A La Turka Restaurant
1417 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
TurkishPrice: $30 and under
A La Turka Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alaturkarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 744-2217
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer special menus and service for your occasions.
- Private Party Facilities: Bringing a diverse Turkish and Mediterranean kitchen into the heart of Manhattan, A LA TURKA features an exquisite menu, exotic atmosphere and friendly staff that have earned a reputation for being New York’s first choice in Mediterranean cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8774874342
- Entertainment: An authentic dinner with pleasing tunes from Buddha bar musician Hasan Isakkut and his band with traditional instruments, every wednesday night.
A word from A La Turka Restaurant
A La Turka, an Upper East Side restaurant that opened 17 years ago and is now booked every night, thanks to its great food, lively atmosphere and media attention. The restaurant has been featured on Channel 4, showing how to grill kebabs on the roof of Rockefeller Center, as well as how to make salt baked fish and on Fox5 where Dave Price has showcased its Saturday Night kebab buffet, belly dancers and live music. A La Turka offers along with 20 different kebabs like a kebab factory, including chicken, lamb and beef, also Mediterranean fish selections, as Branzini, in a cozy atmosphere that you and your family feels like having an authentic and remarkable dinner in Bosporus, Istanbul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
A La Turka Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (10)special occasion (8)great for lunch (7)romantic (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good Turkish Foodsrk49VIPDined on 11/16/2014The food is good here. Service also good. Will return. Good for groups, families, couples. Good all around.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014I booked a table for 5 people at 9:00 PM on Open Table but we had to wait quite a while before we were seated. What's the point of a reservation? Good neighborhood place and decent food but I hate to wait....................I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rhodro1RhodroDined on 11/8/2014Always treated royally! Food well prepared; drinks are very generous. Great value! Very friendly...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish deliciousMericVIPDined on 11/8/2014Nice to have a round table for six..food fresh and authentic..love the way they let you sit as long as you care to. Very civilized. Keep up the food work..one suggestion...stock some honey for tea ...Special Features:
- Great Turkish foodmjltVIPDined on 11/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner this weekend. From the bread to dessert, we enjoyed the meal. The prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patriciaDined on 11/6/2014great food and wine at reasonable prices. will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodFoodieNYCVIPDined on 11/5/2014Friendly and good Turkish food is what you get at this very good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Turkish RestaurantkbnyVIPDined on 11/2/2014Just went last Saturday because I wanted some of their great grilled octopus. It is always wonderful. Love how they prepare & serve with the grilled red onion & tomato. Choban salad is excellent too and I love the pastrami hummus.Special Features:
- Delicious Turkish food!SherylVIPDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant makes the most delicious Turkish food. I love the Lamb and Chicken Shish kebobs. Wonderfully flavorful rice. Great bread. Good salads. Love A La Turka! Service is really good too.Special Features:
- Great findAnnieDined on 10/25/2014Great location and always consistently good food. It can get noisy at times but it's ok. The wait staff is very pleasant and accommodating. It has become our "go to" place when we are in the city visiting our son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014First time here and will definitely be back. Food is delicious. Only complaint was that timing of the meal could have been better. We had not yet finished our appetizer when the main course arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkish delightsdragonflyVIPDined on 10/17/2014If you want authentic this is it. No complaints there. If you want to really visit with friends do not go on Friday night! Portions growing smaller? Pricing the same? HmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2014We enjoyed our meal a lot and the high number of people eating here on a Monday night says something about it.Special Features:
- Great turkish food, irresistible!SeafoodLoversDined on 10/3/2014Great turkish food, irresistible! Standard choice of turkish kebob variety with perfect way to prepare them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFinsterDined on 10/2/2014I moved to the are 4 weeks ago ..I've been to La turka 5 times already.....great food,and decent prices....huge portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!soyulbVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was delicious. They didn't seem to be able to find our reservation at first, and moved us around a couple times, giving us the back seats in a not-so-great dark area behind the restaurant. (Which is why I'm giving only three stars though the food was great) But turned out ok when they moved us back into the main dining hall.Special Features:
- Great Turkish food, service.....kbnyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Went with group of people from work. First of all, food was excellent, as always. Wonderful mezze with Choban (Shepard) salad with feta, hummus, eggplant with tomato, green beans, etc. The house made bread was very nice, and lots of it. Grilled octopus, outstanding. Service was friendly and attentive at first but wonder if our waiter lost interest in us when he realized no one was drinking? He seemed to have lost his charm as the evening wore on. Oh well, I'll be back for the food no matter.Special Features:
- freddiVIPDined on 9/17/2014trout was excellent.brought a friend from fl. who said she would be happy to return.Special Features:
- Some things never changeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/13/2014Our second visit here and all we will say is that if you don't mind just fair service, noise level that makes conversation if'ie, but with great food....then this is the place for youSpecial Features:
- Interior needs work/ food goodARR3VIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was good. Interior furniture, floors, etc. are screaming for a makeover (chairs are awful).I would recommend this to a friend.
- La TopicOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/6/2014First time dinner, and loved the food, we had the mixed starter (6) and each was better then the next, my stuffed cabbage leaves were a little disappointing, more rice than flavor and service started very strong but for some reason he disappeared through most of the second half worth a second chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, eh in service.DinaDined on 9/2/2014There was a bit of confusion over my OpenTable reservation and they were almost not ready to award me my credit. However, the matter resolved once I got on the phone with OpenTable. The waiter was a bit gruff and not really very warm. The food, however, was excellent. We had the stuffed chicken and kebab platter. My friend and I each wanted to pack up the leftovers (as there was lots of food!), which they did. But they switched our orders! How disappointed I was not to finish the remainder of my chicken!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst meal in years...Karenlc5VIPDined on 8/27/2014The fading sign missing letters of their name should have been a major hint that management didn't care; the worn-out, decades old cracked chairs and two other tables complaining should have made us run. The bread was slightly stale, the "olive oil" was vegetable oil in green-colored glass. The watered-down "yoghurt" & thin peppery dip bad. The eggplant dip was OK; the zucchini fritters passable. The entree of chicken stuffed with a flavored rice was DREADFUL...think cafeteria chicken from your high school days covered in a pasty white sauce with no taste whatsoever and you'll get the picture. The rice was mushy, overcooked and tasteless. There are excellent Turkish restaurants all over the city; skip this one.
- Great findJasonDined on 8/22/2014It's the second time I have been to A La Turka and once again, the food was great and the service is friendly & attentive. The lamb shish kebob, the shrimp and the cold appetizers are all delicious. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find!FranDined on 8/21/2014Nice setting for a special occasion or just an urge for good food! Stuffed cabbage was fab!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbour gemFrancesca211VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently good and the price is reasonable. The wait staff are attentive and they have a varied menu. If you like tasty, Mediterranean fare, then A La Turka should serve your needs.Special Features:
- Let downOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I had been to this restaurant a few times before and never really had an amazing experience but kept coming back because the food was good but this was our last visit. We had made a reservation in advance (through OpenTable) but were seated in the rear of the restaurant by the back door when there were other tables available in the front. The waiter was awful - no other words, just plain awful. They played an obnoxiously loud "Happy Birthday" song on speakers at such a high level that other diners were looking around at each other to make sure they weren't dreaming that they were at a Chuckie Cheeses or other kid place. We had taken two friends there and my fiance and I were horrified. There was also a FLY in the olive oil on the table!
- susanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Delicious fresh simply grilled fish (whole or filet) and great salads.
- The following 318 reviews are from the A La Turka Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very Fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The freshness of the food along with the thoughtfully prepared dishes is the winning feature here. The service is good overall, but in a good-amatuer way, definitely not professionals.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceFinecuisiningDined on 7/21/2014I got the eggplant lamb and it was perfect. The portions were very generous. But perfect amount of flavor. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond expectations!WHTBMW2011Dined on 7/20/2014Having never eaten Turkish food before, I was surprised that it is so good. Amazing service. Delicious food. The best Medeterranean Salad I have ever had. The Humis is to die for! (Normally, I do not even like Humis). I intend to go again and again and again!Special Features:
- WOW! Huge PortionsGatorDiningVIPDined on 7/19/2014Went here for dinner with my boyfriend. We love Mediterranean food and this by far has been the best place we have eaten at on the UES. The portion sizes were extremely generous for the price. I got the mixed chicken kabobs . . . for $23 you get one skewer of ground chicken, 1 skewer of shish kabob, and one skewer or marinated chicken thighs with grilled veggies, salad and rice. We also had the hummus which was spectacular and the bread they serve is SOOO GOOD. Our server was Ibrahim and he was extremely quick and responsive. Overall, if you want good Mediterranean food that fills you up without breaking the bank come here. Even if you aren't concerned about breaking the bank come here you won't be disappointed. GO GATORS!Special Features:
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 7/18/2014Have not been here for awhile and was delighted with the updates. Menu was expansive and very reasonable. Chicken Adana was very large and terrifically seasoned. It came with a small salad (even had mint in it) and rice. Definitely will be back. The staff was very friendly and accommodatingSpecial Features:
- Great findJILLYVIPDined on 7/6/2014Delicious, authentic, fresh . . . I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- great turkish restaurantcs65Dined on 7/1/2014Great variety, delicious food, prices are moderate, and service is excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- RegularRhodroDined on 6/30/2014We always enjoy our convenient, local favorite. Several staff members are amazing at remembering our preferences. We are often treated like 'family'. Best dry martini in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningPabloNYVIPDined on 6/26/2014We were surprised that, in addition to great food, we were entertained by (a) live music, (b) service to a nearby table of an entire roasted lamb and (c) a belly dancer extraordinaire. Added to the quality fare, this was certainly an exceptional evening. My one comment is that the main dishes could have been hotter. Try this but be aware of a very lively (and loud) dining room.Special Features:
- Very niceLaiaDined on 6/23/2014Good, food, fast service, pleasant! I only have one problem, not with the restaurant with the review why has to be 50 characters in length!?Special Features:
- Great, as alwayskbnyVIPDined on 6/20/2014Was so happy to see the grilled octopus on the specials menu, it was fantastic! Along with that we had the hummus with pastrami - warm hummus with tiny chips of crispy pastrami - Coban salad with feta, and Cacik. It was all excellent. I love A La Turka for authentic, fresh Turkish food.Special Features:
- Good solid neighborhood restaurantRichard45VIPDined on 6/18/2014We were looking for a pre-concert dinner and chose A La Turka. It was a great choice. Yes, you could celebrate a special occasion at this restaurant, but it has the kind of homey feel and excellent well prepared food that you could eat every day of the week. The service was friendly and very attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features: