very casual and fun. We had many choices on the pier and are very glad we chose Abalonetti. The service was very good. I was encouraged to have the abolone. It was delicious. We will return upon our next trip to Monterey.Special Features:
- okay. Good calamari. SlowLindaLuVIPDined on 9/1/2013okay. Good calamari. Slow service only because the poor gal was all alone in a large place. Kitchen too busy, too....took a long time for food (two sister restaurants, side/side)
- Good place to people watch!MarianneDined on 9/1/2013But the patio could use some sprucing up ~ bird yuck on the walls and ground that could use daily power washing (some looked like it had been there a while). Food was good, we had clam chowder and fish & chips which were served at good temps, the chowder wasn't anything special IMO, chunks of overcooked potatoes, few clams, not especially flavorful considering the hype. Still cannot figure out what else was in my gin & tonic ~ didn't taste like a typical one, and the alcohol content was lean. The waitstaff was very nice and they were just fine with us bringing our pups to dinner. The warm bread was the best part and was only brought out at our request and no refills ~ could have been happy with just that and a bowl of chowder!Special Features:
- This restaurant was just OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2013This restaurant was just OK. The food was fair. My tuna was slightly overcooked and the vegetables were soggy. The place was clean but it is clearly a tourist place.
- Never disappointsdanfan0521Dined on 8/25/2013Service was top notch, the food was very good and the ambience was fantastic. We were in to celebrate 32 years of marriage and the trip to Monterey was specifically designed around our dining here. Abalonetti's was more than accommodating. Our waitress even took our picture and provided top-notch service throughout the whole experience. We started with the Fried Clam Strips and an order of Crab Cakes. We recommend the Italian Sausage Sauté. A dish made with sweet/spicy Italian Sausage; sautéd with Roasted bell peppers,sautéed onions, marinara, penne pasta. Hmmm!!! We also tried the Steak & Fries ($16.95) with Shrimp Scampi ($9.95 extra). It was a half pound center-cut top sirloin steak – sautéed fresh vegetables and fries.Special Features:
- Touristy but TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013The restaurant is located on the Pier, which makes for a touristy vibe, but we needed a place quickly and they had a table for four ready to go. The service was outstanding, our waiter was knowledgable and happy to modify dishes when we asked. Overall I was a little underwhelmed with my dish, as were my friends. The oysters and crab cakes were delicious, but closer inspection of the menu revealed a lot of fried options, and few healthy dishes. This is the perfect place to indulge your craving for calamari, but don't come here looking for anything gourmet. The wines were very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Wharf restaurant fears realizedRandyDined on 8/10/2013Was hoping it would rise above the typical tourist trap restaurant on the wharf. Unfortunately it did not. Food was adequate at best, service was a little bit better. When the front of house manager is sitting at the bar as you exit the restaurant, within five feet of him, and he does not say a word to to you, your last impression of the place is not a positive one.