A la bonne franquette
1421 31st Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98144Neighborhood:
Leschi / Madrona / Madison Park
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
A la bonne franquette
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.albfseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 568-7715
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Hamed Elnazir
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: One of the most breathtaking views in Seattle short of being at the top of the Space Needle.
- Special Events: We are offering a 3 course tasting menu for $28 Tuesday - Thursday from 10/15-10/24!
We are open Christmas Eve and New Years Eve
A word from A la bonne franquette
The French expression "A la bonne franquette" means that the food is homey and prepared without fuss. It’s all about the simplicity of the food and sharing it with friends and family. The food at A la bonne Franquette bistro is prepared using French techniques and recipes. It's also infused with Arabic spices which reflect Chef Hamed's Sudanese origins and nomadic life style through the great continent of Africa and the many influences he has encountered while living in Africa, Europe and in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
A la bonne franquette - Best Restaurants in Leschi / Madrona / Madison Park ›
A la bonne franquette reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (66)neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (56)romantic (54)special occasion (45)notable wine list (17)late-night find (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- JakeDined on 11/25/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening here......................we had a 7:15 P.M. reservation and actually were seated a bit earlier. They remembered my note re: a belated birthday for my husband.......and gave him a card and comped his drink. Our only criticism, is that we would go earlier next time...(and there will be a next time).......as it is a very small area, and the noise level got higher and higher and higher...I could not hear my husband across the table. It did not help that the table next to us, was a party of four, and incredibly loud. We learned more about their business , than we ever needed to know. And the tables are VERY close, due to , I assume, space limitations. All in all, we did enjoy it...the food was wonderful; it is a very interesting and varied menu....we will return and try to be there at a quieter time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for dinner with your loved oneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I always love the dessert wine here. Service is good. Food is always my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farwestnyDined on 11/21/2014French bistro cooking with an exotic flair. Julia would approve because ALBF stays true in its bones. Beautiful view tho' we can't figure out how to get a table at the window. They seem forever reservedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Auhentic food and lovely view!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Great venue; lovely authentic food. We loved the chicken in particular. I felt as if we were back in France with my family. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!MIeaterDined on 11/15/2014The food and service were outstanding as always. We had the lamb daub and the roast chicken breast, both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mt baker, Leschi, and nf cap hillMarkDined on 11/11/2014Neighborhood fav I go to often for intimate French fine dining and bistro Small and intimate with personal service. Emphasis on quality no quantity , so check out menu and call re specials. Hanger steak and chicken Rotte are signature dishes and pate appetizer and fish of day and desserts great . Wines primarily French. Location in small mt baker commercial area bout a mile west of international or south of cap hill that is quiet with street parking or no 14 bus. As long as menu choices ring ur bell u will be happy . Tables at back have the view (need to res ahead) and tables by front window quieter and I like em because I can watch my dogs leashed on the side walk. Small nice outdoor seating area for good weather but call re availability on those if important. I am a regular and picky, but definitely they have worked out some initial inconsistencies I gave feedback on when they opened a few years ago. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014Food was good but there was just something lacking to make it really tasty, which in effect had an overall disappointing experience. And we really wanted to like it since it's conveniently located in our neighborhood and the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- GoodtryDined on 10/31/2014An opportunity to experience a nice touch of French cuisine with a sprinkle of spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special pris fixe dinnerYouMustEnterANicknameDined on 10/27/2014This was a wine tasting (Firesteed Winery) and food-pairing event. The braised pork belly (first) and rabbit stew (second) were delicious (huge portions on the rabbit). For dessert, they knocked it out of the park with a profiterole with goat cheese ice cream and a warm quince sauce. Oh, and the wine was quite good, too.Special Features:
- Hurray for French bistro in SeattleMarcDined on 10/25/2014A La Bonne Franquette was exactly what was looking for. This time of year (autumn) I always want roasted/braised meats, and those wily French have a way with them. The restaurant is small, cozy, and almost certainly falls in the category of "neighborhood place," which, in my mind, is not a knock on the food (it isn't "fine dining" or haute cuisine), but a comment on the atmosphere (casual and inviting), service (friendly), and style of the menu (approachable). A very satisfying dinner and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodinspector1Dined on 10/24/2014The staff was amazing and food was delicious. We appreciated the recommended wine pairings with our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 4SeattleKiwiDined on 10/22/2014We had a great dining experience at la bonne franquette- from the interesting cocktails to the seasonal menu. The food was thoughtful and beautifully executed. My brother had a mushroom soup that was so delicious, he had to fend me off with a fork before I could grab more than the one tasting spoonful. Service was excellent and worth every cent... It's the kind of neighbourhood restaurant that we all dream about.Special Features:
- Outstanding!LisaDined on 10/14/2014A nice restaurant with excellent food and great view. I would say that it was one of the best dinner experience we ever had in Seattle.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, butWithfriendsDined on 10/14/2014We love this restaurant, but found the server we had on Tuesday night to be less than helpful. Our guests dine all over the world and find that most restaurants will help with the eating restrictions of one of them. Instead of being proactive about the situation, the server kept saying we can't do that. We ended up getting served by another more helpful server. I still love this restaurant for the food, ambiance and intimacy, but would prefer to never be served by that waiter again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencejonrDined on 10/14/2014The French bistro cuisine, outstanding food, friendly attentive service, and window view of Seattle made for a very memorable special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming spot great foodAnnieDined on 10/9/2014Great food, cocktails, friendly service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteBubbaDined on 10/1/2014I just had the most amazing red curry squash soup. I could have eaten another bowl, but was afraid to look like a pig in front of my dining companion. A very relaxed evening to catch up with a friend or to make new ones. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeattleFredDined on 9/27/2014Superb meal with a stunning view of downtown and the Olympic Mountains.We had the king salmon and the trout; each was beautifully prepared and very tasty. A pear galette and outstanding decaf made for a satisfying finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embrace the CrazyDelishDined on 9/20/2014La Bonne Franquette nails the bistro experience. Sure, it's crazy noisy and at first you think you won't be able to carry on a conversation, But just a few minutes in and you become part of the energy. The noise fades and you enter your own little world. The food is spectacular, the wine list is small but intelligent and the service is impeccable. The killer view doesn't hurt, either. This has become our go to spot for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- mostly hits, one misscuriousfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I love a la bonne franquette. I've been there several times now, and the food has always been wonderful -- traditionally French in many ways, but with the oddness of North African spices. This past visit, however, had some rough patches. Chef Hamed wasn't there, and the kitchen crew appeared stressed. Our order got lost in the shuffle. After an hour an a half, when everyone who had taken their seats long after us was already fed, ours finally arrived after we complained. The staff were apologetic, and offered to throw in a free dessert. But I'm horrified that in so small a restaurant nobody figured it out, especially as we were sitting next to the kitchen, and all the wait staff passed us to deliver food and take orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True gem in SeattleGreekDined on 9/18/2014This is an excellent restaurant for all occasions. Great and easy location and easy street parking. The view is romantic, the ambiance charming and makes you feel as if you're in a bistro outside of Paris in the country side. The food and menu selection is superb and an excellent value. Most important is the food is consistently excellent. I have dined here 6 times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZEB@lls!AChooChooDined on 9/16/2014This place was delicious and the service was incredible. Perfect place for a date night. Came here with my partner and we both left with smiling faces. We'll definitely be back! :)Special Features:
- A pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I felt the food was good but not as great as I expected, though i will say the chocolates dessert was extremely tasty. Though the service was very good I do not think it came off as overly friendly almost distant, didn't feel welcoming. I think my children's lack of enthusiasm didn't help, if you want a nice romantic location, with a view and good ambiance this is actually a great placeSpecial Features:
- Charming neighborhood gemFoodFreakVIPDined on 9/10/2014ALBF is the perfect combination of great food, great service, great neighborhood location, and great view. This quaint neighborhood place has a wonderful sunset view looking west onto the city and sound generates very high quality French bistro food with interesting specials. The butternut squash soup with sage butter was pure luxury and the plate of roasted chicken with savory bread pudding was returned licked clean. You'll find a small but affordable and high quality wine list to pair with the classic dishes, as well. My new favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IzzyDined on 9/9/2014This was a birthday evening for my honey...great food, perfect service a window table with a fabulous sunset view. The liver pate is FABULOUS!! This is our second visit and we will visit many times more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than a trip to ParisclosetfoodieDined on 9/9/2014Dinner at A la bonne franquette is like taking a quick trip to the Paris of your dreams. The space is intimate and not at all fussy. Everything is done to high standards, but without showing off or putting on airs. The food and the wine are exquisite, as are the views. You can imagine for the space of your meal that you are in that bistro you loved on that never-to-be-forgotten trip 5, 20, or 50 years ago. Even better, because you have the setting sun over the Olympics, downtown Seattle, and Puget Sound. Parking is easy.Special Features:
- Has it allemeraldcitydinerDined on 9/6/2014A la bonne franquette has it all. Fantastic view, great for groups or couples, romantic, kid friendly, great prices and a simple and delicious menu all nestled in a cozy neighborhood. My husband doesn't like fancy (and usually doesn't appreciate French cuisine) and he loved it!Special Features:
- UnsurpassedEmmalineDined on 9/6/2014Incredible food, incredible view, impeccable service, beautiful, intimate, romantic… there are not enough words to describe how much we've come to love this restaurant… as much in our 5th visit as we did in our first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseCampieVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is a little neighborhood restaurant, that we decided to try because of its location. It was fabulous, and the wait staff was friendly and accommodating. Will go back for sure!Special Features:
- Great Spot!MrDobolina1Dined on 8/27/2014Loved the look and feel of the place...great for couples or foursomes. Food was really good and service was good too...will go back.Special Features:
- 3rd Anniversary DinnerebbetsfieldDined on 8/25/2014Lovely evening. I would have preferred to hear more from the restaurant owners and less from the winery owner. He talked on and on when it would have been nice to enjoy the food and talk with my dinner companion. I go a la Bonne Franquette often, and it was nice to be at this special dinner. I was a little disappointed in the portion sizes, though I know it was a tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey, relaxedCheriemDined on 8/20/2014I got the "bonne franquette" ( homey ) part but I wasn't convinced about the French part. Menu items are light, but frankly there wasn't a main course on the menu that appealed to me. Nice bread and butter, nice green salad, ok tomato soup,not sure about leg of lamb on cold tabbouleh (quinoa), nice lentils with fatty pork belly, so so pain Perdu w/ peach. Innovative tastes from open kitchen. Attentive service. Splendid view. Bonne chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What on earth is a "review title"?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Classic French food. I had a trout with capers that would be an appropriate "last meal" for a dying man.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food, wonderful service. Whether you are a foodie or not, you'll love A La Bonne Franquette.Special Features:
- Reliably interestingRobWDined on 8/16/2014Interesting food along with standards, well prepared. Rather small and intimate. Have eaten here more than once and will again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic neighborhood findpansyollieVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've never been disappointed. Reasonable prices for great French country fare. Fantastic brined zucchini appetizer. Which we immediately tried to duplicate at home -- close but not quite as good. I had the Niçoise salad and my partner had lamb meatloaf. Nice bottle of Malbec. Too full for desert. Bill was surpringly reasonable. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodJoeyDined on 8/15/2014We had a very special evening here. I can't wait until we go again. The food was fresh, expertly prepared, and refreshingly presented.Special Features:
- A Bit of FrancepatronVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was delicious, but the portions were smaller than comparable restaurants. Fish was done nicely. The meal was on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seattledinerDined on 8/8/2014Great food and ambience. My third dinner there this year and all have been wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of ParisSeattlenickDined on 7/30/2014We have traveled to France on a number of occasions, often dining in the small bistros that abound, we felt as if we were transported back to Paris. The food was exceptional and truly French. The service was friendly, professional, and engaging. The view, while not Parisian, did remind us of Provance or Burgundy. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 252 reviews are from the A la bonne franquette reviews archive.