4511 McKinney Avenue
Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kentrathbun.com/
- Phone: 2145593111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday to Friday 5:00pm to 7:00pm and 9:00pm to 11:00pm
Ask about private lunches or private events on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kent Rathbun
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy Iron Chef Kent Rathbun's cuisine in your own home or other venue! Let Kent Rathbun Catering cook up the goods at your next event, large or small; we can accommodate. Contact Kent Rathbun Catering at 214-619-3555.
- Special Events: If you are interested in wine maker dinners, interactive cooking classes, culinary tours and other special events. Visit http://kentrathbun.com/signup.html to sign up for our newsletter.
A word from Abacus
Located in the Knox-Henderson area of Dallas, Iron Chef America Winner Chef Rathbun's cuisine will not disappoint. Don't miss our signature dish Lobster Shooters. You will also find prime beef, fresh fish flown in daily and much more on the ever changing, innovative menu. Monday through Thursday you can order the 6 or 9 course Chef's Tasting Menu, which can also be paired with wines from our award wining wine list.Continued
For parties of 8 to 11, you can dine at the Chef's Table. Come early and enjoy The Bar at Abacus. We also offer Kent Rathbun Elements, a line of scratch products for the home chef. See you soon!
For parties of 8 to 11, you can dine at the Chef's Table. Come early and enjoy The Bar at Abacus. We also offer Kent Rathbun Elements, a line of scratch products for the home chef. See you soon!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abacus - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Abacus reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (191)fit for foodies (153)romantic (122)notable wine list (101)hot spot (61)vibrant bar scene (51)good for groups (48)neighborhood gem (42)late-night find (12)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very Nice PlaceCoboDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful food and service! Took my fiance' there for her birthday and they treated her very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStevoDined on 9/12/2014Food was fabulous. Lamb shank was delish. Great placeSpecial Features:
- The entire gourmet packageMrTedDined on 9/11/2014Ever-changing menu and a most interesting wine lists combine with impeccable service at this North Dallas gourmet staple. Steve was our server and his dialogue from menu presentation, to the meal, to introduction of fabulous desserts made this a memorable evening. Entrees chosen varied from fish to pork tenderloin to duck breast to lamb, all supported by a great bottle(s!) of Crozes-Hermitage at "only" $100 (actually a bargain for that bottle.) Only beef might be that the wine list, while varied and superbly chosen, is a little pricey particularly on the low end. Also not a superb selection of Italian and Spanish wines, although French and California wines are very well and broadly represented. In all a thoroughly delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a special occasionBusterVIPDined on 9/9/2014this is one of the best restaurants in Dallas; I have always had wonderful meals here. Allen Brothers is their supplier for beef so steaks are superb.Special Features:
- lisaVIPDined on 9/6/2014this is one of the best in Dallas! I highly encourage you try this restaurant if you have not been!Special Features:
- great serviceFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014really liked it here. did not experience the cocktails but the wine list was great. Sushi amazing and fresh. pricey ribeye but delish. my nephew had the duck which he has never had before and loved it. Rosemary in the mushroom side dish turned me off and my BBQ sauce needed to be on the side. the coffee and desserts were a masterpieceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryjefelangDined on 8/30/2014We went to Abacus a few years ago for our anniversary. After 5 years in the metroplex and experiencing some incredible restaurants in many neighborhoods- so glad we decided to return for another anniversary to Abacus. The atmosphere is so perfect- elegant yet trendy. The service was phenomenal, asking if we wanted to just take our time and enjoy the evening there or move more quickly(thanks, Austi). And the food was amazing. You can't beat the Lobster Shooter experience. Beef tenderloin was perfect, the duck was the best I ever had in any dining experience. Marvelous desserts-Black Forest is my pick. I am so impressed that this restaurant remains on point. Special occasion or a great night out- you can not go wrong with Abacus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFusionFrogDined on 8/27/2014We recently took a group of 11 coworkers to Abacus. The wine list and menu are always impressive, and this time was no different. Our server was polite and attentive throughout the evening. We started with sushi and appetizers, moved on to soups/salads, then entrees, then dessert. However, the separate courses took entirely too long to prepare, and the group had grown restless before entrees even arrived. About half of the group ordered some type of steak, and every single one was extremely overdone. Mine, which was ordered rare plus, was the only one with pink left in the middle. Our server commented that they appeared overcooked, but given how long we'd all waited, we chose to eat them any way. Another long wait for dessert, too.Special Features:
