A La Lucia
315 Madison St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
A La Lucia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alalucia.com/
- Phone: 7038365123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Nayeri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private Dining Space available for 20-40 Guests! Please visit our website or call 703-836-5123 for more information!
- Cross Street: North Royal St. (800 Block)
- Public Transit: The closest MetroRail Stop is Braddock Road (Yellow and Blue Lines) Distance 12 Blocks, however walking is not recommended. Alexandria Dash Bus #AT2 and/or #AT5 Bus will stop accross the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is somewhat congested during Lunch Hours. Metered spaces are available behind the building if street parking cannot be found. After 5pm and on Weekends guests should expect to find parking within 1 Block of the restaurant in most instances.
A word from A La Lucia
a la Lucia is a neighborhood restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. We specialize in homemade traditional Italian Fare and Italian Wines. Owner Michael Nayeri has been in the Washington Restaurant Business for over 20 years. We offer Brick oven Pizzas, Patio Seating, and Kids Menus. Our Private Wine Room is available for all types of parties up to 40 guests. We have a Full bar, specializing in Wine, where we broadcast all major sporting and news events.Continued
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
A La Lucia - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
A La Lucia reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (35)special occasion (33)romantic (28)good for groups (24)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (17)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (1)Show More
- Nice little neighborhood placeSBS50Dined on 9/20/2014Good Italian food, if nothing extremely out of the norm, great bread, good wine list at decent prices, good service. Quiet neighborhood outside the King Street corridor and easy street parking. Not inexpensive - I had the $30 three course menu and one glass of Barbera wine - with tax and tip it came to $50. But it's well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencenussmacDined on 9/19/2014If you try very, very hard you can find something wrong with any place. As hard as I try the only thing we could find wrong was that the tables were too close, and I grew very tired of hearing the political rampings of the guy at the table next to us. The food was superior, the service spot on, and the ambiance superb. Perhaps we should have requested a more private table for our Golden Anniversary celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchanting Eveningdui4dinnerDined on 9/9/2014We had a wonderful evening as we celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary with dear friends. Our experience overall was outstanding, notably our dinner, wine selection and service. A must visit restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The boys love it !2AlexandriaDined on 9/8/2014We took our 5 and 9 year old grandsons and their parents because I told the boys I would take them to a nice restaurant for their birthdays. They were on their best behavior and loved the food. The staff gave them desserts of chocolate mousse which they loved. We all dined well as usual and I would recommend this wine list especially the Barbaras for the value. This restaurant is one of our go to places.Special Features:
- Love it!BoomerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Our very favorite neighborhood restaurant. You always feel special, the food is great, and the staff work hard at making everyone happy. We always feel like "home" every time we dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit off the beaten pathmelkinsDined on 9/4/2014We were staying in Old Town Alexandra. Decided to walk since it was a nice night and not too far. Well it was further than we thought and the sidewalks were in rough shape a few places. So we took a taxi back (~$6.00). The food was good to very good. Ed had the clams, shrimp and calamari in a spicy white sauce over pasta and I had spaghetti with meat sauce. The spicy white sauce wasn't at all spicy. It was a bit runny actually, maybe due to the seafood? The spaghetti was very good and there was plenty of it. Service was fantastic and prices reasonable for a restaurant of that quality.Special Features:
- Average DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed the service---great service. Food was just average. Too much cheese on the pasta. Unfortunately, would not recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- MagnificoKmerchDined on 8/29/2014Our fifth time here and it was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerKateAVIPDined on 8/24/2014We are new to the neighborhood and we were so happy to find A La Lucia. I have high standards from Italian having grown up in NJ, and I'm adding A La Lucia to my list of go-to Italian spots when my family visitsSpecial Features:
- Will return, but will be selectivefoodandwineDined on 8/22/2014Nice ambience. Nice server. But, of the six items we ate, three will bring us back, three we'll never try again. The must have again items: one starter and the two main dishes. Mussels with out of this world spicy white broth. We mopped up the broth with every bit of bread we could find. It was fantastic. We also loved the veal chop (they didn't call it that, but that's what it was, and it was divine), and the veal scaloppine with a parmesan crust. Great portions, great flavors; great accompanying veggies, etc. My starter was so unremarkable I can't remember what it was. Bland. The two desserts - bad. Chocolate mousse tasted like store bought chocolate pudding. Pear dessert - tasteless. Note: it was restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliableSheridkDined on 8/22/2014A La Lucia is our go to restaurant. Its always reliable - in a convenient to drive to and park spot. Its a friendly family or special occasion spot. I always depend on the staff to recommend which dishes can be gluten-free - and they are very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Okay, Not GreatTresDined on 8/22/2014We arrived 5 mins before our reservation time of 7:30 and our table wasn't ready, no problem, the couple joining us hadn't arrived. Once the others joined us, we were again told our table wasn't ready, this was about 7:40 p.m. We were finally seated about 8:00 and not at an ideal table. The floor slanted downwards and the chairs our husbands occupied slid! My appetizer was bland, however the pasta dish I ordered made up for the tasteless endive salad. Another plus...the servers were attentive.Special Features:
- lovely food, lovely servicemoiraDined on 8/22/2014Highly recommend A La Lucia. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- AMAZINGShinyOctopusDined on 8/22/2014We went for the Alexandria Restaurant Week special and left very happy. I went with my parents (table of 3) and had the watermelon and heirloom tomato salad, for dinner had grilled rockfish and for dessert the pistachio gelato. I am originally from NY and I will say that the food was excellent and very authentic. It was a perfect portion size and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nbrhoodfoodlvrDined on 8/22/2014Three of us had fabulous meals. It was Alexandria restaurant week and so these were the fixed-price three-course meals and still everything was outstanding. Kudos especially for the watermelon, goat chees and heirloom tomato first-course salad two of us chose. Also outstanding was the soft-shell crab! A la Lucia always makes us feel welcome, the meal is well paced, and they never make you feel rushed. And everything was just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best.Papa3Dined on 8/22/2014I use this restaurant frequently. They always exceed my expectations. Excellent food, excellent wine and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good low-key family spotkathulahDined on 8/22/2014Good low-key family spot. ..............................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014We dined for restaurant week. Friendly and attentive service on a busy Friday night-our server was very knowledgable about the entrees and the wine list and his recommendation of wine was spot on. Portion sizes were generous. Mussels in spicy white wine, and endive salad appetizers were very good. For main, we had the rack of veal the table favorite - perfectly cooked, moist and flavorful, pasta with stuffed meatballs-also very good as was the veal with Parmesan gratin. The pana cotta was very good, and the chocolate cake was a hit as well-light and not overly sweet. A la Lucia has the feel of a nice, cozy, neighborhood restaurant, with plenty of neighborhood parking-a real plus in old town.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and atmospherefoody74Dined on 8/18/2014Went here for my 40th birthday and they made me feel very special. There was 6 of us and the space was perfect. They were very accommodating when I wanted to change a few items to my meal. They also came out with a cake and candle and sang me happy birthday.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014We had nor visited for several years and went back during restaurant week. Surprisingly good food, excellent friendly service and lovely quiet dining room. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no let down here2AlexandriaDined on 8/17/2014Everything was spot on. I loved the soft shell crabs. The food was served at the right temperature and in ample amounts. This is a place I count on for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time Experience4MuffyDined on 8/17/2014It was our first time here and it was such a great experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLaTascaDined on 8/14/2014I have never been to La Lucia before and I was looking for somewhere new to take my parents who were visiting and like a good meal. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and the service was wonderful. The wine was great and the portions were perfect. It was a great evening for everyone in our party and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHjhgDined on 8/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the evening dining experience during restaurant week. From the appetizer to main dish to dessert the food was delicious and still lingering in my thoughts now as I write this. If you have the chance to dine here please try!Special Features:
- Our Favorite Neighborhood placeBoomerVIPDined on 8/12/2014There are many places to choose in Old Town, many more expensive, hard to find parking, more menus selections, etc. but this is the place sheet the locals go and feel at home with great food and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014My friend and I had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The food tasted like authentic Italian food I would definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I went here on date. It has a great atmosphere, and the food was really good. They have a great 3 course menu, and it wasn't to expensive. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBebeDined on 8/9/2014One of my favorites and always delicious A favorite of mine and my friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The staff was very welcoming and the food was excellent as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back On My "To Dine" ListWsmithVIPDined on 8/5/2014After a few mediocre trips to this place over the past several years I have it a shot again and we were really surprised and pleased. Delicious focaccia bread to start followed by a delicious and balanced endive salad and crisp, well seasoned fried calamari, and a perfect and well portioned chicken parmagana and delicious house made fettuccini with tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Good is good here again and we'll be back again very soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant for LunchWadeDined on 8/5/2014I have been to A La Lucia many times for lunch and have never been disappointed. They have the best lasagna I have ever tasted. Service at lunch is also very good, especially by one waiter who has been there many years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about dinner. I went there for dinner on Tuesday evening; the ravioli was mediocre and the waitress' attitude was somewhere between brusque and downright unfriendly. For some reason they don't have lasagna on the dinner menu. I probably won't go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Fine northern Italian restaurantNanCrewDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I discovered this fine northern Italian restaurant about six months ago, and have returned several times. The best northern Italian food we've found in Old Town Alexandria. Friendly staff; pleasant dining room decor. Because it's on the northern edge of Old Town, nearby on-street parking is easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdcfoodieDined on 7/25/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant based on the reviews but was very disappointed with the food. I sat outside which was nice but waited a while before a waiter acknowledged me. I asked the waiter for a food recommendation and he seemed put out. I decided on the black linguine with scallops, shrimp and clams. The sauce had absolutely no flavor and in fact seemed as if the shrimp were undercooked. I love seafood so this was upsetting. On top of flavor lacking food my cloth napkin smelled of pesticide. I will not be back.Special Features:
- Always Good To FineGIGIDined on 7/22/2014This is our neighborhood restaurant and we are so grateful for it. The menu has variety but is not so large as to make me suspicious that the food has been preprepared, frozen and then nuked.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood Italian Around!Eliz41Dined on 7/22/2014Pasta is all to die for, as is my favorite entree that I hope stays on the menu forever - perfectly prepared grilled giant sea scallops over a bed of fried zucchini. Bread basket is also amazing. Decor is tiered, but that's not what people go there for. There is some nice outdoor seating, but it is right near the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodWestAlexDinerDined on 7/12/2014One of the things I like about A La Lucia is that it is consistently good. The staff is friendly and helpful and the food is consistently good. Our party loved the Salmon, the Rockfish was superb and my daughter really enjoyed her chicken marsala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Dining at A La LuciaJMacDined on 7/12/2014My friend and I were not overly impressed with our experience. Upon arrival, we were not greeted in a friendly or welcoming manner. We were shown a 2-top table in the back room, but it was crowded and poorly lit (no windows). My friend has severe anxiety and claustrophobia, so we asked to be seated somewhere near a window. The request was not met graciously, but as an inconvenience. We had to wait some time before our server finally came to "greet us." When she did, it was not warm - just very business like. We asked what were the specials/suggestions - and she told us to look in the menu! We ordered the 3-course meal, but it was so-so; nothing special. We asked for coffee with cream, but were given skim milk.
- Neighborhood gemjabusadcDined on 7/7/2014We needed to stop for dinner before continuing home from the airport. Found great reviews about this place and decided to give it a try. The food was great the wait staff attentive and prices reasonable. To me one of the most impressive things was that this is clearly a neighborhood place. Pedestrians, everyone passing by knew the wait staff by name and the wait staff knew both the adults and their kids and everyone's recent doings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014The servers were attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!coke90Dined on 6/29/2014Thank you very much for making my birthday special! The waiter overheard it (it was not announced!) and gave me a piece of cake. It was really sweet! The service was outstanding (even before I got cake!) and waitstaff was very pleasant and exactly attentive enough, but not too much. I highly recommend this restaurant, and have done so to others! Wonderful - thank you!!! My whole family enjoyed what we ordered and almost every last morsel was eaten!!Special Features: