A La Provence
1415 Timberlane Road
Tallahassee, FL 32312Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
A La Provence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.aprovence.com/
- Phone: (850) 329-6870
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Dantzler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: William Bertoncin 8503296870
A word from A La Provence
A La Provence of Tallahassee is a fine dining restaurant offering French Classics and Euro-American cuisine. Our seafood is purchased fresh daily and our Chophouse menu features selections from Harris Ranch Beef for superior steaks. Our outstanding wine list and full bar offer a diverse selection to compliment our menu and please every palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
A La Provence - Best Restaurants in Tallahassee ›
A La Provence reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (21)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A perennial favoritePattyDined on 11/21/2014We were entertaining friends from out of town and immediately chose Provence as our site for lunch. The chicken crepes are to die for, and everyone had a great meal. The ambience is great, and there is a separate meeting room for groups, so it is never noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal.....again!sonormanDined on 11/14/2014My wife and I had such a fantastic meal a couple months back, we made the one hour + drive back. We were seated immediately and our server came by right away. He was very attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. We started our meal with a warm spinach salad for my wife and a bowl ol lobster bisque for me. My only suggestion would be to get the dressing on the side. It was a little too much for our taste ( taste was fine, just too much in the bowl). We had a cheese board with 3 cheeses and it was wonderful! We both had the chicken dish and it was delicious! No hesitation recommending this restaurant to anyone. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit and loved it!GeezerBoyDined on 10/25/2014Food great, but what we like most is the attentive and friendly staff. Our waiter dealt patiently with our indecision, made a few gentle suggestions (including an excellent wine) and worked our table like we were the only folks in the place. We are looking forward to more visits with friends and family.Special Features:
- goudDined on 10/22/2014Consistently great food with impressive plate presentation. I especially like the daily seafood choices which are always the freshest ever and cooked to perfection-never overcooked. The service and the owner/manager is friendly and circulating often to maintain and solicit immediate feedback from guests at their table. Love that homermade bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinner experienceDeaconChefDined on 10/18/2014From having to go find the hostess at 6:30 on a Saturday night - to our service simply taking too long, this was not fun a fun or worthwhile experience. The soup was clearly from soup base and the snails although helix, the butter was extremely salty as we told our server. There was very little authentic French about the menu. I ordered the duck pate which was good along with two cheeses; a blue which was good and a Taleggio which tasted more like brie - a far cry from authentic. The best thing about the meal was the wine. We ordered a Pouilly Fuisse and they were out of the brand listed, the one that they brought was corked and then we ordered a Ca Chardonnay which was good. Like most of the meal, it took three tries to get it right.
- Great DateBrainysmrfDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, great service and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great ambianceAllAroundEnjoyableDined on 10/3/2014Nice to meet and greet locals ... Food is great and service was very good despite being a busy Friday evening..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A La Provencepick17Dined on 9/27/2014Really disappointing. Difficult to find even with GPS. This restaurant makes claims for its French cuisine which is laughable. And it is greatly over-priced. Service was also amusingly self important which, given the prices and poor dishes, was sort of amazing. To be specific, risotto was over-cooked, salmon over-cooked, escargots were tough, and lamb chops tough and stringy, and needed at least one more. Our overall impression was a mean, badly cooked presentation, and we felt ripped off.
- Not happyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014We were both disappointed in food and service. This was a special occasion and we will not be back.Special Features:
- An Epicurean DelightMLaneDined on 9/24/2014I found this restaurant by accident while I was looking for another place about a year ago and I am very glad I did. The staff is friendly and they know the menu very well. The prices are very reasonable and the food is tremendous. The pate is made in house and is always superb. All of the entrees that I have tried are excellent but my favorite is the Chicken Normandy, perfectly roasted bone-in chicken with Calvados creme sauce. AMAZING!!! Also, the wine list is quite nice with very reasonable prices for the quality of the bottles available. I always dine at A La Provence when I come to town.Special Features:
- Excellent find!sonormanDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I had a fantastic meal here. The staff was very attentive and everything that we ordered was superb! We had lobster bisque , a small cheese board, a chopped salad and a chicken dish. I will be going back very soon!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerluvtoeatDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our forty-fifth wedding anniversary recently at A La Provence. We were treated to a great experience as we dined. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and helped us select a wine that was perfect for both our entrees The service was exceptional. We left feeling that we had had a wonderful time. We will be back!Special Features:
- One of the best in the areafiddlerDined on 8/12/2014Excellent service, excellent food; dining in the bar area is particularly cozy. Staff remember your wine preferences and are always willing to order additional vintages at your request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great ServiceVal2885Dined on 8/9/2014My fiancé and I had been meaning to check this place out for awhile as we love the whole market square area ( Lofty Pursuits, SideCar Gastropub, The Lounge) and we're so glad we finally did!! Our server Justin was extremely attentive and personable. He had some great recommendations (get the duck confit! Best I've had) All the food was cooked to perfection, and were pretty nice size portions. Also enjoyed the atmosphere and overall look. So if you're a fellow foodie, definitely check it outSpecial Features:
- Always GreatJaneVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been to A La Provence many times. I have never been disappointed. The food is always very good, staff are friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!!CharnishaDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating a much needed "date night" and stumbled upon A La Provence. From start to finish the meal was incredible! Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and the full wine list, offer ing to pair certain dishes with various varietals. We started with the Wagyu carpaccio, which was a first for both of us. Our waiter convinced us to steer away from our first choice (the tried-and-true escargot) and instead try something new. I had the Boeuf de Jour ( that night an in house dry aged hand cut New York strip). New York strip is not my first choice when it comes to steak but this was easily a top five contender! My wife had the Andoullie and scallop pasta which I "helped" her finish. AWESOME!!Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerHappilyFedDined on 8/7/2014Great anniversary dinner last week. The food, service, and atmosphere were all fantastic! We were able to relax and savor the delicious taste of the onion soup and the duck with quail main dish. The restaurant was not crowded on a Thursday night so we had a nice table. We would recommend this restaurant to others and we look forward to coming back again and trying their other variety of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful selection of cheeses Escargot is above average even for a French restaurant, though a little light on the Brie Diver sea scallops were simply outstanding Drinks were mediocre at best Quail-duck combination lacked any zip to itSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerPlanetGirlDined on 7/30/2014I've been to A La Provence for lunch, but this was my 1st time for dinner - went with my husband & another couple. The food is lovely, the service was great - waiter was humorous without being snarky, attentive without hovering. His recommendations for the cheese platter were good, as was the wine he suggested. Overall, I'd recommend this restaurant for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 249 reviews are from the A La Provence reviews archive.
- trinifoodieDined on 7/26/2014Our experience at A La Provence can be summed up as `adequate but not stellar''
- Wonderful foodNoleFamDined on 7/12/2014Went here recently for a birthday dinner for my husband. As always, the food was excellent. I had pasta and my husband had a petit filet. Only slight negative was the serice - our waiter seemed to forget about us. We had to ask for the water glasses to be filled long after they were empty. But overall a lovely restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- great food, great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014they did a great job with the food on their menu. Also, the staff was great. We went to the bar next door for drinks afterwards and talked with head chef and GM of the restaurant. Really nice people, really good food, and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- PidgeDined on 6/16/2014Loved it! Our first time dining at A La Provence and the only thing negative I could say is that it's a little difficult to find. If you see a big sign that says: LOUNGE, you're there. It's right next door with a canopy that comes all the way out to the parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its finest!IFineDineDined on 6/6/2014I took my significant other to A La Provence on two special occasions and they did not disappoint. The food is simply outstanding and the wine list left us satisfied. Even though the dessert menu seemed a little bare (in my personal opinion), the Grand Marnier souffle was quite tasty. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Good Food for a Good OccasionInSearchofZestDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I attended A La Provence for our first anniversary. It was a really good experience. We enjoyed the food, the wine, and the atmosphere of the restaurant. Our server was pleasant and helpful, and when our wine was unavailable, they upgraded it at no additional charge. We would be pleased to return to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- c'est la vieZooeyDined on 6/4/2014Maybe our expectations were too high or maybe the night we went the restaurant was not performing at its potential. Went middle of week restaurant was maybe at 25% of capacity. Took over an hour to get appetizers. Server was slow to clear and personable but considering we were there over 2 hours he was rarely at our table. The food had good presentation. Our cheese and cracker dish was served without crackers, had to request. Considering the average price per person was $45 we expected ambiance, great service and the food to be WOW. What we got was uncomfortable chairs in a room basically devoid of atmosphere, so so service, and food that was better than good but not WOW!Special Features:
- High EndFrenchflairDined on 5/10/2014Traditional French food done right. Indulgent service. Quite expensive. Only criticism is the stodgy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMisterBourbonDined on 5/9/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. Try the prix fixe option!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014A bit of a long wait in spite of having a reservation. Great service, meal and dining experience once seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation dinnerFSUvisitorDined on 5/3/2014The service and food were outstanding even in the full -to -capacity restaurant. We never felt rushed or ignored. The food was wonderful and we will be back next year!Special Features:
- Fabulous 4 courses and wine!familyoffoodiesDined on 5/3/2014The food was FABULOUS, and our waiter Chris was very attentive after a slightly slow start. Our waiter brought out a small sampler sized bean and olive salad on serving spoons as a starter. The bread had a spectacular olive tapenade! We ordered the lobster bisque, the escargot and the crab cake with the fried green tomato which was just divine and everyone's favorite! For entrees we ordered the salmon, the yellow fin tuna, the duck and the lamb. We ordered the flour-less chocolate torte, the creme brulee and a blueberry apple cobbler served with ice cream. If the building and decor were just a bit more upscale I would have given five stars. Excellent menu, food and wine at a great price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Buyer Beware"LyndsayCooperDined on 5/2/2014After selecting La Provence; making a rez 4 weeks in advance for for friends from out of town and their daughter graduating from FSU, we encountered the following disappointments: 1) 10 days before we were notified that we had to execute a food/beverage minimum agreement & return within 5 days, or else rez would be cancelled; and 2) upon our arrival, learned menu for this particular night was dramatically paired down from usual one. I was not apprised of either of these conditions when making the rez through OPEN TABLE. I have seen other "special notes" in OPEN TABLE when I've made rezes at other restaurants. Also, we were seated in the "banquet room" instead of the usual restaurant area. Isolated with no ambiance. Beware!
- LeslieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Ambiance of the restaurant was very nice, food was excellent and service was great! Bottles of wine weren't that expensive compared to most restaurants. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to go somewhere for a special occasion, or even just for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service elegant ambianceRGinTallyVIPDined on 4/21/2014Wife and friend went for lunch and loved it. My wife and often have diner here and it is always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Easter brunchturkeybreastclamshrimpDined on 4/20/2014We had a busy morning at our church and were happy to have a late lunch with you. The whole experience was outstanding. Wish you were open more Sundays but understand a day of rest.Special Features:
- What a Treat!Tivadar44Dined on 4/18/2014My Fiance and I were looking for fine french cuisine in Tallahassee, and did we ever find it! Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. The room was warm and inviting. Most importantly, the meal and the wine were exquisite for what was a well-priced, fine-dining experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This made our seminar!MorganDined on 4/17/2014Thank you for the exceptional food, service and use of your meeting room for our seminar. Both the food and the service well exceeded our expectations. Our clients filled out a seminar response form and most commented on how wonderful the food was. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great food and service.Hangingpaw1VIPDined on 3/17/2014The food and service were outstanding. The location of the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired and I was about to drive on by but I am glad that I stopped and gave it a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great french food....very authenticsharben21VIPDined on 3/12/2014Waiter, Lee, was.great. Food was fabulous. Cobia was great, filet was excellent--with potatoes that were so yummy. Abiance is nothing....clearly people to for the high quality food....!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the steak & it wasFrenchyDined on 3/8/2014Ordered the steak & it was 1/2 gristle..very disappointing