A La Turka Restaurant
1417 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
TurkishPrice: $30 and under
A La Turka Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alaturkarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127442217
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer special menus and service for your occasions.
- Private Party Facilities: Bringing a diverse Turkish and Mediterranean kitchen into the heart of Manhattan, A LA TURKA features an exquisite menu, exotic atmosphere and friendly staff that have earned a reputation for being New York’s first choice in Mediterranean cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8774874342
- Entertainment: An authentic dinner with pleasing tunes from Buddha bar musician Hasan Isakkut and his band with traditional instruments, every wednesday night.
A word from A La Turka Restaurant
A La Turka, an Upper East Side restaurant that opened 17 years ago and is now booked every night, thanks to its great food, lively atmosphere and media attention. The restaurant has been featured on Channel 4, showing how to grill kebabs on the roof of Rockefeller Center, as well as how to make salt baked fish and on Fox5 where Dave Price has showcased its Saturday Night kebab buffet, belly dancers and live music. A La Turka offers along with 20 different kebabs like a kebab factory, including chicken, lamb and beef, also Mediterranean fish selections, as Branzini, in a cozy atmosphere that you and your family feels like having an authentic and remarkable dinner in Bosporus, Istanbul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
A La Turka Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (13)special occasion (11)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- The worst meal in years...Karenlc5VIPDined on 8/27/2014The fading sign missing letters of their name should have been a major hint that management didn't care; the worn-out, decades old cracked chairs and two other tables complaining should have made us run. The bread was slightly stale, the "olive oil" was vegetable oil in green-colored glass. The watered-down "yoghurt" & thin peppery dip bad. The eggplant dip was OK; the zucchini fritters passable. The entree of chicken stuffed with a flavored rice was DREADFUL...think cafeteria chicken from your high school days covered in a pasty white sauce with no taste whatsoever and you'll get the picture. The rice was mushy, overcooked and tasteless. There are excellent Turkish restaurants all over the city; skip this one.
- Great findJasonDined on 8/22/2014It's the second time I have been to A La Turka and once again, the food was great and the service is friendly & attentive. The lamb shish kebob, the shrimp and the cold appetizers are all delicious. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find!FranDined on 8/21/2014Nice setting for a special occasion or just an urge for good food! Stuffed cabbage was fab!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbour gemFrancesca211VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food is consistently good and the price is reasonable. The wait staff are attentive and they have a varied menu. If you like tasty, Mediterranean fare, then A La Turka should serve your needs.Special Features:
- Let downOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I had been to this restaurant a few times before and never really had an amazing experience but kept coming back because the food was good but this was our last visit. We had made a reservation in advance (through OpenTable) but were seated in the rear of the restaurant by the back door when there were other tables available in the front. The waiter was awful - no other words, just plain awful. They played an obnoxiously loud "Happy Birthday" song on speakers at such a high level that other diners were looking around at each other to make sure they weren't dreaming that they were at a Chuckie Cheeses or other kid place. We had taken two friends there and my fiance and I were horrified. There was also a FLY in the olive oil on the table!
- susanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Delicious fresh simply grilled fish (whole or filet) and great salads.
- Very Fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The freshness of the food along with the thoughtfully prepared dishes is the winning feature here. The service is good overall, but in a good-amatuer way, definitely not professionals.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceFinecuisiningDined on 7/21/2014I got the eggplant lamb and it was perfect. The portions were very generous. But perfect amount of flavor. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond expectations!WHTBMW2011Dined on 7/20/2014Having never eaten Turkish food before, I was surprised that it is so good. Amazing service. Delicious food. The best Medeterranean Salad I have ever had. The Humis is to die for! (Normally, I do not even like Humis). I intend to go again and again and again!Special Features:
- WOW! Huge PortionsGatorDiningVIPDined on 7/19/2014Went here for dinner with my boyfriend. We love Mediterranean food and this by far has been the best place we have eaten at on the UES. The portion sizes were extremely generous for the price. I got the mixed chicken kabobs . . . for $23 you get one skewer of ground chicken, 1 skewer of shish kabob, and one skewer or marinated chicken thighs with grilled veggies, salad and rice. We also had the hummus which was spectacular and the bread they serve is SOOO GOOD. Our server was Ibrahim and he was extremely quick and responsive. Overall, if you want good Mediterranean food that fills you up without breaking the bank come here. Even if you aren't concerned about breaking the bank come here you won't be disappointed. GO GATORS!Special Features:
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 7/18/2014Have not been here for awhile and was delighted with the updates. Menu was expansive and very reasonable. Chicken Adana was very large and terrifically seasoned. It came with a small salad (even had mint in it) and rice. Definitely will be back. The staff was very friendly and accommodatingSpecial Features:
- Great findJILLYVIPDined on 7/6/2014Delicious, authentic, fresh . . . I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- great turkish restaurantcs65Dined on 7/1/2014Great variety, delicious food, prices are moderate, and service is excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- RegularRhodroDined on 6/30/2014We always enjoy our convenient, local favorite. Several staff members are amazing at remembering our preferences. We are often treated like 'family'. Best dry martini in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningPabloNYVIPDined on 6/26/2014We were surprised that, in addition to great food, we were entertained by (a) live music, (b) service to a nearby table of an entire roasted lamb and (c) a belly dancer extraordinaire. Added to the quality fare, this was certainly an exceptional evening. My one comment is that the main dishes could have been hotter. Try this but be aware of a very lively (and loud) dining room.Special Features:
- Very niceLaiaDined on 6/23/2014Good, food, fast service, pleasant! I only have one problem, not with the restaurant with the review why has to be 50 characters in length!?Special Features:
- Great, as alwayskbnyVIPDined on 6/20/2014Was so happy to see the grilled octopus on the specials menu, it was fantastic! Along with that we had the hummus with pastrami - warm hummus with tiny chips of crispy pastrami - Coban salad with feta, and Cacik. It was all excellent. I love A La Turka for authentic, fresh Turkish food.Special Features:
- Good solid neighborhood restaurantRichard45Dined on 6/18/2014We were looking for a pre-concert dinner and chose A La Turka. It was a great choice. Yes, you could celebrate a special occasion at this restaurant, but it has the kind of homey feel and excellent well prepared food that you could eat every day of the week. The service was friendly and very attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:
- thursday night specialFoodieNYCVIPDined on 6/17/2014a nice and friendly place with great octopus, fresh grilled fish which was reasonably priced. the staff was very chatty and informative about ordering, and made you feel welcomed. their dinning suggestion were very good.Special Features:
- Great Food-Problematic ServiceRufusDined on 6/1/2014The food at this eatery was excellent, as always, but we had a server who was either very new or not very good at her job who placed an incorrect order that delayed four people being able to enjoy their meal simultaneously. The owner and the sevrer both apologized which was a big plus. That meal was also deducted from the bill which was unexpected, but much appreciated. The vodka and gin gimlets and the vodka martini were about as good as a cocktail can be and the bartender was invited over to our table so we can tell her that directly. Lots of excellent entrees to choose from each one getting rave reviews. The mixed appetizer (cold) for two easily fed four people and was excellent along with their exceptionally good bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All at onceCityCatnycVIPDined on 5/31/2014We have been here a couple of times for lunch. This was our first time going for dinner. If you like waiting 15minutes to get one menu for three people, another 15 for you order to be taken and then have all your food and drinks arrive at the same time at cramped tables, then A La Turka is for you. Noise level and ambience was equivalent to a suburban pizza joint on a Saturday night. Except no crying babies.(that is the positive). The salads are crisp and refreshing but the beef and lamb kebabs are tough and the taste is indistinguishable between them. Better option is to go at lunch. Service is better and noise level is reasonable.Special Features:
- Very disappointingNYCFoodieandFriendsDined on 5/17/2014Read all the reviews here and decided to check it out for my birthday dinner. Was a disappointing birthday meal. Started off nicely, there were 5 of us and we sat outside and waitress immediately took drink orders. All downhill after that. Had to ask for water and refills. Appetizers were good but dinners were not. Lamb shank was tough and chewy with rice pilaf from a box. Desserts were mediocre at best. No lights outside so by end of the meal we were sitting in almost total darkness and the table candle was not enough, luckily NYC is bright in general so we didn't trip on our way out after paying the check. With so many choices in NYC and many with outdoor seating, we will not be going to back to this place.
- Ooh la turkaiheartNewYorkDined on 5/17/2014We were looking for good Mediterranean food in the neighborhood and found La Turka. It met our expectations. There were lots of delicious and healthy choices. There were many Turkish customers which is always a great sign! The staff were all friendly and accommodating. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The neighborhood Turkish placeCaseystarDined on 5/11/2014Always a pleasure to visit. Food is good, portions generous and wait staff pleasant. It has become one our places to go for a special family occasion, but is casual and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 300 reviews are from the A La Turka Restaurant reviews archive.
- loved this restaurantBarbaraDined on 5/3/2014We found this restaurant on Open table, wanted to be on the upper east side, Like Turkish food and decided to give it a shot with friends. We were pleasantly surprised! We were seated immediately (thank you open table), the table was by the window and while the restaurant was crowded, we did not think overly noisy, the food was quite good and we thought it was a great place!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Gemsrk49VIPDined on 4/27/2014Love the coban salad. Didn't care for the cigars but everyone else did. Love the baby eggplant app. Ordered two orders. The kebabs were all very good. One person thought the chicken was dry. The shrimp was cooked perfectly. The bread was great. The service was wonderful. Will return.
- Good! really!cestmoi26VIPDined on 4/25/2014Service was great, the food was great as well and very reasonable price wise. I think for the money you cannot do better in the citySpecial Features:
- Great Turkish RestaurantLoveGdFoodDined on 4/25/2014I'd never been to a Turkish restaurant and found myself comparing it to Lebanese food and expecting not to like it. But, I was pleasantly surprised. The food was amazing! Loved, loved, loved it. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- A La Turkasrk49VIPDined on 4/6/2014Party of 6. Seated immediately. Ordered apps to start. Stuffed eggplant, Coban salad, grilled octopus, eggplant salad, scallion pancake. Ran out of spicy cigars. Wanted puffed bread. Not available. Ordered entrees. Ran out of moussaka All the food was good. Waitress was very good. Gave us comped fruit plate because of all the food they didn't have.
- Love the octopuskbnyVIPDined on 3/29/2014Wish they would have t more often!! Also love the Choban salad, Cacik, hummus, etc. Everything there is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodHappytosayDined on 3/22/2014Happy to report that A La Turka lived up to my expectations from past visits. The food was excellent and plentiful. The restaurant was very busy, but we were seated fairly quickly and the service was good. Plan to return oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksAbbeyVIPDined on 3/20/2014Always good, whole fish is consistently fresh and flavorful , service is attentive.Special Features:
- Family gatheringRhodroDined on 3/18/2014We eat here very often, as it's right across the street, but, it's also very good and we're always treated very well. Bread is delish. Drinks are 'full size. Portions are, also!'Special Features:
- Turkish treatLarryDined on 3/14/2014Pleasant and informal type of restuarant. Food was quite good, and seemed quite authenitic turkish. Service was attentive without being overlym intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Food was great, service was excellent. Was looking for a quick place to have dinner and made reservations 2 hours before arrival.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014Excellent Food and good service. Enjoyable dinner with friends from out of town. Food was very authentic.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant!HoneyDined on 3/1/2014Terrific place to go to for fresh, tasty food that has an upscale vibe with an attentive waitstaff. The assorted appetizers were amazing. The fresh fish was perfectly prepared and the mixed grill was delicious. Whatever you do, don't miss getting the Turkish pizza!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful nightMrcardDined on 2/14/2014It a wonderful night indeed. Given that I never eat Turkish food before it was wonderful that my fist experience was at A a La Turka because they didn't disappoint. I would recommend this place to anyone especially on a special occasion. The wine and scenery with the jazz music was great couldn't ask for anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but cold temperatures!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014There was one table left for 4 people and we were seated next to the windows in the corner. It was so cold for the entire evening with my back and side to the window that all I could think about was wrapping my coat around me and the long table cloth around my legs. The waiter asked ,"how is everything" and I replied " I am very cold. " He said,"there is nothing I can do about that". He also said that we could not stay past a certain time if we were ordering the special menu. I said , one hour was not enough to enjoy the meal. Reluctantly, he said well alright then.....enjoy! Go there when the weather is warm and you will be happy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedRosyDined on 2/14/2014The salad and pizza were good, but the fish dry and came with no vegetables or starch. It was loud and the flute player awful.