A La Lucia
315 Madison St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
A La Lucia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alalucia.com/
- Phone: (703) 836-5123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Nayeri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private Dining Space available for 20-40 Guests! Please visit our website or call 703-836-5123 for more information!
- Cross Street: North Royal St. (800 Block)
- Public Transit: The closest MetroRail Stop is Braddock Road (Yellow and Blue Lines) Distance 12 Blocks, however walking is not recommended. Alexandria Dash Bus #AT2 and/or #AT5 Bus will stop accross the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is somewhat congested during Lunch Hours. Metered spaces are available behind the building if street parking cannot be found. After 5pm and on Weekends guests should expect to find parking within 1 Block of the restaurant in most instances.
A word from A La Lucia
a la Lucia is a neighborhood restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. We specialize in homemade traditional Italian Fare and Italian Wines. Owner Michael Nayeri has been in the Washington Restaurant Business for over 20 years. We offer Brick oven Pizzas, Patio Seating, and Kids Menus. Our Private Wine Room is available for all types of parties up to 40 guests. We have a Full bar, specializing in Wine, where we broadcast all major sporting and news events.Continued
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
A La Lucia - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
A La Lucia reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (105)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (36)romantic (36)notable wine list (32)good for groups (24)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (1)Show More
- AMAZINGShinyOctopusDined on 8/22/2014We went for the Alexandria Restaurant Week special and left very happy. I went with my parents (table of 3) and had the watermelon and heirloom tomato salad, for dinner had grilled rockfish and for dessert the pistachio gelato. I am originally from NY and I will say that the food was excellent and very authentic. It was a perfect portion size and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nbrhoodfoodlvrDined on 8/22/2014Three of us had fabulous meals. It was Alexandria restaurant week and so these were the fixed-price three-course meals and still everything was outstanding. Kudos especially for the watermelon, goat chees and heirloom tomato first-course salad two of us chose. Also outstanding was the soft-shell crab! A la Lucia always makes us feel welcome, the meal is well paced, and they never make you feel rushed. And everything was just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best.Papa3Dined on 8/22/2014I use this restaurant frequently. They always exceed my expectations. Excellent food, excellent wine and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good low-key family spotkathulahDined on 8/22/2014Good low-key family spot. ..............................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014We dined for restaurant week. Friendly and attentive service on a busy Friday night-our server was very knowledgable about the entrees and the wine list and his recommendation of wine was spot on. Portion sizes were generous. Mussels in spicy white wine, and endive salad appetizers were very good. For main, we had the rack of veal the table favorite - perfectly cooked, moist and flavorful, pasta with stuffed meatballs-also very good as was the veal with Parmesan gratin. The pana cotta was very good, and the chocolate cake was a hit as well-light and not overly sweet. A la Lucia has the feel of a nice, cozy, neighborhood restaurant, with plenty of neighborhood parking-a real plus in old town.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and atmospherefoody74Dined on 8/18/2014Went here for my 40th birthday and they made me feel very special. There was 6 of us and the space was perfect. They were very accommodating when I wanted to change a few items to my meal. They also came out with a cake and candle and sang me happy birthday.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014We had nor visited for several years and went back during restaurant week. Surprisingly good food, excellent friendly service and lovely quiet dining room. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no let down here2AlexandriaDined on 8/17/2014Everything was spot on. I loved the soft shell crabs. The food was served at the right temperature and in ample amounts. This is a place I count on for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time Experience4MuffyDined on 8/17/2014It was our first time here and it was such a great experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLaTascaDined on 8/14/2014I have never been to La Lucia before and I was looking for somewhere new to take my parents who were visiting and like a good meal. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and the service was wonderful. The wine was great and the portions were perfect. It was a great evening for everyone in our party and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHjhgDined on 8/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the evening dining experience during restaurant week. From the appetizer to main dish to dessert the food was delicious and still lingering in my thoughts now as I write this. If you have the chance to dine here please try!Special Features:
- Great Local PlaceDex024VIPDined on 8/12/2014Good food and nice ambiance. Parking a pain but service is greatSpecial Features:
- Our Favorite Neighborhood placeBoomerVIPDined on 8/12/2014There are many places to choose in Old Town, many more expensive, hard to find parking, more menus selections, etc. but this is the place sheet the locals go and feel at home with great food and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014My friend and I had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The food tasted like authentic Italian food I would definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I went here on date. It has a great atmosphere, and the food was really good. They have a great 3 course menu, and it wasn't to expensive. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBebeDined on 8/9/2014One of my favorites and always delicious A favorite of mine and my friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The staff was very welcoming and the food was excellent as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back On My "To Dine" ListWsmithVIPDined on 8/5/2014After a few mediocre trips to this place over the past several years I have it a shot again and we were really surprised and pleased. Delicious focaccia bread to start followed by a delicious and balanced endive salad and crisp, well seasoned fried calamari, and a perfect and well portioned chicken parmagana and delicious house made fettuccini with tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Good is good here again and we'll be back again very soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant for LunchWadeDined on 8/5/2014I have been to A La Lucia many times for lunch and have never been disappointed. They have the best lasagna I have ever tasted. Service at lunch is also very good, especially by one waiter who has been there many years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about dinner. I went there for dinner on Tuesday evening; the ravioli was mediocre and the waitress' attitude was somewhere between brusque and downright unfriendly. For some reason they don't have lasagna on the dinner menu. I probably won't go back for dinner.Special Features:
- The following 717 reviews are from the A La Lucia reviews archive.
- Fine northern Italian restaurantNanCrewDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I discovered this fine northern Italian restaurant about six months ago, and have returned several times. The best northern Italian food we've found in Old Town Alexandria. Friendly staff; pleasant dining room decor. Because it's on the northern edge of Old Town, nearby on-street parking is easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdcfoodieDined on 7/25/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant based on the reviews but was very disappointed with the food. I sat outside which was nice but waited a while before a waiter acknowledged me. I asked the waiter for a food recommendation and he seemed put out. I decided on the black linguine with scallops, shrimp and clams. The sauce had absolutely no flavor and in fact seemed as if the shrimp were undercooked. I love seafood so this was upsetting. On top of flavor lacking food my cloth napkin smelled of pesticide. I will not be back.Special Features:
- Always Good To FineGIGIDined on 7/22/2014This is our neighborhood restaurant and we are so grateful for it. The menu has variety but is not so large as to make me suspicious that the food has been preprepared, frozen and then nuked.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood Italian Around!Eliz41Dined on 7/22/2014Pasta is all to die for, as is my favorite entree that I hope stays on the menu forever - perfectly prepared grilled giant sea scallops over a bed of fried zucchini. Bread basket is also amazing. Decor is tiered, but that's not what people go there for. There is some nice outdoor seating, but it is right near the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodWestAlexDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014One of the things I like about A La Lucia is that it is consistently good. The staff is friendly and helpful and the food is consistently good. Our party loved the Salmon, the Rockfish was superb and my daughter really enjoyed her chicken marsala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Dining at A La LuciaJMacDined on 7/12/2014My friend and I were not overly impressed with our experience. Upon arrival, we were not greeted in a friendly or welcoming manner. We were shown a 2-top table in the back room, but it was crowded and poorly lit (no windows). My friend has severe anxiety and claustrophobia, so we asked to be seated somewhere near a window. The request was not met graciously, but as an inconvenience. We had to wait some time before our server finally came to "greet us." When she did, it was not warm - just very business like. We asked what were the specials/suggestions - and she told us to look in the menu! We ordered the 3-course meal, but it was so-so; nothing special. We asked for coffee with cream, but were given skim milk.
- Neighborhood gemjabusadcDined on 7/7/2014We needed to stop for dinner before continuing home from the airport. Found great reviews about this place and decided to give it a try. The food was great the wait staff attentive and prices reasonable. To me one of the most impressive things was that this is clearly a neighborhood place. Pedestrians, everyone passing by knew the wait staff by name and the wait staff knew both the adults and their kids and everyone's recent doings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014The servers were attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!coke90Dined on 6/29/2014Thank you very much for making my birthday special! The waiter overheard it (it was not announced!) and gave me a piece of cake. It was really sweet! The service was outstanding (even before I got cake!) and waitstaff was very pleasant and exactly attentive enough, but not too much. I highly recommend this restaurant, and have done so to others! Wonderful - thank you!!! My whole family enjoyed what we ordered and almost every last morsel was eaten!!Special Features:
- fabulousluckylouieVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had a fabulous meal at A La Lucia on Saturday night. We had the fixed price 3 course meal, and it was hard to decide which course was best. asparagus with melted provolone was fantastic-- would have had several more servings if available. Both fish entrees were excellent Every bit of the meal was delicious and well presented. Service quick and attentive but not rushed. One of the best meals I have had in quite a while.Special Features:
- dinner serviceartistDined on 6/27/2014This was the 2nd or 3rd time we ate here. The food is very consistently good. Our issues this past time was the lack of attention from our server/waiter. He never came for our orders,We had to flag him down. He never came for my wine order,even after he knew I wanted wine. He never came to check if we needed anything after the food arrived, and he never came to refill water glasses. I was constantly waving him down. He is a regular waiter here as we have seen him before so I don't know what happened this particular evening (and he was not busy that he cud not attend to our needs).Special Features:
- A Disappointing ExperiencefunnybunnyDined on 6/25/2014We had been to Ala Luciana a couple of times previously and had found the food to be very good. Our most recent experience, this past week, was a disappointment. I had a veal scallopini with parmesan that was larger than needed but lacked flavor. My wife had soft shelled crabs that she described as dry and lacking in meat. We both had the mango sorbet and that was the best part of the meal. Her coffee tasted as if it had been rewarmed though my decaf expresso was flavorful. The service, however, was prompt and friendly.
- A La Lucia comes through again!FoodFansVIPDined on 6/20/2014For the past four years, we've celebrated my elderly mother's birthday at A La Lucia. This most recent birthday - her 93rd - was exceptional. The food, the ambiance - both stellar, but the customer service was truly exceptional on this occasion. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 27th Anniversart dinnerLemmsDined on 6/20/2014We have lived in Mount Vernon section of Alexandria since 1991 and this was our first visit to this restaurant. We would bring family and friends in the future. We had a most enjoyable experience. The wait staff was very personally oriented in meeting our needs. The menu had plenty of options and my wife and I both enjoyed our entrees. The restaurant was kind enough to provide our dessert "on the house" to honor of anniversary dinner. Much to our surprise, on the way out, the restaurant had filled in quite a lot and we hadn't even noticed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal2loveoldtownDined on 6/18/2014This is my 5th time at A La Lucia, always enjoy their food and they have a great menu and also wonderful specials. The portions a big, food well cooked and seasoned, and the service is always great. Only negatives, small rooms, tables are close together and it can get very loud.Special Features:
- I couldn't have asked for moreThePBandJsDined on 6/14/2014I booked our reservations based on location and reviews. This was for a birthday dinner for my wife and I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, it seemed like the staff really went above and beyond to ensure my wife's pre-ordered flowers were already on our reserved table and I didn't even have to inquire about a birthday dessert being delivered to her (I'd only mentioned it in the special request box while making reservations online). We were 100% satisfied with our meals and service and I definitely feel that we got our money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 6/11/2014We took an out of town friend here for dinner and as always the food was excellent. Our only problem was that there were too many good choices on the menu to select from. The service was just right allowing us time to enjoy each course and our conversation. Well done!Special Features:
- VisitorsWillieVIPDined on 6/10/2014We took friends from Tennessee to our favorite Italian restaurant, and neither we nor they were disappointed. Their comments were: You were right, this was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Basic Italian Foodlove4foodDined on 6/8/2014It's a great neighborhood Italian restaurant with no pretenses. They serve basic Italian fare with some interesting specials, and plenty of seafood pasta options. The menu should have something for everyone, and is moderately priced. I ordered a seafood linguini with calamari, shrimp, and mussels in a spicy marinara sauce, and I was not disappointed. This was my second time dining here, and I must say that the food is very delicious. The service is pretty impeccable as well, as you wait for nothing. They also have a descent wine list, which is discounted by the bottle 25% on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday only. That was a first for me, and a bonus to keep me coming back. Overall, it is a charming casual restaurant with awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DangerousDittothecatVIPDined on 6/8/2014We just moved into the neighborhood, and are experiencing many of the restaurants within walking distance. A La Lucia will be one that we come back to over and over. Plans for the future however will be drop in at the bar, share plates and enjoy a glass or two of wine. Too much of a good thing might be dangerous to our waists or other body parts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a la Lucia-Quiet End of AlexandriaJMCx2Dined on 6/7/2014I chose this restaurant for the cuisine & for the location, and neither one disappointed us. Saturday night offered plenty of nearby street parking, and the menu selection satisfied everyone in our family's party of 6. Food presentation was inventive, and the flavors were varied & impressive. Indoor seating is a bit tight, but the table service managed the close spaces pretty well and kept our drinks refreshed. a la Lucia has excellent food and is a very good value for your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.