A La Turca
869 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
TurkishPrice: $30 and under
A La Turca
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alaturcasf.com/
- Phone: 4153451011x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Turkish, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We are glad to cater parties of up to 500 people, from simple to elaborate menus. Just contact Matt for information (415) 345-1011.
- Private Party Contact: Matt 4153451011x
A word from A La Turca
Established in July 2002 as the first Turkish Restaurant in San Francisco. A La Turca is the recipient of numerous awards including "Best Turkish Restaurant" by local newspapers' readers polls. Nothing goes better with our freshly prepared appetizers than our home made pita bread, crispy outside and chewy inside. Freshness is also the secret to the unforgettable flavor of our sizzling kebabs. A La Turca continues its commitment to cooking from scratch according to traditional Turkish recipes. Our chefs skillfully prepare all our food fresh each and every day. Bring a friend or a group to visit us for an authentic Turkish experience. We also cater offsite for up to 500 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
A La Turca reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Treasure in the T-loinheyChrisDined on 7/25/2014My friends and I stopped in for an early dinner. What a charming restaurant! The staff was friendly and efficient; the food was tasty and very fresh, and reasonably priced. I'll definitely return so I can sample more items from the menu.Special Features:
- Unevendivegurl7Dined on 7/12/2014I had 2 appetizers: cold cucumber in yogurt and hot baked boreg - both wonderful. The beer & bread was interesting & good. I'm very used to Mediterranean/Armenian as I live in Fresno so I wanted to see how "Turkish" would be different. Mostly, it's not. The names of things are spelled or pronounced a little differently. The dinner plate of chicken, lamb, beef Doner - where the meat is minced/roasted was dry/burned, and the beef was mixed with the lamb not separate like they 'should' have been. I've had lots of shish so I didn't order it. The Doner should have been more like the Greek gyros meat. I guess I should have tried one of the minced meat dishes. Cake dessert was great; Turk. coffee was good but, as always, mostly sludge.Special Features:
- localdinerDined on 7/1/2014Good Turkish food in the Tenderloin. No atmosphere but good food.
- Great foodSparkyDined on 6/21/2014Amazing Turkish home cooked food with decent serviceSpecial Features:
- Hole in the Walk with great food!StarmtnDined on 6/6/2014A little run down, in a marginal neighborhood but made up for by great authentic Turkish and Mediterranean dishes, very helpful friendly service and reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousMokiMamaDined on 6/2/2014You won't have room for the Baklava - but you'll be missing so much if you pass it up - so get it and you will die happy!Special Features:
- The following 15 reviews are from the A La Turca reviews archive.
- YUM!GrannyLovesaPartyDined on 4/12/2014We spent too much because we ate too much, and drank a bottle of perfectly drinkable Turkish wine. A party of two, we had two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts, and shared everything of course. We stuffed ourselves, and every crumb was a party. This was really fun food and afterwards were were combing the internet for Turkish recipes. We were between a matinee at the ballet and an evening performance at Davies. Turkish families were eating there as well as symphony-goers. We hiked to the restaurant and took a cab back (the cabbie was disappointed that it wasn't a longer trip).Special Features:
- Perfect pre-symphony experiencemamahelenDined on 3/15/2014We wanted an interesting eating experience before attending a concert at the Davies Symphony Hall. A La Turca fit the bill very nicely. The food is traditional Turkish, and there are many excellent choices. We had a lamb dish that was attractively presented and delicious. The food was filling without being heavy or carb-overloaded. The rice pudding for dessert was heavenly and plenty for two. Service was friendly and quick. The atmosphere is casual, but many of the patrons were dressed up for the evening and we didn't feel out of place. Strongly recommend trying it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lamb chops EVER!!VHung08Dined on 3/8/2014The place looked a bit divey when we first walked in but they gave us a table in the upstairs area which was much nicer and secluded from the rest of the place. The service was great (we were not ignored even though we were upstairs) as we came in for a birthday but had forgotten candles. They provided everything for us including a nice touch of Turkish tea at the end which tasted really great. But what really won all of us over was the lamb chops. The majority of items were kebabs and we wanted something more entree like so we ordered the lamb chops. It was so juicy and tender that everyone at the table agreed it truly tasted amazing. We would all return just for those chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodevieDined on 3/7/2014I've taken several people here over the years and the food never disappoints. My guests are always pleased, as am I. The Pides are awesome, and my guest enjoyed his lamb kabab and we had the rice pudding for dessert. This restaurant is a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty GemRWAlfordDined on 1/23/2014Very quiet in the day, and the people there are really nice, hospitable, and serve pretty tasty food. Chicken Doner with tahini was fantastic, like really FANTASTIC. It reminded me of the home made kind my old roommates made. I also really liked, even if they were a bit oily, the cheese potato gozleme, again, brings me back. Most of my experience was based on satisfying a hankering I had from my past, and this place did it. The only thing I didnt like was the location, it isnt close to my work, meaning I cant dine here enough as I would like, but certainly would come back.Special Features:
- Table Upstairs with a great serviceninav364Dined on 1/18/2014it's far from BART,if you drive, parking is a problem in the area.We shared Shepherd Salad,simple&juicy.My husband had Stuffed Grape Leaves as a main dish,and i ordered Adana Kebap,both of superb quality.Kebab was so big that i had to take 2/3 of it home.They serve round bread when you come to the table, and it's very fresh&delicious. At the end of our dinner we got glasses of very strong tea.I would prefer to drink that apple tea we had everywhere in Turkey,but that was the only disappointment for the night.Service was fast. We had a table on the second floor,overlooking the main dining hall - it's easier to have a conversation there,and tables have nice tablecloths. Downstairs is more noise but you can watch the cooking process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/31/2013Went on New Year's Eve. This place isn't the best for a big party day like that but I'm sure it's great for a normal dinner. Service was a little slow, but the traditional Turkish food was fantastic
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/28/2013Do not let the area or the appearance of the restaurant distract you. This is a very good Turkish Restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Authentic and deliciousCleoBDined on 12/28/2013While the neighborhood isn't noteworthy, the food is worth the trip! Kebabs, ezme, pide and borek all were beautifully presented and tasted great. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't honor our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/8/2013We were a group of 5 with an Open Table reservation. When we arrived the table wasn't set up. They offered to put us upstairs, but then they left us there. Very poor slow service, no water-had to ask for it. No cutlery-had to ask for it. It's a very disappointing experience after a visit to Turkey.
- Unassuming, pleasant placeJeffreyDined on 11/1/2013Unassuming, pleasant place to dine with well prepared Turkish food at affordable prices with very attentive service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend the carved chickenEC2travelersDined on 9/20/2013We went to this restaurant since it was listed as Civic Center for location. It was a bit of a hike especially if you're dressed up to go to the symphony. Have said that, I would return. Service was prompt. My dinner was quite good. I recommend the shaved rotisserie chicken, favorful and moist. My husband had the ground lamb kabob--we didn't think it was as good--a bit greasy. We started with dolmas--delicious! Very quiet setting, don't be off-put by the block which has seedy parts to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Turkish Food in SFDineTownDined on 8/23/2013By far the best Turkish food in San Francisco; service was a little slow but the food was phenomenal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Baba Ganoush!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2013The Baba Ganoush was the star, the best we've ever had. Chicken Doner was very tasty. Adana Kebap was not so good. The service was good and friendly. The Turkish white wine was delicious and well priced. Will definitely return and try other dishes.Special Features:
- That was exactly it!NatalyaSDined on 7/28/2013I needed a decent place close to SF symphony for lunch with kids. A La Turca came up in my Open Table search. That was a great recommendation: food was great, service was fast and courteous, place was neat and well organized. Nothing fancy but really fresh great food! Will be back for sure!Special Features: