4511 McKinney Avenue
Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kentrathbun.com/
- Phone: 2145593111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday to Friday 5:00pm to 7:00pm and 9:00pm to 11:00pm
Ask about private lunches or private events on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kent Rathbun
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy Iron Chef Kent Rathbun's cuisine in your own home or other venue! Let Kent Rathbun Catering cook up the goods at your next event, large or small; we can accommodate. Contact Kent Rathbun Catering at 214-619-3555.
- Special Events: If you are interested in wine maker dinners, interactive cooking classes, culinary tours and other special events. Visit http://kentrathbun.com/signup.html to sign up for our newsletter.
A word from Abacus
Located in the Knox-Henderson area of Dallas, Iron Chef America Winner Chef Rathbun's cuisine will not disappoint. Don't miss our signature dish Lobster Shooters. You will also find prime beef, fresh fish flown in daily and much more on the ever changing, innovative menu. Monday through Thursday you can order the 6 or 9 course Chef's Tasting Menu, which can also be paired with wines from our award wining wine list.Continued
For parties of 8 to 11, you can dine at the Chef's Table. Come early and enjoy The Bar at Abacus. We also offer Kent Rathbun Elements, a line of scratch products for the home chef. See you soon!
For parties of 8 to 11, you can dine at the Chef's Table. Come early and enjoy The Bar at Abacus. We also offer Kent Rathbun Elements, a line of scratch products for the home chef. See you soon!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abacus - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Abacus reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (170)fit for foodies (137)romantic (107)notable wine list (87)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (42)good for groups (42)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (8)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Abacus is the real dealDaveNCollDined on 10/15/2014Just spent a week in Napa Valley, and they have nothing on this place. Every bit as good as the Michelin Star restaurants we enjoyed. Except maybe the staff, Abacus was better! Loved our whole dining experience, can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Fabulous As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2014Abacus is now, and always has been, a personal favorite. The food is divine and the service top-notch. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014We have always enjoyed coming to Abacus, but The service this time was very un-attentitve (especially since he had a 10-top next to us. Not to mention, you called us regarding our anniversary and made sure that names were spelled correctly and then it was never even mentioned or anything done for the anniversary. Also, we were asked if we had paid for our bottle of wine, instead of asking the bartender. Not so wonderful this time
- Amazing Food!macaja33Dined on 10/4/2014Had the privilege to eat here over the weekend with a few friends. We all ordered something different and did not have a bad bite of food among the four of us. The lamb was amazing, the bone-in filet was perfect. The mac and cheese was amazing. The caesar salad was unique and also fantastic. My month is watering just thinking about the food. Can't wait to go back. Only negative comment would be on the ambiance. It's not the most appealing layout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpectationsFoodyDined on 10/3/2014I have been here once before and really enjoyed it. This time all four of our dinners were really salty. 2 of us didn't even finish it because of how salty it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/2/2014Came in as a single diner and as forced to eat in the bar area. The staff tried to be helpful but really to busy to give the level of attention one would expect from this level of restaurant.
- Best Food and Service in DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/24/2014Steve was our waiter the other night, and I was really really impressed. His service skills were top notch, and was very knowledgeable with the wine list (which is AMAZING). My friends and I all know a good amount about wine, but we really couldn't decide because everything on the wine menu is notable and excellent. Steve helped us narrow it down. Get the lobster shooters - they're out of this world. Sushi and sashimi were excellent, as were our meat courses as well.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014My wife and I loved our experience at Abacus. Highly recommend and we will be back ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014A lot of hype surrounding this place and the only thing that delivered was cost. Food was average and foodies may be disappointed. Nothing really blew me away to match the hype. Service was ok except I got charged the wrong table twice. Wine list good. Its pretty loud so if you want to talk and have a great meal, Save your money, there is much better in Dallas.Special Features:
- Very Nice PlaceCoboDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful food and service! Took my fiance' there for her birthday and they treated her very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal food and great drinkscnorthamDined on 9/12/2014We went here for my boyfriend's birthday and had a lovely, lovely experience. We tried a few of the specialty cocktails, including the Big Daddy, Ginger Basil Gimlet, Gin Gin Mule, and some kind of great peach and whiskey cocktail. We recommend all of them! The food was absolutely wonderful. We had Big Plates with lamb and salmon after starting with the lobster shooters and calamari. To finish we had a chocolate dessert, as well as some sort of pineapple cake brûlée. Everything was cooked perfectly, and Chef Rathburn and his sous chefs even signed a menu for the occasion! I'd love to go back on a weeknight to try the menu with wine pairings. Overall, a wonderful experience, and I will most definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStevoDined on 9/12/2014Food was fabulous. Lamb shank was delish. Great placeSpecial Features:
