A Food Affair Restaurant
1513 South Robertson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035Neighborhood:
West Los Angeles
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
A Food Affair Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.afoodaffair.com/
- Phone: 3105579795
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Christian Royere
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: WE specialize in private events, corporate functions, wedding and more.We offer off-site catering.A food affair will custom design menu to make your event truly unique and memorable On-site catering available our restaurant has a lovely back patio who can accommodate about 60 guests.
- Entertainment: Restaurant is available for corporate or private function during Lunch time
A word from A Food Affair Restaurant
Long-time, highly regarded French caterers open new restaurant. Babette and Christian Royere, owners of the former “Babette’s Restaurant” in the Marina and “A Food Affair Catering” (est. 1997) are proud to announce the opening of “A Food Affair” restaurant. “A Food Affair” features French American cuisine in a charming, romantic atmosphere where patrons dine amidst a sophisticated mix of antique French furnishings and industrial lighting. Chef/Owner Christian Royere, a “go to” caterer for well-known figures in the entertainment industry (both behind and in front of the camera), is a master of creating French cuisine with an American “twist.” Bouillabaisse, beef bourguignon, moules frites are just a few of the mouth-watering delights done an innovative way. The Royeres’ support local substantial and organic practices whenever possible and the entire menu reflects their commitment to excellence. Babette and Christian look forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
A Food Affair Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (54)romantic (40)special occasion (36)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (15)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Still good, though uneven.FateoptionalDined on 9/10/2014Second time eating here -- it's a great place to have in the neighborhood, and love the free corkage. The bread served at the table is pretty standard, and is a place where the restaurant could bump it up a notch with something more special. Mushroom tart = excellent. Grilled romaine w/mango = okay, but not a dish that calls out to be ordered again. Spinach pasta was rich but very good. Signature Beef Bourguignon was unfortunately under-seasoned and needs some attention. It's a good dish, but feels like it's a little on auto-pilot. This is a good restaurant, and when the chef takes the extra care, it can be great. Service always good and friendly.Special Features:
- Just what I wanted!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Personal attention, intimate dining, low lighting, delicious REAL food, no condescension, my own wine... What more could I ask for really?! On top of which we really appreciated the table proportions which allowed for closer proximity to partner with enough room for the food and wine! Fun decor touches kept my senses happy too--tree slice "chargers", rock wall, candy store canisters.... Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!kathe90035VIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful duck and service; all 4 of us had a great time. Bring your own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmiromarDined on 9/4/2014Love the host, server and atmosphere. Most of all, I love the BYOB}Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseDaintyDinerDined on 9/4/2014Very unassuming area, but the food and decor will really wow you. There is plenty of street and side parking, meters were free by the time I got there for dinner around 8PM. Sweet potato gnocchi is a must try for starters, heavenly. Their hibiscus homemade iced tea was a bit too tart for me. Spinach linguini is uniquely served in a bowl that could have been freshly carved from a tree. Recommend for small parties and date nights.Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodieForeverDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious. Slightly over priced for the portions (except the steak) I loved to potato gnocchi, but really wanted more then 4 for $13. The steak was amazing and perfectly cooked. It is BYOB, which has it's good points and bad. I do think the "glass fee" is a little ridiculous. I understand a corkage fee if you offer alcohol yourself, but if people have to bring it the least you should do is not charge them for doing so. Our server was very nice and helpful, and the overall experience was a good one. Just be careful of the hidden fees, $2 for a glass for wine, $3 to split the bill and the list goes on.Special Features:
- DickDined on 8/24/2014We had an outstanding meal and have already made plans to return in a few weeks with additional friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Can't go wrong with appetizers, entrees and desserts. BYO wine. The owners and staff are so kind and on top of their game!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French tucked in on RobertsonBarbaraBVIPDined on 8/23/2014BYOB with no corkage fee! ambitious menu with excellent implementation. small rooms, excellent service. Cozy. Fabulous food. the crab cakes are fresh and a bit zingy either as an appetizeer or main. The best moule frite in Southern California as far as I know. the gerilled romaine is a wild array of colors and flavors. I thought the cauliflower appetizer was beautiful and tasty but a bit too much olive oil. Desserts are updated classic. the coconut creme caramel was the least of them but still good. They strive to make it YOUR meal. what a change of perspective.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightLeemsBDined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere, excellent presentation, very welcoming staff and chef! Really glad we tried this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodkathe90035VIPDined on 8/19/2014This is one of my favorite places. Love what they do with duck.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantcheviotdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food is always delicious and the chef could not be nicer- he always comes out to greet his patrons. The byob policy is also really nice. A great neighborhood restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not that goodyummchaDined on 7/27/2014The duck did not have much flavor, the burrata/macaron salad was slightly too sweet, flavors did not work well together, the creme brulee was decent.
- Great experiencereviewfromheartDined on 7/26/2014Our dinner at a food affair was a great experience for me and my friend to hangout and to taste some good french food. While the main course wasn't that dazzling, the desserts were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineLA - yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014Love the new items on the DineLA menu!! We will be back ASAP!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great AmbienceArielDined on 7/20/2014Visited this resturant for Dine LA. My boyfriend and I selected the Duck Confit for our entrees. Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CKnightDined on 7/20/2014Excellent service, top notch cooking and beautiful venue. Christian and Babbette make the experience enjoyable and memorable. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a romantic dinner location with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place, great foodSaSaDined on 7/18/2014Love this place, is so romantic and the food is great. We even got to meet the chef. I had a lemon mousse cake, I got to say I was never a big fan of lemon dessert, but this lemon cake made me change my mind about lemon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of dineLA!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014So glad to find this place from dineLA! Everything from the service to the food was wonderful. The chef even came out to greet the diners, which is top notch in my book. I would come again after restaurant week and highly recommend! Also note: it's BYOB with no corkage fee, but $2 per glass change. They let you know that there is a mini-mart about two blocks away, but I suggest you have something ahead of time. It's worth it!Special Features:
- BYOB Dinner NiteNatashaDined on 7/17/2014Dined during DineLA and had a great time! BYOB is a nice option and perfect for a group dinner bc everyone can bring their fav bottle and share with the table. Very cost effective ;) for date nights too! The food was very hearty and flavorful but light! My fav appetizer was the macaroon and burrata and the beef Bourguignon is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatfoodsearchVIPDined on 7/16/2014Pleasantly surprised. Went for Dine LA. Every course was fresh and perfectly prepared. Bring your own wine, free corkage. But the ice tea was very refreshing. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Kelly's Komments"KellyVIPDined on 7/16/2014We came for the dineLA program and BYOB, and was the first couple there at 6:00. By the time we left around 8:15, the place was jumping and packed. Service was attentive. The server explained the several dishes which were in French. Parking is on-street and traffic was heavy at the time we arrived. We would return to sample their regular menu. Their BYOB policy is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Authentic French FarejacqDined on 7/14/2014Love our local French bistro. Food is always great and love the neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- AwesomenessOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/10/2014This has quickly become my husband's and my favorite place to eat. The food is always excellent, and the service is top notch. It should be more expensive than it is. One of our favorite things is you can bring in your own wine without a corkage fee. They don't have a liquor license yet. They always have fresh ingredients, and I have zero problem ordering gluten free there. The chef owner has come out to everyone's tables every time we've been there, which is a very nice touch. Personal attention is a lost art in LA.Special Features:
- a lovely meallikestocookDined on 7/6/2014The food was very good. The waiter was efficient, and the service was very good. The patio is very lovely but unfortunately sits on a busy street so there is some traffic noise. The chef came out to meet us and say hello, which was great. We could see how much the restaurant means to him and how hard he works to prepare delicious food and give good service. It's great to see someone who really cares about his customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014Their mushroom torte was a delicious appetizer but not all of their appetizers were amazing like the duck or asparagus. I liked the free cork fee and their desserts were delicious. The main courses were pricey but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, but greatnomoroDined on 7/3/2014This place was extremely busy, which was understandable for a fourth of July weekend. The food was amazing, the service was a bit slow and the crowd was BUSY and LOUD. overall it was a great experience, for as expensive as it was I would have expected at least better service, and maybe cleaner tables.. but overall I enjoyed it.Special Features:
- A Food Affair....GplusJDined on 6/26/2014Best little French restaurant I've been to in LA...Rich food presented like a work of art. Pleasant staff and attentive chef/owner who came out to greet you. Will come back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner!!!KDAYDined on 6/21/2014I don't think i could say enough about this restaurant. I came for my birthday dinner and the restaurant owners graciously gave us a huge table on the back patio to accommodate all 20 of us. If feels like you've come to your aunts house to have dinner with family. I was greeted by the owner Babette who welcomed me in and the head chef came out to personally to give us recommendations on the food. All the staff was incredibly attentive and nice. The food was DELICIOUS and words don't describe the desserts. If you want a low key evening with good friends this is the place to have it. Quality food, superb service, lovely atmosphere, i just might come here every year for my birthday. Thanks to all the staff for making it a fabulous evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date PlacebcullyDined on 6/21/2014This place is romantic, quaint, and delicious! The food was SO good and was served in reasonable portions, but my only negative is that it is a bit pricey. The service is amazing though--they really go out of their way to make sure you have what you need. If you are willing to splurge every once in a while, this is the place to do so at. Perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014From all of the great reviews I had read, I was really expecting to be blown away. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Since it was a Thursday evening, the back patio was not open. The inside seating area was very warm, so we sat on the front patio. The floor is uneven which cause the tables to be the same and our wine bottle kept sliding across the table. Server was nice and accomodating. I had the rib eye, which was not a very good quality. Tough and fatty. Husband got the beef bourg. which was fairly small and he thought pretty flavorless. Chef came out to check on our food which was a nice touch. Wish we would have enjoyed the food more. Maybe it was an off night but I don't think I will return.