- Ehkazmi1986Dined on 8/25/2014After reading a bunch of fabulous reviews I was a bit disappointed. The menu was extensive. We opted to go for the tasting menu, this way we'd get a good feel for the restaurant. Our 5 course menu consisted of the following: 1. Salmon -- absolutely delicious 2. Scallop -- It was cooked well but unfortunately the bed quinoa that it was on was too crunchy 3. Bison -- pretty good 4. Venison -- gross...the bed of veggies were under cooked and the venison had a gross after taste 5. Hazelnut Macaroon -- It was cute, but not memorable Over all the food was eh... The service - SLOW. I would say a good 15 min to take our order...e a 15 min in between courses which is too long. Service really was not up to par for a highly rated restaurant.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DiningBshae342Dined on 8/23/2014We have been wanting to try Abacus for a few years and thought restaurant week would be a good opportunity. The bar was packed (Cowboys game on), but we were able to be seating 20 mins prior to our reservation time. The food was great and the portion sizes just right. Overall it was a great experience and look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week 8/23OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Abacus might have one of the best dining rooms in the city in terms of vibe, atmosphere, crowd, noise level, and décor. A fun place to be. There was outstanding service even when it's something easy to sacrifice during restaurant week. Ceviche appetizer, beef flat-iron & salmon entrees, and recommended wine pairings were all great. The only surprising let down of the evening was the dessert. Really not on par with the rest of the meal or for a restaurant with the reputation of Abacus. Hopefully just a one time thing. Overall, it was the usual classy dining experience you expect from Abacus. A really enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!MagicDined on 8/23/2014Outstanding food, service and ambiance! Looking forward to our next meal at Abacus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Food was very average. The lobster shooters have too much breading. Very small portion. Desserts were plain.
- excellent spotMatsuiDined on 8/23/2014hands down one of best restaurants in dallas; amazing food; perfect for special occasion or business dinnerSpecial Features:
- Outstanding ServiceIslandermom40Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I took my mother-in-law to Abacus for her birthday. Her birthday falls during restaurant week so it is always a challenge. We were greeted at the door and seated right away, which can be difficult during restaurant week. OUr server was attentive and friendly. He even brought my mother-in-law her own special individual dessert since it was her birthday. My only complaint would be that the buffalo spring rolls were a little greasy. The calamari was fantastic and also the corn soup. My duck dish was wonderful. I wish we could have picked just one of the dessert, as I am not a fan of coconut, but I loved the strawberry shortcake and my mother-in-law loved the smores bread pudding. Other all we had a great time!!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperienceBellaDined on 8/23/2014The food was fine. The service was fine. The overall experience was nothing spectacular. It was a fair exchange. Did not feel that the restaurant is overpriced as I have read in other reviews.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerpatandalDined on 8/23/2014We were excited to have a chance to visit this highly rated Restaurant. I chose 2 items the waiter highlighted. Both were very disappointing. When did it become "Gourmet" to use GRITS as a base. It looks to me to be the CHEAPEST way to fill a dish and not use fresh vegetables that cost a great deal more. My Salmon over grits was uninspired. My husband ordered the Shrimp. It was similarly adorned but consisted of 3 marginal sized shrimp. We looked forward to the bite sized dessert tray. Again, what a miss. Most restaurants showcase their entrees during Restaurant Week but Abacus seemed to want to get through as cheaply as possible. The positive is the waitstaff and the ambiance but this cannot overcome the poor food and uninspired menu.