- The entire gourmet packageMrTedDined on 9/11/2014Ever-changing menu and a most interesting wine lists combine with impeccable service at this North Dallas gourmet staple. Steve was our server and his dialogue from menu presentation, to the meal, to introduction of fabulous desserts made this a memorable evening. Entrees chosen varied from fish to pork tenderloin to duck breast to lamb, all supported by a great bottle(s!) of Crozes-Hermitage at "only" $100 (actually a bargain for that bottle.) Only beef might be that the wine list, while varied and superbly chosen, is a little pricey particularly on the low end. Also not a superb selection of Italian and Spanish wines, although French and California wines are very well and broadly represented. In all a thoroughly delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a special occasionBusterVIPDined on 9/9/2014this is one of the best restaurants in Dallas; I have always had wonderful meals here. Allen Brothers is their supplier for beef so steaks are superb.Special Features:
- lisaVIPDined on 9/6/2014this is one of the best in Dallas! I highly encourage you try this restaurant if you have not been!Special Features:
- great serviceFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014really liked it here. did not experience the cocktails but the wine list was great. Sushi amazing and fresh. pricey ribeye but delish. my nephew had the duck which he has never had before and loved it. Rosemary in the mushroom side dish turned me off and my BBQ sauce needed to be on the side. the coffee and desserts were a masterpieceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryjefelangDined on 8/30/2014We went to Abacus a few years ago for our anniversary. After 5 years in the metroplex and experiencing some incredible restaurants in many neighborhoods- so glad we decided to return for another anniversary to Abacus. The atmosphere is so perfect- elegant yet trendy. The service was phenomenal, asking if we wanted to just take our time and enjoy the evening there or move more quickly(thanks, Austi). And the food was amazing. You can't beat the Lobster Shooter experience. Beef tenderloin was perfect, the duck was the best I ever had in any dining experience. Marvelous desserts-Black Forest is my pick. I am so impressed that this restaurant remains on point. Special occasion or a great night out- you can not go wrong with Abacus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFusionFrogDined on 8/27/2014We recently took a group of 11 coworkers to Abacus. The wine list and menu are always impressive, and this time was no different. Our server was polite and attentive throughout the evening. We started with sushi and appetizers, moved on to soups/salads, then entrees, then dessert. However, the separate courses took entirely too long to prepare, and the group had grown restless before entrees even arrived. About half of the group ordered some type of steak, and every single one was extremely overdone. Mine, which was ordered rare plus, was the only one with pink left in the middle. Our server commented that they appeared overcooked, but given how long we'd all waited, we chose to eat them any way. Another long wait for dessert, too.Special Features:
- Ehkazmi1986Dined on 8/25/2014After reading a bunch of fabulous reviews I was a bit disappointed. The menu was extensive. We opted to go for the tasting menu, this way we'd get a good feel for the restaurant. Our 5 course menu consisted of the following: 1. Salmon -- absolutely delicious 2. Scallop -- It was cooked well but unfortunately the bed quinoa that it was on was too crunchy 3. Bison -- pretty good 4. Venison -- gross...the bed of veggies were under cooked and the venison had a gross after taste 5. Hazelnut Macaroon -- It was cute, but not memorable Over all the food was eh... The service - SLOW. I would say a good 15 min to take our order...e a 15 min in between courses which is too long. Service really was not up to par for a highly rated restaurant.Special Features:
- ImpeccableHonkyTonkVIPDined on 8/23/2014This visit was during restaurant week, so I didn't have high expectations. The meal portions were good sized, service was impeccable, and experience was similar to a normal evening at the restaurant. I was very impressed and appreciated that Abacus makes the effort to provide patrons with a great experience regardless of what type of evening it is.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DiningBshae342Dined on 8/23/2014We have been wanting to try Abacus for a few years and thought restaurant week would be a good opportunity. The bar was packed (Cowboys game on), but we were able to be seating 20 mins prior to our reservation time. The food was great and the portion sizes just right. Overall it was a great experience and look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week 8/23OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Abacus might have one of the best dining rooms in the city in terms of vibe, atmosphere, crowd, noise level, and décor. A fun place to be. There was outstanding service even when it's something easy to sacrifice during restaurant week. Ceviche appetizer, beef flat-iron & salmon entrees, and recommended wine pairings were all great. The only surprising let down of the evening was the dessert. Really not on par with the rest of the meal or for a restaurant with the reputation of Abacus. Hopefully just a one time thing. Overall, it was the usual classy dining experience you expect from Abacus. A really enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!MagicDined on 8/23/2014Outstanding food, service and ambiance! Looking forward to our next meal at Abacus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Food was very average. The lobster shooters have too much breading. Very small portion. Desserts were plain.
- excellent spotMatsuiDined on 8/23/2014hands down one of best restaurants in dallas; amazing food; perfect for special occasion or business dinnerSpecial Features:
- Outstanding ServiceIslandermom40Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I took my mother-in-law to Abacus for her birthday. Her birthday falls during restaurant week so it is always a challenge. We were greeted at the door and seated right away, which can be difficult during restaurant week. OUr server was attentive and friendly. He even brought my mother-in-law her own special individual dessert since it was her birthday. My only complaint would be that the buffalo spring rolls were a little greasy. The calamari was fantastic and also the corn soup. My duck dish was wonderful. I wish we could have picked just one of the dessert, as I am not a fan of coconut, but I loved the strawberry shortcake and my mother-in-law loved the smores bread pudding. Other all we had a great time!!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperienceBellaDined on 8/23/2014The food was fine. The service was fine. The overall experience was nothing spectacular. It was a fair exchange. Did not feel that the restaurant is overpriced as I have read in other reviews.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerpatandalDined on 8/23/2014We were excited to have a chance to visit this highly rated Restaurant. I chose 2 items the waiter highlighted. Both were very disappointing. When did it become "Gourmet" to use GRITS as a base. It looks to me to be the CHEAPEST way to fill a dish and not use fresh vegetables that cost a great deal more. My Salmon over grits was uninspired. My husband ordered the Shrimp. It was similarly adorned but consisted of 3 marginal sized shrimp. We looked forward to the bite sized dessert tray. Again, what a miss. Most restaurants showcase their entrees during Restaurant Week but Abacus seemed to want to get through as cheaply as possible. The positive is the waitstaff and the ambiance but this cannot overcome the poor food and uninspired menu.
- Fabulous Abacus!Silver5064Dined on 8/22/2014Both the small plates and the large plates were excellent. Our server -- Brendan, I believe -- was on the top of his game on what appeared to be a very busy night. The other wait staff were never far away and were always attentive. My friend and I agreed that this was one of our top dining experiences over the last five or six years. And, those lobster/scallion shooters were a treat! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ExperienceXcgrrlyDined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try Abacus during restaurant week, and it was a great experience! We didn't know that during restaurant week, they only serve that select menu, but that wasn't an issue as we wanted to dine on this specific menu for a pre-set $45/person. There were plenty of choices between the small plates and large plates, and we really enjoyed getting the 3 dessert sampler at the end of the meal to share. The lobster shoots were totally worth getting, but would have been a nice free 4th course had I gotten the Central Market certificate. The flavors and portions of the main courses were perfect, and the ceviche was the standout on the small plates. Calamari did not have very much flavor. Just tasted fried, nothing special.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The calamari was horrible along with the iron steak that had a strange taste, so bad was unable to eat very much of it. To end it all the dessert was not good, what is the point in spending 45 dollars a person if it doesn't taste good at all. Don't see myself going back to this restaurant but definitely will tell people not to go here.
- Good food and service but rushedLuv2dineDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed the food and service at Abacus. No complaint there. However, when someone called to confirm our reservation, I was told that the duration of our dinner would be about 1 hour 30 minutes. I was quite surprised to hear that since I had never heard of any restaurant trying to get guests out of the door even before they got there. As you would expect, they didn't offer any coffee or tea after our dinner, and we felt we would "outstay our welcome" should we order anything after dinner. While we were enjoying the wonderful food, in the back of our minds, we kept thinking about the time we spent at the restaurant, and tried to finish our meal before our allotted time was up. It sure has made our experience less enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always an experienceyummyDined on 8/21/2014Love love abacus, waitstaff and food are top of the echelon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeFoodExperienceDined on 8/21/2014Abacus is always evolving. Food is good and so many great choices. The staff here really make the experience complete. From the Valet to the person who refills your water and waiter. They know the food. You don't hear ' gee, I have not tried that...' Great suggestions and always have a fun time.Special Features:
- Wouldn't recommendclosetgourmetDined on 8/21/2014Service and ambience are critical to the overall dining experience. Poor service/ambience can quickly drag the overall dining experience into the muck. Sadly, that's what happened during our visit to Abacus. Upon entering the restaurant (and, not surprisingly, upon leaving) we got the cold shoulder from the maître d. Being warm and welcoming to your customer is the most important job for the maître d, since these interactions provide the critical first and last impressions of your business. While the food was good and our waiter was fine, the ambience was disjointed at best. In sum, we enjoyed better cuisine in Dallas with far superior service and ambience at other establishments, so won't revisit Abacus nor will we recommend it to friends.
- Heavenly!Foodexplorer1Dined on 8/20/2014One of the best restaurants in Dallas without a doubt. Every plate is exquisite and the flat iron steak was the most delicious thing ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okmemphis10Dined on 8/20/2014Not the Abacus food that I had experienced before. I used to rank this as the #1 restaurant in Dallas but after the last experiences it has fallen down a few notches.Special Features:
- Restuarant weekKmldinerDined on 8/20/2014Amazing experience during restuarant week. Staff was knowledgeable and efficient. The food and my martini were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekjweezyDined on 8/20/2014Decided to finally try Abacus during restaurant week. The food was good, but not remarkable. The servers just seemed very hurried and disengaged throughout the meal. Granted it's restaurant week and I'm sure they hate the slew of people coming in and are quite busy, but throughout the meal the waitress never removed the empty glass I had from the bar and I had to ask more than once to order a glass of wine. She was friendly enough, just seemed quite hurried and indifferent to the dining experience. Will likely go back and try on another night as I hope it would be better. Bartenders were great while we were waiting for a our table, super attentive and made great cocktails. Overall, not sure that I'd recommend it though.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We went on restaurant week and really enjoyed everything. We will definitely go back. A little pricey for my normal dining out budget so this will be a special place for us.Special Features: