3334 West Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arestaurantnb.com/
- Phone: 9496506505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm to 11:00 pm
Bar Menu Available Monday through Friday 2:30pm to 10:00pm.
Social Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Blackford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: A Restaurant features 2 private dining rooms. One is an intimate space equipped with a flatscreen TV and curtains for privacy and can accommodate 16 to 20 people. Our larger private dining room also features curtains for privacy and direct washroom access and can accommodate 45 to 55 people. Financial Minimums are required.
- Private Party Contact: Dan Dumitru 9496506505x
A word from A Restaurant
Since 1922 The Arches has been the destination for fine dining in Newport Beach. Known for it’s amazing steak and seafood menu It is a place where celebrities and local customers can dine in privacy. With grand renovations and its rebirth as A Restaurant this landmark will once again be a haven for classic culinary experiences.Chef Jon Blackford and wine director Steven Ackad have created a perfect alchemy with their creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
A Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
A Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (20)vibrant bar scene (18)notable wine list (18)romantic (15)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- the perfect eveningfoodie4lifeDined on 8/28/2014I have eaten in this restaurant before and the food was terrific. This time, the service was perfect, the food was even better than I remembered and overall, the evening was just great. I wish I lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014We love the A restaurant especially since Stacy from the Ritz has come and she has been our server twice! The food and service were superb! We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic with a modern menu.legal1Dined on 8/14/2014A historic restaurant, but don't the outside fool you. Inside is modern and clean. A very diverse menu. Lively bar scene. Comfortable seating. Excellent food and cocktails. Exceeded our expectations and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a SupriseVinnylouDined on 8/9/2014The only thing better than the food was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NewportReActionVIPDined on 8/3/2014Don't overthink; A's is the place to go...amazing food, ambiance and lively vibe coupled with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STEWARTDined on 8/1/2014cool room (table booths soooo H'wood), great service (Steve), imaginative menu, quality food -- very nice experienceSpecial Features:
- 2socksDined on 7/15/2014Tried the Alaskan Halibut based on recent write up in the OC Register. It was good, but not great, especially for the price (~ $37). Steaks and Duck sounded very good based on waiter's description ...but quite pricey ($40+). May try it once more for the steak. Great ambiance and the waiter & staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemPattygrnDined on 7/10/2014After seeing article in OC Register, we tried this place. We started in the cute little bar area, great drinks and bar food, happy hour pricing. Then we moved to the dining room, also on the small side, but very warm and inviting..We had the halibut and the meatloaf, both excellent. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Great food and great service! Always love coming to dinner here!Special Features:
- Eclectic menu, talented waitstaffTCinNBDined on 6/22/2014We've lived in the area for almost thirty years and have driven by this restaurant too many times to count, so we finally decided to stop by on Sunday night for a birthday dinner gathering. When we saw the cheese & charcuterie selection (and began tasting it) we knew we had picked a fun spot! This is a restaurant that cares about its food, and drink!! The menu is simple, but eclectic. Even with only a few entrees, salads and sides to choose from, it was an almost overwhelming choice because each item promised to be delicious. At our table the fish'n'chips, pork osso buco, fresh Alaskan halibut and several steaks were ordered and all diners were greatly satisfied with their meals. Our waiter was gregarious and helpful, truly enjoyable guySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great server.Gousna67Dined on 6/7/2014She was terrific and made the whole night special.Special Features:
- A plus foodPianoArtisansDined on 5/31/2014The best steak you can find, excellently prepared. Scallops with a fresh curry sauce, delightful! Try everything you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good start, poor finishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Enthusiastic waiter not well supported by his kitchen. Cold meatball appetizers were sent back. Two inedible and overcooked steaks went back too. What would have been a more expensive dinner ended up being just $76. Feeling bad we overtipped the ingrate waiter $100.00 and received no thanks. Fail.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Basically we went away hungry. For the price we should have had more than enough to eat. I liked it though but will choose another place to dine for brunch in the future.Special Features:
- HistoricalDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 5/6/2014It was nice to finally try "A" restaurant. I have driven past this place hundreds of times and never ate here. Today I decided would be the day. As expected the place was small and intimate since this building has been here for decades and has seen the likes of many celebrities and local movers and shakers when it was under it's previous name The Arches. I am sad to say that I was disappointed overall. The food was so average and uninspiring what saved the day was the outstanding service I received from my server. Well now I can cross this one off my list.
- The following 333 reviews are from the A Restaurant reviews archive.
- NoiseBeatrix11Dined on 5/1/2014Food was fantastic, but dinner was not enjoyable. There were very noisy, boisterous groups on either side of us making conversation amongst our party of 3 nearly impossible. We mostly had to eat in silence. This was on a weeknight and I can't imagine going near the place on weekends.Special Features:
- One my my favoritesDouglas1Dined on 5/1/2014I consider myself a foodie and have never been disappointed in the A restaurant. Been there many times. Food is great, service excellent, ambiance is romantic. Can be a bit loud during the height of the bar scene but not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the ArchesDisappointedDined on 4/26/2014if only they could go back in time. the menu was disappointing, and i should have known how the food would have been based on that. all three of us were disappointed in the food. the pork was dry and underwhelming. the server was excellent, though, a throwback to the old restaurant. the place has become more of a bar now, so that may be what it's good forSpecial Features:
- Great Service and FoodRandyVIPDined on 4/21/2014Overall great time at A's. Went with a group of friends for lunch. The only downside...we were the only ones there. A's needs to do something to bring in the lunch time crowd to give the place some life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the Charts Great!OldTownFoodieVIPDined on 4/19/2014We were visiting the area, and out of all the restaurants we tried in OC, this was our favorite! Great service by Stacy and a wonderful and varied menu prepared exquisitely. This will be the first stop we make the next time we are back in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2014The steaks are great here. The restaurant is a little noisy if you are looking for something quiet and romantic. The waiter we had was not good. I am not sure he was not listening (because of noise) or just not paying attention. We had to send back appetizer because he gave us the wrong items. We had to send back one of our steaks because it was well done and we asked for it to be medium rare which is a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyBitofSFDined on 3/28/2014We had a reservation and still had to wait 1/2 an hour due to a specific request. Previously, we had a booth in the back room and had Santiago as our waiter. It was such a good experience that we requested to be in Santiago's station again...hence the wait. It was well worth it however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing eveningLynnDined on 3/28/2014Jammed packed and noise level so high our party of 4 couldn't hear one another. Food decent, service marginal … never got all of our order. We will never go back nor recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Always the Best!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 3/21/2014Thanks again for another wonderful experience! Food is always superb, and the service spendid! This time we treated 3 generations of family (younger AND older!) to a scrumptious birthday dinner! Since A is our favorite spot, we wanted to make sure Mom and Dad had the opportunity to experience and enjoy! See you soon! Hugs to Jordon!Special Features:
- Must try!CoreyDined on 3/15/2014An absolute gem! If you're dining out in Newport Beach you must put A Restaurant on your list! Coming from Boston, I'm used to exception culinary experiences and this was one of them! I will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat MarketJamesDined on 3/13/2014If you're a wealthy middle-aged man seeking attractive young women who gravitate toward money, this is the place for you.. The food is good, the appointments are old-school club-type red leather booths, and the service is excellent. But the clientele and the noise level made dining an unpleasant experience for my party. We went there on a Thursday night; I shudder to think what the place must be like on Friday or Saturday.Special Features:
- Fabulous Old School SteakhouseGourmet2smilesDined on 3/8/2014A Restaurant is a marvelous Old School Steakhouse with both a wonderful and modern menu. Both food and service were superlative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super mealyouandmeDined on 2/22/2014A Restaurant never disappoints! superb cocktails, great service, fantastic steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST!BeecharmerDined on 2/21/2014We cannot say enough good things about this restaurant! First time & we went for lunch. Interior is fabulous, elegant, easy to enjoy the people you're with, comfortable & enjoyment of food. Everything they served was the finest quality and delicious. I had THE BEST hamburger ever! Cheese Plate was fabulous, Sides all great...10 Stars! Prices for what we got were reasonable & equal to places on 17th Street & down by the Bay...maybe even better, with an attitude to please, which is unique in Newport. Oh, and the service...the most professional, charming people we've met in a very long time. They were there to make sure we were comfortable and happy. We will go back very soon, and am spreading the word among friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningRecEaterVIPDined on 2/15/2014Enjoyed the decor; a very dark steak house feel. The crispy calamari was excellent. The Delmonico was good but I'll try something else on my next visit. I was disappointed in the goat cheese and lime cheesecake but my wife liked it. Service was very good. I will go back and try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchTaritDined on 2/13/2014Chef John, came out and took great care of my wife and I. We have never had a better meal and dinner experience in the past few months. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal Great eveningLocaleaterVIPDined on 2/6/2014What a surprise. It's been 25 years since I've been here and the evening was delightful. The service was excellent and the food amazing. Great Evening!Special Features:
- A Must Stand for AmazingSexyBDined on 2/1/2014The charcuterie board is small but delicious. You can't go wrong with any of the salads they offer. The filet is my favorite and prepared with a delicious herb butters.The cauliflower steak is an awesome vegetable side. It's definately loud on the weekends, not a place to go for a quiet rendevous, but the food and service is amazing!Special Features:
- Always a winner!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 1/27/2014I've dined at A Restaurant on several occasions -- both for business dinners and for social gatherings -- since their reopening, and am consistently overwhelmed by their performance! Excellent wine selection. All the appetizers and entrees I and my guests have ordered have been fabulous. Highly recommend the block steak and the scallops. The brussel sprout appetizer and the ahi are exceptional treats! Oh, and try their homemade ice cream, too! The salty caramel was incredible! Thanks for another wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Old SchoolBusinessTravellerDined on 1/25/2014A Restaurant is clearly an 'old school' steak and seafood place that brings in a boisterous bar crowd. The service was the best part of the entire dining experience, followed by the food. The Brussels Sprouts appetizer is superb, the calamari excellent and the beet salad appetizer one of the best. Steaks and swordfish are top notch; and the cheese selections are varied enough and well presented. The red leather booths and dark wood interior do harken back a generation or two, but A Restaurant carries it off, packing in an eclectic crowd of all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againRegularJoe57Dined on 1/17/2014Consistently good, knowledgable and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A" True GemamymDined on 1/5/2014The food here is absolutely amazing. The Brussel Sprout Appetizer is made to perfection everytime. I had a wonderful birthday dinner there with my family recently. Will be returning soon. Amy GSpecial Features:
- Nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/4/2014Dark and loud but has good food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable dinnerDebFoodVIPDined on 1/3/2014We always enjoy this spot--we prefer the main dining room near the fireplace. The service is always excellent and the quality of the food is consistently good. The short rib special was wonderful!Special Features:
- Special Request?!?OCFoodieDined on 12/30/2013It's nice to have the Special Request option when reserving a table, however A Restaurant apparently does not read them. It was my husband's birthday and I wrote this in "Special Requests" and the restaurant did not acknowledge by end of dinner. I didn't want to remind the hostess, because my husband was standing right there with me. So unfortunately we left without a little celebration of his birthday.