5356 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.a16rockridge.com/
- Phone: (510) 768-8003
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Lunch: M-Sa 11:00-2:30pm
Brunch: Su 11:00-2:300pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rocky Maselli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Beginning in January we will be offering a special 3 course menu every Monday at $29 per person with an optional wine pairing in addition to our nightly menu. The prix fixe menus will focus on other beloved highways of Southern Italy and feature dishes from the regions of the mezzogiorno.
A word from A16 Rockridge
A16 restaurant is named for the highway connecting Campania to Puglia and the menu is rooted in the rustic traditions of these lively southern Italian regions. The wine list highlights southern Italian varietals and over 40 wines are available by the glass and half-bottle carafe. The bar features traditional and modern cocktails and a wide selection of amaro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
A16 Rockridge - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A16 Rockridge reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (190)neighborhood gem (161)notable wine list (100)special occasion (88)hot spot (81)vibrant bar scene (64)good for groups (51)romantic (48)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Disastrous service, gracious recoverylqf2711Dined on 11/22/2014Restaurant was overwhelmed on a Saturday night; service dragged inexcusably. But our server and hostess came over several times to apologize and provided several lagniappes in recompense--really managed to seize lemonade from them lemons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGrublet4Dined on 11/22/2014Really about 2 1/2 stars...The problem started when as a party of 6 on a Saturday night at 5:30 (mostly empty tables) we were promptly escorted to the back room for "big parties." Very disappointing, as when we made the reservation we were not told that they don't seat parties of more than 4 in the front room. I can maybe understand that the front room gets loud, but 6 people is 6 people, whether you're at a 4 top and a 2 top, or pushed together... The room in the back is sterile and cafeteria like, and it was freezing cold for the first 20 minutes we were there. There were three parties back there for 2 hours, and it felt like we were sent to the garage to eat. It is incomprehensible that a restaurant of this type would not make more of an effort with that room. Glass french doors, and a few plants or candles would make a huge difference... it really took away from the experience for everyone. The food was very good, starting with the kohlrabi salad. Extremely fresh and balanced, just lovely. There was a crab pasta which was described as a light simple dish with lemon, but it arrived in a tomato based sauce with a few sightings of crab..and not a hint of lemon. I asked if this was indeed the crab dish on the menu and the waitress said yes... I asked where the tomato sauce was described and she apologized for not mentioning it. ? In the end this dish was very average. The pizza was very very good. I had the funghi and my table mates had the margherita and added cooked prosciutto. Both were excellent. Excellent wine list and attentive service really helped the evening, but we won't go back on a Saturday unless we are a party of 4 or less. That's a real shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealTerryVIPDined on 11/21/2014Consistently good for over a year. Always a good bet. Delicious pizza and pasta with terrific southern Italian wine Best if you get a table after 9:00. It's always busy, but later in the evening it's a little less crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!DianeVIPDined on 11/21/2014The pizza sausage/broccoli rabe, fish soup and pork chop were outstanding. The cocktails were quite delicious, I had their special negroni, my husband had a special old fashioned with ginger. Our dessert was a choclate moose with pistachios it was beautiful and delicious. Our service was attentive and knowledgeable. We could not have been happier with our dinner date at A16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- above the usual levelfishfaceVIPDined on 11/21/2014pleasant surroundings, very good food, generous serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/20/2014We dine out quite a bit and this has included A16. On this night...they were off. It started by waiting to be seated for over 45 minutes from our reservation time; they brought us 2 complimentary appetizers for the delay, for the 4 of us, when we were finally seated. We had stood at a table by the bar, and were never approached for a drink order. On this night, we took advantage of a Travelzoo offer, which included one cocktail per person, one starter per couple and one entree+ side per person, for 4 of