5356 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.a16rockridge.com/
- Phone: 5107688003x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 11:00-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rocky Maselli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Beginning in January we will be offering a special 3 course menu every Monday at $29 per person with an optional wine pairing in addition to our nightly menu. The prix fixe menus will focus on other beloved highways of Southern Italy and feature dishes from the regions of the mezzogiorno.
A word from A16 Rockridge
A16 restaurant is named for the highway connecting Campania to Puglia and the menu is rooted in the rustic traditions of these lively southern Italian regions. The wine list highlights southern Italian varietals and over 40 wines are available by the glass and half-bottle carafe. The bar features traditional and modern cocktails and a wide selection of amaro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
A16 Rockridge - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A16 Rockridge reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (125)notable wine list (88)special occasion (80)vibrant bar scene (58)hot spot (49)good for groups (36)romantic (35)great for brunch (21)late-night find (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Loved it!KariKVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was my first time at A16 and everything was fantastic. The service was outstanding including the wait staff as well as the restaurant manager. The cocktail list was unique and delicious. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- A 16 - not a highdpeed highwayMonalindaDined on 9/12/2014We really go like the good ambience and servers... But the drinks and kitchen are notoriously slow and off balance with the delivery... I would say the service does not flow well -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lambchop was all gristleJannullaDined on 9/11/2014I had heard lots of good reviews for A16 so went for dinner with friends. Others had the Thursday special chicken and loved it. I ordered the lamb chop and it was not a good cut. It was all gristle and one bite of meat. Definitely not worth $28.
- Check A16 outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Excellent service and wonderful food and atmosphere. We started with the chef's antipasti selection, which included pork belly and salmon carpaccio. Tasty, although my friend thought the pork belly was too fatty, I loved it. For dinner, she had the squid ink fettuccine with clams, mussels, garlic, chili and white wine. I had the chicken alla diavola. We both loved our dishes. Wine selection was fabulous, and their cocktails were delicious. A great time for sure, A16 is a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.kathyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Fun place. Efficient and friendly staff. Imaginative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeJansbirthdayDined on 9/6/2014Six of us went to dinner for a friend's birthday. They gave us a room in back which was terrific as it was quieter (barring us) and we could hear hear each other. The cocktails and wine were outstanding. The appetizers were devine. Everyone loved their entre. I had the black squid pasta with clams and mussels which was delicious. The service was perfect. We all had a great time.Special Features:
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful cocktail menu, great fried dough pizza, enjoyed the rabbit meatballs and steak, we'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Our second time here. Tried the pizza again, still little flavor the center was mushy. We brought our toddler for early dinner. My pizza came fast, my husbands veal shoulder took 45 minutes! I was done and trying to entertain my toddler for 40 minutes until we asked to get his meal to go. When we got home and opened the box we were disappointed to see a tiny portion of over priced bland meat. Not going back.
- Another memorable eveningMartellDined on 9/4/2014This is my fourth visit and I was not disappointed. As ever the service was excellent and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for any occasionbdayboy66Dined on 9/2/2014A must go for anyone who loves Italian food. The food is delicious. Staff is excellent from the hostess to the waiters to the bartender.Special Features:
- OK, but needs improvingHoHumDined on 8/31/2014The food here was OK. Some good appetizers, but then the focus is on pizza. Pizza on which this restaurant, surprisingly, uses only fior di latte cheese, not mozzarella di buffala, which is the only cheese to be found on real Italian pizza. There is no substitute, especially for a restaurant claiming to offer real Italian food (and surprising for a restaurant claiming to make food from the area between Napoli and Bari). Nice food, but they are going to have to raise the bar. Good selection of Italian wines but they are quite expensive. Service.... When the waitress dumps water all over the table, it's OK if she cleans it up. Nobody will mind. But walking away and leaving it, not to return, is not good. Friendly but quite slow.
- SaucedVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our dining experience was regrettable. It took an hour to receive our entrees once they were ordered. Appetizers were good but the pizza entree was terrible; tomato sauce tasted canned, mushy crust. The salmon entree was lukewarm at best. We asked for bread three times. Our wine arrived too late to enjoy with appetizers, even after we asked for it twice. The noise level was too loud for two people to converse without shouting. We won't bother going back.
- Yummy food, but service slowMOB3VIPDined on 8/29/2014We just dined at A16 as a party of four. Fiod was yummy but the service was slow. One person in our party had to wait over 20 mins for her entree and salad. And the sommelier was sent over but never arrived. And it took incredibly long to get our ordered coffee and even get a dessert menu. We enjoyed our longer dinner with friends, but were disappointed with the service. ESP at such a fine establishmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad hostessxxxxDined on 8/29/2014The hostess took forever to seat people. She seemed incapable of multitasking. Ultimately, she seated us at the worst table in the house even though we had reservations and were on time. we had to ask to be moved to a nicer table. The restaurant is way tooooo noisy. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014We were seated promptly at our reservation time, and water arrived at the table within a minute. Our bar order was taken a few minutes after. Dishes we ordered were well-paced, and plates and cutlery were replaced before every course. So far, so good. However, I wanted to order a glass of wine with our pizza. The waitress was nowhere to be found, and I had to ask the busboy and another waiter to find her- a good 10-15 minute wait. As for food: bacala and the squid/corona bean dishes were sensational. Our pizza was disappointing. Would have liked to try a pasta dish, but none were appealing.
- Food Not GoodDV50Dined on 8/22/2014We ordered two different pizzas, one highly recommended by the server, and they were not really edible. The "snacks" before dinner were okay. One dessert was good (hazelnut cake with espresso ice cream and cookies) and the other was not. We took people from the East Coast and they didn't enjoy the food, the noise, or the location of the table. Service was mediocre to good.
- Neighborhood GemMarkyMarkDined on 8/21/2014Dinner for 2 at a neighborhood gem in Rockridge. Snack, starter, olive bread and oil, 2 pasta dishes, bottle of unfiltered Prosecco, and a gelato tart made for a great meal. Service was excellent with multiple servers teaming up to meet all of our needs. Runners are like elves from Santa's kitchen delivering exciting presents from Santa's ovens. Great birthday dinner. Next time we're going to sample the gourmet pizzas and more of the wine selections.Special Features:
- Third VisitDrBearVIPDined on 8/21/2014Have visited A16 x 3 now...and with each visit...the food seems more carefully prepared...the waitperson knew the food and chose the perfect wine ...to sum it up,...easily as fine as its sister restaurant on the other side of the Bay...pizza with corn and that added homemade chile oil was heavenly...shall return!!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMartissimoDined on 8/21/2014The attention we received from the A16 wait-staff was remarkable and matched the food we ordered. Our appetizer was soft-shell crab on bruschetta-we were not sure how to split it 4 ways, so we asked the staff for help. They graciously accomplished the goal and it was very good. The fennel salads were so refreshing, be sure to try this! Everyone's entree was great-salmon, pasta x 2, and chicken. We were rushing for a show in SF so the wait-staff made sure we got out in time, even included some cookies for later. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentMBSFVIPDined on 8/20/2014I'm a bit if a snob, but A16 consistently pleases. A real, interesting cocktail list and unusual, very fresh foods. I should go here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit and miss..dinnerfortwoDined on 8/20/2014Both the food & service had high & low moments. Pasta was late to the table & was completely inedible by it's salt content, dessert also took a long time to receive. our although friendly wait person was very nice, her service was also very sporadic. For all the hype, we were completely underwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BILLDined on 8/20/2014Food was good, wait staff excellent, environment nice, BUT WAY TOO NOISY. I would only go back when the restaurant is 1/4 to 1/3 full. Even then it might be too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobOL2HVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first trip to A16 Oakland, although we frequently enjoy the SF Chestnut St location. They did a fine job for the five of us. Food, drink and service were all superb. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Approaches very good but just shortAngelDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I had a nice time at A16. We liked the food and the service which were both good but seemed to fall just a bit short of being very good on my scale. this was particularly disappointing because the prices are high. I don't mind paying for very good to excellent food and service but we were left thinking it was expensive. More attentive service and just a bit something more from the kitchen and I would not have minded at all to pay what we did. Would I go back? Yes but with more friends so we can share some dishes like appetizers and the cost of wine. The wine staff were knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- great pizzagingembreVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our group of seven tried five different pizzas on the menu, all delicious, especially the one with roasted corn and prosciutto. The teen at the table loved using the special scissors to cut each piece. Other dishes were great, such as the soft shell crab bruchetta and the steak. There are many, many Italian wines on the menu, including lots by the glass, and the two wine drinkers at the tables got excellent suggestions. But the best part of the evening was the cocktails - well-made, nicely presented. They took a while to come to the table for our big group, but they were worth waiting for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Sommelier not to be trusted. Recommended a wine that even when I commented on how tannic it seemed, she brushed that off with "it will be good with the food". It was not. Otherwise food terrific - roast calamari fantastic.Special Features:
- Stellar, worth another visit!kharmeleonVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food, service and wine list were awesome! Though it can be a bit noisy, and service took a bit longer due to full-capacity crowd on Saturday night. But definitely worth another visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014All of our dishes were excellent. The pizzas were incredible. must try a pizza. The only downfall was the it took a long time to get drinks. Not sure if the bar was backed up or our server was due to being seated 3 tables at once, one of which was 8 people. I blame the hostess for thatSpecial Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Unmatched wine selection and service, excellent food, the place ticks like a watch. Tasteful, unobtrusive decor, romantic lighting. I love watching a restaurant function at this level!Special Features:
- debbiedDined on 8/8/2014The food at our visit was fabulous. There were six of us and we all enjoyed each and every one of our courses. We arrived at 8:05 for an 8 pm reservation. I tried calling the restaurant 4 times to tell them we were running a couple of minutes late but there was no link to speak to an actual person so I was never able. We were not seated until 8:35 and even after waiting, the table was not really meant for six..or at least not the way the seats were configured and I was a bit uncomfortable. Our server was delightful and we really enjoyed her, however the service was very slow. We brought two bottle of nice wine and I don't think they were opened for at least twenty minutes after being seated. I would absolutely go back for the food!
- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Out pasta dish and pizza were both way over salted. When we told the waitress she said that many of her customers have complained about the salt and now ask for no added salt when they order. Unfortunately she did not tell us this before we ordered.
- Very slow servicealamodinerDined on 8/7/2014I ate here with 3 other friends (4 of us total) with a newborn and though we like to enjoy our time together, service was painfully slow. A simple dinner took us 3.5 hours total because everything took forever. Our server kept forgetting things and forgot to check up on us and we were about to walk out at times. Our food was mediocre also and our server never checked in on our half eaten plates to ask if everything was OK. I've eaten at the A16 in SF and the quality of food was much better at the SF location.
- DinurbanDined on 8/5/2014Imaginative and creative pizzas and appetizers. While on the expensive side for pizzas, each of the ones we ordered was a splendid combination of flavor and textures. We recommend the one with the testa as well as the smoked tomato sauce. The cannoli was imaginative and the perfect way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, service was slowFoodislifeDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant is very nice, and the food was very good. The service unfortunately was quite slow. The waitperson clearly forgot to put in our order of our pizza, which we waited an hour for, and when I reminded her about it, she said there was a long que and that's why our pizza hadn't come. Five minutes later, which is about the time it takes to cook a pizza, It arrived. I wish the waitstaff had owned their responsibility.Special Features:
- Memorable Evening!BuzzzwordDined on 8/2/2014This was quite the experience! The four of us arrived and were seated promptly. Our server was outstanding - great hair! The somm gave us an excellent recommendation for a Sardinian wine. The food was just great - New York steak done to perfection and the fennel capunti were a huge hit. Sides of faro and dry farmed tomatoes did not disappoint in the least. The evening was capped off with some excellent dessert wines (I had the Amaro tasting which was well worth it). We are well acquainted with A-16 in SF and now feel this is the preferred locale for us to get some outstanding southern Italian dishes. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 16natdiningoutDined on 8/1/2014A 16 Rockridge is definitely a cool new addition to the myriad of new, trendy restaurants opening in Oakland. It has a vibrant scene, from a packed bar on the weekends to a consistently full dining room. In my opinion the main draw to this restaurant is the pizza. It is delicious, with thin crust and interesting topping combinations (think corn and prosciutto) that are a far cry from the typical red sauce from a can and pre-grated mozzarella, but not so outlandish they are only appealing to the most adventurous palates. While the pizza was outstanding, my experience with the small plates was less positive. My advice for an excellent (and not so pricey!) dining experience here would be to order a pizza and carafe of wine, and enjoy!Special Features:
- Good pizza, too noisyBernalGal1VIPDined on 7/31/2014Luckily, we were seated (late) in a corner by the window, so the din of the place was a little muted. The friend anchovies with peppers were awful -- very, vey, fishy -- and we like fish and especially anchovies. Won't return for quite a while, maybe on the earlier side when it might be quieter. We arrived at 8:30.Special Features:
- Tasty HighwayPSPSVIPDined on 7/29/2014Tasty travels on this highway to good eating, where the menu includes small detours from traditional Italian offerings. Best choices come from the wide selection of appetizers & pizza. Do try the daily specials too. Excellent wine and digestifs.
- A16 RockridgekristinDined on 7/24/2014Fabulous. Have been to SFlocation and wasn't expecting it to live up. Had the bucatini with clams and muscles, it was outstanding. Both pizzas we had were excellent, (margarita and the mushroom with sausage) and the wines recommended by the sommelier werea perfect match. We'll be back without a doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy A16's at RickridgePatRDined on 7/23/2014A customer if A16 in SF and happy they're in Oakland. Always great food. Pizza, small plates, or pastaSpecial Features: