New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.aanganindianrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-280-4100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 10:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Inder Singh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Catering for 15 to 500 available with variety of catering options, please call for details.
A word from Aangan
Aangan uses authentic Indian food prepared with perfection and served in a modern environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aangan reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (6)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Tasty...not too spicyManhattanGuyDined on 8/14/2014Everything we had was delicious. The soups had gone down in quality for a while, but now they're back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely go AanganYumolaDined on 8/2/2014Everything about our experience at Aangan was outstanding! The food was succulent! The staff was kind, efficient, and attentive without being overbearing. The picture on the website doesn't do it justice. It's a very charming atmosphere! When we arrived, the restaurant was delightfully quiet, but later a large family came in and it got quite noisy. We didn't mind too much though, because we could see that the family was having a wonderful time. Hence my assessment that this restaurant is good for groups, special occasions and is kid friendly. They left after awhile and it was quiet again. But the food and the wine were superb, and were the main feature! Bravo, Aangan! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS IndiannameVIPDined on 7/29/2014An enjoyable neighborhood spot.. moderately priced.. delicious food.Special Features:
- AuthenticPickandchooseDined on 7/9/2014A friend and I met for dinner, and we were pleasantly surprised by the variety of menu choices and wine selection. The food was outstanding, and we decided that we have to go back to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good local IndianChemmacDined on 7/2/2014I have had lunch here many times. They open at noon, when there are as yet few customers, so the service was prompt. I had a very simple appetiser: just crispy cauliflower in a spicy tomato sauce, but it was delicious; then chicken jalfrezi, an ample serving and likewise very good; plus mango juice to drink. Perhaps being a familiar customer helped, but I think that they are just naturally friendly: all others who arrived were similarly made welcome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aangan is always a taste treatCityMouseDined on 6/22/2014My friend and I tried the prix fixe dinner. It is a good amount of food and includes a glass of wine or beer. The salmon tandoori was fabulous and the lamb tandoori was also fab. It was a quiet Sunday night in early June and it was a nice little getaway.Special Features:
- worth the tripFormerNYerVIPDined on 6/18/2014well-executed, traditional indian dishes with a modern twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rival to Tamarind, DawatNYDRVIPDined on 6/7/2014A small UWS restaurant provides all of the wonderful aromas and succulent food of the great Indian restaurants in NYC. From the fruited Nan to the Rogan Josh, just a wonderful restaurant that never disappoints.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Aangan reviews archive.
- Great ambienceCassandraVIPDined on 5/24/2014Always great service, lovely atmosphere, most delicious naan, and easy location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousISPROUDVIPDined on 5/16/2014I enjoy coming to a restaurant that has delicious food, generous portions, good value....and the service is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodPPS2101VIPDined on 5/11/2014Really good indian food with excellent service. Highly recommend this restaurant if you like outstanding indian food.Special Features:
- delightfulluv2eat40Dined on 5/9/2014Aangan is not big on space but it's certainly big on food. .For a group of six , we all enjoyed our food we kept tasting each other dishes and enjoying the different flavors But service could have been faster and efficient they do need to improve it..Ambience was nice..Overall we would go back .and invite others friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian in the area!engagedmanDined on 5/3/2014I went with a group of four and we tried all different kinds of curry. The service and food was spectacular! I love the ambiance as well! Very quiet and great for a local dining option.Special Features:
- Aangan lunchcmwarwinDined on 4/30/2014We come to Aangan frequently, but this is the first time we've had lunch. Aangan serves lunch on a thali plate, several small dishes, rice, naan & dessert. We all had seafood. My wife & friend had two kinds of shrimp -- I had fish curry & tandoori shrimp. Everything was very good. I do feel the price is too high for the amount of food, but the quality is high & we all enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Consistently Good FoodGCBNYCDined on 4/20/2014This is one of our favorite Indian restaurants in the city. Flavorful, well-prepared dishes, with a good selection of entrees. The restaurant has a modest noise level in a small intimate dining area. We never feel rushed at Aangam and the linen tablecloth and napkins are a nice touch. This is a nice place to enjoy a meal with friends. price is reasonable and quality and consistency of the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AanganemcanflyhiDined on 4/18/2014Tried a new indian restauant in the 100s and really enjoyed ourselves. We first noticed it when we were walking by one night on the street and the ambiance looked great. Made a reservation and they kindly reserved a table near the window for us. Kind and observant staff presented our food in beautiful cooper color bowls. Everything we ordered was tasty the chicken saag, eggplant dish and potato/chickpea appetizer. Would come back again.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceJMcDDined on 4/14/2014My time at Aangan was most pleasurable. The food was great and the servers and staff were all very nice. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aangan againcmwarwinDined on 3/19/2014Aangan is one of our favorites. We've come here a number of times. (Our only gripe is that we do find the drinks a bit pricey.) This time the Lahsooni (cauliflower), our favorite appetizer, was even better than before, because they've made the sauce less sweet and more flavorful. The Poori was perfect! My wife had her favorite Wild Sea Bass which is always great. I tried the Lamb Shanks special -- 2 large shanks, well-seasoned, in a very tasty sauce. Both our mains had a nice mix of veggies -- something you don't often find in Indian restaurants. We were too full for dessert, so of course we'll just have to go back again.Special Features:
- Our second time here. DidISPROUDVIPDined on 3/10/2014Our second time here. Did not disappoint! Delicious food and great service!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/8/2014We have been to many Indian restaurants. This one by far has been the best. We will definitely be going again.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our first time here.ISPROUDVIPDined on 2/7/2014Enjoyed our first time here. Food was delicious and staff very polite. Will return I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will returnLeashaVIPDined on 2/4/2014The food was delicious but the service was slow and not very attentive. That being said, I will return again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice surpriseEricDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant is cozy, the staff is attentive and the food is amazing. So far, the best Indian we've found!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointed - great foodnotboredDined on 1/7/2014My sixth visit to Aangan. Love the food, specially the shrimp dishes. A real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good neighborhood placenot2finickyVIPDined on 1/5/2014Four of us shared an early Sunday night dinner and were delighted to be able to hear each other talk. It's a small room and maybe more noisy when full but it's such a relief not to have to yell. Food was very good,..lamb chops delicious! Samosas are 2-bite sized with a crisp, flakey and non-oily finish and our friends were happy with their lamb saag and a shrimp curry. Crab cakes, however, were ordinary and not very crabby. We did need to ask for flashlights to read the menu but they were happily supplied. I think it is a bit more expensive than most Indian restaurants but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, fantastic food.BartDined on 1/3/2014Great service, fantastic food. Menu has a lot of variety. Service impeccable. Ambience - great for a romantic date after work. Menu does not include hot beverages; tea, coffee, espressoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome addition to the 'hoodAndyFuchsDined on 12/28/2013Ate at Aangan for the first time with a family group. The quality of the cuisine is quite high. The service is friendly. The place is pretty, but a bit overcrowded and noisy if it's full. I'd say that the spicing leans toward the overly sweet side of things. Every dish we tried was somewhat sweet, and even the hottest only mildly spicy. Shrimp in saffron curry was delicious, as was the baingen bartha. Breads were exceptional. And the cheese pakoras were really good and perfectly fried. Plan on spending $35 a head here with a beer or two and you'll be unsurprised. But in the end, that's not outrageous for very well prepared dishes with quality ingredients and solidly competent service. You can do better in NYC, but not uptown.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with take-out.EmilyVIPDined on 12/21/2013We order delivery from Aangan all the time, so we thought we would like eating in the restaurant, too. The food was still good (although my samosas were strangely different from the ones I get when I order). The service was pretty bad. We had to ask to have our waters filled twice, and in the time between our appetizers and our food, two other tables who sat down after our appetizers were finished got their food and almost finished it before ours came. So in the future, we will probably stick with ordering from Aagnan instead of eating at the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant and deliciousmavenDined on 12/7/2013Wonderful neighborhood restaurant. Pretty, quiet, lovely staff, great food.Special Features:
- Food was really good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/2/2013Food was really good, service was good. But the cocktails were awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tranquil gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2013Aangan has been my daughter's favorite restaurant for celebrating her birthday since she was five years old. We love it in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsLLum83VIPDined on 11/11/20136 of us decided to come here for dinner, they have a wide range of Indian dishes, we did the bread basket with 3 types of nann, the Aagan rice (mint rice) and I had the Tikka Masala and my fiancee had a vegetable curry dish. The portions were very good, we were more than happy to take left overs home to enjoy! Great meal, GREAT Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant atmospherexdancer105Dined on 11/7/2013not too full or too loud but louder than on other occasions I have been there. The food is spicy but not overwhelming, the portions were okay -- all in all a nice dinner with a young friend I am mentoring --Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTessVIPDined on 10/31/2013I was introduced to Aangan for dinner by an Indian friend and everything she ordered was delicious. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was inviting and comfortable. I went back for lunch with another friend. Both of us are familiar with Indian cooking and we were delighted with the prix fixe menu. The large platter held seven or eight bowls plus rice and nan. Again the food was delectable, the portions generous and the service outstanding, all this at a reasonable price. I certainly will be back. Thank you, Aangan!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable experienceTessVIPDined on 10/10/2013A friend from India introduced me to this lovely restaurant. The whole experience was very enjoyable, so I definitely will be back and take my turn introducing friends to this place. The food was authentic and delicious, the service attentive and polite, and the check very reasonable. Especially given the paucity of good restaurants in the neighborhood, Aangan is a most welcome addition. Thank you very much, Aangan! I look forward to visiting again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and delicious foodNYCstudentfoodieDined on 9/18/2013Though the city does not lack high-quality Indian restaurants, I often struggle to find authentic Indian food, mirroring the delicious dishes my mother makes. Although I'll never find a restaurant quite at her quality, I was delighted to find homely, wholesome food at Aangan. My Amritsari Chole (garbanzo beans in a tomato and onion gravy) had just the right amount of spice wasn't overly laden with oil. My friends all had equal success with their food. The paneer makhani (cheese in a creamy tomato sauce) wasn't too heavy, as was the lentil and soup and Malai Kebab (chicken kebabs). The breads were also excellent. The ambience is great- not too loud, perfect for dinner with family and friends- and the service extremely fast. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AAnganTurkVIPDined on 9/18/2013Enjoyable small restaurant with a Northern Indian bent. Try the crab cake app for starters. The mains are delicious, especially the sauces. Portions are large and 2 can feed 3 people. The kulchas are the best in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Service EhhhtsmtlDined on 8/31/2013I brought two friends from out of town for dinner and the food was outstanding. However, the service could have been better. It is a small place and was full but it looked like the Maitre d had to serve as our waiter and it took which to 20 minutes. Then one of the orders was incorrect (they brought us Chicken rather than the Salmon we ordered.) By the time the Salmon did arrive, we had finished all of our dinners. To be fair, they gave it to us at no charge to taste and wrap up to take with us. Throughout the entire time they were friendly and apologetic, I will definitely try this place again to see if the service is any better. The food makes it totally worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep the noise downDrMikePNYCVIPDined on 8/31/2013The restaurant managers should not encourage loud groups in what would otherwise be a nice (and should STAY) and quiet dining experience.Special Features:
- Real Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013I find that the food in many ethnic restaurants in NYC (and even more in other regions) is so adapted tourist tastes that it is very bland and almost tasteless. This is NOT the case with food at Aangan. The dishes we ordered were Lamb Rogan Josh and Chicken Masala. The Lamb was very well spiced and peppery (I had asked them not to "Americanize it"). The chicken was well seasoned, but, of course, milder. We ate family style so that both of us could enjoy both tastes. The food was very good. We did not have room for dessert. I highly recommend Aangan. And the prices are such that you can dine here without waiting for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.