us. AS SOON AS I REVIEWED THE MENU, I asked our server to tell the Chef to hold one Lamb entree for me, as we have experienced them running out of entrees (Salmon) on a prior occasion. Our server excused herself to check, as she thought they might have run out of the Lamb Shoulder, but came back to say that they had run out of the Rabbit, not the Lamb. I reiterated my order, and we proceeded. Our friends brought a bottle of red wine and we ordered a bottle of Neyers Chardonnay. We were served the complimentary starters, and then served our cocktails, but our wine glasses were removed, not to be returned for at least another 30 minutes, and only after we asked for them twice. About the second time that we asked for our wine(s) and glasses, our server informed us (me), that they were out of the Lamb, and quite frankly, I thought she was joking, for there was NO DOUBT that I had made a point of asking her to reserve it. I was told that I could speak to the Manager, who never came out to speak to me, and about another 20 minutes later, she came back to tell me that I could have some of the Lamb Meatballs along with a small portion of the Hanger Steak, (substitution for the Lamb Shoulder I preferred). Even though featured on their menus, often there are not enough quantities of entrees, (only 3 choices on the menu), on hand to suffice. We found the dinner disappointing, particularly given the large number of restaurant options in our area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2014We have been to A-16 several times and the food was wonderful. This time we got tough rabbit and lamb that had lots of fat. The dessert was great and so was the wine.Special Features:
- SF main stay opens Oakland branch and is better!BariRonDined on 11/20/2014A16 has transformed the old Garibaldi's site into a vibrant hot spot of southern Italian cooking. Great pizzas, pastas and nightly specials with an extensive winelist with pourings from bottle, carafe, glass and taste make A16 a must go option in the burgeoning Oakland dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food but beware the specialsOaklanderDined on 11/17/2014Four of us dined here on a recent Monday evening and we all enjoyed it very much. The wines in particular were outstanding. The service was informative and friendly, and I suppose the reason I gave the food three stars instead of four was due to the special I ordered. That night it was veal meatballs with ricotta gnocchi for $20. The meatballs were delicate and delicious, but the gnocchi was tough, flavorless, and totally disappointing. And $20 for this very moderate size dish was simply too much. I will definitely return because the pizzas and wine list alone are reason enough. And also the speck and pear salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all around great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014And all-around winner. Great food service and ambience. Everything on the menu was made with care, thoughtfully paired and and consistently delicious. This restaurant won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanDined on 11/15/2014great service and very attentive to customer feedback but menu was kind of limited especially in the entree section and the gnochi (was my personal favorite) is now too dense, no longer the puffy clouds that I remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs ImprovementAlmsfpdxVIPDined on 11/14/2014We had a 9pm reservation and weren't seated until 9:30. The hostess seemed a bit overwhelmed We essentially stood by the door for 30 minutes with no update or offer to wait in the bar because it was going to be a while While the food here is always excellent and our waiter was quite solicitous, the food arrived out of order - starters before wine and and one of the entrees had clearly been sitting a while and was barely warm. A restaurant of this caliber and price point should perform better - even on a busy Friday. Hopefully, this was just an off night. The food really can be great here - on;t let this review deter from eating here, This particular experience just should have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseImpressedDined on 11/13/2014I was not sure what to expect at A16, but as we left we both remarked that this was the best dinner we have had for a long time. Our young waiter was efficient, helpful and charming. The portions were generous and the flavors subtle and interesting. The pizza appetizer is a must. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service/Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/11/2014The service was awful. It took them two hours to serve the dinner, we did not get dessert. Everything did not come at the same time. One of the person in our group had to wait for 10 mins after everyone else got their food. There was at least 20 mins of wait time between the first course and second course.
- Great First MealapfoodDined on 11/9/2014We had a great first meal at A16--the service was great and the food was delicious--highly recommend the roasted calamari appetizer.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceJB10VIPDined on 11/9/2014Had always wanted to try A16 in San Francisco but put off by the crowds and the location as the Marina was a bit out of the way for us. However, by chance, we were in Rockridge and happened on the A16 Oakland branch - same owners. Although it is on a slightly neglected part of College Avenue, inside the ambience is modern, the food is great, and the server (Gregg) was knowledgable and enthusiastic. They specialize in regional Italian wines and we found a great bottle of red from Puglia for just over $30!Special Features:
- SolidmccalmoVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is our 4th or 5th time at A16 Rockridge. This is the first time we were mildly disappointed. The other times were all quite remarkable. We had a great bottle of wine -- Marisa Cuomo -- and the food was good and authentic. One salad was more meat than salad, which was disappointing, and one pasta dish was a bit pasty. But we will be back. 4 times excellent and one time mildly disappointing is still a good ratio.Special Features:
- OverratedFoodmdDined on 11/7/2014Second visit and probably not go back. Too many other options. Waited for an hour to be seated after arriving early for reservation. They did offer free appetizer after awhile and were apologetic. Waitress was fine. Food was good, not great.Special Features:
- Top notchChiaraVIPDined on 11/7/2014Staff is incredibly gracious, competent and friendly and the food is worth a drive across the bay. Lunch was already perfect and then I had the rare treat of a candy cap mushroom gelato, made for a special mushroom dinner. All around amazing.Special Features:
- Great meal, excellent service!sfeaterDined on 11/5/2014Wonderful food: creamy, delicious burrata; wonderfully tasty pasta dishes; great cocktails. Service was top-notch and super-friendly. My friend and I loved it, and we're definitely going back.Special Features:
- Perfect spot for Rockridge lunch!JAMaudeVIPDined on 11/5/2014Had a great lunch--first time at this A16. (Live in SF and eat at A16 there all the time!). Burrata was awesome, as was the frittata and pizza. Enjoyed olives and almonds for an appetizer. Perfect spot for a business lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the A-team on Tuesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2014We loved the food, especially the roasted calamari. The service was mediocre.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencerbeatsDined on 11/4/2014We sat at the Chef's counter and had a wonderful time watching the guys make pizza and roast meats and vegetables. It's so much fun, it gives you a chance to see how dishes are made before you decide what to order. The food was as yummy as we expected and the service was polished. Servers seemed genuinely happy to be working and sharing the good time with their guests. We felt very welcome. One thing I really liked and commented on to a friend afterward was that the restaurant wasn't loud. I was able to have a conversation with my companion without raising my voice. I feel like this is worth mentioning. So many times I come home a little hoarse from a dinner out with friends because I've had to speak over the ambient noise.Special Features:
- nineclawDined on 11/4/2014Food was very good. My wife ordered the salmon and I had the steak entree. Daughter had a pizza. Food overall was excellent, though we did not care for one of our side dishes (cauliflower overpowered by peppers, almost tabasco-flavored). Service was excellent. Fun to be able to see the kitchen and wood fireplace. Good & unusual drink menu. Didn't feel like a child-friendly restaurant when we walked in, but staff was welcoming to our (polite) 6-yr-old. Nice atmosphere overall. Only complaint was the prices--especially entrees prices--were rather high.Special Features:
- Luke warm pizza!pizzafanDined on 11/1/2014Am very sorry to say that both pizzas were room temperature, as though they sat out a tad too long before making it to the table. We sent them back to be heated up and they returned unchanged. Our dinner companions had very tasty entrees and the cookies that were offered as an apology for the cold pizzas were divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For me just mehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014The flowery menu descriptions did not match up to what was served...the calamari was pretty lifeless and the clams were uneventful, the flank steak was decent, the beer was cold and so was my husband after the meal.Special Features:
- A16 is a Great RestaurantALHMartinezDined on 10/31/2014The food and service at A16 are top-notch, serving some of the best pizza in the Bay Area. Everything we tried on the menu was excellent,Special Features:
