5356 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.a16rockridge.com/
- Phone: 5107688003x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Pastry + Coffee: M-Fr 7:00-3:00
Lunch: M-Sa 11:00-3:00
Brunch: Su 11:00-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rocky Maselli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Beginning in January we will be offering a special 3 course menu every Monday at $29 per person with an optional wine pairing in addition to our nightly menu. The prix fixe menus will focus on other beloved highways of Southern Italy and feature dishes from the regions of the mezzogiorno.
A word from A16 Rockridge
A16 restaurant is named for the highway connecting Campania to Puglia and the menu is rooted in the rustic traditions of these lively southern Italian regions. The wine list highlights southern Italian varietals and over 40 wines are available by the glass and half-bottle carafe. The bar features traditional and modern cocktails and a wide selection of amaro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
A16 Rockridge - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A16 Rockridge reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (170)neighborhood gem (138)notable wine list (96)special occasion (81)hot spot (67)vibrant bar scene (61)good for groups (45)romantic (43)late-night find (17)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good but not greatDawnVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent cocktails and wine list with engaging bartender. Appetizer pizza was excellent with nice bubbly crust. Pasta special of the day was fairly bland and undersalted. Albacore with eggplant caponata was excellent-flavorful and good pairing with fish. Salad accompanying pasta was too salty to eat. Chestnut polenta was again on the bland side. Would have expected more consistency in food. Service was friendly but slow and we didn't find out a requested substitution wasn't available until after all the food was on the table. Staff were apologetic and gave complimentary amaro and cookie assortment which were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit Or MissHappyEaterVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was good, but our server was rushing us through our meal. Luckily, the hostess, Dana, saved our evening! Thereafter the experience was divine. Dana also made great recommendations. Lindsey is pretty awesome too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating at A16JustMeDined on 10/19/2014Had a coupon for a special and was very disappointed that there were no substitutions, ie, could not get a glass of wine, rather than a cocktail, and could not get a side if ordered pasta as an entree. Service was slow. The noise level in the restaurant was so high that we could not hold a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/19/2014Really liked the Open Table pay at your table app. Makes it very easy to pay and not have it wait for your check or payment to be processed.
- High Noise levelLarryDined on 10/18/2014The ambient noise level made it difficult to talk to one's friend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening - Great ServiceCassy3VIPDined on 10/10/2014Two couples enjoying a pleasant dinner together. The service was very pleasant, and helpful. The food was very tasty - the pizzas are so fragrant....I would have a gripe that the entree selection was limited and I wish there had been a couple more choices. Nevertheless, the cocktails were very creative - liked the 7 spices - the wine list extensive, and the food was terrific - really liked the fish choice on Friday - surprisingly tasty and filling. Thank You!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2014Had a wonderful Girls night out! We love your homemade sausage when it's available!Special Features:
- Excellent farm to table foodfoodieloverDined on 10/8/2014The food was excellent the cocktail were really good and service was very attentive. My only issue is how loud it is in there, we set in the middle and it was so loud that my ears are still ringing. I will try them for lunch for the great food but dinner because of the noise level is too much for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A16 Rockridge Rocks!LongtimeBerkeleyanDined on 10/4/2014Although 26 hours have passed since we left A16, I can't stop thinking about our meal. The food was so delicious that I entered an altered state, somehow imagining that the meal would last forever. Well, it didn't, and so we'll return... ASAP! From reading Yelp, I came knowing what to order: YES, the fried olives are a MUST! Wonderful sommelier. The roasted calamari was as rave-worthy as everybody claimed. (I'm sorry I had to share the dish with 3 other people!) The fried pizza was also as good as promised, but I recall now that one or two diners mentioned a topping (olives?). I'd prefer that. It says a lot about the restaurant that the LEAST memorable food was the wild salmon. Henceforth I may just stick with the pizze & antipasti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies DelightfoodiefoofooDined on 10/4/2014The wood fired calamari appetizer was full of flavor and texture unlike any calamari dish I've tried. We ordered family style and I was impressed with the overall food quality and informative and friendly waitress. I always ask lots of menu questions and our waitress aimed us to direct hits on appetizer, entree and dessert. Speaking of dessert, the plum sorbetto was amazing.Special Features:
- I Like Marina A16 betterkaykayVIPDined on 10/3/2014We went on a travel zoo voucher and the pros: - Cocktails were very good - Pizza was great - Portions were generous and cons: - it was very very warm on a warm night....evidently no air conditioning or way to get some air circulating - Entree menu was very limited - only 3 items - Seemed to lack flair or creativity in sides (both on the plate and ordered separately) - Vegetables were okay - not great - Potato/chickpea dish was very very rich - could alter this dish to make it more appealing (and I'm a potato freak) All in all - good meal, nice vibe but not great. I have been to Marina A16 many times and thought it far superior to Rockridge.
