A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
A Fish Called Avalon
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.afishcalledavalon.com/
- Phone: 3055321727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kal Abdalla
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A Fish Called Avalon offers professional planning assistance and custom menu options for all of your entertainment needs. Our specialized hospitality service ensures that your group meeting, dinner party, cocktail reception, or special event will be a success. Please call 305.532.1727 to plan your next party.
- Entertainment: Caribbean, Latin and Jazz
- Special Events: A Fish Called Avalon is a perfect location for your group dinner, cocktail reception, company party or any special event.
A word from A Fish Called Avalon
Located in the heart of The Art Deco District on Ocean Drive, A Fish Called Avalon features Modern American Seafood with tropical influences, impeccable service and nightly entertainment that further captures the true ambiance of South Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
A Fish Called Avalon - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
A Fish Called Avalon reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (68)fit for foodies (52)romantic (46)special occasion (41)scenic view (39)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (25)notable wine list (16)good for groups (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014The lady of the bar makes the best mojitos of the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food does not tastePassion7Dined on 10/22/2014Overpriced for the food quality you get. Food tastes of nothing. Portions are big and names in theorysound good but tge disges taste the same. If you value the taste do not recommend!Special Features:
- Fabulous appetizers!FrannieDined on 10/21/2014Everything about the restaurant was excellent! I especially liked the octopus and calamari appetizers. Yum! The drinkers were delicious too!Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I had the macadamia crusted snapper with the spinach risotto and it was divine. My husband loved his crab encrusted grouper also. Had a side of Asian baby beans that were good but not the best we've ever had. We would absolutely go back and recommend Avalon to others. Just wish you could actually see the ocean instead of the signs and barriers in front of the beach but this is the case all along south beach. Rooftop dining would be a fabulous option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so experience!MatildaDined on 10/21/2014The reviews sold us to book here but our dinner was just average to disappointing. We had a nice , beautifully presented appetizer of tuna tartare and exceptionally large salads but grouper that was dry over a bed of over-cooked spinach . There are many other fine dining outdoors restaurant options to choose for a pricy dinner on South Beach! The best thing about AFCA is it's cute name.. And did anyone say it's The Avalon hotel's entrance/lobby?Special Features:
- GREAT SOUTH BEACH EXPERIENCE...WehocaDined on 10/18/2014Three of us visiting from LA wanted to see a bit of South Beach so ended up at A Fish Called Avalon after walking Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, etc. It was a welcome, upscale find after hoofing past a few more of the more nightclubish, fried bar food places. This was great. Beautiful outdoor dining as the entertaining parade passed us by. The food was great…we just ended up getting a bunch of appetizers and split a few entrees. Our server, Orlando, couldn't have been more charming or helpful. He was very accommodating as we told him what we wanted and he customized the experience for us. Loved the crab cakes and warm lobster salad…a tangy piece of Key Lime pie capped off the delightful experience. Would I go back? Absolutely!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints ! !AdamVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have been coming to Southbeach for over 20 years and I have to say, every time i come here, Fish Called Avalon is always a must. The seafood is always fresh and outstanding...the location on the strip is at the edge of the crazy heavy crowds, but you still get great people watching...the service is always top notch with knowledgeable staff. The tuna and snapper are two of my favorite entrees !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUSY BUSY BUSYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I DIDN'T REALISE THIS PLACE WAS ON THE PAVEMENT OF OCEAN DRIVE - WHICH MAKES IT REALLY BUSY WITH PEDESTRIANS WALKING BY CONSTANTLY. THE FOOD WAS GOOD, AND SO TOO WAS THE SERVICE - IT WAS A BIT PRICEY CONSIDERING YOU ARE SAT ON THE PAVEMENT ! NOT A RELAXING MEAL, BUT GREAT FOR PEOPLE WATCHING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencessleeDined on 10/17/2014It was just wonderful. Very good service, nice view - great ambiance...amazing food. There were 7 of us - it was perfect. Would love to go there again next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Drive scenekjninamherstVIPDined on 10/13/2014Solid experience for the South Beach Ocean Drive scene. At least it's a real (non-chain) place. Service was solid, first course was good, entrees not as good, fish a bit overcooked and dry. Key lime pie was goodSpecial Features:
- Excellent JobOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/11/2014One of the few places on Ocean Dr. that earns the automatic 18% service charge. The service was fantastic, the food was amazing and the staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodValeryDined on 10/9/2014Very friendly atmosphere. Excellent food. It is a little pricy but it's worth the money. I would visit this place againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as Noted!DaveseeVIPDined on 10/7/2014We've been to South Beach several times and eaten at several restaurants over the years. For our latest visit I was looking for a nice place for dinner. The reviews on Open Table helped me find this marvelous restaurant! Everything about it was perfect - EVERYTHING. Although we were there on a Tuesday night, the traffic (walking and driving) was entertainment enough as well as the other patrons enjoying the scene and the food. Our waiter was extremely helpful in deciding on wonderful dishes. I love Salmon and this dish was prepared perfectly and was very generous, with nice accompaniments. My wife had the seafood medley which included a very nice piece of lobster! Don't miss this if you are in South Beach!Special Features:
- Best spot on Ocean Drive!LorraineVIPDined on 10/6/2014We were so happy to have a lovely patio table at this oasis in the middle of the Ocean Drive madness. The service was excellent and the wine and food were absolutely delicious! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great night out in MiamiFrequentDinnerDined on 10/5/2014After reading a ton of reviews for dinner choices around Miami Beach, my husband and I went with this seafood restaurant on the beach. We were not disappointed with our choice and would definitely come back! The food was delicious and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully called fishGramil10Dined on 10/4/2014Fish and seafood served as its best, in this busy ocean drive gem. Everything was very well done for us!!! Enjoy your experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.ShatochatoVIPDined on 10/1/2014Nice atmosphere with a great waiter who attended to our every need. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CelebrationjgarciaDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary. We decided to go with the Miami Spice menu. The service and ambiance of the restaurant was very good. The choices on the menu were varied which is why we chose the place. The food was truly great. Will definitely be coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean Drive winnertoydocVIPDined on 9/21/2014On Ocean drive there are so many tourist trap restaurants; this one is a REAL restaurant with awards and a great chef. The Chef (Kal) creates dishes that are delicious and meet all the best food taste requirements. All dishes are well prepared. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- AwsomeAlpolivDined on 9/20/2014Thank you very much it was a great experience. Thanks for the special attention for rose on the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!tweetersDined on 9/20/2014GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE. QUIET FOR AN EVENING MEAL . MUSIC WAS RELAXING. MY FIRST VISIT BUT WILL BE BACK AGAIN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Overall the food was good. However, the orzo paella was absolutely fantastic. It is impossible to overstate how delicious this dish is.Special Features:
- Good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I was our second time in this restaurant because we liked it so much. The food was very good. We chose the Miami Spice menu and it was really good value. I had the shrimp bang bang and the macadamia snapper followed by the cheese cake. The service was very fast and friendly. We had a table on the terrace wich had a good ambiance without beeing too noisy. All in all a great dinning experience!Special Features:
- We are coming back!JohnPivVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent seafood, service and the scene of South BeachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on South beachKatyDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food whilst watching the craziness of ocean drive from the relative calm of this restaurant. I choose from the miami spice menu which was excellent value for 3 good sized courses. Would definitely recommend the bang bang shrimp. My husband had the tuna tartare to start which looked amazing and tasted great, followed by the swordfish special which was cooked to melt in the mouth perfection.Special Features:
- We would go again anytime!Star99VIPDined on 9/4/2014The meal was wonderful we had the special 3 course for 39 a person. The food was excellent. Our waiter also provided great service. We are coming back here every time we come back to Miami.Special Features:
- Nice place, but trying too hardfunfoodDined on 9/1/2014We were seated right away, but it was a Monday, so not that impressed. We chose a table outside, this one was actually right on the sidewalk with people walking by, which we quite enjoyed taking in the local atmosphere while on vacation. But there was no smoking at the table despite smoking pedestrians passing by (literally right beside me). The service was great. The seafood in the payaya was a little over-cooked, oysters were tiny. Everything was tasty, but as we were there specifically there for the seafood, (for exception of the tuna tartar, which was fantastic) we were not impressed. Overall, it might be good place for a special occasion, but I would not recommend it for those looking for a unique dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent SeaFood in Ocean DriveJuanDined on 9/1/2014Fantastic option with a amazing scenic view of Ocean Drive (funny and continuous parade and for free!!). Excellent seafood options (scallops were very good), nice few fish options (Grouper was sublime). We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I went to this restaurant for the seafood. The food was great and the waiter was very nice, however, the A/C was very weak and we where all sweating at the table furing dinner. Imagine trying to enjoy a great dinner and going inside to avoid the humidity and hot weather of outside but it tunrs out just as uncomfortable and hot inside. In addition, the food was not high priced, however, when you order some wine the glass cost $30. So you spend $80 for 3 people to eat and $120 for the 4 glasses of wine. This was a catastrophe for our night. Go in and check out the A/C before you order and try to order water for the night.Special Features:
- A South Beach Surprisefab4seafoodDined on 8/31/2014Amid the chaos and parade of characters that make up South Beach, we found this dining gem. We had reserved a table on the upper lever of the terrace, a perfect spot for viewing the insane street life of this unique neighborhood. Our waiter arrived quickly, presented menus, chilled water, and explained the "Miami Spice" week specialties and the wine list. We started with shucked to order oysters that were rich in flavor, accented with a mild vinaigrette and topped with diced peppers and shallots -- a terrific combination of flavors. Plump, green lipped muscles and generous sea scallops as entrees were prepared to perfection. The seafood sensations were complemented by a dry Cabernet/Shiraz Rose. A perfect meal to cap off the day!Special Features:
- Great drinks and really tasty foodRoxaCDined on 8/29/2014We ordered off of the Miami Spice menu. Everything from the appetizers to the deserts was great. I ordered a vegetarian pasta dish even though I am not a vegetarian and it was amazing. Very big portions. The service was very prompt besides a small lag when we had to get the bill. But the best thing about this place were the drinks. I wanted to try all the drinks on the menu, they all sounded really good, but only had two, and they were both some of the best I've ever had. We stayed at the outdoor seating so it was noisier than inside, but still much less crowded and loud than other restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLisam19Dined on 8/28/2014Everything was fresh and tasty! Tuna was perfect. We sat outside so we got to people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settingAriannaDined on 8/26/2014We had an almost perfect dinner in a party of 6. Our table was on the patio, as requested, and it was perfect. Food very good, the only thing was our waiter. He just asked us what we'd like to eat, but forgot the drinks. After that we had to wait for a while to order the drinks. Anyway, great setting,great food and we didn't wait long until the food came in. We'll go back for sure at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Consistently SuperbHousemouseVIPDined on 8/24/2014As a regular diner at A Fish Called Avalon, I can say the service, food and ambiance are consistently superb. The staff are all welcoming and make every effort to ensure that one's dining experience is just right every time. As a seafood eater, I find the menu choices highly appealing and with enough variety to select something different each time, although I usually end up going back to my delicious favorites: bang bang shrimp and crab crusted grouper. Both evoke a feeling of the tropics, which runs through the restaurant via Chef Kal's spectacular preparations, as well as the Latin music, and the palm trees that sway over the sidewalk of the restaurant. It is one of the few truly classy places left on Ocean Drive. Try it!Special Features:
- Review from Grace of Golf TravelGolfTravelGuyDined on 8/21/2014Even though we focus on great golf experiences, it's our job to identify quality dining options. While staying at the Loews Miami Beach, the concierge included A Fish Called Avalon. It was our favorite from a week in FL. 'Grace' started with the jumbo shrimp cocktail and I only wish I could post the picture of it. I had the Bang Bang Shrimp and it is hard to say whether I better enjoyed the shrimp or the medley of flavors accompanying it. Grace had one of the chef specials, perfectly moist swordfish with steamed spinach and carrots. I made an excellent choice with seafood risotto. But the desserts! Do not leave w/o trying the creme brulee. There is NONE better anywhere! So pleased with tastes and presentations, we asked to meet chef Cal.Special Features:
- GREAT Birthday Dinner!MsChay84Dined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed my time here with my girls, we were treated spectacularly! We had a great outside table on the strip, which was exactly what I wanted and we were taken care of the WHOLE time. This was my first time having Paella and it was DELICIOUS! We were seated on time, even though we were about 5 minutes late, it was no problem. I would DEFINITELY recommend this place for special occasions. We had a marvelous time!Special Features:
- Good Food, Wonderful service.EpicureanExperiencesDined on 8/14/2014Located along the Art Deco preserved Ocean Drive strip, the A Fish Called Avalon is located on the ground floor of the Avalon Hotel. Along with many other restaurants in the area, it reminds one of a bygone era, when things were just a little simpler. The food is well prepared and the portions generous. We participated in the restaurants Miami Spice, menu selection, consisting of escargots, lamb shank, and sorbet for desert. The wine selected was a 2009 Syrah from Paso Robles, which paired perfectly with the Lamb. A wonderful dinning experience to end our vacation week in and around the South Beach Area. Note: one may want to consider the Valet Parking if travelling by car. Finding a parking spot in the immediate area can be challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good meal and great value.ThadVIPDined on 8/11/2014Avalon has been around for a long time bc they have good food, give good service and its at great location. We split the seafood rissoto which was outstanding and more than two people could eat. It really felt like the staff cared about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageGoodchampagneVIPDined on 8/11/2014I have to say I was expecting an outstanding meal seeing as so many people rated this restaurant so high. The inside warranted a lot of flies in the restaurant which isn't a good sign. The restaurant also smelled a bit mildewy. The meal wasn't memorable just average.
- CustomerGinaDined on 8/8/2014This was a great find. The food was superb, ambience was very nice. This was our anniversary weekend and it was made more special by this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.