- DeliciousOaktownMommaDined on 10/29/2014Everything we had was just delicious from the pickles to the fried pizza. The salmon was cooked perfectly too. Our server was friendly, but not personable. We were grateful for her wine recommendation as the wine list was like a foreign language.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was all devineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014Enjoyed a birthday lunch with a friend. The trout salad was perfect and delicious. The service was exceptional. They surprised my friend with a birthday gelato --- it was the best vanilla dessert ever. And the pumpkin cannoli quite delicious. A truly perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A16 a GemcandykaneDined on 10/27/2014Surprised and pleased by the menu Monday night, 10/27, @ A16 on College Ave in Oakland. Last visit over 1 yr ago - underwhelming. But Monday night was fantastic. Menu accessible, everything 'shareable,' noise level ok for elderly companion. Gnocchi light and fluffy...who knew gnocchi could taste like that??!! Short Ribs, roasted calamari, little gems salad, PIZZA (with pecorino for the lactose-intolerant). We really dined.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/26/2014Got an early reservation at 5, but wasn't seated until 5:15 even though the restaurant was empty. Enjoyed a cocktail at the bar first and the drinks were delicious! I had bought a travelzoo deal, so it included 1 first course, 2 entree's, and 2 drinks. The fried pizza was sooooo good! Not greasy...great crisp crust. Yum! My BF and I both got the hanger steak and it was cooked perfectly! We were stuffed so skipped desert. If you are looking for a romantic, quiet dinner, this isn't the spot! By 6:00, the place was packed. Our server was attentive and entertaining.Special Features:
- a delightful discoverybonnefourchetteDined on 10/25/2014The testa pizza we shared as a starter was the most delicious pizza we've ever had, but everything from olive oil through dessert reflected thoughtful choice of high-quality ingredients with great taste. Preparations were perfect, not overly fussy. The wine list offered very interesting Italian wines. Our waitresses were knowledgeable about the food and wines and were friendly and charming (without being intrusive) to an extent that enhanced the dinner. We're not normally enthusiastic about cocktails, but A16 had inventive ones, and the two we ordered were indeed interesting and very good. A travelzoo deal brought us in this time, but the experience was so delightful we''ll make A16 a semi-regular excursion.Special Features:
- Great PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/23/2014We loved the pizza here!! After a short wait, with a reservation, we were seated on a busy night. It took about 20 minutes before we were greeted and a server took our order. We ordered drinks, and waited and waited...then our pizza came. We inquired about our drinks then they were brought about 10 minutes later. Our entrees were very good, the king salmon, but the wait time was so very long. The kitchen needs to communicate with the servers to co-ordinate when to bring the dishes. The food was good, but not sure if it is worth it with the wait time, and the unevenness of the timing from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Excellent vegetarian experienceElleDined on 10/23/2014A16 made an absolutely delicious experience for this lacto-ovo vegetarian. The burrata appetizer was fantastic and the gnocchi with chanterelle mushroom was so good, meat eaters don't know what they are missing. (I am sure the meat dishes are good too.) The chocolate pistachio mousse dessert was beautifully presented, balanced, not too sweet. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- No A for A16OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014While the food was tasty, it definitely did not leave our group with the "wow this is amazing" effect. We shared a lot of dishes and none were exceptional or unusual, all tasting like other good restaurants trying hard to be different. The real disappointment was the service. Our server was to the point of rude when we told her we were not in a rush to order and did not want to hurry up and make all of our decisions at once. At her fourth attempt to get us to conform to her way of ordering, we did and she finally left us alone. Perhaps we would have cooperated if she had been more pleasant or at least cracked a smile.Special Features:
- Good but not greatDawnVIPDined on 10/19/2014Excellent cocktails and wine list with engaging bartender. Appetizer pizza was excellent with nice bubbly crust. Pasta special of the day was fairly bland and undersalted. Albacore with eggplant caponata was excellent-flavorful and good pairing with fish. Salad accompanying pasta was too salty to eat. Chestnut polenta was again on the bland side. Would have expected more consistency in food. Service was friendly but slow and we didn't find out a requested substitution wasn't available until after all the food was on the table. Staff were apologetic and gave complimentary amaro and cookie assortment which were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit Or MissHappyEaterVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was good, but our server was rushing us through our meal. Luckily, the hostess, Dana, saved our evening! Thereafter the experience was divine. Dana also made great recommendations. Lindsey is pretty awesome too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating at A16JustMeDined on 10/19/2014Had a coupon for a special and was very disappointed that there were no substitutions, ie, could not get a glass of wine, rather than a cocktail, and could not get a side if ordered pasta as an entree. Service was slow. The noise level in the restaurant was so high that we could not hold a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/19/2014Really liked the Open Table pay at your table app. Makes it very easy to pay and not have it wait for your check or payment to be processed.
- High Noise levelLarryDined on 10/18/2014The ambient noise level made it difficult to talk to one's friend.I would recommend this to a friend.