- They try hardmargaretocDined on 10/2/2014My friend didn't like her wine, suggested by the waiter, so they sent the sommelier over to help and also gave us free and delicious hors d'oeuvres. Food was very good but not cheap. Not a good place to get a regular martini, however. Stick to the excellent wine list and the experts advice. Festive atmosphere. We were lucky to have a corner table.Special Features:
- Mixed experiencemchillsVIPDined on 10/1/2014We had heard so much buzz about this place that we went for my birthday. We did enjoy it. Most of the items were very good; we especially liked the buttered clams and the dick entree. Our server was very nice and attentive to the fact that one of our party is dairy and gluten intolerant. The only downsides were extremely slow service on drinks (it took 15 minutes to get a glass of wine); and the Wednesday special of fritto misto was a greasy, over breaded mess, practically inedible. Even my husband who loves fried foods didn't eat it. This dish was so outside of the quality of the rest of the meal that it makes we wonder if we hit a bad night.Special Features:
- Esoteric A16wereviewDined on 10/1/2014My dining partner and I, who dine out all over the bay area quite frequently, found that the menu at A16 was too overall esoteric with 99% of the entree dishes very high on the "rich" side of the gastronomical index and just COMPLEX dishes. With a very small menu of items, I was hoping for a dish or two that would have been less complex. The service was poor - it felt like they were short about 2-3 servers that they could have used. The place was full, but the service lacked in timeliness of serving our requests. Ice water finally came towards end of meal. Asked twice for a second glass of wine.Special Features:
- Tuesday night: a little noisyBeebo22Dined on 9/30/2014Terrific dinner, pasta and lasagna, and delicious h'ors d'ordouves. We were in the front of the restaurant, near the screen (a warm night) and it was pretty noisy, but the restaurant emptied out after 8:30 and was just right. Great service!Special Features:
- WONDERFUL DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/30/2014We dined on a Sunday night which ended up being a slow night for the restaurant, but a great experience for us. We started with the burrata prosciutto and a green salad which was perfect to share with 3 diners; followed by 3 different pasta dishes, and one chocolate dessert to share as well. We brought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, and ordered a Barolo. The maitre'd was a gem; attentive and funny...our server was knowledgeable about recommending dishes for us. While not particularly inexpensive, we had a wonderful meal and will definitely revisit!Special Features:
- Would not go backBonfireVIPDined on 9/28/2014The appetizers and pizza were very good, but the main dishes were all lacking. They were not hot and just not appealing, boring. And the service was terrible. Drinks were good, ambience nice.
- MiguelVIPDined on 9/28/2014Dinner at A16 (Oakland) was quite enjoyable and met our expectations. We were seated without delay. Service was polite, friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The food was well prepared, delicious, and a large cut above what may be found in other restaurants serving a similar cuisine. My only quibble, and a small one at that, was that we were not permitted to have a glass of wine instead of the included cocktail; not even a beer. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- A16 receives A+ from me!kenwoodreissboyDined on 9/27/2014Being a Caviar courier I'm able to experience many gems of the Bay Area. After picking up from A16 several times, I decided to take my girlfriend for her birthday and my 7 year old's here. Fantastic food, great atmosphere and involved pizza scissoring fun for us all. Will absolutely return for special occasion or just a regular night out. The bar looks great as well for non-formal evening.Special Features:
- Skip the SpecialCasualDinerDined on 9/27/2014Surprised by how small the $13.00 martini was. Everything else went well until the special of the day, the NY strip, arrived - overdone, barely warm and so tough we left it on the plate. Although, overall, the food and service were good, not worth the prices. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Excellent PizzaLaverneDined on 9/27/2014This place has the best pizza and the service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itmccalmoVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is our third time at A16 Rockridge. We like it a lot better than the original. Had a late evening reservation and we were seated with only a brief delay. The food was super and very authentic. We shared our first plates and then each had an entree. The wine was super. The service was friendly. Only positives -- just like the other two times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Overall, A16 was a meh. The food was decent, though over-seasoned, the service was less than stellar, and the food took forever to come out. It even took 20 minutes for our drinks to be served. I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.
- ExcellentWendyDined on 9/24/2014Excellent traditional wood-fired Neapolitan Pizza! Our waitress was a gem, and we even met Shelley, the owner, and had a lovely chat with her about pizza (one of our favorite topics). Thank you A16. You do an outstanding job!Special Features:
- Great place for Italian foodGBearVIPDined on 9/23/2014Italian with a CA flair. Cozy and boisterous place with great food and an impressive wine list and by the glass options. A little on the louder side but fine with us as we can still chat and enjoy our time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - the rest not so greatRickDined on 9/19/2014A 16 has great food, mediocre service, high prices and lots of noise. The food verges on the superb, but given the sum of the rest, it was a lot of money for what you got.Special Features:
- Always a treat.TomB510Dined on 9/18/2014A16 Rockridge is our "go to" spot for delightful, delicious meals served by some of the most plesant, knowledgable and efficient folks we've ever found. Our out of town guests were very impressed and we all came away happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Pizza and cocktails!rosieDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I just went to A16 for the first time. It was a long, leisurely meal with lots of time to study the new decor. We started with very tasty cocktails and an amazing pizza with smoky tomato sauce! He then had the duck (over powered by the sweet pepper relish is was prepared with) and I had the steak (better than the duck, but really not as remarkable as the pizza). I ordered the side of farro and cooked greens with my steak and really could not be less impressed. I forget my husbands exact words to describe it, but it was something like "it might be good for the birds." So when we come back we'll stick to the pizza. P.S. Our waitress recommended wine with dinner and both were very good. She treated us well for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great Lasagna!RobertDined on 9/16/2014Lasagna is good enough to become a regular on the menu. Pleasant and relaxed dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KariKVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was my first time at A16 and everything was fantastic. The service was outstanding including the wait staff as well as the restaurant manager. The cocktail list was unique and delicious. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Too loud to enjoySF2OAKDined on 9/13/2014The food was good to very good, service attentive and very good, it didn't matter it was absolutely painfully noisy. I couldn't wait to leave. Until I read that A16 does something to lessen the sound I won't return.Special Features:
- A 16 - not a highdpeed highwayMonalindaDined on 9/12/2014We really go like the good ambience and servers... But the drinks and kitchen are notoriously slow and off balance with the delivery... I would say the service does not flow well -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lambchop was all gristleJannullaDined on 9/11/2014I had heard lots of good reviews for A16 so went for dinner with friends. Others had the Thursday special chicken and loved it. I ordered the lamb chop and it was not a good cut. It was all gristle and one bite of meat. Definitely not worth $28.
- Check A16 outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Excellent service and wonderful food and atmosphere. We started with the chef's antipasti selection, which included pork belly and salmon carpaccio. Tasty, although my friend thought the pork belly was too fatty, I loved it. For dinner, she had the squid ink fettuccine with clams, mussels, garlic, chili and white wine. I had the chicken alla diavola. We both loved our dishes. Wine selection was fabulous, and their cocktails were delicious. A great time for sure, A16 is a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.kathyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Fun place. Efficient and friendly staff. Imaginative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeJansbirthdayDined on 9/6/2014Six of us went to dinner for a friend's birthday. They gave us a room in back which was terrific as it was quieter (barring us) and we could hear hear each other. The cocktails and wine were outstanding. The appetizers were devine. Everyone loved their entre. I had the black squid pasta with clams and mussels which was delicious. The service was perfect. We all had a great time.Special Features:
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful cocktail menu, great fried dough pizza, enjoyed the rabbit meatballs and steak, we'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Our second time here. Tried the pizza again, still little flavor the center was mushy. We brought our toddler for early dinner. My pizza came fast, my husbands veal shoulder took 45 minutes! I was done and trying to entertain my toddler for 40 minutes until we asked to get his meal to go. When we got home and opened the box we were disappointed to see a tiny portion of over priced bland meat. Not going back.
- Another memorable eveningMartellDined on 9/4/2014This is my fourth visit and I was not disappointed. As ever the service was excellent and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for any occasionbdayboy66Dined on 9/2/2014A must go for anyone who loves Italian food. The food is delicious. Staff is excellent from the hostess to the waiters to the bartender.Special Features: