A la bonne franquette
1421 31st Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98144Neighborhood:
Leschi / Madrona / Madison Park
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
A la bonne franquette
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alabonnefranquetteseattle.com/
- Phone: 2065687715x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Hamed Elnazir
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: One of the most breathtaking views in Seattle short of being at the top of the Space Needle.
- Special Events: We are offering a 3 course tasting menu for $28 Tuesday - Thursday from 10/15-10/24!
We are open Christmas Eve and New Years Eve
A word from A la bonne franquette
The French expression "A la bonne franquette" means that the food is homey and prepared without fuss. It’s all about the simplicity of the food and sharing it with friends and family. The food at A la bonne Franquette bistro is prepared using French techniques and recipes. It's also infused with Arabic spices which reflect Chef Hamed's Sudanese origins and nomadic life style through the great continent of Africa and the many influences he has encountered while living in Africa, Europe and in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
A la bonne franquette - Best Restaurants in Leschi / Madrona / Madison Park ›
A la bonne franquette reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)scenic view (66)romantic (47)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (36)notable wine list (9)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- 3rd Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Lovely evening. I would have preferred to hear more from the restaurant owners and less from the winery owner. He talked on and on when it would have been nice to enjoy the food and talk with my dinner companion. I go a la Bonne Franquette often, and it was nice to be at this special dinner. I was a little disappointed in the portion sizes, though I know it was a tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey, relaxedCheriemDined on 8/20/2014I got the "bonne franquette" ( homey ) part but I wasn't convinced about the French part. Menu items are light, but frankly there wasn't a main course on the menu that appealed to me. Nice bread and butter, nice green salad, ok tomato soup,not sure about leg of lamb on cold tabbouleh (quinoa), nice lentils with fatty pork belly, so so pain Perdu w/ peach. Innovative tastes from open kitchen. Attentive service. Splendid view. Bonne chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What on earth is a "review title"?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Classic French food. I had a trout with capers that would be an appropriate "last meal" for a dying man.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food, wonderful service. Whether you are a foodie or not, you'll love A La Bonne Franquette.Special Features:
- Reliably interestingRobWDined on 8/16/2014Interesting food along with standards, well prepared. Rather small and intimate. Have eaten here more than once and will again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic neighborhood findpansyollieVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've never been disappointed. Reasonable prices for great French country fare. Fantastic brined zucchini appetizer. Which we immediately tried to duplicate at home -- close but not quite as good. I had the Niçoise salad and my partner had lamb meatloaf. Nice bottle of Malbec. Too full for desert. Bill was surpringly reasonable. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodJoeyDined on 8/15/2014We had a very special evening here. I can't wait until we go again. The food was fresh, expertly prepared, and refreshingly presented.Special Features:
- A Bit of FrancepatronVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was delicious, but the portions were smaller than comparable restaurants. Fish was done nicely. The meal was on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seattledinerDined on 8/8/2014Great food and ambience. My third dinner there this year and all have been wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of ParisSeattlenickDined on 7/30/2014We have traveled to France on a number of occasions, often dining in the small bistros that abound, we felt as if we were transported back to Paris. The food was exceptional and truly French. The service was friendly, professional, and engaging. The view, while not Parisian, did remind us of Provance or Burgundy. We will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a delightfoozyDined on 7/29/2014This has become our favorite restaurant for a number of reasons, but they all come down to the Total Experience. The food is not wildly experimental, but offers tweaks on traditional bistrot dishes that reflect our region, the season and the chef's experience, all expertly prepared and presented. The portions are ample but not frighteningly large. The staff is attentive, professional and discreet. The dining room is small but lovely, with an astonishing view. The music is good, and not too loud. The ambient noise is somehow managed: you can converse without shouting. The neighborhood has plenty of street parking. A la Bonne Franquette is always a relaxing, delicious experience.Special Features:
- Paris in SeattleShazDined on 7/26/2014We recently dinned here for my fiancée's birthday and it was phenomenal. My fiancée is French and her bar for French bistros in Seattle is very high, but she moved everything about this place. The open kitchen, the intimate environment and the view was amazing. Oh and the food is a hoe run as well :)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent cocktails and food (did not order wine); the trout dish is superb as was the chicken pate appetizer. What a great neighborhood French restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect for visitorsMikeDined on 7/18/2014Unlike Seattle's tourist hot-spots, A la bonne franquette is a smallish restaurant that is in no rush to turn over your table. It's in a classy residential neighborhood, and offers excellent people-watch views, as well as genuinely great food. (We loved the roasted cod.) About forty feet away from their front door is a gorgeous vista of downtown Seattle and the Sound beyond it.Special Features:
- Like Paris!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Our second visit here. One of our party was 45 minutes late(lost), they told us no worries,we had the table as long as we wanted it. I had the trout, my husband had the hangar steak. So perfect and delish-I havent' had trout like that since I lived in Switzerland years ago. Crispy skin, lemony with capers. Desert was chocolate pot de creme and we were in heaven. I would make this a routine if I lived in Seattle. Wonderful, thank you!!Special Features:
- consistent80thDined on 7/17/2014Consistently excellent!!! I am never disappointed except being forced to write so much on this review.Special Features:
- Mt. Baker GemFabPlaceVIPDined on 7/17/2014Lovely restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Dinner was excellent and service was great. Special birthday celebration for friends who had not dined at A la bonne franquette and it was a total knockout. This is a gem of a place in Mt. Baker. Well worth the drive. The evening was perfect. The Black Cod was the best thing on the menu and the potatoes were divine. Green beans and sautéd mushrooms were delicious. Steaks were a little tougher than expected but the flavor was good. Drinks flowed freely and everyone had a wonderful time. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, unfussy foodSimpleFoodieDined on 7/11/2014The server was kind, the food was delicious, and the view was fantastic. We went there for my dad's birthday, and it was the perfect choice. Will definitely eat there again! It's a little noisy, but worth it nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WithfriendsDined on 7/11/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. It was excellent both times and we have recommended it to several of our friends.Special Features:
- PriceyjanceeDined on 7/11/2014I felt that the price was a little high for the location of the restaurant. Granted it has a beautiful view and the food was very good. There is nothing to fault except the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceaaaaVIPDined on 6/25/2014First time here. Rather disappointed. Ordered nuts and olives as sides. Nuts look and taste like they came straight from a planters can (some fried onions added for show). Olives, pitted, also look and taste like they came straight from a jar. Bread is from central bakery and only ok (columbia city bakery is far superior). The beet salad and chicken liver pate were very good. The salmon special was very good and my fiancee enjoyed the idaho trout. Ambiance, view and service were very good. So overall, mixed experience.
- TudyVIPDined on 6/25/2014I love this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is friendly. Perfect little French bistro.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerFrankVIPDined on 6/24/2014We were a party of four visiting for dinner. Both the lamb chops and the trout very extremely well prepared. The service was attentive and very responsive to our requests. This is definitely a place we will return to again.Special Features:
- A birthday treatTastesandtalesDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner for a birthday and father's day treat. The view of Seattle from our window side seat was amazing - and the food was too! Between us we had salmon, pork and lamb chops all in delicious French preparations. The wait staff was helpful and had good recommendations. I am so happy to live walking distance from this jewel of a restaurant - but I would also recommend it for people driving in from hither and yon as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingdougDined on 6/4/2014We started coming here for something new in restaurants. We've not been disappointed with any meal or trying something different that the chef has for that evening. Don't miss one of Seattle's best hidden gems.Special Features:
- Romantic experiencehgangDined on 5/31/2014My boyfriend and I went for a birthday celebration. We spent two hours at the restaurant, enjoying the view and fine food. One of the appetizers was too salty (they had used salt to draw the liquid out of zucchini), but the meal was amazing. I can't believe I ordered a chicken dish, but it was AMAZINGLY good. It was on a bed of steamed kale and potato slices with what tasted like a beef sauce. Not sure, but it was GREAT. My boyfriend ordered a beef dish. I was too much into the evening, so I didn't write down the names of the recipes. Salads were great too. The view is amazing, overlooking downtown Seattle. A great find in what appears to be a residential neighborhood. I will go back when I go back to Seattle. Service:great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden in a quiet neighborhoodChefInstructorDined on 5/24/2014We took a Chef friend of mine and his wife here and the four of us had a fantastic time. We pretty much ate the menu having a couple appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts. Everything was prepared and presented beautifully from start to finish. This place is hidden in a quiet neighborhood where you wouldn't expect a nice restaurant to be. It's small with only 8-14 tables depending upon your party size, not much room for walk-in customers so I'd definitely make a reservation. Foodies - you'll love this place, romance - reserve your table early and request a window the view is really nice, others just looking for a nice night out - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL!WedgwoodMomVIPDined on 5/23/2014Another wonderful meal at A la bonne franquette. Fresh, inventive flavors in a casual, comfortable environment. Service wasn't quite as welcoming as previously but perhaps only because it was so above expectations during previous visits... Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOutoftownguestDined on 5/20/2014We went with out-of-town guests to celebrate a birthday and were seated at the window with a wonderful view. The service was outstanding without being overbearing. Everyone selected a different entrée and thoroughly enjoyed dinner. This is fast becoming one of our favorite dining spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary EveningJackDined on 5/17/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with terrific view of downtown Seattle. Great comfort bistro food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- As Always...foozyDined on 4/30/2014We revisited A La Bonne Franquette the night before last, and once again, found a bit of precise, but unpretentious, perfection on a plate. So comfortable, so pretty and so delicious! Have to bring this up: it's an unwieldy name for English speakers -- makes it hard to verbally recommend to friends. We've taken to calling it Frankie's.Special Features:
- The following 231 reviews are from the A la bonne franquette reviews archive.
- shotgun1852ShotGun1852Dined on 4/28/2014Excellent as always. Menu choices were perfect for the wines. Dervice timing appropriate. Starting at 6pm worked very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch this spot!LeschiGuyDined on 4/28/2014With the addition of a chef de cuisine, they are taking a step beyond the very good bistro fare they are already known for in the neighborhood. This occasion was a Cadence wine dinner; excellent pairings, reasonably priced. Our previous dinner there was notable for a nice special and interesting cocktails. Looking forward to whatever comes next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner spotseattledinerDined on 4/26/2014Great dining experience. Fantastic food. Nice variety of food and wine choices. Beautiful city view. Service was excellent. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WithfriendsDined on 4/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the evening from start to finish. Excellent service, great food, nice wine and wonderful atmoshere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindDinealotDined on 4/24/2014We had not heard much about A la bonne franquette and would like to change that for everyone else: it's a wonderful restaurant that I highly recommend to anyone looking for wonderful food served with care in a warm, romantic environment. Each person in our party of 4 came away vowing to return often. We're very happy we found it.Special Features:
- Surprise findfarwestnyDined on 4/23/2014Total gem. Quiet, beautiful, attentive staff. Great cocktails. But most important truly wonderful French food for this century. Not too rich. But each taste thoughtfully and respectfully created.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightconfabulatejoyDined on 4/19/2014Being new to the neighborhood I had driven/run past A la bonne Franquette several times. This was our first time dining here and it was a wonderful experience. Beautiful view, excellent service, and incredible dishes. A bottle of pinot blanc with a small plate and the confit special left room for dessert...an impressively large and silky creme brûlée. We plan on returning when friends are in town so we can show off Seattle's finest as well as when we want to celebrate our own special occasions (the atmosphere is perfect for a romantic dinner.) Thanks A la BF!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem Says it AllOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014Love this restaurant. Fantastic food, charming setting, great view, and wonderful service.Special Features:
- DateNightDinnerDined on 4/18/2014Wonderful diner, thank you! The food was great and the service spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.