- Consistently great!LouLouBelleVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is my 3rd time in 4 months and it's wonderful every single time. Everything is so good, service is always impeccable. A true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- must try escargot!MijorkDined on 6/12/2014I came to this place for my birthday. I am not a really foodie person but every all i think the quality of the food is good but the reason for 3 stars is my main dish . My boyfriend had rib eye stake and i had their (supposedly special dish) beef Bourgeion... it was disappointing. Because our waiter told us that this is their special that we cannot eat at many places so I decided to try instead of other main dish. It is not bad but wasnt that great either. I am really not a picky person but I like having food without putting salt added later. I had to put salt because there wasnt much flavor. However their escargot was super delicious. its sauce was perfect! I will give another try and get something other than Beef Bourgeion.Special Features:
- A memorable experienceVHung08VIPDined on 6/7/2014I was very pleasantly surprised by this small but quaint establishment. We weren't expecting anything amazing, but had found this place on Yelp and Opentable as having decent ratings for French cuisine. It was for my birthday celebration and the staff repeatedly came by to wish me a happy birthday. The chef Christian also came by to see how we were enjoying our meal and was gracious enough to share his recipe for the mushroom tourte with us. This place is special because it does not go crazy with complex flavors and allows you to really appreciate the natural flavors of the food and ingredients. There is also a really nice back patio that you can use for special events if interested.Special Features:
- Remarkable, yet againJudgeJoeVIPDined on 6/7/2014This was our forth or fifth time at Food Affair. Each time we have come with a different friend, enjoying introducing them to this wonderful restaurant and it never disappoints. I am not "a foodie," yet one of our friends noted that I made an "ummm" sound with virtually every bite. A great place to have a delightful meal, and adding to the enjoyment is the fact that the owners really show appreciation for your being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gem!rimesparse190Dined on 6/6/2014The restaurant is cozy and the staff is professional and friendly. I've enjoyed everything I've tried on and off the menu - lamb shank, rib eye, chicken, brussel sprouts, snapper, sweet potato gnocchi, fries, chocolate mousse. My absolute favorite thing about A Food Affair is that the chef makes an effort to visit each table and greet the patrons. This is the perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeQuissieVIPDined on 6/1/2014Had a very good meal here the other night. It seemed more crowded but that didn't keep our waiter from providing snappy service. We were served in a most timely manner and everything was cooked to delishousness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful Saturday night dinner!JamesDined on 5/31/2014I enjoyed an absolutely delicious Saturday night dinner with friends and cannot say when I enjoyed such a fabulous meal at such reasonable prices! The restaurant was quiet so that our group could speak without straining to hear one another as is the case with so many other LA restaurants. The only drawback was that it was an overly warm restaurant both inside and on the patio despite a cool evening. If they air circulation could be improved that would make is an excellent place to dine. I highly recommend the restaurant to the LA crowd if you want a spectacular dinner at great prices without having to shout at one another to be heard! Make sure you dress lightly because of the overly warm restaurant or prepare to fan yourself to keep cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingtrickydDined on 5/29/2014Food Affair is one of my favorite spots. I had the scallop quinoa special (yummy). The appetizers like the mushroom torte and the grilled romain were fabulous as well. The owners are always friendly and welcoming. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleased!/Very disappointed!Chef2014Dined on 5/29/2014I selected this restaurant because of the great reviews and the fact my wife and I enjoy French cuisine. It was an anniversary celebration which I told them upon making a reservation, upon arrival, and again with the server. First and foremost, the food lacked flavor. Sad to say, I had to add salt and pepper to the chicken as well as beef bourguignon. I have never had such tasteless food. They made no mention of our anniversary not even wished us a Happy Anniversary. We didn't want to take a chance on dessert since our food was such a big disappointment and chose to go to another restaurant. I would not recommend this restaurant for food or catering. There are many other better choices!