5356 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.a16rockridge.com/
- Phone: 5107688003x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 11:00-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rocky Maselli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Beginning in January we will be offering a special 3 course menu every Monday at $29 per person with an optional wine pairing in addition to our nightly menu. The prix fixe menus will focus on other beloved highways of Southern Italy and feature dishes from the regions of the mezzogiorno.
A word from A16 Rockridge
A16 restaurant is named for the highway connecting Campania to Puglia and the menu is rooted in the rustic traditions of these lively southern Italian regions. The wine list highlights southern Italian varietals and over 40 wines are available by the glass and half-bottle carafe. The bar features traditional and modern cocktails and a wide selection of amaro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
A16 Rockridge - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
A16 Rockridge reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (147)neighborhood gem (121)notable wine list (89)special occasion (88)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (49)romantic (43)good for groups (36)great for brunch (23)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014We were seated promptly at our reservation time, and water arrived at the table within a minute. Our bar order was taken a few minutes after. Dishes we ordered were well-paced, and plates and cutlery were replaced before every course. So far, so good. However, I wanted to order a glass of wine with our pizza. The waitress was nowhere to be found, and I had to ask the busboy and another waiter to find her- a good 10-15 minute wait. As for food: bacala and the squid/corona bean dishes were sensational. Our pizza was disappointing. Would have liked to try a pasta dish, but none were appealing.
- Food Not GoodDV50Dined on 8/22/2014We ordered two different pizzas, one highly recommended by the server, and they were not really edible. The "snacks" before dinner were okay. One dessert was good (hazelnut cake with espresso ice cream and cookies) and the other was not. We took people from the East Coast and they didn't enjoy the food, the noise, or the location of the table. Service was mediocre to good.
- Neighborhood GemMarkyMarkDined on 8/21/2014Dinner for 2 at a neighborhood gem in Rockridge. Snack, starter, olive bread and oil, 2 pasta dishes, bottle of unfiltered Prosecco, and a gelato tart made for a great meal. Service was excellent with multiple servers teaming up to meet all of our needs. Runners are like elves from Santa's kitchen delivering exciting presents from Santa's ovens. Great birthday dinner. Next time we're going to sample the gourmet pizzas and more of the wine selections.Special Features:
- Third VisitDrBearVIPDined on 8/21/2014Have visited A16 x 3 now...and with each visit...the food seems more carefully prepared...the waitperson knew the food and chose the perfect wine ...to sum it up,...easily as fine as its sister restaurant on the other side of the Bay...pizza with corn and that added homemade chile oil was heavenly...shall return!!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMartissimoDined on 8/21/2014The attention we received from the A16 wait-staff was remarkable and matched the food we ordered. Our appetizer was soft-shell crab on bruschetta-we were not sure how to split it 4 ways, so we asked the staff for help. They graciously accomplished the goal and it was very good. The fennel salads were so refreshing, be sure to try this! Everyone's entree was great-salmon, pasta x 2, and chicken. We were rushing for a show in SF so the wait-staff made sure we got out in time, even included some cookies for later. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentMBSFVIPDined on 8/20/2014I'm a bit if a snob, but A16 consistently pleases. A real, interesting cocktail list and unusual, very fresh foods. I should go here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit and miss..dinnerfortwoDined on 8/20/2014Both the food & service had high & low moments. Pasta was late to the table & was completely inedible by it's salt content, dessert also took a long time to receive. our although friendly wait person was very nice, her service was also very sporadic. For all the hype, we were completely underwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BILLDined on 8/20/2014Food was good, wait staff excellent, environment nice, BUT WAY TOO NOISY. I would only go back when the restaurant is 1/4 to 1/3 full. Even then it might be too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobOL2HVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first trip to A16 Oakland, although we frequently enjoy the SF Chestnut St location. They did a fine job for the five of us. Food, drink and service were all superb. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Approaches very good but just shortAngelDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I had a nice time at A16. We liked the food and the service which were both good but seemed to fall just a bit short of being very good on my scale. this was particularly disappointing because the prices are high. I don't mind paying for very good to excellent food and service but we were left thinking it was expensive. More attentive service and just a bit something more from the kitchen and I would not have minded at all to pay what we did. Would I go back? Yes but with more friends so we can share some dishes like appetizers and the cost of wine. The wine staff were knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- great pizzagingembreDined on 8/15/2014Our group of seven tried five different pizzas on the menu, all delicious, especially the one with roasted corn and prosciutto. The teen at the table loved using the special scissors to cut each piece. Other dishes were great, such as the soft shell crab bruchetta and the steak. There are many, many Italian wines on the menu, including lots by the glass, and the two wine drinkers at the tables got excellent suggestions. But the best part of the evening was the cocktails - well-made, nicely presented. They took a while to come to the table for our big group, but they were worth waiting for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Sommelier not to be trusted. Recommended a wine that even when I commented on how tannic it seemed, she brushed that off with "it will be good with the food". It was not. Otherwise food terrific - roast calamari fantastic.Special Features:
- Stellar, worth another visit!kharmeleonVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food, service and wine list were awesome! Though it can be a bit noisy, and service took a bit longer due to full-capacity crowd on Saturday night. But definitely worth another visit!Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Unmatched wine selection and service, excellent food, the place ticks like a watch. Tasteful, unobtrusive decor, romantic lighting. I love watching a restaurant function at this level!Special Features:
- debbiedDined on 8/8/2014The food at our visit was fabulous. There were six of us and we all enjoyed each and every one of our courses. We arrived at 8:05 for an 8 pm reservation. I tried calling the restaurant 4 times to tell them we were running a couple of minutes late but there was no link to speak to an actual person so I was never able. We were not seated until 8:35 and even after waiting, the table was not really meant for six..or at least not the way the seats were configured and I was a bit uncomfortable. Our server was delightful and we really enjoyed her, however the service was very slow. We brought two bottle of nice wine and I don't think they were opened for at least twenty minutes after being seated. I would absolutely go back for the food!
- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Out pasta dish and pizza were both way over salted. When we told the waitress she said that many of her customers have complained about the salt and now ask for no added salt when they order. Unfortunately she did not tell us this before we ordered.
- DinurbanDined on 8/5/2014Imaginative and creative pizzas and appetizers. While on the expensive side for pizzas, each of the ones we ordered was a splendid combination of flavor and textures. We recommend the one with the testa as well as the smoked tomato sauce. The cannoli was imaginative and the perfect way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, service was slowFoodislifeDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant is very nice, and the food was very good. The service unfortunately was quite slow. The waitperson clearly forgot to put in our order of our pizza, which we waited an hour for, and when I reminded her about it, she said there was a long que and that's why our pizza hadn't come. Five minutes later, which is about the time it takes to cook a pizza, It arrived. I wish the waitstaff had owned their responsibility.Special Features:
- Memorable Evening!BuzzzwordDined on 8/2/2014This was quite the experience! The four of us arrived and were seated promptly. Our server was outstanding - great hair! The somm gave us an excellent recommendation for a Sardinian wine. The food was just great - New York steak done to perfection and the fennel capunti were a huge hit. Sides of faro and dry farmed tomatoes did not disappoint in the least. The evening was capped off with some excellent dessert wines (I had the Amaro tasting which was well worth it). We are well acquainted with A-16 in SF and now feel this is the preferred locale for us to get some outstanding southern Italian dishes. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 16OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014A 16 Rockridge is definitely a cool new addition to the myriad of new, trendy restaurants opening in Oakland. It has a vibrant scene, from a packed bar on the weekends to a consistently full dining room. In my opinion the main draw to this restaurant is the pizza. It is delicious, with thin crust and interesting topping combinations (think corn and prosciutto) that are a far cry from the typical red sauce from a can and pre-grated mozzarella, but not so outlandish they are only appealing to the most adventurous palates. While the pizza was outstanding, my experience with the small plates was less positive. My advice for an excellent (and not so pricey!) dining experience here would be to order a pizza and carafe of wine, and enjoy!Special Features:
- Good pizza, too noisyBernalGal1VIPDined on 7/31/2014Luckily, we were seated (late) in a corner by the window, so the din of the place was a little muted. The friend anchovies with peppers were awful -- very, vey, fishy -- and we like fish and especially anchovies. Won't return for quite a while, maybe on the earlier side when it might be quieter. We arrived at 8:30.Special Features:
- Tasty HighwayPSPSVIPDined on 7/29/2014Tasty travels on this highway to good eating, where the menu includes small detours from traditional Italian offerings. Best choices come from the wide selection of appetizers & pizza. Do try the daily specials too. Excellent wine and digestifs.
- A16 RockridgekristinDined on 7/24/2014Fabulous. Have been to SFlocation and wasn't expecting it to live up. Had the bucatini with clams and muscles, it was outstanding. Both pizzas we had were excellent, (margarita and the mushroom with sausage) and the wines recommended by the sommelier werea perfect match. We'll be back without a doubt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy A16's at RickridgePatRDined on 7/23/2014A customer if A16 in SF and happy they're in Oakland. Always great food. Pizza, small plates, or pastaSpecial Features:
- a16OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014Outstanding wine list. We all enjoyed our dinners, mine was excellent, although my daughter did not care for her bucatini with clams. The pizza we had (arugula, sun dried tomatoes and anchovies) was excellent. The crust was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was impeccablejkbritVIPDined on 7/21/2014I have to say our waitress was really amazing. Always there when we needed her but never hovering. Loved her!! Food was great and the cocktails were nice and light and summery. RecommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingQuisp891ADined on 7/20/2014Despite the reputation, we were disappointed with our experience. We have to send the calamari back, it's smelled kind of strong. Service was inattentive. Dishes tended to be salty. They comped us a cookie plate for our birthday, but that included on the bill, and we had to ask to have it removed. No need to go back here again, plenty of good eating in the Bay Area!
- Good food - slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/20/2014Pizza is fantastic, we rate it in our top 5, which include Napaoli Italy, and Paia flat bread in Maui, so we are no stranger to good pizza. The stone fruit and speck salad delicious. Unfortunately the service is not as good as the food. Waited several minutes for hostess to great us at the door - there was no one else waiting..... And then several minutes after we sat - no service in sight.....service in between courses was also VERY slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- italianateDined on 7/20/2014read enthusiastic reviews about SF location, and was anxious to try East Bay sibling. food is good, imaginative and delicious. caveat: there is insufficient staff during Sunday brunch. single server waited on at least ten tables, and the service, including kitchen prep, was painfully slow. when I mentioned to the host, she was detached and showed no concern or curiosity. our waiter was earnest, however, and simply needed backup. learned that two restaurants are different corp. entities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good to awfullivetoeatDined on 7/20/2014The salad with fennel and kohlrabi was excellent. The pizzas were soggy in the middle and not very tasty. Service was good but slow. Bloody Mary was very good
- OaktownGuyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great meal, especially the amazing pizza. Server was very nice but forgot an appetizer and then later the leftover 1/2 pizza we asked to take home.Special Features:
- JayvanceDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner here. Service was attentive without being intrusive, everything we ordered was delicious.Special Features:
- Food was good...DianahRDined on 7/16/2014Had dinner here the other evening with my boyfriend. The waitstaff was probably the absolute best part about our dining experience. The host, server and busser were all very friendly, prompt, and helpful. Nothing on the menu really stood out to us, so we just decided to order two appetizers and share a pizza. We ordered the ahi tuna carpaccio and the burrata. Both were actually incredibly tasty! We ordered a marinara pizza and added proscuitto and egg. The crust was amazing, flavors were good...but no cheese on the pizza. I guess it didn't mention any cheese on the ingredients, but I thought it's because it's just a given that there was cheese...I guess not...So...taste was there, but it wasn't really my kind of pizza.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014The food was excellent. We particularly enjoyed the fried olives as an appetizer. The wait staff was friendly but professional. The food came out in a timely manner and the hostess brought us samples of a dessert beer which was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- RickBVIPDined on 7/7/2014Excellent food and service. Our waitress was especially knowledgeable and helpful, especially with the wines which are largely non-Californian.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatTerryVIPDined on 7/5/2014The best place for a relaxed dinner - either with friends or just as a couple. Always interesting wine with simple and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night?Georgeg634Dined on 7/4/2014They had a different menu for the 4th of July. Overall the food was very good except for one entree which was terrible. The service was poor and uncoordinated. We ordered salads, then a pizza to share followed by the entrees. They started delivering entrees before the pizza and we sent them back. They kept asking when are we going to be ready for entrees while we were still sharing the pizza (which was excellent). When the entrees arrived one was missing and it took some time to get it ordered and delivered. The restaurant took the bad entree off the bill and compted the delayed items. The advice on wine was spot on and I savored the final glass at home.Special Features:
- Very disappointingkeenakitDined on 7/3/2014Surly service and lackluster food were not what I expected at this very popular spot.
- A16 With Old FriendsllmurrayDined on 6/29/2014The food, cocktails, meal and dessert were so good as well as lovely in presentation. On top of that as several of us hand;t seen each other for a while, we occupied the table for three to four hours on a Sunday night and never felt we were imposing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time Lacked the CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014We have eaten at this restaurant two times before and had a great time in the front dining room. This time, we were seated in the back dining room which was richly, but simply decorated and totally lacked the ambiance we enjoyed during our first two visits. If you want to enjoyed the whole experience, insist on being seated in the front dining room. All this aside, we still enjoyed the meal itself. The food is definitely a big step up from the production line food offered at some of the other "better" restaurants.Special Features: