3334 West Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arestaurantnb.com/
- Phone: (949) 650-6505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Closed (Available for Private Parties)
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm to 10:00pm,
Friday: 4:00pm to 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm to 10:00pm.
Social Hour: Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Blackford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: A Restaurant features 2 private dining rooms. One is an intimate space equipped with a flatscreen TV and curtains for privacy and can accommodate 16 to 20 people. Our larger private dining room also features curtains for privacy and direct washroom access and can accommodate 45 to 55 people. Financial Minimums are required.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Perry 9496506505x
A word from A Restaurant
Since 1922 The Arches has been the destination for fine dining in Newport Beach. Known for it’s amazing steak and seafood menu It is a place where celebrities and local customers can dine in privacy. With grand renovations and its rebirth as A Restaurant this landmark will once again be a haven for classic culinary experiences. Chef Jon Blackford and wine director Steven Ackad have created a perfect alchemy with their creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
A Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
A Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)special occasion (27)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (22)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (17)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2014The service was exceptional. Salmon entree delicious and chicken pot pie very good. And the Fluffernuttter Sundae was heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!kls9Dined on 11/10/2014Exceptional experience! Outstanding food, service, ambience - recommended highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodmakkapDined on 11/3/2014Wonderful steak & salty pear martini. The vegetables were good, as well. The salad and fries were ok. One problem - the restaurant was so dark none of us in the group could see the menu well. Had to pass around the candle on the table. Other than that- all was wonderful. Yes, I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overall experience.67GTVertDined on 11/1/2014Our server Jared brought us small wine tasters prior to our ordering. his wine suggestions were spot on. My wife and i split a Beet Salad, very fresh, tasty. My wife had the short ribs and i had the pork tenderloin. Both dinners were sized the way we like it. Enough, but not belly busting if you chose to clean your plate as i did. I have lived in this area, Newport/ Mesa since 1970 and have never eaten here. We will be back. The combination of Service, Wine List, General Ambiance and Good Food never goes out of style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on pointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Great service and consistently great food. Always enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- Nice spotchazrabbitDined on 10/25/2014Food and service were excellent. The restaurant does get loud when all the tables are full and I found the wine list to be not friendly at 3X wholesale pricing. I would recommend bringing your own nice bottle and paying the corkage. Overall it was a very good dining experience and we would both recommend to friends and also return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great History, Great FoodDeannaDined on 10/24/2014I don't normally give rave reviews, but A Restaurant is fantastic! The food has great depth and everything is delicious. While its a bit noisy, the atmosphere is fun and takes you back to old prohibition fun. The mixed drinks are awesome (I recommend the honey badger). And with one thank you to our waiter, I was given service like I've never seen before. While the restaurant was "running slow" we had appetizers within five minutes and food within twenty. I have to imagine the nay sayers on here are going to bash most places anyway. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A RestaurantKGW22Dined on 10/18/2014We had a dinner for wife's Birthday and could not have enjoyed it any more. The food was excellent, the service excellent and loved the wine list.Special Features:
- Great ServiceLuvfoodDined on 10/2/2014Food was amazing and Brian was an amazing waiter! I would highly recommend this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++ Restaurant!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 9/24/2014Thanks to Jordon and the whole crew for yet another wonderful evening -- this time for a corporate closing celebration! Everyone (of course!) raved about their entree selections. The ahi and brussels sprouts appetizers were delectable, and the wine superb! A few commented that in the future they will pull away from their former habit of going to Mastro's for a good meal, as the atmosphere and cuisine are far superior here at A! BTW -- thought we were going to miss the Salted Caramel ice cream, but you've killed it with that Fluffernutter stuff....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A RestuarantDwaynetDined on 9/13/2014The biggest problem is the lighting- I have to use My flashlight on my I-phone to read the menu - just to dark. Food was good. Waiter was average- Never got the bread ............. Prices are expensive- You got to be nuts to order a glass of red wine and costs you 25 bucks. No thank-youSpecial Features:
- GemjamzDined on 9/12/2014this place is great! the servers and sommeliers are fantastic!Special Features:
- This place is a noisy dumpSweetJDined on 9/12/2014TOO LOUD !!! Guys in sandals and Budweiser tee shirts screaming F bombs in the bar with families and children present . A terrible experience for my wife & I out for some Newport Beach fine dining. This ain't the Arches of 30 years ago , this joint used to have some class ... But no more. Their standards are very low with no dress code so they have these drunken slobs coming off of their boats in NB . The prices are very high $$ ,service poor, food okay. I liked the chicken pot pie but watching and hearing all of the drunk train wrecks in the bar with lousy service makes in impossible to enjoy your food. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK
- Still going strongDharperVIPDined on 9/1/2014After a few changes over the last 100 years the old Arches, now A, still holds up well. The serving staff is professional and the bar vibe is middle aged and plays hard. Went with my college son and enjoyed a great New York. Wine by the glass is a bit pricey but good variety.Special Features:
- the perfect eveningfoodie4lifeDined on 8/28/2014I have eaten in this restaurant before and the food was terrific. This time, the service was perfect, the food was even better than I remembered and overall, the evening was just great. I wish I lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We love the A restaurant especially since Stacy from the Ritz has come and she has been our server twice! The food and service were superb! We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic with a modern menu.legal1Dined on 8/14/2014A historic restaurant, but don't the outside fool you. Inside is modern and clean. A very diverse menu. Lively bar scene. Comfortable seating. Excellent food and cocktails. Exceeded our expectations and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a SupriseVinnylouDined on 8/9/2014The only thing better than the food was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NewportReActionVIPDined on 8/3/2014Don't overthink; A's is the place to go...amazing food, ambiance and lively vibe coupled with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STEWARTDined on 8/1/2014cool room (table booths soooo H'wood), great service (Steve), imaginative menu, quality food -- very nice experienceSpecial Features:
- The following 344 reviews are from the A Restaurant reviews archive.
- 2socksDined on 7/15/2014Tried the Alaskan Halibut based on recent write up in the OC Register. It was good, but not great, especially for the price (~ $37). Steaks and Duck sounded very good based on waiter's description ...but quite pricey ($40+). May try it once more for the steak. Great ambiance and the waiter & staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemPattygrnDined on 7/10/2014After seeing article in OC Register, we tried this place. We started in the cute little bar area, great drinks and bar food, happy hour pricing. Then we moved to the dining room, also on the small side, but very warm and inviting..We had the halibut and the meatloaf, both excellent. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Great food and great service! Always love coming to dinner here!Special Features:
- Eclectic menu, talented waitstaffTCinNBDined on 6/22/2014We've lived in the area for almost thirty years and have driven by this restaurant too many times to count, so we finally decided to stop by on Sunday night for a birthday dinner gathering. When we saw the cheese & charcuterie selection (and began tasting it) we knew we had picked a fun spot! This is a restaurant that cares about its food, and drink!! The menu is simple, but eclectic. Even with only a few entrees, salads and sides to choose from, it was an almost overwhelming choice because each item promised to be delicious. At our table the fish'n'chips, pork osso buco, fresh Alaskan halibut and several steaks were ordered and all diners were greatly satisfied with their meals. Our waiter was gregarious and helpful, truly enjoyable guySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spot in Newport BeachReActionVIPDined on 6/13/2014A's continues to deliver amazing food, great ambiance and phenomenal service; it is my go to spot weekly and is arguably the best restaurant in Newport Beach if not Orange County!Special Features:
- Great server.Gousna67Dined on 6/7/2014She was terrific and made the whole night special.Special Features:
- A plus foodPianoArtisansDined on 5/31/2014The best steak you can find, excellently prepared. Scallops with a fresh curry sauce, delightful! Try everything you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good start, poor finishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Enthusiastic waiter not well supported by his kitchen. Cold meatball appetizers were sent back. Two inedible and overcooked steaks went back too. What would have been a more expensive dinner ended up being just $76. Feeling bad we overtipped the ingrate waiter $100.00 and received no thanks. Fail.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Basically we went away hungry. For the price we should have had more than enough to eat. I liked it though but will choose another place to dine for brunch in the future.Special Features:
- HistoricalDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 5/6/2014It was nice to finally try "A" restaurant. I have driven past this place hundreds of times and never ate here. Today I decided would be the day. As expected the place was small and intimate since this building has been here for decades and has seen the likes of many celebrities and local movers and shakers when it was under it's previous name The Arches. I am sad to say that I was disappointed overall. The food was so average and uninspiring what saved the day was the outstanding service I received from my server. Well now I can cross this one off my list.
- NoiseBeatrix11Dined on 5/1/2014Food was fantastic, but dinner was not enjoyable. There were very noisy, boisterous groups on either side of us making conversation amongst our party of 3 nearly impossible. We mostly had to eat in silence. This was on a weeknight and I can't imagine going near the place on weekends.Special Features:
- One my my favoritesDouglas1Dined on 5/1/2014I consider myself a foodie and have never been disappointed in the A restaurant. Been there many times. Food is great, service excellent, ambiance is romantic. Can be a bit loud during the height of the bar scene but not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the ArchesDisappointedVIPDined on 4/26/2014if only they could go back in time. the menu was disappointing, and i should have known how the food would have been based on that. all three of us were disappointed in the food. the pork was dry and underwhelming. the server was excellent, though, a throwback to the old restaurant. the place has become more of a bar now, so that may be what it's good forSpecial Features:
- Great Service and FoodRandyVIPDined on 4/21/2014Overall great time at A's. Went with a group of friends for lunch. The only downside...we were the only ones there. A's needs to do something to bring in the lunch time crowd to give the place some life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the Charts Great!OldTownFoodieVIPDined on 4/19/2014We were visiting the area, and out of all the restaurants we tried in OC, this was our favorite! Great service by Stacy and a wonderful and varied menu prepared exquisitely. This will be the first stop we make the next time we are back in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2014The steaks are great here. The restaurant is a little noisy if you are looking for something quiet and romantic. The waiter we had was not good. I am not sure he was not listening (because of noise) or just not paying attention. We had to send back appetizer because he gave us the wrong items. We had to send back one of our steaks because it was well done and we asked for it to be medium rare which is a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyBitofSFDined on 3/28/2014We had a reservation and still had to wait 1/2 an hour due to a specific request. Previously, we had a booth in the back room and had Santiago as our waiter. It was such a good experience that we requested to be in Santiago's station again...hence the wait. It was well worth it however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing eveningLynnDined on 3/28/2014Jammed packed and noise level so high our party of 4 couldn't hear one another. Food decent, service marginal … never got all of our order. We will never go back nor recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Always the Best!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 3/21/2014Thanks again for another wonderful experience! Food is always superb, and the service spendid! This time we treated 3 generations of family (younger AND older!) to a scrumptious birthday dinner! Since A is our favorite spot, we wanted to make sure Mom and Dad had the opportunity to experience and enjoy! See you soon! Hugs to Jordon!Special Features:
- Must try!CoreyDined on 3/15/2014An absolute gem! If you're dining out in Newport Beach you must put A Restaurant on your list! Coming from Boston, I'm used to exception culinary experiences and this was one of them! I will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.