- Fabulous Abacus!Silver5064Dined on 8/22/2014Both the small plates and the large plates were excellent. Our server -- Brendan, I believe -- was on the top of his game on what appeared to be a very busy night. The other wait staff were never far away and were always attentive. My friend and I agreed that this was one of our top dining experiences over the last five or six years. And, those lobster/scallion shooters were a treat! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ExperienceXcgrrlyDined on 8/22/2014My boyfriend and I decided to try Abacus during restaurant week, and it was a great experience! We didn't know that during restaurant week, they only serve that select menu, but that wasn't an issue as we wanted to dine on this specific menu for a pre-set $45/person. There were plenty of choices between the small plates and large plates, and we really enjoyed getting the 3 dessert sampler at the end of the meal to share. The lobster shoots were totally worth getting, but would have been a nice free 4th course had I gotten the Central Market certificate. The flavors and portions of the main courses were perfect, and the ceviche was the standout on the small plates. Calamari did not have very much flavor. Just tasted fried, nothing special.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The calamari was horrible along with the iron steak that had a strange taste, so bad was unable to eat very much of it. To end it all the dessert was not good, what is the point in spending 45 dollars a person if it doesn't taste good at all. Don't see myself going back to this restaurant but definitely will tell people not to go here.
- Good food and service but rushedLuv2dineDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed the food and service at Abacus. No complaint there. However, when someone called to confirm our reservation, I was told that the duration of our dinner would be about 1 hour 30 minutes. I was quite surprised to hear that since I had never heard of any restaurant trying to get guests out of the door even before they got there. As you would expect, they didn't offer any coffee or tea after our dinner, and we felt we would "outstay our welcome" should we order anything after dinner. While we were enjoying the wonderful food, in the back of our minds, we kept thinking about the time we spent at the restaurant, and tried to finish our meal before our allotted time was up. It sure has made our experience less enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always an experienceyummyDined on 8/21/2014Love love abacus, waitstaff and food are top of the echelon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeFoodExperienceDined on 8/21/2014Abacus is always evolving. Food is good and so many great choices. The staff here really make the experience complete. From the Valet to the person who refills your water and waiter. They know the food. You don't hear ' gee, I have not tried that...' Great suggestions and always have a fun time.Special Features:
- Wouldn't recommendclosetgourmetDined on 8/21/2014Service and ambience are critical to the overall dining experience. Poor service/ambience can quickly drag the overall dining experience into the muck. Sadly, that's what happened during our visit to Abacus. Upon entering the restaurant (and, not surprisingly, upon leaving) we got the cold shoulder from the maître d. Being warm and welcoming to your customer is the most important job for the maître d, since these interactions provide the critical first and last impressions of your business. While the food was good and our waiter was fine, the ambience was disjointed at best. In sum, we enjoyed better cuisine in Dallas with far superior service and ambience at other establishments, so won't revisit Abacus nor will we recommend it to friends.
- Heavenly!Foodexplorer1Dined on 8/20/2014One of the best restaurants in Dallas without a doubt. Every plate is exquisite and the flat iron steak was the most delicious thing ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okmemphis10Dined on 8/20/2014Not the Abacus food that I had experienced before. I used to rank this as the #1 restaurant in Dallas but after the last experiences it has fallen down a few notches.Special Features:
- Restuarant weekKmldinerDined on 8/20/2014Amazing experience during restuarant week. Staff was knowledgeable and efficient. The food and my martini were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekjweezyDined on 8/20/2014Decided to finally try Abacus during restaurant week. The food was good, but not remarkable. The servers just seemed very hurried and disengaged throughout the meal. Granted it's restaurant week and I'm sure they hate the slew of people coming in and are quite busy, but throughout the meal the waitress never removed the empty glass I had from the bar and I had to ask more than once to order a glass of wine. She was friendly enough, just seemed quite hurried and indifferent to the dining experience. Will likely go back and try on another night as I hope it would be better. Bartenders were great while we were waiting for a our table, super attentive and made great cocktails. Overall, not sure that I'd recommend it though.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We went on restaurant week and really enjoyed everything. We will definitely go back. A little pricey for my normal dining out budget so this will be a special place for us.Special Features:
- restaurant week successDschaedlDined on 8/19/2014I've eaten here once before, came back for restaurant week and was not disappointed. The entire menu looked delicious! I got the duck and it was amazing. You MUST GET LOBSTER SHOOTERS!Special Features:
- Great as usualArgonautDined on 8/19/2014My group of friends go here annually for Restaurant Week and the Abacus did not disappoint. Service was great, the food was beautifully presented and delicious. I had the ravioli appetizer followed by the pork crusted tenderloin both were exceptional and probably the highlight of all the dishes. Abacus is one of my top 5 restaurants in DFW.Special Features:
- Excellent foodLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was absolutely outstanding. My husband and I are attending 12 restaurants got restaurant week and so far this has been the best one. Highly recommend. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good,dessert dissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We have mixed reviews, very creative menu, appetizer was very small portion, entree was really good and dessert disappointing.
- Girls Night Out DinnerTravelRNTastingDallasDined on 8/19/2014We loved it! We were looking for an elegant but not over the top, fine dining experience and we were WOW'd. Food was superb, service was outstanding and the ambiance was exactly what we had hoped. When we were done we decided to stay longer for drinks in the lounge, because as it turns out, it looked like a local hot spot with a comfortable amount of guests in the lounge area to relax and enjoy a few more! Will definitely come back and have already been recommending it to others. ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abacus Understands Restaurant WeekDallasiteVIPDined on 8/19/2014When we were given our menus, we were told they only do a Restaurant Week menu so that they are able to maintain quality control. The menu is more extensive than most of the abbreviated RW menus and the quality was indeed a higher standard. This was the best RW experience in many years. The food was splendid and service was top notch. We did the wine pairings for $35 & the pours were extremely generous. The only meh item was their famous lobster shooters. The sauce is amazing, but we felt like a grilled lobster (instead of tempura/fried) would have highlighted the dish and the lobster. It was 'fine' but not a standout to us. The Caesar salad was perfection as was the beef tenderloin ($15 upcharge and worth EVERY penny).
- Restaurant WeekAllisonRDined on 8/18/2014I had the pleasure of dining at Abacus with a couple of girlfriends yesterday evening, and everything from the food to the service was superb. The Restaurant Week menu was outstanding with a much wider variety of options than I've seen from comparable restaurants. I ordered the cornmeal crusted calamari and roasted duck breast, and both were delicious and beautifully presented. I also had the chance to try my friends' carrot ravioli, sweet gem lettuce salad, flank steak, and pork chop, and they were all wonderful as well. The dessert was my favorite, because we were offered three different small desserts to sample, and once again, each was delicious. I've wanted to dine at Abacus for a while, and it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Outstanding servicetexasDined on 8/18/2014We ate here for restaurant week. Overall, the service is very attentive and professional, the restaurant has a warm, relaxed ambiance, and the presentation of plates is well done. The food is luxurious and expertly prepared, but there's just something about it that keeps me from rating it over the top. Maybe it was the calamari, although tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, it was rather tasteless. The salmon dish was the star, we both loved it. Although, the flat iron was so tender it could be cut with a butter knife, it comes in a close second. We would also recommend the spring rolls for the small plate, they're small, but packed full of flavor.Special Features:
- Best meal in a long timeRachaelreneeDined on 8/16/2014Dinned there for restaurant week. We were sat within 5 minutes of our reservation and had a very attentive server. The meal was outstanding! We will definitely go back for special occasions. It was a bit noisy for a fine restaurant but it wasn't distracting for me, however I can see how it could be for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We went here for Restaurant Week and were pleased that the quality of food didn't suffer. Service was attentive and although they got one side order a little mixed up, they quickly made up for it and then deducted it from the bill. They only thing that detracted from the experience was the noise level.Special Features:
- reviewerdudeDined on 8/16/2014Visited Abacus during Restaurant week. Didn't know what to expect, never had gone before. Wonderfully surprised. Heard rumors that some restaurants cut back on servings. I had the Pecan crusted pork chops and my date had the duck. Absolutely enjoyed both, no small portions, great presentation. Ken Rathbun made a point to personally visit every table. Very impressed. Will try and visit his other restaurant in Plano.Special Features: